Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Updated: 12/01/2010 11:33:20

* Still very stormy in Munster, mostly affecting Cork & Kerry. There is a mixture of conditions with high winds, spot flooding and lingering ice. Motorists are advised to watch out for debris. Particular care should be taken on secondary routes nationwide. *CONDITIONS* *MUNSTER* *CORK/KERRY* Severe flooding on the N22 Cork/ Tralee Rd, especially between Macroom and Lissarda- barely passable, also flooding approaching Killarney. *CORK CITY* Very stormy. Sarsfield Rd is completely impassable due to debris and surface water. Gardai are also advising motorists to avoid Lee Rd, Magazine Rd and Centre Park Rd. • There are a number of trees down on Bantry/Drimoleague Rd (R586) and flooding around the Abbey in Bantry. • In Cobh, there is ice at Cuskinny, Ballybrassil, Bellard Hill and Spy Hill. • In north Cork the Doneraile/Castletownroche Rd near Mallow remains blocked due to icy conditions.

• There are no Bus Eireann services on the Skibbereen/Baltimore Rd (R595) or on the Ballingeary/Inchigeelagh Rd (R583) due to fallen trees. *KERRY* Very stormy and windy throughout Co. Kerry. Watch out for surface water and spot flooding as ice thaws, in particular approaching Killarney on the N72 Killorglin Rd where there is a stop/go system in place by Fossa National School because of the flooding. • Continue to take care on the Ardfert/ Ballyheigue Rd (R551), on all routes around Causeway, Ballyduff & Abbeydorney. *LIMERICK* Icy on the Newcastle West/ Drumcollogher Rd (R519/520). Watch out for debris on the N21 Adare/Limerick Rd. *CLARE* Main St in Killaloe remains closed at present. Icy conditions on Killaloe/ O'Briensbridge Rd (R463). * Take care on all routes through The Burren due to icy conditions. Avoid the Lisdoonvarna/ Kilfenora/Corrofin Rd (R476). Motorists are advised to stick to the main national routes.

*LEINSTER* *WICKLOW* Conditions have improved on lower ground in Wicklow but motorists should continue to avoid the Sally Gap & Wicklow Gap. Conditions are worse in Glencree and on Military Rd than they have been in previous days. *KILDARE* Watch out for slush and black ice on the M9 northbound in the right hand lane just before the M7 junction. *LAOIS* Watch out for Black ice around Portlaoise. Also strong cross winds on the M7 Dublin/Limerick Rd. Drivers of high sided vehicles should be particularly careful. *OFFALY* Black ice on the N52 Tullamore/Birr Rd, the N62 Birr/Roscrea Rd and treacherous around Aghancon. *WESTMEATH* The Rochfortbridge/Tyrallspass Rd (R161) & the Rochfortbridge/Mullingar Rd (R400) are hazardous due to black ice. There is also black ice around Athlone.

*ULSTER* *CAVAN* Still very icy on secondary roads throughout the county but conditions on main roads have greatly improved. *CONNAUGHT* *LEITRIM* Gardai are reporting black ice on the N16 between Manorhamilton and Blacklion. *ROSCOMMON* Major improvement across the county, still some patches of ice on the Boyle/Frenchpark Rd (R361), Boyle/Gurteen Rd (R294) and on secondary roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

paddybar; is all OK at home? I have to admit that my first thought was.. "FIREWOOD!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Strong gales here now.

The Howth reading i look at is showing 3.3c/1.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Powers back on. Still no rain here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Storm is now entering a phase where everything cools down by 1-2 degrees, but winds ease off, wet snow will be on the ascendancy and rain/fog will be more confined to lower elevations and southern half of the country.

More details available over in forecast thread. Thanks for all the info and friendly chat, I hope we helped some people plan their day and avoid some troubles. The road report sounds about like the forecast discussions we had earlier.

