Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

thats true lad , but if i could of got a set for a few euros i would buy them , probably end up making them in the end , i got a nice roof rack second hand at very small money and that was the only catch , they are serious money to buy new them racks , i think it should look nice with 4 modest sized spots on the front hanging down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

This fella is not too happy about the new defender either.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTSShysjWA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

@101Sean, can I pick your brains for info on a part I'm trying to source? as you seem to have an infinite knowledge on these Landy's :)

Its for the Series III 109 5 door safari that is the project at the moment.

I've attached a pic of the support bar that holds the back door and sits on the sills.
    Do you know the proper name for that part?

184544.jpg

As you can see in the pic, the bottom of it is rusted to bits, as are the sills it sits into.
    I'm trying to see if the replacement parts can be sourced handy enough or is it cheaper/easier to try get them fabricated?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we've hit a bit of a stone wall here!

THanks,

C

• Registered Users Posts: 29 griff110

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anybody knows of a good and comprehensive dvd set or a very comprehensive illustrated book for the maintenance of defenders. Really I'm looking for a step by step guide to show me what to do. For example the next set of jobs I have to do is replace the front and rear half shafts. I also want to replace the brakes disc, calipers, flexible tubes but I reckon I'll leave that to a pro as I'd rather not find out I've made a bags of it when I really want the landy to stop.
    I have a haynes already but i don't think that it caters for somebody of my level of numptyness. I found this guy on you tube http://www.landroverworkshopdvd.com/ does anybody know if its any good or is there something else out there

I have a TD5 110 btw

Cheers

Griff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Hi Griff

Following the Haynes you should be Ok and the Defender is very easy to work on. If you do a search on RAVE, you should be able to find the official electronic manuals to download, there's different versions, you need to find one with Defender in it.

Haynes also do a Defender restoration and repair book full of photos compiled from magazine articles. I have a copy, it's good for beginners, I only have it to keep the library complete! :o

For an index of a very good UK forum illustrated how to's look here - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=4731

TBH, I wouldn't worry about that DVD, you can probably find the same info for free on Youtube.

• Advertisement

Hi C

Probably cheaper and easier to repair (around £400 a side new). That B pillar should be in one piece with the sill and bottom of the C pillar. It's a Frame Assembly- Bodyside - Station Wagon. There's loads of part numbers as 109/110/130 SW, DC are all the same with very minor differences.

Can't find any pictures but can tell you they are definitely one piece as I broke a SW several years ago, gave away the side frames too :rolleyes:

Thanks a mill for your help (again!) Sean :) ouch the price of replacement parts are a bit steep alright.

I may tell himself to get handy with the welder so or get parts made up.
    This project is turning into a bit of a money pit!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 griff110

Much appreciated Sean,

I'll get those Haynes ones (the one with the pictures sounds like the one :o).

Thanks again

Griff

I've read of them being successfully welded up, hardest part is probably keeping it neat and aligned.

Griff

Just checked my copy, it's biased towards earlier Defenders (TD5 engine not covered) but all the running gear and the like is well illustrated. You'll probably find as much info on line but a book in the hand is better sometimes.

Looks to be out of print -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Land-Rover-Defender-Restoration-Manual/dp/1859606008/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323475540&sr=1-11

It's probable replacement (includes Td5 and Puma)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rover-Defender-Haynes-Enthusiast-Guide/dp/184425710X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323475540&sr=1-3

There's also a modifying manual and a military one (getting excited now!) available for pre-order
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Land-Rover-Defender-Modifying-Manual/dp/0857330934/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323475540&sr=1-4
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Military-Land-Rover-Defender-Enthusiasts/dp/0857330802/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323475540&sr=1-6

Spotted some other books, I'd better get plenty of Amazon vouchers for Christmas!

• Advertisement

101sean wrote: »
    I've read of them being successfully welded up, hardest part is probably keeping it neat and aligned.

I'm going to bring the part I have here down to a metal fabricators nearby and see if they can do it reasonably enough. Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Anyone care to point me away from a dealer minus industrial Vaseline and point me to a car alarm crowd in Leinster that can make me up an extra fob for my 90?

Just picked a 90 comm puma the other day.....i thought the transit engine would have been a pig....nop, loads of mid range punch.:)....im a bit suspicious it might have to the chipper........ gearbox they say is a weak point but I'll be light trailer ing so hopefully it'll be fine. Feels great to be back in a landie again.

Just an extra alarm fob would be nice.

Also need to put matting into rear and put wood on the inner sides to protect bare metal work and to reduce noise.

I think you may have no choice with the dealer, I can't find anywhere that lists post 07 fobs. What does it look like,similar to this? http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/13623/YWX101220-TRANSMITTER-REMOTE-ALARM.html?search=alarm&page=1

Ply or chequerplate lining is common as is lining the sides and roof with closed cell camping mat. As yours is newish there are neater ready made solutions, will be a dearer but more professional looking.

http://www.tge-defendertrims.co.uk/purchase-defender-trims.php
    http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/shop/26_mud-defender-trim
    http://www.lasalle-trim.co.uk/sidetrims
    http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

101sean, I can't thank you enough for going to all the effort in pointing me in the right direction. The alarm fob is similar and will follow it up.

Thank you. D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Hello all!

Well after a very long search and a couple of near misses I finally took the plunge and purchased a Defender 110 hardtop. Totally bog standard with nothing really done to it. (Judging by my little list that'll soon change!) Little bit of damage here and there, as to be expected. First thing to go will be the wheels followed by the grill.

Here it is.....
    185030.JPG

Bearcat - no problem, have links to the majority of suppliers on my pc and always have one of the comics lying around. Must find a later version of Microcat as mine doesn't cover Puma but I suspect they may be using a different alarm unit, too new to show up on aftermarket suppliers sites.

