Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat Burners / Diet Pills

• 11-01-2010 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hii everyone looking for your opinions on the best fat burning pills or shakes and where to get them?
    Recently been going to the gym a lot and think these would really help.
    Also diet pills...does anyone think apple cider pills really work or are they a load of cr*p??

Thanks,
    Wolly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Eh.....Erm...This is the waterford forum...so eh...Drink more water?

Your first post Wolly...God knows what brought you to this dark corner of boards to talk about losing weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 collywolly21

im looking for a place in waterford to buy them you see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

im looking for a place in waterford to buy them you see...

Ask the personal trainer at the gym or ask in any of the shops like Nature's Way for advice.

Personally, I think they're a load of crap. Exercise enough, burn more calories than you take in. The natural way is always the best way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

There's a sticky on supplements,fat burners etc in the Fitness forum. If you look at that for pointers products etc.Try the supplement shops down in Blackfriars Colin Ryan or the Polish lad down the back of the showboat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

They are crap. If they actually worked everyone would be on them. I used to coach a ladies university rowing team and they were mad for this stuff, so since I was being paid to look after this team I did a bit of research into them. Did any of them lose more weight than they would have with just training and decent diet alone ? I don't think so.

No doubt you are looking for a miracle pill like Tony Quinns amino or, which is basically a sugar pill, the only active ingredients despite all the sciencey sounding BS on the brochure is the instructions on the back which are basically that you take these with exercise, drink more water and take them 4 hrs before you go to bed and don't eat anything in that period. I could give you a smartie or tic tac every day with the same instructions and get the same effect.

You are looking probably for something like Thermabol, which since they took the ephedra out is basically a super potent caffeine pill that will raise your metabolism and potentially in theory cause a little weightloss over a period of time. Body builders with tiny fat percentages, would use this to "cut" before a competition, basically fast themselves down and lose as much fat as possible, using the ephedra based thermabol to help. For the average person I don't imagine that it will make any difference whatsoever, but what it will more likely cause, is constantly being on a caffeine buzz, headaches, a bad dose of the runs and an inability to sleep. You will probably talk louder, faster and be generally more annoying also. IIf you want to waste your money, most of the supplement shops will have them, along with various other non-medically proven placebos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Only way to effectively burn fat is to exercise more, consume plenty of water, build some muscle (to increase the amount of calories burned by the body) and eat the right foods but at a calorie deficit.

As the previous poster had said the diet and fat burning pills on the market are just glorified caffeine or sugar pills. And of the few pills that are scientifically linked to making the body burn more fat they are also linked with kidney and liver disease.

So my advise is to forget about a miracle pill and burn fat through good ol' fashioned hard work and will power.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

There was a show on TV here called The Man Show - don't know if you got it in Eire- and they devoted a full half hour to weight loss and diets, and in the end Adam Corolla had the greatest line of the night.....

JUST STOP EATING!!!!! SHUT YER GOB AND TAKE IN LESS THAN YOU BURN!!!

Was that good advice or wasn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

whichever you end up taking always remember

*only effective when used with regular excersize and a healthy controlled diet

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I would definitely discourage buying those pills at the very least postpone getting them. If you are really unsettled about your weight id recommend that you first try to spend 15-20 minutes on the bike in gym and/or a similar amount on the treadmill if you go that at least 3 times a week for a month you would be suprised with the results. I dont think a quick fix is the answer and will you probably just end up wasting.

Advertisement