Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lazy businesses

Options
  • 11-01-2010 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Letterkenny has been like a ghost town since Christmas with probably only about a third of normal traffic on the streets. For most getting there by car is precarious but possible.
    Walking the streets is much more dangerous. You are more likely to break a bone than smash your car. Very few businesses have bothered to clear the ice or apply salt to treacherous footpaths.
    That's how much they value local customers. I hope anyone injured puts in a compo claim. The shops deserve nothing better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you cant put a compo claim in if the path hasnt been cleared - if it has and you slip on whats left then you can - crazy eh

as i found out clearing part of my patio it was more slippy after than before (without salt to clear the ice underneath)

so dont be so quick to blame the shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

So, the law encourages laziness, way to go ;-)
    I've been in New york during the snow ,the shopkeepers clear it out to the edge of the road constantly.
    Mind you, the snow ploughs push the snow off the road to the edge also,
    so you get to do some mountain climbing just to cross the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

no excuse, if it isn't cleared properly malicious intent must be proven.

salt has been available in Kellys and Donegal Creameries.

they just can't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Heard on the radio yesterday, a business cant be sued if someone falls outside their premises if they have made an attempt to clear the path correctly. If they made it worse buy using water or something else then they could be, but only if they make it worse. A genuine attempt shown wont be held liable.

At my work we've been salting paths in the evening since well before xmas, have two fella's out every day trying to clear the car park and had a private company come in to do salting, (but they have since ran out of salt).

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Totally agree. Sick of turning on the tv and radio and listening to whingeing whineing people ringing in and complaining about grit this grit that salt this salt that and the footpaths lethal bla bla bla. Everyone should shut up and make an effort themselves. I know a housing estate that has 80 houses and a steep hill leading up to it and the footpath was frozen the whole time and them bitching on facebook every day of the freeze. One cup of salt from each house would solve alot of problems. Expecting to be pampered and tended like new born babies instead of getting stuck in and helping eachother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well i did grit my own drive and part of the hill on the lane that comes up to it if that helps (with the help of my neighbours and a link box full of grit and sand !)

as did a lot of people round here (dont live in a town but if was stuck i would be out doing something )

sligo council saying here its a grey area ! looks like no one knows

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2010/01/12/clarity-sought-on-self-gritting/

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

On a related note, I was in Laghey on Saturday morning to dispose of wilting Christmas tree :) and noticed that the Council seem to be offering free grit to the public, if they come collect it.

It is in the council yard right next to the amenity site, for anyone interested. There's a big mound of grit just inside the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think it was announced on Highland Radio that the council had grid that people could pick up at various depots. One of the local farmers here picked some up and gritted our road, must find out who and thank him.

Advertisement