Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flawed Sytems

Options
  • 11-01-2010 10:01am

Not sure if this should be here or in Humanities.

Basically I was thinking about this in relation to a different thread about the Gardai.

Have you noticed that everywhere we look there is something dodgy with the systems that we use to operate our country? (other countries too)

We have issues with our Justice system (justice and prisons), our health system, the Government itself, etc. But we as a people assign blame to the people running the systems rather than the systems themselves. Sure the workers have responsibility however they're working within boundaries, which we have allowed to be created. We throw money at these area's blindly hoping that things will change, or fire some staff but nothing ever does.

Take the banks for example. No change is going to occur in the Irish Banking system as long as they continuously being in "the old guard" to replace CEO's. The rules and regulations of the banks encourage the "old guard" structure, but we call for the dismissal of one person, but get a clone of the original, just with a different name. There is, of course, more to it that that, but you'll understand what I mean if you consider the other industries and systems in place.

Or the Government. As long as I have been alive, there has been some scandal or corruption charge against whatever reigning government in power. We know the common inefficiencies and little (and large) corruptions that take place. We've seen the trend in politicians and how they manage the country. But instead of tackling the problems at the roots, we assign blame to the politicians or the parties themselves. We don't look to change the manner in which the politicians can operate within their offices. And we get more clones, doing the same jobs, making the same mistakes, and performing the same little scandals.

And the list goes on. I know this is common in most countries, however I can't escape the notion that this kind of attitude is just another cop out. Giving another reason to ignore the need to change the structure.

I have to wonder if we, as a people, want a better life? Do we really want a series of systems in place that operate smoothly, or do we just want someone to assign blame to with nothing changing, except on the rarest circumstances?

Changing the system of any particular area would be challenging and require patience to see it through. Perhaps that's why we hedge away from doing it or ignore the idea completely. But I can't see anything changing as long as the current systems of rules, obligations, and procedures are in place. You could get Jesus Christ in to do the job, and he would be limited by the obligations that we, the people, have enforced on him.. and refuse to change.

A few thoughts. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think you'll find many people just want to fix the system yet people keep putting up barriers to stop reform for a number of different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,348 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Every System is Flawed. You will Never find a Perfect system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Overheal wrote: »
    Every System is Flawed. You will Never find a Perfect system.

Well you might build a perfect system for yourself :D

Problem is everyone else :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Systems improve by incremental changes.

Take the Operating System or Internet Browser you're using to view this page, what version is it on?

The problem as thebman points out is that in our society small interest groups create barriers to the necessary incremental changes and, as such, we've stagnated with Ireland 1.x.y being many versions behind where it would be if we had governance (supported by an electorate) capable of telling these self-interest groups to get stuffed.

Advertisement