Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man bets £4400 on Angola to win with 15 minutes to go

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jesus Christ but a lot of people can't do maths :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Apparently he thought he was going to make a 10% profit as opposed to 1% though. I'm sure if he had properly understood the odds he would never have placed the bet. In fairness, I think if anyone here was offered 1.10 odds on Angola to win in the same situation, they would have wagered a substantial amount on it! That's what he thought he was doing. Probably just one of those stupid spur of the moment decisions by someone who wasn't familiar with the fractional odds used on Betfair. i feel sorry for the lad in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

friendface wrote: »
    i feel sorry for the lad in fairness.

Same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

87th minute in the city game and no 1.01 even available with city only 2 goals up

the draw is 339/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

EI111 wrote: »
    87th minute in the city game and no 1.01 even available with city only 2 goals up

the draw is 339/1

That sounds right to me - I'm a little suspicious of this whole story. 1/100 odds seem too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FedEx

yeah but its pretty much a guaranteed 44 quid !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

That I mean: 1/100 odds seems too generous. I'd expect them to stop taking bets at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

That I mean: 1/100 odds seems too generous. I'd expect them to stop taking bets at that stage.

It was Betfair though, not a bookies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

The bet was fine, great odds in fact, some people dont understand the concept of value too well. His bank management was the questionable issue.

Also, when betting on footy one has to be extra wary of ; Africa international football competitions, Eastern European club football, Italian club football cup competitions and finally German 2nd and 3rd division league and cup games. If you have to ask why then you shouldnt be touching the games.
    Everybody who bets seriously on football knows this and this has to be incorporated into the 'value' that seems to be on offer when placing the bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I think we should forget about Nama and just place all the money on any team who is 4-0 up with twelve minutes to go. Problem solved.
    Brian Lenihan to son.
    "You're not going to university and thats it" :D

That's genuinely probably a sounder strategy I'd be far happier with the government doing.

The bet was obviously fine, his mistake was betting money he couldn't afford to lose. Beyond that the odds were retardedly good, can't believe he managed to get them, and he just got sickeningly unlucky, placing a bet at those odds will be quite a substantial winner in the longrun just don't put money you can't afford to lose on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Not sure if someone already said but it's not real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fromvert wrote: »
    Not sure if someone already said but it's not real.

evidence ?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601116&sid=ahhESXRP.39g
    Angola traded at the minimum price of 1-100 -- requiring a stake of 100 pounds to win one -- when 4-0 up, with more than 84,000 pounds placed in bets.
    18.5 pounds was bet on the draw at odds of 999-1 as the home team seemed sure to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Those on the losing side of that wager included a bettor in Sweden who lost about 64,000 kronor ($9,100) -- when trying to win 64 kronor.

Now that's really bad.
    Worse than your other man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

4-4 £44
    Was the clue not in the bet amount?
    If it's true the dude will never be able to look at/hear/count to/write/say the number 4 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Confirmed as a fake
    Hi. Erm, I don't know what to say really.

I guess I'll start with the truth, this was meant as a joke between myself and a certain member (!) on FM-View, I wasn't about much yesterday - believe it or not students do have to work - but come on today to see 135,000 views on this thread, facebook pages, mentions on radio shows and emails from The Sun wanting my story. I am beginning to think I should have placed this bet, I'd be in profit with the donations as well... :tumbleweed:

Nah in all seriousness, I haven't lost or gained a penny, I haven't ever bet on the Africa Cup of Nations and don't wish to start now. The joke started on MSN with myself and another member when we saw it was 4-0 and I jokingly said about going all in on it, when it finished 4-4 I couldn't resist posting up that fake screenshot that was on the Betfair forums (also fake) about 20 minutes before I posted here.

Sorry people, but there's no big story here, just a joke that's spread like wildfire while I've been away. Seemingly killed the server too? Apologies admin. A donation fund, however much I'd appreciate it, won't be necessary, despite the kind words of some people. I'm sure you would've raised that £440 £44 I was desperately chasing with ease!

Must admit, this thread has some comedy replies though.

Edit - Oh and thanks for the signature change :lol:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Still a good bet tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Time to change the thread title to:
    Bettor in Sweden who lost about 64,000 kronor (€6,250) -- when trying to win 64 kronor(€6.25).
    He probably could afford it. That makes the fake look good.

patmac wrote: »
    Time to change the thread title to:
    Bettor in Sweden who lost about 64,000 kronor (€6,250) -- when trying to win 64 kronor(€6.25).
    I reckon that's a typo to be honest, you can't bet at odds of 1/1000 on betfair. The only way that could happen is if he had Mali backed for some small amount and then at the last 15 minutes put the house on Angola to make back the money he had lost on Mali. My guess is typo though given the 64 kroner amount.

I wonder if he was a professional trader or someone trying to make a quick few quid though. He had the right idea anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Egypt 3-1 Nigeria... 2 mins to go... where's my credit card....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Not sure if this has come up as I've not read all 9 pages.

The big question for me in all of this is what other better irregularities are floating about after this game. It wouldn't surprise me to see a scandal involving this score line in the coming weeks. Someone out there won BIG on this one!!!!

iregk wrote: »
    Not sure if this has come up as I've not read all 9 pages.

The big question for me in all of this is what other better irregularities are floating about after this game. It wouldn't surprise me to see a scandal involving this score line in the coming weeks. Someone out there won BIG on this one!!!!

Somebody won this? http://www.amazon.com/Big-Tom-Hanks/dp/B00000K3CR

Hardly a great thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Was going to do a similar bet a few years ago in the SPL - Celtic were 1-0 down to Rangers in the last few mins, can't remember the exact points but a defeat would mean winning the title was nigh on impossible

Was going mad that my account wouldnt let me put 1000 or so on Rangers to win the title at 1/10 or so, Celtic scored twice, won every game for the rest of the season, won the title, lesson learned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Somebody won this? http://www.amazon.com/Big-Tom-Hanks/dp/B00000K3CR

Hardly a great thing?

Possibly the worst joke ever on this site.

iregk wrote: »
    Possibly the worst joke ever on this site.

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement