Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Still snowing in south kilkenny, anyone?
    No, was earlier but is just rain now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Blizzard here!

Was going to suggest to look at traffic cameras - http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/ - but the M50 Edmonstown one (near me) has snow/slush on it's lens.

0.6c DP 0.6c (flirting with 0.5c).

Is it sleet tho, or is it sticking?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snaps wrote: »
    looking at radar it seems to be moving NE away from us in the west.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Satellite gone at my sister's house, a bad night for satellite dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12 January 2010 16:18

Today

Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow will continue to move northeastwards across the country this evening and tonight - giving accumulations of snow in parts of Leinster, Ulster and north and east Connacht, and giving blizzard conditions locally - but will tend to ease off overnight, with winds moderating also. Drier weather will follow into the southwest and west. Lowest overnight temperatures 0 to + 4 C.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Precip needs to set in, even im seeing some flakes here Gonzo!

ye tbh the rain hasnt been too heavy so far, maybe i need proper heavy precip for it to snow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is it sleet tho, or is it sticking?

It is snow and it is sticking but very wet, everything now has a cover including roofs but you can it is slushy white.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

small snowflakes now but they are all sticking. amazing what a 1 degree drop in temperature does! there is about 2 inches of snow on the ground now.

i wonder how my flight tommorow morning will be from knock, its already been cancelled twice

Gonzo wrote: »
    why am i only seeing rain when everywhere else around me including wht is usually warmer coastal areas of Dublin and Wicklow seeing Snow???
    Well I'm only see'ing sleety rain here and tried to go to croghan mtn and had to turn back..
    Met the snow just 3 miles over the road and further up the road is simply blocked.
    Masses and masses of it and coming down like sheep the flakes are so big.
    Back here and it's rainy sleet agin by the coast.
    Snow line isn't actually height,it's about 5 or 6 miles inland.
    Incredible stuff!

snowing all day, best day so far since the cold spell :D
    70 ASL

i concur. i got my wish for the cold spell to leave a nice parting gift. i thank the snowgods for granting my wish:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Power just went out for a few seconds..this doesnt bode well :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

snaps wrote: »
    i wonder how my flight tommorow morning will be from knock, its already been cancelled twice

i'd say there is a good chance as the snow and wind will be well gone by then. it'll just be cloudy with the odd rain shower tomorrow in connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Well I'm only see'ing sleety rain here and tried to go to croghan mtn and had to turn back..
    Met the snow just 3 miles over the road and further up the road is simply blocked.
    Incredible stuff!

Where is it blocked BB?
    How is it blocked? (snow??)
    How far did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Where is it blocked BB?
    How far did you get?

Its blocked because its probably snowmaggedon like here. That is not an exaggeration.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

i concur. i got my wish for the cold spell to leave a nice parting gift. i thank the snowgods for granting my wish:D
    :D lol can you make another wish for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Supercell wrote: »
    Its blocked because its probably snowmaggedon like here. That is not an exaggeration.

so jealous, bring snowmageddon here :D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Incredible stuff!

The 10% rain has just gone out of it here. Now large flakes snow & falling heavily- Dogs house roof now covered, table etc, icey slush on grass & im east facing so the back is being blocked by the house :eek: Dreading the car & front as have a meeting tonight.. Im 1 mile up from the beach just up off the motor way... Gonna be 1 long night snow watching lol

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Whats this talk of accumlations and blizzards tonight on met.ie?

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Where is it blocked BB?
    How far did you get?
    moneyribbon -no tracks on the road -couldn't go foward and had to reverse very slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

jenzz wrote: »
    The 10% rain has just gone out of it here. Now large flakes snow & falling heavily- Dogs house roof now covered, table etc, icey slush on grass & im east facing so the back is being blocked by the house :eek: Dreading the car & front as have a meeting tonight.. Im 1 mile up from the beach just up off the motor way... Gonna be 1 long night snow watching lol

:D

Snap:p just about to report the same thing here, except not sticking to anything..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

That was not a pleasant 20min walk home from work into the east wind , rain was like nails into your face :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pangea wrote: »
    Whats this talk of accumlations and blizzards tonight on met.ie?

There in the same boat.......nowcasting! :pac:

0.5c DP 0.5c now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

trogdor wrote: »
    Snap:p just about to report the same thing here, except not sticking to anything..

Hola Trog

Very heavy now.... & good few hours left to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Sooo frustrated. it was snowing so nicely at work and its not even raining here in maynooth despite the huge cloud cover and radar above us!

What's with this weather ? Is the cold spell coming back to Dublin or is this just the mild weather messing around still hence the sleet etc, unless on higher ground ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

1c/ Light Snow Casement 6pm

1c/ Light Sleet Dublin Airport 6pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I cleared the snow off the satellite dish and normal service resumed, thankfully it is not on the roof...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Just heavy rain in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

small snowflakes now but they are all sticking. amazing what a 1 degree drop in temperature does! there is about 2 inches of snow on the ground now.
    Liar!!!

1y8fn7.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Incredible stuff!

I Must be nearly 20 miles inland so it's really frustrating im not getting sleet or snow. I know my precipitation needs to be propably heavier but its just frustrating, the isle of man stopped most of my snow over the cold spell and now its just raining!

Advertisement