Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAM Issue

• 11-01-2010 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Just got a new PC (not sure of mobo model, but can find out). It has 2GB RAM (2x1GB Sticks). There are two free RAM slots left, so I tried to put my own 1GB and 512MB sticks in, to get 3.5GB RAM. All sticks are ddr ram. Whenever I try to boot my PC up with my own sticks of ram in it, it gives me a blue screen and an error after bios (***stop*** 0x00000044 or something similar). It works fine if I leave in the original 2GB sticks. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Can you give the specs on the memory, in terms of DDR, DDR2, DDR3 and speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

I may be totally wrong, but does the all the ram not need to be the same size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

if it's being picked up in the bios and starting to load windows then thie configuration is probably ok, but it sounds like one of the sticks is faulty or not seated properly. pop the new ram out and back in again.booting with each stick seperatly to find the problem causer

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mack81

if you look at the ram in the PC you will see something like 4200 or 6400 on it. This will have to be the same speed on all the ram you put in the PC or you will get the blue screen you mentioned.

e.g you cant have 6400 and a 4200 in the same PC.

I could be wrong but thats prob what the problem is.

you can have different speeds but it'll go to the lowest common denominator. the important thing is that the pc is getting thru POST and starting to load windows. it's not a configuration issue IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd suggest that you leave it with just the 2GB. Even it did work it would likely slow down the memory bus. The two older sticks are likely slower. Having the two mis-matched sticks will almost always cause a slowdown. Most users would probably see a performance decrease rather than improvement if they got what you're trying to boot.

You're better off sticking with the 2GB and buying additional RAM to match the system if you really need more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Ramza wrote: »
    Just got a new PC (not sure of mobo model, but can find out). It has 2GB RAM (2x1GB Sticks). There are two free RAM slots left, so I tried to put my own 1GB and 512MB sticks in, to get 3.5GB RAM. All sticks are ddr ram. Whenever I try to boot my PC up with my own sticks of ram in it, it gives me a blue screen and an error after bios (***stop*** 0x00000044 or something similar). It works fine if I leave in the original 2GB sticks. Any suggestions?

you should defo be able to put your own 1GB stick in (not sure about 512). it looks like the ram is mis matched, being DDR wont matter much - check if it is ecc or non ecc ram and also the speed.

having the three sticks in will put your memory system into single channel mode which will hurt preformance. stick with the 2GB and buy yourself another similar spec 2 gb kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Maximus_Laggus

RAM should be in matched pairs (DDR2) (or 3's for DDR3). It'll still work though. The most likely problem IMO is the one or more of the sticks speed is not supported by your motherboard. Put 1 stick in at a time and boot up the PC and if it stops working then thats the problem stick of RAM. It could also be a faulty stick, that would throw up the error msg your experiencing.

Google the error code and see what that says as well.

Advertisement