Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's been snowing/sleeting here for hours but everything that falls is melting.
    :mad:

Hoping I get a heavier down fall at some point, it would be great to see it with the wind we have.

If not here, I should see plenty up on the hills on Friday. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    it is has cleared much of kerry and clare already. Hope you get a dumping folks. Watch out for those Kansas type tornados now you hear!

Mayo is king of tornado strikes in Ireland I grudgingly admit. Seem to happen quite often up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

it is has cleared much of kerry and clare already. Hope you get a dumping folks. Watch out for those Kansas type tornados now you hear!

Wolfe, all jokes aside there was actually a mini tornado in Achill today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

To think we are 1c away from a blizzard, another close but no cigar scenario, one day one day!

Think you may well get it though before the night is out:D

John mac wrote: »
    I turned it off when they started the bingo. :eek::D:D

I'm seeing if I can last to the death notices. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

snow ghost wrote: »
    I'm seeing if I can last to the death notices. :eek:
    could be a long wait with all those achill casualties

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

CianRyan wrote: »
    It's been snowing/sleeting here for hours but everything that falls is melting.
    :mad:

Hoping I get a heavier down fall at some point, it would be great to see it with the wind we have.

If not here, I should see plenty up on the hills on Friday. :)

It's sooooo marginal. Even a fall of 0.5c would make it epic!

It is sticking here (on everything including east facing windows) but it is so slushy.

0.8c DP 0.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

snow ghost wrote: »
    Wolfe, all jokes aside there was actually a mini tornado in Achill today.

Well there was a windstorm off the West coast today. With that in mind...

"Wind storms are commonly seen with minor whirlwinds. Also, small, semi-powerful "wind blasts" may be seen before some minor whirlwinds, which can come from a wind storm. These wind blasts can start to rotate and form minor whirlwinds."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlwind_%28atmospheric_phenomenon%29

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not even sleet here, just cold cold rain. doubt it will even turn to sleet here at this stage.

could be a long wait with all those achill casualties

They don't mention sheep deaths unfortunately. :) They just played the Dooleys ! lol

Jesus, is that the wicked witch of the East flying over the bay to Achill!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Any idea of accurate temps website etc, met.ie i dont belive it wicklow 3c? whats this 1c .5c change we need ye talk about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

[FONT=&quot]"Sodium Bromate" - coming to a shoreline near you!
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Coast Guard investigating loss of containers from vessel off south coast[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Irish Coast Guard are currently investigating the loss of 7 containers off a small coastal feeder-vessel off the southern coast. The incident occurred earlier this afternoon, some 15 miles south east of Mine Head (Waterford), 20 miles east of Youghal and 16 miles south of Tramore. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]One of the containers is believed to contain hazardous material (Sodium Bromate). The other 6 containers were carrying bird food, fire logs and medical equipment. Each of the containers are about 40 feet in size, 6 of them are blue in colour, one is red. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Waterford-based Coast Guard helicopter is currently on scene and some of the containers have been spotted. The vessel was travelling from Dublin to Cork when the incident occurred earlier this afternoon. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]There is currently a very bad storm in the area, with south-eastly storm force 10 wind and a heavy swell. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]In the event that a member of the public sights any of these containers, please contact the Coast Guard or the Gardai immediately on 999 or 112 . [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Advice to the public from the Coast Guard is, do not come within 100 meters of these containers. [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Sleet/snow all day here
    temps and dp to high for a snow to stick
    still lots on the hills
    ah well:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »

It is sticking here (on everything including east facing windows) but it is so slushy.

0.8c DP 0.8c

I am hoping for GFS to be on the money.:D:o

Now (1800) Forecast

6-574.GIF?12-12

9pm Forecast

9-574.GIF?12-12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Still very heavy rain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

0.8c DP 0.8c
    Whatr u on about DOCARCH I live in D16 (Knocklyon) too and nothing is sticking!
    ..............................................................................................................................
    If it cools down to sub zero in Dublin like it's suppose to tonight, could this sleety rain we're getting become heavy snow??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

0.8c DP 0.8c

Ah, you're getting lucky!!

What I need here is for it to stop for about an hour and let everything freeze over again, then let the precip start to fall again.
    It's all just falling on slush/meltwater.

200motels wrote: »
    Still very heavy rain here.

Any floods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

claregalway side, work in city, its bloody cold here at home but it is still raining..

YR.NO do Claregalway too!

meteogram.png

Detailed forecasts:
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Galway/Claregalway/

[font=&quot]"Sodium Bromate" - coming to a shoreline near you![/font]

[font=&quot]Coast Guard investigating loss of containers from vessel off south coast[/font]

[font=&quot]The Irish Coast Guard are currently investigating the loss of 7 containers off a small coastal feeder-vessel off the southern coast. The incident occurred earlier this afternoon, some 15 miles south east of Mine Head (Waterford), 20 miles east of Youghal and 16 miles south of Tramore. [/font]

[font=&quot]One of the containers is believed to contain hazardous material (Sodium Bromate). The other 6 containers were carrying bird food, fire logs and medical equipment. Each of the containers are about 40 feet in size, 6 of them are blue in colour, one is red. [/font]

[font=&quot]The Waterford-based Coast Guard helicopter is currently on scene and some of the containers have been spotted. The vessel was travelling from Dublin to Cork when the incident occurred earlier this afternoon. [/font]

[font=&quot]There is currently a very bad storm in the area, with south-eastly storm force 10 wind and a heavy swell. [/font]

[font=&quot]In the event that a member of the public sights any of these containers, please contact the Coast Guard or the Gardai immediately on 999 or 112 . [/font]

[font=&quot]Advice to the public from the Coast Guard is, do not come within 100 meters of these containers. [/font]

Whiskey... or rather Fire Logs Galore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Early winners of the " The Darwin Awards 2010":D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0112/breaking79.htm

1224262186712.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Murphdog94 wrote: »
    ..............................................................................................................................
    If it cools down to sub zero in Dublin like it's suppose to tonight, could this sleety rain we're getting become heavy snow??

I am in Ballinteer and it is sticking but not great, a drop in temp would get it sticking a much better

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Murphdog94 wrote: »

Well lucky you!

It's sticking here, albeit slushy, but sticking, including to the road. I live opposite Marley Park (Ballinteer end), maybe 2 to 3 miles from you, depending where you live in Knocklyon, and probably higher?

0.7c DP 0.7c now.

Knock airport must get gettin a pasting, it's been reporting MODERATE SNOW for 3 or 4 hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

Knock airport must get gettin a pasting, it's been reporting MODERATE SNOW for 3 or 4 hours now.
    yes this is right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Well lucky you!

It's sticking here, albeit slushy, but sticking, including to the road. I live opposite Marley Park (Ballinteer end), maybe 2 to 3 miles from you, depending where you live in Knocklyon, and probably higher?

0.7c DP 0.7c now.

Marlay is much (well a good bit) higher than Knocklyon. I've been posting conditions in Sandyford (where I work) and it would be roughly the same height as marlay and it's sticking. Heading home to Ticknock now - should be better there again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

But still open! Even though mid west and ryan air say its closed!

TV3 havent mentioned snow in their headlines, Just rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its been relentless down here non stop heavy rain blasting the east facing gable end. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tramore road has flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My satellite reception is going, gonna have to go out and clear snow off the lnb..thats gonna be an adventure in its own right!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

DominoDub wrote: »
    Early winners of the " The Darwin Awards 2010":D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0112/breaking79.htm

1224262186712.jpg

They didn't die.
    It's awarded posthumously after one kills themself in a remarkably stupid way.

Advertisement