Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

You do have a lights fixation don't you!!

Can't see any difference between them. However, FF also do the plain ones which are E marked and unlikely to upset a thorough DOE tester. http://www.firstfour.co.uk/general-lighting/7-crystal-headlight-set-2064272-407474-.php

Good company btw, my winch bumper and steering guard came from them.

I'd be wary of HIDs, not sure of their legality in a vehicle not designed for them and probably not E marked. Is that price for just one lamp?

For pure off road use, a lightbar above the screen is popular. Strictly speaking illegal on road but you see many trucks with them, just make sure you can isolate them at DOE time.
    http://www.firstfour.co.uk/p0/light-bars/407458.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

101sean wrote: »
    You do have a lights fixation don't you!!
    Is that price for just one lamp?:o

Nopw, thats two xenon lamps.

Between those and my Hi lites 150 watt rally lights and the 4 50 watt roof bar lights, i reckon ill be like the sun rising over the hill :)
    The xenon beams are cpmpatible with UK requirements and i can put the covers on the Hi lites for the MoT.

Ill take a few pics of before and after. I got the steering rod guards 2" raised springs, rock sliders, back corner covers, winch bumper and winch.

It will be like the space shuttle Atlantic....

Won't need a snowplough round your way then, you can just drive round and melt it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

I heard tell today of a LandRover scrapyard in Carlow somewhere, can anyone tell me any more? Is there such a place & where?? It'd save me a trip here http://www.landroverbreaker.com/gpage.html

Quantity Item Price Estimate Shipping Total
    1 High Beam (12000K) (Land Rover Defender, 2008, 1x - Include :)

They'd give ya a horrid blue light, white is around 4500K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Seanieke wrote: »
    I heard tell today of a LandRover scrapyard in Carlow somewhere, can anyone tell me any more? Is there such a place & where?? It'd save me a trip here http://www.landroverbreaker.com/gpage.html

The chaps name is Kevin, I'm not sure of the name of the place where he is, but I know its not too far from Hacketstown.
    We picked up a fair few parts from his, his mail addy is kjlandrover@eircom.net
    if you want to mail & see if he has the parts you're looking for.

I'm not affiliated with him, but found him great for parts availability & reasonably priced too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

They'd give ya a horrid blue light, white is around 4500K

I've a pathological hate of blue lights. Its just plain unusual to drive with.

Re bulbs and lights, ive fitted osram nightbreakers to the headlights and driving spots (H4 and H7) and the light is amazing :D:D

There very slightly whiter then el boggo lights but there not blue in anyway

The chaps name is Kevin. I'm not affiliated with him, but found him great for parts availability & reasonably priced too :)
    Fair play to ya Caprilicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Hi All, im changing the steering wheel on the defender, anyone got any idea waht a "spline" is andhow do i count them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Hi All, im changing the steering wheel on the defender, anyone got any idea waht a "spline" is andhow do i count them?
    The cogs on the shaft, you will see them when you get the wheel off.
    When you have the wheel nut loose dont take it off completly until you have the wheel pulled from the splines, it can take a bit of force to do this and the nut been left on will save you smacking your nose with the steering wheel.

• Advertisement

Good advise there, it's embarrasing when the wheel smacks you in teeth!

You should be able to count them by prising the centre cover off which will expose the nut, remove this (25mm socket probably) and you'll see the end of the splines. Will be either 36 or 48 fine splines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 reefbreakbda

Hey there,

Looking at 01 110 hardtop decommisioned from ESB. It has 137K and looks in really good condition to me (compare with my old 110 SW).

That said. It has stood in a yard since it 2008 when the tax ran out and ESB moved it on.

It seems to run and drive great, but anything to look out for with it haveing stood for so long?

Cheers...

Hi and welcome.

It shouldn't have done too much harm standing around. Look for rust in the footwell and corners of the bulkhead, they tend to collect water if stood on a slope. Check the swivel balls on the front axle for corrosion. Have a good look at the tyres for cracking and perishing from being stood.

Other than that, it should be fine after a good service. I think the ESB look after their vehicles well,.

My td5 has being slow to start for the last while and I had thought it could be a problem with an earth connection somewhere in the loom.
    I had a look at the ECU over the weekend and there was a little bit of oil in the red connector but not nearly as much as there used to be before I changed out the injector loom a few years ago but I cleaned it up anyway and it made no difference.
    The battery is new and the alternator sends out 14.7 volts when running which to my mind only leaves the starter motor or an earth.
    This evening I was almost stranded, it turned over for 15 seconds or so and then I gave the battery a rest. I tried again and nothing all the dash lights fine but turn to position two and not even a click. This has happened before but when I try a third time it usually fires up, not this time though until I tapped the starter motor with a hammer, thank God that worked. The starter motor is gumed up with oil from a leak that I have been to lazy to trace or fix for a while now and I think it must be chief suspect at this stage.
    So can anybody tell me what is involved in taking out the starter mortor and cleaning it or am I lightly to need a new one? or is it possibly another problem?
    Thanks Jim.

