Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking in.

Options
2»

Comments

well let me put the question to boardies, is drinking in, instead of drinking in a pub a bad idea??????

my reasons for asking the question is that i believe that drinking in, instead of going out is probablely one worst things a person can do, for there health and i believe in years to come this will come to haunt people and there will be a large increase in the numbers getting liver disease and other drinking related diseases due to drinking in. My view is that when drinking out you a limited by time and money to the amount which you can drink, whereas when drinking in you dont have these constrains so people can find themself drinking them self to an early death from drinking in. This idea of drinking in has become popular due to price of drink out and drink driving and bad taxi's in rural areas. i believe something has to be done or there will be serious problems in future years. im not saying to ban people from drink in cause i enjoy a drink in but there has to some way of motioring people drink habits when there at home or even only sell drinks with low alcohol concentration drinks and limiting amount aloud to be brought at one time. this is serious. hope that this can help show people how bad it can be and to be responsible when drinking in, incase it leads to acloholism and drink related diseases in the future.

Which pub did you say you owned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Drinking at home is an excuse not to go out.

Hell, I can even ring in a Chinese delivery while I'm drinking at home, and it wont get cold from the walk home from the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I drink less at home. When you're standing there with a drink in your hand in a pub/club it's just too easy to take swigs out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

dsmythy wrote: »
    I drink less at home. When you're standing there with a drink in your hand in a pub/club it's just too easy to take swigs out of it.

Trust me, it's a lot easier to take swigs out of cold beer from the fridge that's already been paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Lads, just so long as yer fire alarms are working, it'll all be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Which pub did you say you owned?

I honestly think this is the answer, which is a question, to ask the OP.

He sounds like a guerilla marketer for the Vintner's Association.

Every leaving cert night the VA does a campaign asking parents where they'd prefer a child drinking; at a house party with drugs and sex, or in a pub where it's safe and the publican will look after you?

It's such a ludicrous view of the pub that only someone who owned a bar could think of it.
    The money I save by drinking at home will cover all potential medical bills in the future. :)

And that's my response. If you lowered your prices I'd drink far more in your pub, where you try to claim its acceptable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:o Oh shooks im on my 3rd can of Guinness drinking in, and its only 3 in the afternoon. I had better take it easy as i have only 21 cans left and then what am i gonna do? go to the pub i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Or, and here's a wild, crazy, new and untested idea, people could take responsibility for their own fcuking actions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

well let me put the question to boardies, is drinking in, instead of drinking in a pub a bad idea??????

my reasons for asking the question is that i believe that drinking in, instead of going out is probablely one worst things a person can do, for there health and i believe in years to come this will come to haunt people and there will be a large increase in the numbers getting liver disease and other drinking related diseases due to drinking in. My view is that when drinking out you a limited by time and money to the amount which you can drink, whereas when drinking in you dont have these constrains so people can find themself drinking them self to an early death from drinking in. This idea of drinking in has become popular due to price of drink out and drink driving and bad taxi's in rural areas. i believe something has to be done or there will be serious problems in future years. im not saying to ban people from drink in cause i enjoy a drink in but there has to some way of motioring people drink habits when there at home or even only sell drinks with low alcohol concentration drinks and limiting amount aloud to be brought at one time. this is serious. hope that this can help show people how bad it can be and to be responsible when drinking in, incase it leads to acloholism and drink related diseases in the future.

it says "drink" or "drinking" 20 times... the word has lost all meaning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

keeps people from drinking and driving too. maybe you just think drinking "alone" is bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

All I know is.. when i go out I come home scuttered and I die the next day:(.
    On a Saturday night in, I curl up on the sofa, watch a film, have a takeaway, a few wee vodkas poured out with a shot glass so i get it just right and maybe have a craic with my boardsie pals....Next day I'm grand:).
    I do however see how easily it can run to a habit.. extending the Sat night drink to a Fri and Sun then Mon is the end of the weekend and sure Thurs is the start of it...

I've a friend this happened to. She had to give it up for a while 'cos she was in a frenzy to get her child to bed so she could have her drink in peace (the child probably drove her to it in all honesty, he's an awful irritating young fella) but it was developing into a problem, lucky she nipped it in the bud..

and my oh's mate's wife went mad on the home drinking altogether..It was getting earlier and earlier she was at it. He was coming home from work and her p*ssed, kids neglected, very sad. Had to go away somewhere to dry out:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Drinking In: 9
    Drinking Out: 2

Drinking In ftw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I get really bored drinking in, it can be fun but I go out to meet new people not just to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

when i drink in I play games and go to bed early. when i drink out i dance and look silly :( and the bathroom queues...grrrr

what has the op done to the english language. drinking in?drinking out?jeez its a fruedian slip (damn it theres another one) waiting to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Faithless

Personally, I couldn't bare drinking in. I'm at home enough and staying there all night would just about send me over the edge. Going out is great, although I understand it might not appeal to the older group here, but being young and sexy such as myself, meeting new people (i.e - slutty southside girls) would be top priority and not the four walls of my living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

old? old? im old? dam it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I was about to go and crack open a nice cool one from the fridge.

But after reading that I think ill say no!!! Instead ill head to the pub for a 5 euro pint and have a look at all of the weirdos in there who obviously spent their entire youths drinking in by the looks on their depressed faces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

there has to some way of motioring people drink habits when there at home
    What kind of big brother nanny state do you want to live in exactly?
    Jesus Christ.

If someone wants to drink themselves to death in the privacy of their own home, the government can fúck off and like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I love getting all dolled up and going out but I couldn't do it every week, I couldn't justify the money I'd spend. I wouldn't want to go out every weekend anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Faithless wrote: »
    Personally, I couldn't bare drinking in. I'm at home enough and staying there all night would just about send me over the edge. Going out is great, although I understand it might not appeal to the older group here, but being young and sexy such as myself, meeting new people (i.e - slutty southside girls) would be top priority and not the four walls of my living room.

Well you see people sometimes have these social gatherings in their houses called "parties". They're quite popular even among young people. They usually ask people around to their house to drink and yes, depending on the household in question there may be plenty of slutty southside girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Faithless

Well you see people sometimes have these social gatherings in their houses called "parties". They're quite popular even among young people. They usually ask people around to their house to drink and yes, depending on the household in question there may be plenty of slutty southside girls.

Yeah, but that's the thing...I've been to these social gatherings and I wouldn't sacrifice the "it's boring over here, let me f*ck off for a while and chat up the other 100+ girls tonight" card. You don't like the atmosphere, get your coat and off down the street to place #2.

House parties are cheaper, yes....but it just doesn't give you options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Not a drinker myself so maybe I'm maybe my point of view isn't the most trustworthy. However, I wouldn't think the difference that would be made would be all that significant. If you can't trust a person not to drink themselves to death in their homes, you probably can't trust them not to do it in a pub either.

Butsureyadon'tneeddrinktoenjoyyourselfbrrrsureiscolduphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Alcohol FTW!

Who's with me? :P

Advertisement