Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man bets £4400 on Angola to win with 15 minutes to go

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

already been there,check the gambling section,some of the goons on there are feeling sorry for the clown,not me,i hope for his sake there's no bridges near his house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Daysha wrote: »
    I shít you not....

http://forum.fm-view.com/topic/10912-i-admit-it/

All just to win a measly 44 quid. What a fcuking tool!

Sick. :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

Omg serious gambling problem there.The responses in the thread weren't the most friendliest either.He hardly thought he was gonna get sympathy did he.I wonder what he was gonna do with the £44 pound if he had won!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I don't even think there's a word in existence that describes the moronic nature of what he did

blockhead, bonehead, cretin, dimwit, dork, dumbbell, dunce, fool, ignoramus, imbecile, moron, muttonhead, nincompoop, ninny, nitwit, pinhead, simpleton, stupid, tomfool, twit

Just a few I can think of....

I mean 44 quid? Baffles the mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This going back good few years but I remember a guy lost 125,000 on a tennis match before all to win just 250 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

I'll put my neck out here and say it was probably a good bet. There was probably less that 1% chance of Mali scoring 4 goals so he was probably betting at an advantage. In any case it was much much smarter than anybody who has ever put 2 euro quick pick on a lotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

hang on, if the bet was for angola to win and they were already 3-0 down with just 10 minutes remaining, surely the odds would be fantastic and not worth a rubbish 44 quid? I'd be expecting at least 50,000/1 for that.

koHd wrote: »
    hang on, if the bet was for angola to win and they were already 3-0 down with just 10 minutes remaining, surely the odds would be fantastic and not worth a rubbish 44 quid? I'd be expecting at least 50,000/1 for that.

they were 4-0 up

EI111 wrote: »
    they were 4-0 up

I'm confused. If he bet on them to win, then he won the bet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

noel%20edmonds%20spazface.jpg

Just what we didn't want to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How so exactly?

It ended 4-4

Yes. He bet on Angola to win. Drawing is NOT the same as winning. He lost his bet and all his money it seems. Foolish bet for the sake of a £44 profit. You wouldn't even notice £44. It's not really a substantial figure.

It ended 4-4

This explains all. I wasn't following the match and took up the result and bet wrong after reading some of the posts in the linked thread.

I'd say I have more than £44 in my change box.

It was a very foolish bet even if the odds are less than 1% of the event occuring

aaronh007 wrote: »

It was a very foolish bet even if the odds are less than 1% of the event occuring

I flicked through the thread on the other forum and realise now he is a student so it was stupid. In terms of betting though if he was a professional trader it would be a good bet and its those margins that are the foundation for the whole financial industry.

It really was a stupid bet for the odds given.

I think one of the replies in that link said the following:
    The first rule about gambling is that you shouldn't bet money that you can't afford to lose

Wise words.

I'll put my neck out here and say it was probably a good bet. There was probably less that 1% chance of Mali scoring 4 goals so he was probably betting at an advantage. In any case it was much much smarter than anybody who has ever put 2 euro quick pick on a lotto.

omg,a good bet,TAXI !

heavyballs wrote: »
    omg,a good bet,TAXI !

The bet lost, it's easy to say it's a terrible bet and make smart comments. I think a good bet is one where you get odds better than the expected value of the event happenning so I still think it was a good bet in that sense. Fair enough the guy is a student and couldnt afford it so it is stupid. I think an actuary would probably say it was a good bet too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The bet lost, it's easy to say it's a terrible bet and make smart comments. I think a good bet is one where you get odds better than the expected value of the event happenning so I still think it was a good bet in that sense. Fair enough the guy is a student and couldnt afford it so it is stupid. I think an actuary would probably say it was a good bet too though.

Its not really a smart bet at all, 1 in 100 of these mess up I would say. So even if he has won 440 quid all the time, its eventually going to go wrong, and cost him 44 grand. Its not a smart bet at all for such measly amounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

E111 is spot on- the chances of a 4 goal comeback, in ten minutes of normal time, away from home, is (significantly) less than 1%. The return is 1%. It's a good bet. Box shut.

The real question- given the questionable nature of the goals conceded is, er, did someone WIN a significant amount on this game?

NoelRock wrote: »
    The real question- given the questionable nature of the goals conceded is, er, did someone WIN a significant amount on this game?

More than likely yes

It looked very shady towards the end

Wasn't me btw, I have money on Algeria nicking the title

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Its not really a smart bet at all, 1 in 100 of these mess up I would say. So even if he has won 440 quid all the time, its eventually going to go wrong, and cost him 44 grand. Its not a smart bet at all for such measly amounts.

Disagree hugely, but would rather not go into why for competitive advantage :-)!

Silly for a student to be betting that kind of
    Money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

LOL.

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Well the question is whether its more or less than 100 to 1 for Mali to score 4 goals. if its more, then its a good bet and there is no argument, if its less then its a bad bet. My personal opinion is that the odds are much more than 100 to 1 of Mali scoring 4 goals in 15 minutes or whatever it was so I'm going to stick to my assertion that it's a good bet.

More than likely yes

It looked very shady towards the end

Wasn't me btw, I have money on Algeria nicking the title

1,2,3 viva l'Algerie!

I'd have my money on Ivory Coast or Ghana. Maybe both depending on potential returns. I like safe bets :-)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It was a stupid bet in the sense that he's a student who most certainly can't afford to lose that kind of money. He broke the golden rule by betting way above his level. You just don't bet more than you can reasonably afford to lose.

