Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dublin airport reporting freezing rain.

The dude must be mistaking sleety rain for freezing rain!

At Howth its 1.7c/1.0c

On a steady fall

Sleety rain appears lighter here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wicklowgirl

Supercell wrote: »
    I wonder are the road signs up at Sallygap completely covered over by now?

Well I know the Wicklow Gap is impassable even to 4x4's at the minute, tracks made this morning were covered over by 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Keep in mind all, this is a very slow moving front and will take close to 24 hours to clear the NE coast.

HIRLAM model shows precip
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm
    click on nedbor

Yep, look at the radar loop and keep and eye on the back edge of the precip over Kerry/Cork from 16:30 to 17:30 - hardly clearing at all in the last hour.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

First time here for snow to remove my satellite signal.

Any other times it was thunderstorms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

GavinH wrote: »
    How accurate is this site for forcasts?

Reasonably accurate relative to the likes of the crap you see on metcheck and other such rubbish sites. Short term data (0hrs to 48hrs) based on a combination of NRK and HIRLAM data while long term forecasts are based on the latest ECM run. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

yes, it's usually only a day or two but out of such situations sometimes come polar lows;). it's a pity the ecm has backtracked on the easterly taking hold.
    still, after todays incredible snow fall i'll live with the milder weather. i really doubt i'll see snowfall as heavy as that for a long, long time to come.
    whats it like there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cdev

SuprSi wrote: »
    Heavy, sticking snow in Sandyford/Stepaside for the last few hours. If this keeps up it could be worse than last week!

Just driven home to Kilternan in blizzard conditions. The roads around Carrickmines/Kilternan/Stepaside are in a bad way. Drive safely out there folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

i'm gobsmacked with their weather report do they not look out the window brian daly was standing in rain was he eejits:eek:

Still snowing in south kilkenny, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

snowing all day, best day so far since the cold spell :D
    70 ASL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    So we can expect hours of heavy snow are you saying it will still be snowing at. 12 pm tomorrow!!! If so how much can we expect????

2.1cm

"Fresh heavy snow is causing increasingly dangerous conditions in the West and in the East/South East. *LEINSTER* *WICKLOW* Roads becoming increasingly treacherous with fresh snow drifts on higher ground. There have been numerous crashes reported..."

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

as long as you aren't forced to choose...:pac:

I could always send him to the pub...although I never do that so he may smell a rat.!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Reasonably accurate relative to the likes of the crap you see on metcheck and other such rubbish sites. Short term data (0hrs to 48hrs) based on a combination of NRK and HIRLAM data while long term forecasts are based on the latest ECM run. :)

Thanks DE for the reponse. Looks like my area will have frost again tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Lol TV3 guy on live report from dublin heavy snow not a mention of it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Still snowing in south kilkenny, anyone?

According to met eireann it probably is, giving snow to last for hours yet for some particularly in parts of Leinster and Connaught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

snaps wrote: »
    TV3 are unreal, no mention of snow then you see that poor bugger reporting in dublin. This weatherman has only mentioned rain!

Yeah, just saw that, snow belting down all around him :)
    I'm on South Cicular Road city end, no snow here :( just rain and sleet.

Maybe it will snow later:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

So close but yet so far

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Is It Still actually snowing(Not Sleet) in Dublin Anywhere? We are here in The RDS and all that we have had all day is Torretial rain and REALLLY High winds. Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

According to sky weather graphics it will snow all night here !!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Still raining here in Cork city. Five tiles after falling off the roof from the wind. Two leaks now, nice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

an admission of being caught out on the radio forecast just there by the forecaster- he said there was a fierce battle today between two opposing airmasses and there has been a relapse, but the bad news is that they predict the atlantic to finally win on Friday. i would love it if they were wrong again but of course the law of averages dictate they won't be. still, to finish with the good news, sleet and snow will continue in ulster, connacht and leinster over night with further accumulations in places!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

gonna stick my head in now just in case theres no room in here later.happy snow hunting everybody:D

"weather supplies are running low" so they say on rte! Think they mean water!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is It Still actually snowing(Not Sleet) in Dublin Anywhere? We are here in The RDS and all that we have had all day is Torretial rain and REALLLY High winds. Anyone??

Blizzard here!

Was going to suggest to look at traffic cameras - http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/ - but the M50 Edmonstown one (near me) has snow/slush on it's lens.

0.6c DP 0.6c (flirting with 0.5c).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

why am i only seeing rain when everywhere else around me including wht is usually warmer coastal areas of Dublin and Wicklow seeing Snow???

"weather supplies are running low" so they say on rte! Think they mean water!

Lol... Cut to shot of clouds being unloaded to trucks in Foynes port.

an admission of being caught out on the radio forecast just there by the forecaster- he said there was a fierce battle today between two opposing airmasses and there has been a relapse, but the bad news is that they predict the atlantic to finally win on Friday. i would love it if they were wrong again but of course the law of averages dictate they won't be. still, to finish with the good news, sleet and snow will continue in ulster, connacht and leinster over night with further accumulations in places!!

looking at radar it seems to be moving NE away from us in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

whats it like there now?

small snowflakes now but they are all sticking. amazing what a 1 degree drop in temperature does! there is about 2 inches of snow on the ground now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    why am i only seeing rain when everywhere else around me including wht is usually warmer coastal areas of Dublin and Wicklow seeing Snow???

Precip needs to set in, even im seeing some flakes here Gonzo!

Advertisement