Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Supercell wrote: »
    My satellite reception is going, gonna have to go out and clear snow off the lnb..thats gonna be an adventure in its own right!

I do envy you :D Enjoy it, could be the last snow for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

wet blowy sleet here still..... not too bothered seeing as I was planning on going out later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Plenty of precip to come for Ulster, East Connaught, Leinster and East Munster with most precip likely to fall as snow as the evening goes on.

Snow fall accumulation chart for tomorrow AM
    10011306_1212.gif

Predicted Upper air temps for 6pm today (these get less cold as the night and tomorrow morn progress). For anyone who doesn;t know you should be hitting -5c or more to be in with a chance of seeing proper snow.
    10011218_1212.gif

(Close to) surface temps. These remain favourable for snow lovers in North Leinster and Ulster, higher ground elsewhere for the next 12 hrs.
    10011218_1212.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

0.6c DP 0.6c now.

Snow getting stickier now. Whiteness increasing all the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

A good while :eek: I hope that only means a week or so !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Knock airport must get gettin a pasting, it's been reporting MODERATE SNOW for 3 or 4 hours now.

if the snow i got earlier is the same as they got up there i'd love to know what they define as heavy snow.

meanwhile the snow is smaller but with the drop in temperatures it is sticking readily now. if only this snow could continue for at least a couple of more hours i could be looking at 2- 3 inches of snow - a nice end to the cold weather. that will keep going in the mild weather to come, which is predicted to last for the forseeable future:(

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Any chance of snow in north dublin tonight or in the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Plenty of precip to come for Ulster, East Connaught, Leinster and East Munster with most precip likely to fall as snow as the evening goes on.

Snow fall accumulation chart for tomorrow AM
    10011306_1212.gif

Predicted Upper air temps for 6pm today (these get less cold as the night and tomorrow morn progress). For anyone who doesn;t know you should be hitting -5c or more to be in with a chance of seeing proper snow.
    10011218_1212.gif

(Close to) surface temps. These remain favourable for snow lovers in North Leinster and Ulster, higher ground elsewhere for the next 12 hrs.
    10011218_1212.gif

Should DPs start to fall back too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

chris2007 wrote: »
    Any chance of snow in north dublin tonight or in the morning?

Ask owenc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

tech77 wrote: »
    They didn't die.
    It's awarded posthumously after one kills themself in a remarkably stupid way.
    They qualify for an honourable mention though.

• Advertisement

Mayo is king of tornado strikes in Ireland I grudgingly admit. Seem to happen quite often up there.

haha. it's finally sinking in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

tech77 wrote: »
    They didn't die.
    It's awarded posthumously after one kills themself in a remarkably stupid way.

Yeh but surely it's only a matter of time..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

YR.NO do Claregalway too!

meteogram.png

Detailed forecasts:
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Galway/Claregalway/

How accurate is this site for forcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Easily 10cm of new snow if not more. Lnb cleared for the moment :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

nothing about the snow on tv3 am i imaging the 3 in outside:rolleyes:

that will keep going in the mild weather to come, which is predicted to last for the forseeable future:(
    Until mid week next week according to the latest model outputs. Looks to turn cold thereafter for an undetermined period.
    Cold air will push down from the North West. May be your standard NW airflow with sunshine and heavy wintry showers for North and West. This set up is often a very brief one. Will take a look at the long range models later and post in models thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Wet snow still coming down in sheets here in Bray near the seafront. Not sticking. If this had of been the kind of huge flakes of fluffy snow falling for an hour or so on Saturday night and it continued as predicted till the late AM tomorrow then it would have been '87 level Bray snow. Alas with it being wet grainy stuff falling on saturated ground, I think its just going to mean a flooded seafront later on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Joe Bastardi says "enjoy the break" regarding the thaw.

"Like the winters of yore a January thaw, but I want to remind you that the physical drivers for the cold winter are still there. And winter will come back.

..."This is by no means the end of this winter. It will come back again and stubbornly last into March"

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

jenzz wrote: »
    Should DPs start to fall back too ?
    yes jenzz. they will probably stabilise somewhat in the areas I mentioned for the rest of the evening. The dew points dropped a degree or two in most eastern and northern areas this afternoon.

There will be variations between certain areas of course but by and large i would not expect dew points to drop much more. Most areas in the east recording dew points of 0.5c to -1c.

Until mid week next week according to the latest model outputs. Looks to turn cold thereafter for an undetermined period.
    Cold air will push down from the North West. May be your standard NW airflow with sunshine and heavy wintry showers for North and West. This set up is often a very brief one. Will take a look at the long range models later and post in models thread.

yes, it's usually only a day or two but out of such situations sometimes come polar lows;). it's a pity the ecm has backtracked on the easterly taking hold.
    still, after todays incredible snow fall i'll live with the milder weather. i really doubt i'll see snowfall as heavy as that for a long, long time to come.

• Advertisement

Keep in mind all, this is a very slow moving front and will take close to 24 hours to clear the NE coast.

HIRLAM model shows precip
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm
    click on nedbor

This shows the precip continuing in the east and north for another 24-30 hrs. Keep in mind the times are about 2-3 hrs ahead of GMT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

No satellite signal is being received.

Yippee, just turned on the TV for the evening news.

Time for the ladder, thankfully satellite not on the roof but no fun in a blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Dublin airport reporting freezing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Heavy, sticking snow in Sandyford/Stepaside for the last few hours. If this keeps up it could be worse than last week!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

jenzz wrote: »
    Just spotted on AA - The Ashford/Roundwood Rd (R764) is impassable. Approx. 30 cars are stuck along the R755 near Old Long Hill. Gardaí advise against unnecessary travel in the area.

Those 30 cars are like stuck indeliverance...... Worst place inworld to get stuck !
    Keep in mind all, this is a very slow moving front and will take close to 24 hours to clear the NE coast.

So we can expect hours of heavy snow are you saying it will still be snowing at. 12 pm tomorrow!!! If so how much can we expect????

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Another great night on the boards for me.
    Hubby will be furious, will have to be very surreptitious about my postings.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

TV3 are unreal, no mention of snow then you see that poor bugger reporting in dublin. This weatherman has only mentioned rain!

Joe Bastardi says "enjoy the break" regarding the thaw.

"Like the winters of yore a January thaw, but I want to remind you that the physical drivers for the cold winter are still there. And winter will come back.

..."This is by no means the end of this winter. It will come back again and stubbornly last into March"

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

by the grace of the snowgods may it be so.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Well I just had the snow plough come through my estate, don't get me wrong its not that bad now but lets hope that I Need one in the morning

• Advertisement

Another great night on the boards for me.
    Hubby will be furious, will have to be very surreptitious about my postings.:p

as long as you aren't forced to choose...:pac:

Advertisement