Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internships

Options
  • 11-01-2010 3:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all.

I know it's not great forum etiquette to look for help with my first post, but circumstance dictates that my first visit here is caused by a need for assistance.

I'm currently a 3rd year engineering student in UCD, and intend to travel to Adelaide next summer (June-August). I was just wondering if anyone has experience in finding internships or work experience, and if they could provide any advice?

I know my request is asking a lot in the current employment market, and in it's specific nature, hence why I'm looking for advice anywhere I can get it. Whether this be regarding the engineering work market, the student work market, or just to tell me I have no chance. Actually, I can do without the last one. :P

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

SuperSocks wrote: »
    Hi all.

I know it's not great forum etiquette to look for help with my first post, but circumstance dictates that my first visit here is caused by a need for assistance.

I'm currently a 3rd year engineering student in UCD, and intend to travel to Adelaide next summer (June-August). I was just wondering if anyone has experience in finding internships or work experience, and if they could provide any advice?

I know my request is asking a lot in the current employment market, and in it's specific nature, hence why I'm looking for advice anywhere I can get it. Whether this be regarding the engineering work market, the student work market, or just to tell me I have no chance. Actually, I can do without the last one. :P

Thanks in advance.

Check out http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54, invaluable advise there.
    I can't really help with your enquiry, but I guess if your looking for internship, work experience in Adelaide, your best bet is applying direct to companies there in the months before you go.
    The thing is with asking for work experience in Oz, they generally avoid it(from a little bit of research) - cost being the main issue/insurance etc. It may be more fruitful being there and calling to the employers directly.

This is where contacts comes in so very handy.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

What visa will you be travelling on? Any particular reason for Adelaide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SuperSocks

Going on the 12 month working visa, as I need to finance the trip by working. It's annoying I have to use it, but I can't go otherwise.

I'm going to Adelaide because I've accomodation there, and ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

SuperSocks wrote: »
    I'm going to Adelaide because I've accomodation there, and ;).

Ahh haha! not unlike myself! :P

Well, just be aware of what you can and can't do on the WHV.
    • You can work doing anything;
    • But you can only work for any one employer for a max of 6 months;
    • You can apply for a second WHV after your first;
    • For the 2nd, you must have done 3 months of 'specified work' in a regional area.
    Luckily for you, the entire state of SA, including the city of Adelaide, is classified as a regional area. Employers here prefer to keep any employees they've had to go to the trouble of training. This means you may have difficulties getting your internship or work experience since you can only work for a max of 6 months for any one employer. There is nothing stopping you (i think, you may need to check this out) from applying for and being granted a different visa while you're here on the WHV.

I would recommend trying to complete the 3 month specified work as soon as you land. Even if you don't think you'll need or want the 2nd WHV now, your could change your mind later! I've left it to the last minute and face the real possibility of going home in a few months :(. Plus if you do this first, it will give you a chance to just have a job, which will help you getting a job you want when they see you've already worked for an Australian employer! It will also help you get some cash and time scope out the field for your work experience.

Things that may be of advantage to you, a construction industry white card (occupational health and safety). You can get these at a few places, such as TAFE (like an IT College in Ireland), would cost anything from $90-$150 depending on where you go. Not sure what kind of engineering you're at, so i don't know if i can give you any other advice :confused:

One thing to think about: While (if?) applying for a second WHV, a bridging visa automatically kicks in while it's being processed so that you are not an illegal alien. The bridging visa assumes all the conditions of your previous visa, including work. Then if and when the second WHV is approved, you could continue working on 'refreshed' conditions i guess. So theoretically, you could get working for the same employer for up to 12 months! I'm not 100% on that last bit, so you may want to confirm it with someone.

hope this helps..

anto.

[edit: forgot a few things!]
    JobSearch.gov.au will be a friend to you. Use that and google maps to get a feel for where things are.
    Harvest Trail for seasonal work: http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx
    Also just the job Search for other work: http://jobsearch.gov.au/findajob/maplvl1.aspx
    You can also use Careerone.com.au and Seek.com.au to look up jobs.
    Best bet is to do a bit of sleuthing on the JobSearch site to find recruitment agents and sign up with the ones who can help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Missred84

Hi guys,

Sorry for crashing on yer thread but when I seen woollymammoth's reply I wondered it he/she knew anything about this? I worked with a girl in Brisbane who said that she got a bridging visa in order to finish her 3month specified work so that she could obtain a 2nd year visa (and was on her 2nd year visa when I met her)

I haven't been able to find anything online relating to this. Also, she's English and I know that there are less restrictions for British ppl regarding visas, medicare etc than Irish.
    Have any of ye heard about this or know anything about it?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Missred84 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Sorry for crashing on yer thread but when I seen woollymammoth's reply I wondered it he/she knew anything about this? I worked with a girl in Brisbane who said that she got a bridging visa in order to finish her 3month specified work so that she could obtain a 2nd year visa (and was on her 2nd year visa when I met her)

I haven't been able to find anything online relating to this. Also, she's English and I know that there are less restrictions for British ppl regarding visas, medicare etc than Irish.
    Have any of ye heard about this or know anything about it?

Cheers

the bit in bold is 100% not true, there is no favours towards the british at all in visas. They do get medicare though.

I'm really not sure about the bridging visa to get a 2nd visa, doesn't really sound true
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/obligations.htm
    is pretty much all I can find ... your friend maybe telling you porkie pies, prob best to ask what bridging visa she applied for (they will have codes) then you can have a look up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

well she would only have a bridging visa if she already applied for the 2nd WHV, and she can only apply for the 2nd WHV (without risk of refusal) if she did the 88 days.

So I am with Hussey and think she telling you porkies.

Advertisement