Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace split copper pipe with ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I'm plumbing my own house refurb on an ongoing basis, qualpex everywhere except hot press and from boiler to hot press, all copper.
    Oh the last piece to each rad is copper too.
    Every inch of qualpex on the heating and hot water is covered in the grey foam insulation, I'm anal about insulation.
    The solar loop is flexible stainless steel in a heavier black insulation.

If I was to start again however I think I'd go with something like an alu-pex or unipipe.

All pex has to have an oxygen barrier for heating, they all have an alu type barrier. Was a time when you could buy a roll of pex with out barrier for plumbing but that was a while ago, people never knew the difference so mistakes were made.

Unipipe is good gear, right up to 70 mm pipe, fittings are double o ring crimped fittings, pipe is cheap prob cheaper than pex but fittings are expensive, its the quickest along with most sound fitting I've ever seen so cost is justifiable. Upinor is the actual manufacturer, Unipipe order from Upinor and have company name branded on pipe, fittings boxes etc, they sell at lot of pipe and fittings to combine with geothermal heat pump systems / underfloor heating. Crimp gun for crimp fittings costs over a grand, has to be serviced once a year, hydrological oil replaced, they have springs, benders and hand crimpers for Upinor as well. Unipipe have a good place in Bray worth a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

I plumbed a new 2 room extention,..water/ensuite & heating with plex pipe & surespeed fittings,..got it all from pulsar direct in Cork.
    pipe
    fittings

Advertisement