Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

francosp wrote: »
    Percip has stopped. Is that it :(

The precip is only going to crawl north.

GFS only has the band creeping into us around now and according to it should be just a rainy mix, turning to snow as the evening progresses and not clearing Dublin until 12 tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just to let you know that those GFS charts i posted are usually quite reserved.

They are also pretty crap from an Irish perspective since they cut out about 2/3 of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Here in Sandyford it's not really coming down fast enough to stick to anything but the surfaces of cars.

No imminent scenes of worker panic. If the other commuters don't get too twitchy, I may get home before 9pm this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Still coming down at a huge rate here, great stuff altogether.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

They are also pretty crap from an Irish perspective since they cut out about 2/3 of the country.

They are French! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just in case anyone missed it, there is a new Met Eireann weather warning mentioning blizzards and accumulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it's just a pity the ground wasn't frozen before this snow started as many of us would have several inches of lieing snow by now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

It seems to have stopped here again ,

Its a strange one , the radar would have you believe that the precip should be constant but at the moment its very sporadic ,

Temp 1.9

DP 0.0

They are French! ;)

So why post them?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Right that's it.. I am going outside to call the front very bad names and see if it attacks me. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Wet snow here in Donnybrook.

Strange how slow the front is progressing given the wind speeds.

Snow flakes are biggin' up in size here but intensity not increasing. Tentative signs of sticking on small surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I would like to post a few charts, now, take them with a pinch of salt.

GFS 12z run,

Meso Model

6-574.GIF?12-12

9-574.GIF?12-12

12-574.GIF?12-12

15-574.GIF?12-12

18-574.GIF?12-12

21-574.GIF?12-12

So Dublin could have snow for the next 18 hours! :eek:

My son's school was going to reopen tomorrow after a couple of days when he could easily have gone in - maybe won't happen now? That's probably jinxed it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

And I will do it in front of the weather cam in case the front has internet access !:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

More rain than anything else in D2.

Hoping this comes to nothing as the traffic that is in store otherwise doesn't bare thinking about:( The snow is great and all but in terms of it adding 2-3 hours to your commute....no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good god if it snows that long I'll literally have to dig my way out the front door tomorrow if it keeps up at this rate!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Just in case anyone missed it, there is a new Met Eireann weather warning mentioning blizzards and accumulations.

only for the east and parts of the south though. the rest of us it seems don't count;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Good old MET Eireann ,

There always going to be correct , seems they change the forecasts 5 or 6 times a day !

I would go as far to say that they change their minds like the weather ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow starting to stick here, especially on flowerbeds but also the grass is taking on a slushy colour. Car windscreen and velux window is covered in slush too.

1.0c but DP took a bit of a jump up to 0.9c.

Don't be fooled by wet roads - if you look at NRA site, Sandyford Road temp was -0.1c at 1500. In heavier burst, snow can stick even to wet roads pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

irish1967 wrote: »
    And I will do it in front of the weather cam in case the front has internet access !:mad:

Mighty fine 'giving out' there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

So why post them?;)

Because they give an indication of expected Irish conditions, even if they do only show a small part of the country. ;)

Supercell wrote: »
    Good god if it snows that long I'll literally have to dig my way out the front door tomorrow if it keeps up at this rate!

Looking like there will be no work for you tomorrow then,

On a side note, do the conditions that we are now witnessing now mean that the cold weather is winning out against the warm front ?

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Because they give an indication of expected Irish conditions, even if they do only show a small part of the country. ;)

No, they don't. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Conditions are really really bad, a full blizzard in areas open to the south east wind. Whiteout conditions, several inches of snow with snow drifting. It really stings the eyes when out in it's full fury. Looking at the forecast it seems it will snow heavily for several hours yet.

Rain has eventually arrived here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    Utter utter whiteout here.
    Car stuck again, about 3 inces al;ready of new powder snow, unreal.
    If you live in the Annamoe/Roundwood area and are not home you arent getting home tonight simple as.

I bet to differ. I'm leaving for home in about 10 minutes...once the wife gets here...

Looking like there will be no work for you tomorrow then,

On a side note, do the conditions that we are now witnessing now mean that the cold weather is winning out against the warm front ?

for now yes it seems that way, but unfortunately the atlantic has another go on friday and wins. the bbc is even showing rain for the north of england out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Alan Smithee

wet and windy in wexford with no chance of snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

We have had some amount of rain today. Lots of localised flooding and trees blown over onto roads. The roof was blown off our shed too last night. The wind and rain were scary at times!

If this precip falls as snow it will be just insane:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

AndyP wrote: »
    Wet snow here in Donnybrook.

Strange how slow the front is progressing given the wind speeds.
    Getting sleety here now 2c, Dublin Airport (3 miles away) 4c, cant understand the difference?

Advertisement