There will likely be some interesting news stories trickling in from outlying areas of Kerry, Cork and Limerick with the very strong winds they have had, I just hope nobody was trying to drive some of those higher back roads that I remember so well. If it's like what I'm used to around here, there are some wind tunnel effects between high hills that can produce gusts strong enough to blow a vehicle off the road and they won't necessarily be recorded at any weather station. These are lee waves and they can double the wind gusts recorded at weather stations in some cases. It's just the upper level winds coming down to the surface.

Back to see nature's solutions to the puzzle at some much later time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Jo Wheeler from Sky News reckons that the cold may win out the day and push the milder air back out to the atlantic. This i rpesume is where MT's potential feed of cold air back over the east coast may be coming from.

http://blogs.news.sky.com/theweathergirls/Post:7359ee28-2f49-4284-94ac-0cd9a2c9f5ab

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's really bad in Cork now - still driving rain and high winds and a few main roads are already closed - sarsfield road R/A, kinsale road R/A onto the Tramore Road, Magazine Road, Lee Road Centre Park Road.

It's dangerous out there lads - take care:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Temp here gone upto 3.2 from 2.5 this morning at 10am at that range we are looking at rain here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Light sleety rain here and a near gale force east/south easterly. Given our snow shield effectiveness, that's all we'll get, but it wouldn't take much to tuen this lot to snow I'd say....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Temperatures falling, I don't have an accurate thermometer at present but what it does show is temperature is falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Temp dropped to 1.6c here and i cant believe what im about to say but.......The rain is turning to snow!

Very very wet at the moment, but can see it on the window and settling on the car. Some big flakes mixed in with the rain as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

wind in galway city is defo at worst now some severe gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

nothing much happing here, wind has died down as i type, no rain nothing dark clounds though, boring weather atm.

Definitely turning to wet snow more and more now - swirling in the gusts. Bitterly cold wind chill.
    Remains to be seen if this will settle. Ground is still cold so a good chance I think, but a long way to go yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

What is falling here has turned from sleet with a lot of snow flakes in it to more and more wet snow here in the last 30 minutes. Someone is going to get a good snow blast I think by the looks of what's happening here, it appears to be moving to the snow side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

feck I just opened window nearly fecking came off... anyhow i thought it was raining here in galway some drips on my window, just realise that was there since much earlier, (so no rain at all for last few hours) its also very cold, wind would cut you in two, could be a fun afternoon, where the hell is the snow/rain/sleet, im confused..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

still nothing here despite what the radar shows

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Very windy here and the rain just starting, still feels very cold, not sure what temps we have.

God i hope the floods don't happen again, think flooding must be the worst think to deal with, has never happened to myself. But for those it has I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its not now again for ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

where the hell is the snow/rain/sleet, im confused..

The rain is here in Cork anyway!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 veron01

Hi guys, have followed these weather threads for days. Great job!

Thick fog coming down from Killeshin in Carlow. Wind and rain are going hard at it and as I type I see snow flakes mixed in with rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Completely dry here again in Galway. Still overcast and mean windspeeds dropping, now down to 17mph. 2.9c and steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

1st time ive seen percip on my SE facing windows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Heavy rain is turning to sleet here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

No rain/sleet nor snow here in Newbridge ,

But I have just noticed the DP is at -0.8 although the Air temp is at 3.1.

Strongest gust of wind was 53.1 Km/h at 8 this morning and the 10 minute average is 19.3km/h.

Grey clouds all around , there was a good thaw last night but there is still alot of snow , slush and Ice hanging about

Driving sleet now, is how I would describe it, turns to proper snow, swirls in the squalls, then dies off, back to sleet/snow again. If it keeps up like this, it won't be anything special, but it still could surprise us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Air temp has dropped to 0.5c now. Wind chill is condiserable. Snow has turned to wet snow now, which is surprising considering the air temp has dropped. The uppers must be warming somewhat. Not as gusty as it was an hour ago

NEWSTALK providing good coverage of weather

http://media.newstalk.ie/listen_live/popup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Still no form of precipitation here !!

ussx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Snowing in Tullow but not sticking from what I hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

all quiet in south dublin, the calm before the storm me thinks

Advertisement