Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Varyn

jenzz wrote: »
    Just spotted on AA - The Ashford/Roundwood Rd (R764) is impassable. Approx. 30 cars are stuck along the R755 near Old Long Hill. Gardaí advise against unnecessary travel in the area.

Those 30 cars are like stuck indeliverance...... Worst place inworld to get stuck !

I live around there, between ashford and roundwood. Been snowing heavily non-stop since about half1 (as soon as I decided that I might get out of the house for the afternoon!) along with strong winds. Snow was starting to disappear this morning but now it's worse. Luckily i decided not to go out although my brother and dad are trying to get home from work and school right now :(

Just heard on east coast there devil's glen hill completely impassable, cars stuck there too. It's still snowing too..

Edit: They got stuck..between newtownmountkennedy and ballyduff. Another car stalled in front of them, so they got stuck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

There was a mini tornado in Achill. :eek:

Lots of heavy sleet showers in Athlone over the past hour or so, getting whiter as time goes by. 1.3C here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Supercell wrote: »
    Tis mad, when the snow gets really heavy you stop seeing individual flakes, it just looks like a fog, really weird, like that last hour or so here.

And it looks like the heaviest precip wont be reaching you for another 3 or 4 hours Supercell... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Just tuned in. Should be interesting.

he just read out the met.ie forecast! (Wouldnt like to be up at the airport )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

deep easterly what are the chances of snow galway region city a few miles past etc, i cant take much more

The Galway region is in the borderline position at the moment, we will more likely have waves of slightly warmer air running through at times over the next 24 hrs. Really hard to predict though, so if it snows, don't be surprised. The front is also slowiy moving north so chances will lessen tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Supercell wrote: »
    Last glimpse of my webcam before darkness, you get the idea...

webcam.jpg

looks like the alps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

snow ghost wrote: »
    N17 blocked at knock airport, truck turned over and blizzard conditions. Gardai recommend anyone going that way find another route.

And apparently there is a special program tonight on TV3 at 8pm 'Frozen Ireland' about the recent weather and Ireland's ability to cope with it.

Groan...does anyone else think that's like someone making a documentary about your working week and making you watch it after work when you go home to chill out? We know they've failed at controlling it, they can't make any entertaining programmes... so make more of stuff to give out about....:eek: enough already!

Dublin city is not getting snow. D2 is just piddlin down with rain at moment.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Temp up and down here between 0.8c and 1.0c, DP fairly constant at 0.8c.

Could just do with 0.5c drop for big accumulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Down to 2.0/1.1 in Howth now.

Again snow will take its time to fall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Still snowing like mad here. Met Éireann should be ashamed of themselves. ;)

Any of the weather experts know what would have caused the reported mini tornado in Achill?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Any of the weather experts know what would have caused the reported mini tornado in Achill?

cold air sinking through warm air?

Pun_Tornado_Gun_Color.jpg

:D

Mid West has just reported blizzards in south Sligo, anyone there???

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

snaps wrote: »
    if its snowing in dublin, it'll be on the news then.

No more snow here in Donnybrook. Thanks to RTE for fitting the anti-snow device to the mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Left the office in Sandyford at 4pm and got home to Swords in an hour. Nice.

However, while it was snowing in Sandyford, it's sleety rain here and the temp is a good 2.5C higher here too.

Not looking too good for any snow here :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Cheers DE;) will have to wait and see, i will just glance at Supercells weather in awe instead:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

GFS is goin for snow for east NI tonight and sleet in the West, prob be other way round although BBC think it will be rain or sleet. Thats if it makes it up North. She is blowin a gale all day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

To think we are 1c away from a blizzard, another close but no cigar scenario, one day one day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

OK expert chappies ! Looking and following the charts and especially the radar I am getting a growing feeling that everything is going to miss me here in Donegal Town. Its drifting North and east. I have had absolutely no precipitation here at all today. Your views please :)

John mac wrote: »
    he just read out the met.ie forecast! (Wouldnt like to be up at the airport )

Just got an earful of ****e ballroom dance music. Knocked it off lively. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Varyn wrote: »
    I live around there, between ashford and roundwood. Been snowing heavily non-stop since about half1 (as soon as I decided that I might get out of the house for the afternoon!) along with strong winds. Snow was starting to disappear this morning but now it's worse. Luckily i decided not to go out although my brother and dad are trying to get home from work and school right now :(

Just heard on east coast there devil's glen hill completely impassable, cars stuck there too. It's still snowing too..

So scary for people - Stick thekettle on & make sure you answer the door to any of these poor unfortunates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

By 7pm looks like it will only be clearing the far southwest :

it is has cleared much of kerry and clare already. Hope you get a dumping folks. Watch out for those Kansas type tornados now you hear!

Cheers DE;) will have to wait and see, i will just glance at Supercells weather in awe instead:)

Are you anywhere near Claregalway? or on the Oranmore side of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Temps took a fair plunge as of about 11.30am today!

temps12-1-10.jpg

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    it is has cleared much of kerry and clare already. Hope you get a dumping folks. Watch out for those Kansas type tornados now you hear!

Oh I'm getting a dumping alright...of rain! :P I don't mind though, had a few days of fantastic snow in Kilkenny and then a day of wet snow in Waterford and to be honest I've seen enough of that wet snow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

If it cools down to sub zero in Dublin like it's suppose to tonight, could this sleety rain we're getting become heavy snow??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Just got an earful of ****e ballroom dance music. Knocked it off lively. :pac:

I turned it off when they started the bingo. :eek::D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

claregalway side, work in city, its bloody cold here at home but it is still raining..

Advertisement