Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

In doing research while looking for a defender (still looking, and trying to sell my BMW coupe), one of the plus points that seemed to come up was that defenders hold their value better than most.

The only figures I can get access to is the OMSP (open market selling price) determined by the Revenue from the VRT calculator. Mileage doesn't seem to affect the value here, just the age, so that considered, here is how revenue values a Land Rover Defender 90 Hard Top Van (Statistical Code 41887108) in a range of years from new (€26,912) to 13 years old (€1614).

I reckon the values are a little skewed, but I'm trying to find good model years to buy, based on a major drop of depreciation having just occurred. bit of nerdy fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Have you found many 13 year old Defenders going for 1600 euro?. It could be thats all they are worth but no one will take so little unless it was in very poor condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

O.A.P wrote: »
    Have you found many 13 year old Defenders going for 1600 euro?. It could be thats all they are worth but no one will take so little unless it was in very poor condition.

But this is it - I would say the older cars here are undervalued, but the benefit is that you could import an older, low mileage car from the UK and pay extremely low VRT. You would wonder where the revenue get their figures from though, I can't see any defenders going for €1600 - not even 1980's models.

Yeah I can see what you mean, although they cost more to buy in the U.K than Ireland in the first place. A few pages back a fellow from Wales I think was on here looking to get an Irish landrover because of the price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I agree, for once the OMSP price is way under value for older vehicles, it's usually the other way round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

O.A.P wrote: »

But this is it - I would say the older cars here are undervalued, but the benefit is that you could import an older, low mileage car from the UK and pay extremely low VRT. You would wonder where the revenue get their figures from though, I can't see any defenders going for €1600 - not even 1980's models.

I bought an 2005 XS model in the UK in 2006 which cost 20.5k sterling. These are selling for up to 15k now. That would equate to less than a grand a year in depreciation. Thats in the UK. In Ireland, if you can find one, you might get it for the same number of euros. Importing by comparison would be insane once you add vrt.

Even old ones in UK can be dear if well maintained because the same obsession with year does not apply. Add vrt, even if low, and shipping costs etc and I doubt if importing would offer any cost benefit. Choice of model and quality would be important considerations. If you found one that had been rebuilt with galvanised chassis and clean bulkhead it would be worth importing. It would probably see you out.

May's Land Rover World magazine has a full round up on tuning for all Land Rover models.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Suckler

Anyone running a Puma diesel Defender here? Mine has started to make a series of approx 5 squeeks after I knock it off and a small one if I gently and quickly tap the throttle. I've read someplaces that it could be the EGR cleaning??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Suckler wrote: »
    Anyone running a Puma diesel Defender here? Mine has started to make a series of approx 5 squeeks after I knock it off and a small one if I gently and quickly tap the throttle. I've read someplaces that it could be the EGR cleaning??

Have they got the slip pulley on the alternator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Suckler

Slidey wrote: »
    Have they got the slip pulley on the alternator?

Got a call from the mechanic now, its a motor that activates the EGR - there is a vid on youtube of the same problem, will dig it up and post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Hi guys, first time on this thread but long time Defender appreciator!

I was wondering if I could get your opinions on this model. Would it have power steering and how much would it cost in VRT and commercial tax? Sorry I have read through the thread a bit but it's very long! I have heard that prices here can be better too so don't know how this one fares. Are there obvious things to watch out for and ask when buying an old one?

I would really love to invest in my first one soon and that is really the max I would spend, and would love to make improvements to it over a few years.

Any opinions and help much appreciated, would love to join the club!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Faigs lovely 90, very tidy for the year!

The VRT can be calculated here http://www.revenue.ie/en/online/vrt-calculator.html

The road tax as a commercial is €300 for the year, you do need to have a VAT no. & have it registered as a commercial vehicle to avail of this though.
    Failing that, you're looking at a private motor tax rate of €1000 odd :eek:

With the exchange rate on it working out as just over €4200 its enough to spend on a 20 year old vehicle, bearing in mind the VRT has to be added to that to + cost of DOE.
    That said the Defenders do run forever once they're looked after so could be a worthy investment.

That does look nice and it will have PAS.

Cheers guys. Realistically I probably won't be buying yet, depends on my income over the next few months, but if I was going to the UK for one I'd probably bring my mechanic mate along. Something like that, I'd try to get for £3k. I have a VAT no and would just need to get it registered as a commercial.

I've actually never driven a defender and would love to before 100% deciding to buy one, is there anywhere this is possible? I wouldn't want to waste a sellers time by driving it and deciding that I hate the ride on the road, although it would not be my primary mode of transport! It would be used off-road sometimes and on road a good bit when I've gear to carry. I hear they are quite thirsty!

Go and view a few Irish ones first and get to feel the comfort and pleasure ;) of driving a defender you may love it but a lot of people could not live with it as a daily driver or at all maybe.
    Expect between 25 -30 MPH. I drive a 110 td5 and get 28 MPG towing up to 3 1/2 tonn which is great although I have never got more than 30 MPG when empty :(.

