Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Power gone three times now, each time takes longer to come back, seems inevitable am going to loose it completely during the night.
    A proper winter storm, fun for the moment I have to admit.
    At least 6 inches of fresh snow outside now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

When is this snow for comin up here??? Should I really expect it to be snowing from say 10pm to say 12pm tomorrow and be heavy??? How much can we expect at most???

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I seem to be the only person without snow:(. Here just north of Cork city 118m high, it is raining lighlty, after slackening off during the past half hour, it had been lashing since early this morning non stop. Roads blocked with trees or floods. High wind last night has brought the roof off a nearby barn. Looks like the city is near to being flooded, local radio is reporting a hug amount of closed roads due to flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Supercell wrote: »
    Power gone three times now, each time takes longer to come back, seems inevitable am going to loose it completely during the night.
    A proper winter storm, fun for the moment I have to admit.
    At least 6 inches of fresh snow outside now.
    I am actually more jealous of you than whoever marries Jessica Alba - I have a problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ytareh wrote: »
    Hi ,Weather noob here taken in by all this drama...can anyone explain why there appears to be a faint but discernible compass circle drawn as if Shannon were at its centre and going through Mayo and the south coast on these maps...?Anyone else at least see this?

http://met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

Looks like that 'ring' is the outer range of the Shannon radar, I think those false echos are called anaprop? If MT Cranium was here, he would know!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still a blizzard here!

0.4c DP 0.4c - temps going the right way for a real dumping. Everything now going white (as opposed to slushy white).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

IS IT GOING TO SNOW AT ALL ON THE NORTHSIDE TONIGHT????!!!!
    IM GOING MAD WITH HOPE........!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Blizzarding snow in D14 for the past 2+ hours minimum, snow started around 3pm.
    My car is covered, coming down heavy with strong winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    When is this snow for comin up here??? Should I really expect it to be snowing from say 10pm to say 12pm tomorrow and be heavy??? How much can we expect at most???

He who knows all considers your request:

BlackRobeWizard.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Not the only one Cian, not a flake here in Maynooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Still a blizzard here!

0.4c DP 0.4c - temps going the right way for a real dumping. Everything now going white (as opposed to slushy white).

Lashing sleet/rain here

Interesting Howth has taken a turn south.

1.4c/0.7c

Not a very interesting 12Z ECM...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lashing sleet/rain here

Interesting Howth has taken a turn south.

1.4c/0.7c

DP at M2 bouy down to 1.0c now - going in the right direction for all of Dublin to see some snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

For all the Jean Byrne lovers ..she said she will be at the RDS Tomorrow :D

53135646.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1263323752&Signature=9t5P%2Bi8D%2FpBeMTzldcn8pSti8Qs%3D

44mm of rain fell in Valentia Observatory by midday today.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/water-shortage-still-critical-441699.html

DominoDub wrote: »

Where does she get those outfits - fantastic!

DominoDub wrote: »

53135646.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1263323752&Signature=9t5P%2Bi8D%2FpBeMTzldcn8pSti8Qs%3D

That is truly a lovely ..weather chart :)
    Jean - a national treasure :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

How is Dublin getting a Blizzard and Kildare sees nothing . Not even rain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Supercell wrote: »
    That is truly a lovely ..weather chart :)
    Jean - a national treasure :D

thats where my tinfoil went.....

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

a few flakes coming through, hopfully we see more flakes soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I would say its the mountains robbing your precipitation.

Supercell has a half foot already.

And there are not blizzards all over Dublin! we have a horrible lashing rain/sleet here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

dublin isnt getting anything except small areas, lashing rain here and cant see any snow sticking 2nite....

I'm guessing its something to do with the Wicklow mountains. Waiting on someone more knowledgeable than me to have a stab at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

“This is normal winter weather. This is what we expect to see two or three times each winter,” said forecaster Gerald Fleming.

“A bad winter storm, strong winds, heavy rain. It’s not pleasant but it’s nothing unusual in the context of Irish weather.”
    :rolleyes:

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/water-shortage-still-critical-441699.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I would say its the mountains robbing your precipitation.

Supercell has a half foot already.

And there are not blizzards all over Dublin! we have a horrible lashing rain/sleet here.

It will come WC & if dps going south then it will turn too

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Gonzo wrote: »
    why am i only seeing rain when everywhere else around me including wht is usually warmer coastal areas of Dublin and Wicklow seeing Snow???

I have rain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Spitting rain here for the first time today. Awesome...... not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Cant see any snow coming to Donegal?
    Very wet outside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This was my forecast (see below) which I predicted early last night.
    I was one of very few predicting any snow today & in fact was ridiculed for even suggesting it. All others were only speaking of thaw's

Ok, here's my forecast for tomorrow.
    Carlow, Portlaoise, Kildare will all have lying snow for at least an hour tomorrow.
    Dublin will see at least falling snow for an hour, though it pbly wont lie.

And yes SA Cork will see rain and likely floods, though I would add at least another day before the flooding risk as ground frozen a foot down wont thaw that quickly. Wednesday will be the flood day after the rain has passed

• Advertisement

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    thats where my tinfoil went.....

Now now, she looks fantastic, did she go on a diet recently and wants to show off her new figure?
    If so fair play, she looks great.

0.2/-0.3 here and lashing snow.

Advertisement