However, he was insanely unlucky, and it's small dead-cert margins* that are the bedrock for all serious pro gamblers (which the OP is not). The chances of Mali coming back from 4-0 down with 15 mins to go were miniscule. On 87 mins it was still 4-1, christ you'd put your life on it at that stage. I'm sure it happens on rare occasions but I don't recall another instance of a team coming from 1-4 down in the 87th minute to draw a game.

*odds of 1/100 are pretty much untouchable though, no matter how much of a cert there's absolutely no value and your layout has to be dangerously high to afford a reasonable return.

no,being honest i would have said it was a brutal bet even if they had won,
    i take your point all the same,imo(and i'm not talkin about this match)there's too many matches being thrown around the globe to be involved in small margin betting in general,you're gonna get stung sooner or later,i think it's rampant and i know a lot of my mates back on the pp long list every week,madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I guess its one of those things that depending on how much money you have, your gambling history etc... You are going to see it as an easy money maker or a quick way to lose all your money.

Either way I think we can all agree... This was stupid :D

• Advertisement

1,2,3 viva l'Algerie!

I'd have my money on Ivory Coast or Ghana. Maybe both depending on potential returns. I like safe bets :-)!

14-1 on 888 had me licking my lips

I do like the look of the Elephants this year but I'm no fan of safe bets, I always tend to root for the outsiders...in the hope of mo money

E111 is spot on- the chances of a 4 goal comeback, in ten minutes of normal time, away from home, is (significantly) less than 1%. The return is 1%. It's a good bet. Box shut.

Their keeper was born in Zaire and represents them through his grandmother's nationality. He also put on the most pathetic performance by a goalkeeper I've seen in a major competition...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

and the biggest idiot of the decade goes to ....

14-1 on 888 had me licking my lips

I do like the look of the Elephants this year but I'm no fan of safe bets, I always tend to root for the outsiders...in the hope of mo money

I've got Cameroon for outright winners. Lumped €20 on them. Got them at 5/1 with Paddy Power.

Here's hoping Geremi doesn't play. ;)

Shane St. wrote: »
    and the biggest idiot of the decade goes to ....

Ah hold on there a mo...theres only been 11 and a bit days into the decade

Plenty of time for me to take the crown:p

But this dude will take some beating

from his parents

That_Guy wrote: »
    I've got Cameroon for outright winners. Lumped €20 on them. Got them at 5/1 with Paddy Power.

Here's hoping Geremi doesn't play. ;)

I fancy Egypt at 10's on betfair but my value bets might not be the best idea.

• Advertisement

I fancy Egypt at 10's on betfair but my value bets might not be the best idea.

I was planning to go for Egypt but I think they're missing some key players. Meh. Won't be making stupid bets though. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Unlucky. I salute him. GAMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

CHD wrote: »
    Unlucky. I salute him. GAMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

The only monster here is the gambling monster that has enslaved your mother! I call him Gamblor, and it's time to snatch your mother from his neon claws!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Personally if I was that hell bent on gambling I would have put 4,300 on the win, 50 on a score draw and 50 on a Mali win just to cover myself against losing all 4,400. For the returns offered of 1% he would have covered himself against losing all 4,400, at the expense of losing €1 on total winnings if the bet came in. Thats just me though, never a risk taker :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Personally if I was that hell bent on gambling I would have put 4,300 on the win, 50 on a score draw and 50 on a Mali win just to cover myself against losing all 4,400. For the returns offered of 1% he would have covered himself against losing all 4,400, at the expense of losing €1 on total winnings if the bet came in. Thats just me though, never a risk taker :D

But then if Angola had stayed on to win you'd have lost money! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Daysha wrote: »
    I shít you not....

http://forum.fm-view.com/topic/10912-i-admit-it/

All just to win a measly 44 quid. What a fcuking tool!

For £44. This story garnered a specific image in my head straight away.

facepalm_implied.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't think you understand the lotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

but what a bout the guy who offered the 1/100, hasn't he won 4400 as it looks like it is a betfair bet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

A friend of mine was working for Ladbrokes a few years back somebody put £10k on Spurs to win when they were 3-0 up at half-time against Man Utd @ 1/100 the rest as they say is history:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/1567733.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Err a lotto ticket exposure is 2.00 euro not €4,400. Its was a incredibly stupid bet, the sort placed by people with a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mike65 wrote: »
    Err a lotto ticket exposure is 2.00 euro not €4,400. Its was a incredibly stupid bet, the sort placed by people with a problem.

or professional gamblers (who may fall into that bracket depending on your opinion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The bet is sound, the person placing it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Iago wrote: »
    The bet is sound, the person placing it wasn't.
    yes at 4-2 i would have started to lay a bit of money off on the draw just to be safe. But seems he placed everything on the one bet. Those bets can be very volatile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

You would have to feel some sympathy for him. I wonder was he watching it live? Could you imagine the horror of watching the last 2 goals going in in injury time, I feel sorry for the cat, dog, girlfriend(unlikely to have one, even less so now, could you imagine the conversation? GF 'What's wrong darling?' reply: 'you know that engagement ring I was getting you, well.....')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

patmac wrote: »
    You would have to feel some sympathy for him. I wonder was he watching it live? Could you imagine the horror of watching the last 2 goals going in in injury time, I feel sorry for the cat, dog, girlfriend(unlikely to have one, even less so now, could you imagine the conversation? GF 'What's wrong darling?' reply: 'you know that engagement ring I was getting you, well.....')
    I just dont get. To get £44 quid back for that sort of bet makes no sense at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement