Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referencing

Options
  • 11-01-2010 1:45am

Which referencing system do you use for essays/dissertation? Could anyone recommend a good website which indicates how to use the different systems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What have you been using before now? What are you comfortable with? The NUIG english stylesheet is enough for me, every university should have one for each discipline tbh which shows what the norm is within that discipline.

• I've just used the style guide provided by the uni, but now it seems we're expected to adopt a system, Harvard and MLA seem to be the most popular, but I'm afraid to try to use one and make a hash of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Hi,

There is a good thread in the UCD forum about referencing. I found it useful as I'm in the middle of my lit review at the moment!

We have been told to use the harvard system.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055791387

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

[quote=[Deleted User];63933351]I've just used the style guide provided by the uni, but now it seems we're expected to adopt a system, Harvard and MLA seem to be the most popular, but I'm afraid to try to use one and make a hash of it.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, Harvard isn't really that complicated. Get a good guide (like this one from UL) and replace there examples with your references, and you're done.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Cannibal Ox and his/her UL guide saved my MA dissertation :P So long as your School doesn't have a preference, pick whichever one you're used to and suits you...and most importantly - stick to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement