Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs V Hull- Saturday

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Bad results all round for the top-4 chasing teams with Villa only drawing at home to West Ham. At least the other results went our way too. Shame to be relying on those though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

we need a striker and centre midfielder in my opinion. dont think harry will buy a striker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah, anout-and-out goal poacher is what we need. Someone who could really finish off the chances our current strikers are missing. RVN, if fit, would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

+1.

And if things start to not go our way, i'd like Harry to change the formation to 3 at the back, or 3 upfront, something/anything to shake things up a bit. We know what Hull will do!! If we keep things the same and get more and more desperate it plays into these teams hands. Hopefully either Harry will have learnt how to deal with the Wolves/Stoke type situation.

Better still we we just score an early goal and put them away 4-0!
    I cannot believe Harry didn't learn from the previous games against Wolves & Stoke.

It is really exposing Harry's lack of tactical ability to change things during a game.

The only changes he made during the game were changes in personnel - Crouch for Keane, in the hope that Crouch might be able to knock something down for someone with his height. And the slightly more attacking Jenas for Palacious.

There were no tactical changes made at all. With Kranjkar and Modric playing inside & with the Crouch on looking for the flick-ons & knock-downs AGAIN we played into Hull's hands. We had less & less width and played more direct making it that much easier for Hull to hold out with a packed defence.

Like I said before the game - why don't we change things if things aren't going our way. Hull were posing little or no threat or ambition. I would have gone to 3 at the back; Corluka, Dawson, Bassong. I would have brought Bentley on and had him and Bale hugging the touchlines, playing well forward in line with the strikers, creating width and spreading their defence and whipping crosses in. I would have had 3 central midfielders including Modric and/or Kranjkar right behind the front 2 creating havoc. With Defoe and Crouch upfront.

Instead Harry just sat there just hoping something would just 'happen'.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Had a great day over there until about 15.00.
    Have to agree with a lot of the comments regarding the lack of tactical changes from Harry. From what I could see we lacked width all game.

Both Modric and Kran were cutting inside (of course we knew they would) which meant whenever Bale/Charlie got the ball there was never an overlap option on. We needed to get in behind them and whip balls across we didnt.

Just shows how much Lennon is missed. How many times have we scored with Lennon overlapping Charlie, sneaky ball behind fullback, good cross, goal - this season?

We played right into their hands. we have no real wingers on the bench and when Aaron is out we have no width. Suits teams that park the bus down to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I reckon the presence of Lennon could have won us a penalty in that type of situation. He's fantastic for drawing fouls and is so little that he has an opposite affect of Hudd/Crouch who get penalised harshly by refs imo.

If we're serious about a Champions League spot, I think 1 or 2 signings may be essential. A striker is needed to partner Defoe.

was rose not on the bench, he is an out and out winger who could have offered width.

im worried about the pool match now

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

mickman wrote: »
    was rose not on the bench, he is an out and out winger who could have offered width.

im worried about the pool match now

Apologies you are correct. Perhaps his lack of experience is the reason Harry didnt bring him on - god only knows why. McShane has to be one of weakest full backs in the league, should have put Rose on and told him to keep running at him.

Mullo76 wrote: »
    Apologies you are correct. Perhaps his lack of experience is the reason Harry didnt bring him on - god only knows why. McShane has to be one of weakest full backs in the league, should have put Rose on and told him to keep running at him.
    Still would have been just a 'player' as opposed to a 'formation' change. We would still be relying on Rose do something extra special to break them down. Lennon does make that possible, but I would be expecting a bit more imagination from HR given Lennon's absence.

i dont think you have to do a formation change. we play 4-4-2 and thats it. we needed more width, someone to hug the line and deliver a few crosses. bentley on the right for last 30 mins, modric back to left could have worked. all we needed was one good cross in and crouch to meet it

• Advertisement

i dont think you have to do a formation change. we play 4-4-2 and thats it. we needed more width, someone to hug the line and deliver a few crosses. bentley on the right for last 30 mins, modric back to left could have worked. all we needed was one good cross in and crouch to meet it
    Yes and Hull knew exactly that our plan was to play 4-4-2 and get a cross on to Crouch's head!! Thats why they were able to stop us!

u cant go changing formations every second week. the players dont have the brains for that im afraid

u cant go changing formations every second week. the players dont have the brains for that im afraid
    No I agree with having a set formation as the 'norm', week in week out. i.e with us its 4-4-2. But you have to have a Plan B and Plan C. Otherwise the opposition will just figure out how to play against you, like has happened.

Just by telling Modric to stay on the wing isn't going to unsettle 2 banks of four defenders i.e by moving them about or creating confusion in their defence UNLESS he's able to take players out by dribbling or through raw pace (Lennon).

This is why we miss Lennon so much. We play a solid 4-4-2 and rely on his pace to make something out of the ordinary happen.

Maybe they should spend their days off on tactics not recovering from hang-overs if they can't grasp a simple formation change.

indeed. dont think hudd offered anythign at all on sat once again. he still is not good enough in my opinion.

indeed. dont think hudd offered anythign at all on sat once again. he still is not good enough in my opinion.
    He is inconsistent for sure. Thats frustrating cos he's got all the ability in the world!

But that wasn't the reason we didn't score - we pretty much dominated proceedings in the middle of the park from what i saw anyway.

Even HR's use of Lennon has become a problem. HR has only ever played him on the right-wing in a orthodox 4-4-2. More and more teams are becoming aware that if you stop Lennon, you stop Tottenham. So all they do, knowing exactly where Lennon's position is going to be, is double up on him. Problem solved - unless Lennon produces something absolutely amazing.

I heard loads of Spurs fans criticising Martin Jol's tactics when he was here, but a great example of this being unfair was his use of Lennon. He often swapped wings during a game (to cope with the doubling up problem), but also he was played a lot coming in behind and around the front 2 - making him impossible to pick up. We kept the shape of our team by employing either Tainio or Malbranque on the left so our midfield could shift over one making a 3 in midfield thus going 4-3-3 and keeping our balance.

I've not seen HR try any of this stuff.

lennon has often drifted over to the other wing during games. whats the point in moving him to the other wing from the start, the full backs can change then as well so no benefit

at the end of the day , last season we were facing rellegation. this time we are in 4th. end of

lennon has often drifted over to the other wing during games. whats the point in moving him to the other wing from the start, the full backs can change then as well so no benefit

at the end of the day , last season we were facing rellegation. this time we are in 4th. end of
    Just suggesting we try something different to confuse the opposition. If the full-back knows he's got Lennon in front of him the whole game he knows that he must hold his position and mark him tightly or bring in the left-midfielder to double up. This has happened on a number of occasions this season and has effectively nullified our attack.

By floating inbetween the 2 strikers, the full-back doesnt know where to go - if he follows Lennon he leaves space down the flank for others to exploit. If he doesn't follow him, Lennon is effectively able to do as he pleases un-marked.

Again - i'm not suggesting we are not doing well - we are doing brilliant and i'm more positive than most people - i'm just debating ways that we could potentially improve (and not drop more points where we shouldn't) thats all.

Advertisement