Hi, Td5 starters seem to be failure of the month at the moment! Easy to change and a decent auto electrical place should be able to refurbish it, a new Nippon Denso one is around €170ish. Disconnect the battery first as welding a spanner to the engine is embarrassing! When you do this, turn the ignition on and off first and disconnect within 15 seconds or the AS10 alarm will get the hump :rolleyes:

The starters don't like being leaked on, most common cause is a leaking Fuel Pressure Regulator which drips diesel on it. The other common leak is from the rear of the cam cover gasket, this sounds more like your problem from the starter being gummed up rather than wet with diesel. The gasket leaks around the semi-circular cut out, beware there are two part numbers depending on engine age.

Have you taken a lead direct from the battery neg to the block to eliminate the main batter earth as the problem?

Thanks Sean. No I've done feck all about it so far only looked at the ECU and tightened down the earth under the seat when I was there. Its my own fault for not looking at that leak all winter long when I could make the time. Now it will be a Sunday job and of course I need it working now every day :(
    I will start with the earth from the battery though and see, thanks again.

It's always the way, got a heap of parts to replace my leaking radiator and sort my wandering steering and had them for months, just never have the time :o

Sorting the wrecked engine in my 101 and re-wiring it is taking priority at the moment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2047377

Anyone any opinions on that Defender? My cousin is going to have a look at it during the week. He's been looking for a defender (he's very fussy about which model he's after) for about a year now .

Any sort of idea what type of money is actually buying them at the minute?

If it was a base model I'd say it's a bit overpriced but I reckon that's about right with the extras. What will put many off is the €940ish road tax on it, nice looking motor, aren't many that good here but lots in the the UK.

The roof rack and the tyres will cost 3-4mpg (285s are the biggest you can fit without a 4" lift) The PSI upgrade is probably a chip box, these aren't very good so I wouldn't count it as a selling point.

Defenders do hold a price premium but it's a limited market here.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Sean,

Any idea what's up with Landroveraddict? It's been down for maintenance for a day, now. Do you know any of the Mods?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

No idea and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Likewise!

Its back on temporarily, will go back off tomorrow, they are having a problem shifting it to new software.

I need to get a hub assembly, brake disks, cv joint, stub axle, bearings, seals, drive flange for the 110, looking online Paddocks seem to be coming up best on price. Has anyone any dealings with them good, bad or indifferent?

Also I have heard of a guy in Baltinglass who has a few LR's for spares, anyone know of him?

Thanks
    Seán

I need to get a hub assembly, brake disks, cv joint, stub axle, bearings, seals, drive flange for the 110, looking online Paddocks seem to be coming up best on price. Has anyone any dealings with them good, bad or indifferent?

Also I have heard of a guy in Baltinglass who has a few LR's for spares, anyone know of him?

Thanks
    Seán
    I have had bits and bobs of them before and they were OK but I did not get any major parts from them, also the postage on that lot will be expensive. Have you tried Crozier 4x4 ? They are in Offaly with next day delivary if they have the parts in stock and cheaper postage costs.

Paddocks charge a flat rate £10 postage, I use them lots. With seals, bearings and other critical bits put G after the part number or you'll end up with spurious bits in a blue box. I also use LRSeries almost as much as Paddocks, nice easy website that always gives you the choice of genuine or aftermarket parts. http://www.lrseries.com/

Crozier 4x4 can be competitive and get parts in quickly from Bearmach.

Seán there's a chap in Hacketstown (not sure how far that is from Baltinglass?) that gets donor Landy's in from the UK every few weeks, here's his contact details........
    The chaps name is Kevin, I'm not sure of the name of the place where he is, but I know its not too far from Hacketstown.
    We picked up a fair few parts from his, his mail addy is kjlandrover@eircom.net
    if you want to mail & see if he has the parts you're looking for.

I'm not affiliated with him, but found him great for parts availability & reasonably priced too :)

Or as mentioned in a previous post, Crozier 4x4.........

http://www.crozier4x4.com/

I've used them before & can vouch for them, they were really helpful & their prices very reasonable (also as mentioned much cheaper postage than buying from UK!)

O.A.P wrote: »
    I have had bits and bobs of them before and they were OK but I did not get any major parts from them, also the postage on that lot will be expensive. Have you tried Crozier 4x4 ? They are in Offaly with next day delivary if they have the parts in stock and cheaper postage costs.

I had a look but they didn't have all I needed. Only paid €11 postage from Paddocks & I'll have the stuff monday. Paid €260 for it all, Main Stealer quoted €900 odd

101sean wrote: »
    Paddocks ... With seals, bearings and other critical bits put G after the part number or you'll end up with spurious bits in a blue box.

Great advice, must bear that in mind next time I'm ordering from them!

• Advertisement

I had a look but they didn't have all I needed. Only paid €11 postage from Paddocks & I'll have the stuff monday. Paid €260 for it all, Main Stealer quoted €900 odd
    There you go then, I did not know that it was only £10 delivary from Paddocks as I said only ever had a few small bits off them and that cost the same.
    Why would anyone get parts off Landrover direct their prices are extortionate, I have learned this the hard way unforunately.:(

Advertisement