Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another CAO question

Options
  • 11-01-2010 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

If we send all personal statements in seperately & a seperate application direct to the university then who sees the little paragraph that we can write about previous courses, hobbies & voluntary work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Do you mean the part on the CAO application?

I think the universities have access to everything you send to CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Yes, that's the part I mean. So, should I copy my personal statement into this section?
    Explain the relevance of your life / educational experience to your
    application and state your educational goals and objectives

Well you can. But the CAO has a limit on the amount of words, I think something like 1,000 characters. For that section I wrote: please see postal documents and I fired off 2 pages of personal statement in the post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Larianne wrote: »
    For that section I wrote: please see postal documents and I fired off 2 pages of personal statement in the post. :)

Most people I know did this OP, and then broke the personal statement down a little bit further by sub categoery e.g. why they wanted to do the course, what experience they brought etc. Sure a 1000 words is hardly enough to tell them how great all us mature students are ;)

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Most people I know did this OP, and then broke the personal statement down a little bit further by sub categoery e.g. why they wanted to do the course, what experience they brought etc. Sure a 1000 words is hardly enough to tell them how great all us mature students are ;)

Exactly!!! :D

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have a hope fitting it all into 1000 characters.
    I put in to see postal document. God, it's getting so real now. I am really nervous about being accepted now.
    First things first though, I just need my personal statement to secure an interview. Apparently not all mature students get the interview.

Laydee wrote: »
    I wouldn't have a hope fitting it all into 1000 characters.
    I put in to see postal document. God, it's getting so real now. I am really nervous about being accepted now.
    First things first though, I just need my personal statement to secure an interview. Apparently not all mature students get the interview.

Nope not everyone called for interview. And UCD doesn't do interviews. :eek:

I was told that they do call mature students who apply to radiography, just not all of them.
    It's a pity really, I would be alot stronger at interviews than I would be with writing about myself.

Laydee wrote: »
    I was told that they do call mature students who apply to radiography, just not all of them.
    It's a pity really, I would be alot stronger at interviews than I would be with writing about myself.

Oh right, they don't for Physiotherapy and a lot of the other courses which is a shame. I guess it depends on the department.

Don't worry you seem to be on your way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Do you haveto fill out all the mature student sections?

Previous Courses
    Employment
    Voluntary Work
    Interests and Hobbies

Or can we just put 'see postal documents' as I will send my CV, personal statement, college transcripts to them etc.

• Advertisement

Do you haveto fill out all the mature student sections?

Previous Courses
    Employment
    Voluntary Work
    Interests and Hobbies

Or can we just put 'see postal documents' as I will send my CV, personal statement, college transcripts to them etc.

I think I briefly stated the information in each section. And wrote: Please see relevant postal documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Just been reading through the Original post and all the replies, well what i did was just try fill out each section-if i had the information to put in it!! and then i was working on the presumption that all my supporting doc's and personal statement (that iv only found out iv to add to supporting doc's aswell as the one on CAO today as i thought we just had to make do with the 1000 charachter limit-which was in fairness a joke!)would then speak for themselves..hope this is ok?

And just one other question;

Im applying to 3 HEI's, TCD - Who only want you to fill in their specific application and not to add anything extra to it, D.I.T-Who dont have their own application and as far as im aware just work of the cao, and Tallaght I.T, who i believe do the same (i think thats all right but if not please feel free to correct me!)

So i was wondering if i have to make 4 copies off all my supporting documents (such as personal statements, exam certs, CV, etc) So that would be 3 copies of everything and send it to CAO for each HEI im applying to and then an extra copy for the CAO themselves? Or do i just send one copy of everything to CAO ?
    Thanks!:D

P.S-Iv just read over that and i realise it may sound a little confusing..so sorry about that...but to be honest i dont know what other way it could come out as i AM confused myself hahaha:P

If the college doesn't require a separate application like TCD or UL, then just have the one set of documentation for the CAO. (I think they scan everything into the system and the colleges work from there.) If the college specifically ask for separate application form, then yes, send copies of supporting documents with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Okay thats grand, so il just copy everthing once to send...as for copying doc's for TCD application, well they clearly state that they dont want anything extra with appliction-just their specific application and thats it for them (thankgod for that cos i dont think i could cope haha)

and thanks AGAIN! Seriously you should be getting paid for this girl, you really are such a great help to everyone, and have personally put out a handfull of fires for me already!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

Sorry for hijacking but do you need to send your junior cert results as well as leaving? Thanks!

Advertisement