Hopefully you'll get a drive off someone, definitely needed if you haven't driven one before, could be a bit of a culture shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Culture shock isn't the word for it :eek: I went from driving an MGF to a 90 with massive offroad wheels that handled like a drunk donkey.
    I stopped on the way home & had road tyres put on it before I drove it anywhere else.

It was a grand drive in the summer, but once the rain started to creep in the door seals during the winter my husband inherited it & I wimped out & got a freelander instead :o

Would you plan on using it as a daily driver or a toy for the weekends? I suppose it all depends on what you're using it for.
    I drove Capri's as my daily driver without a bother as they were a lovely comfy car to drive, so it's not like I wasn't used to the older vehicle either.

Don't get me wrong, I love Defenders. I love how useful they are and how there's very little terrain that they can't cross.
    I do find they drive like a small tractor though & that includes the newer one's (the newest I've driven was a '03 90).

Thanks guys, yea I really want to get a drive in one. I've driven many a tractor and heavy machinery in my time! I don't think it would be a daily drive, I usually drive a 12 year old Golf TDI and a few company jeeps for work, if I was to get a defender it would be for some work gigs where I have to move a lot of gear and possibly to tow a small boat in the future. Also for off road when I'm back home in Meath and for when/if there's snow around.

Now to find someone to get a test drive from!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

I'm still on the lookout, my advice would be to buy over here, good ones are really expensive in the UK. They drive nicely, especially if you fit an uprated RTC steering damper, I'm hoping to pick one up next Saturday, ut knowing my luck it#ll be gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Seriously wouldn't want to put anyone off buying a Defender, but the attached document is worth having, to assist you in your enjoyment. You could call it the Defender Wiki......leaks :D

I have found it useful more than once. All part of the charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

in fairness, I have a puma model....no leaks yet. You either love em or loathe em. For me its my mobile office for tools, junk, sh@te, what ever. It has the handling of a shopping trolley on the motor way, hates going above 100kph even thought its geared for it now.....will go up crap dirt tracks to hangars/ sheds that i need to go to. That tdci ford transit engine is a little gem. Will never have the adaptability of the td5 re modding but since i have it 70 k miles it hasnt missed a beat and is very economical for a jeep on the daysul.

Servicing everything is crucial.

big fan here......and always get a friend wave from fellow defender owners.

I think the new 2.2 model is available now in Britan I'm not sure about here. It will help a little with the motor tax anyway, whether they have managed to squeeze enough power and torque out of it to pull a 90,110 or 130 chassie around and still have an exceptable MPG figure, we'll have to wait and see.

It's supposedly the same power out put but meets latest emmisions regs. It also has a DPF but it is sited directly off the turbo so it should always be hot enough, or so we are told....

2.2 is a courtesy nod to the authorities....those dpf things are the greatest curse ever and by god if you need a replacement deep pockets are needed.....see the bmw forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

I am planning on purchasing a new set of wheels for my Defender and I am hoping to buy a set of these wheels:

http://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/defender/18inch-kahn-rs-defender-alloy-wheels-tyres-p-1724.html

Any thoughts on where i might source them here in Ireland or can anyone recommend a Kahn dealer here? Thanks in advance

Wow, your certainly won't be on the farm with those babies. I source most of my stuff via the uk and wHen stuff gets expensive suppliers look after you re postage.

You will have to get them tracked and balanCed on receipt of thEm. I have found tyremaster walkinstown v good....(I am not affiliated )

Besta luck with your purchase.

I doubt whether you'll get a decent price here, importing a complete wheel tyre package from the UK from the likes of Paddocks, Craddocks or Silverline etc would be the most economical. I think genuine Blindo rims are the current fashion item.

If you wanted to see if there was a dealer here try mike@kahndesign.com

I've just taken my alloys off and gone over to Wolf rims with 265/75 BFG ATs.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

no12 wrote: »
    I am planning on purchasing a new set of wheels for my Defender and I am hoping to buy a set of these wheels:

http://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/defender/18inch-kahn-rs-defender-alloy-wheels-tyres-p-1724.html

Any thoughts on where i might source them here in Ireland or can anyone recommend a Kahn dealer here? Thanks in advance

My advice is to go over and have them fitted, lot less risky. I hope it's a 90 you plan on putting them on........................ a vat number might be handy.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

stock> wrote: »
    no12 wrote: »

My advice is to go over and have them fitted, lot less risky. I hope it's a 90 you plan on putting them on........................ a vat number might be handy.............

I plan on putting them on Black 110 yes I have a VAT number so that should save a few bob aswell. By the looks of it most places do good wheel and tyre packages. Anyone know anything about these guys:

http://www.rst-landrovers.co.uk/default.asp

they are selling them on EBay for £299 incl Vat so hopefully get a good deal with tyres will have to put BFG AT on them be rude to put anything else on them

Advertisement