WMC - nice looking truck, like the colour. Those Wolf rims are the strongest steel ones you can get and would look good in black. Otherwise there's plenty of rim choices from the usual suspects (I'll take the wolf rims off your hands ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jwhat

WMC I want second dibs on those wheels please if you are getting rid.

101sean wrote: »
    WMC - nice looking truck, like the colour. Those Wolf rims are the strongest steel ones you can get and would look good in black. Otherwise there's plenty of rim choices from the usual suspects (I'll take the wolf rims off your hands ;))
    jwhat wrote: »
    WMC I want second dibs on those wheels please if you are getting rid.

Glad you like it. I'm a total novice when it comes to defenders but we all start somewhere right? :o When I said they'd be the first to go I actually just ment that I plan to replace them with boost alloys w/ BF Goodrich AT's for road use and use the Wolf rims when I get a bit of cash further down the line for some proper off road tires. (Sean I was thinking black too)

Glad you like it. I'm a total novice when it comes to defenders but we all start somewhere right? :o When I said they'd be the first to go I actually just ment that I plan to replace them with boost alloys w/ BF Goodrich AT's for road use and use the Wolf rims when I get a bit of cash further down the line for some proper off road tires. (Sean I was thinking black too)
    Very nice 110 you have there, I like that colour too. How old is it?
    Why not get yourself a nice set of Zu rims for both on and off road use with the AT tires.
    Then I could take them tatty old wheels off your hands.:D

Sound idea having two sets of tyres if you are going playing. I run BFG muds all the time but I reckon they cost me 2mpg so was going back to A/Ts. I do have spare disco steel rims here so I'll chuck some cheap muds on them for getting down and dirty seeing as you're keeping the wolf rims.

Wolf rims come up frequently on fleabay as take offs or tatty ex military ones.
    Blindo rims as used on the latest R-WMIK are the new cool :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

I'm handy enough, but just never done anything like this before. I've got two driving lights that I'll mount to the bumper.
    Anyone know of a site that would have clear Defender wiring instructions, w pics? Also need to know how to get a switch into the dash into a spare, plugged slot.
    Thx

Lovely 110 WMC, looks like its pretty spotless! Happy motoring :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

HI all, - first time posting on this thread, I only discovered its existence tonight. Some lovely Landrovers here.

I've been a landy fan for years, have owned a few discos etc, and currently have this Series 90 hardtop.

This jeep is mostly original, but with the checkplate, highjack, old RR wheels, rocksliders & snorkel. Original engine and running gear. I've used it a little offroad, some light trailer work, tbh not too much in the 3 years I've owned it.

Now, the problem as with most of these is the chassis, - it's beyond plating to get it past the doe, so she's either going to be an offroader only in future, or else she'l need a new galvanised chassis.

The bodywork is a bit too straight on her to make her an offroader I think.

What would you guys do with her if she was yours?

1 Sell it,- what's she realistically worth?
    2 Keep and don't fix, - just use offroad?
    3 Fix this problem, What'll it cost, and what'll she be worth after?

John, is that 84 genuine? If so it's a very early 90, they were introduced in June 84. What engine is in it and what state is the bulkhead in? They are starting to pay silly money for them in the US as can be imported once over 25yrs.

I'd blank the rest of the number on a public forum btw.

As it stands here with no DOE it's probably worth €1500 ish? 90/110 prices are way above anything else.

As an offroader it's not much good without a decent chassis plus you'd have to trailer it everywhere.

Personally I'd rebuild it on a new galvanised chassis (get them to stamp your chassis no on it), galvanise the bulkhead, new uprated suspension and probably a Tdi engine. You have a keeper then that's also vintage in 2-3 years (assuming the goalposts don't shift :rolleyes:)

Either that or restore it as original, early ones are thin on the ground.

Tom

Easiest way for you is to get a wiring kit with relay etc included but do not use any Scotchloks that may be included. Also for them to be legal on the road they need to go out on dipped beam so you need to know where to tap them into.

What year is your Defender as that affects what switch you need?

How to - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=46876

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

Hi, It's an 05. The Ring lights I bought have a wiring kit included. I can probably, just about figure that part out. Not sure how to get the wired thru firewall or how to get the switch into the dash.
    Thx!

My brother in law picked up a nice straight/clean second hand chassis from a chap in Carlow, off the top of my head I think it was €600, just to give you an idea of prices.

I second Sean's suggestion to fix her up, the body looks nice and straight.

Tom, there's grommets in the bulkhead you'll squeeze wires through and the dash falls apart if you undo a few screws ;)

I'll see if Ican find part nos for the switches in the centre console later

I was at the main dealers this morning for an oil filter (td5) and was shocked to be charged 5 euro for it. If I remember right the last one I got there was 12. They told me that all service items (filters and break pads) on the older models have come down in price. I always get genuine filters, mostly on the net but as the main dealer is only 5 minutes walk away and are now apparently competitive I might aswell use them.
    This has made me happy today anyway, some of you may have already known about this, but for anyone who did not they are worth asking now if its only service parts you need.

• Advertisement

O.A.P wrote: »
    Very nice 110 you have there, I like that colour too. How old is it?
    Why not get yourself a nice set of Zu rims for both on and off road use with the AT tires.
    Then I could take them tatty old wheels off your hands.:D

See that's what I love about Defenders, you can't really tell what year they are from model to model! It's a '03 with 63k on the clock.

I do like the Zu rims. One of the guys I work with has them on his 110 along with 37" Cooper STT's. Looks very well. Trying not to copy him too much! :)

Advertisement