Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Never bothered much with connecting trailer lights since Defender lights were usually visible above trailers, but now I need them I realise they are bunched. I have replaced the socket because the original had a huge amount of internal corrosion.

With a trailer, when I turn the running lights on there is no problem but when I turn on the indicators EVERYTHING flashes on and off. A buddy said it is most probably a problem with the earth. I was testing each of the socket pins in turn and realised that when I put the tester on pin 5 (right hand rear light) with the earth from the tester on the earth pin, the fuse blows for the right hand lights. All the other pins seem fine.

Any ideas on how to diagnose the problem. As I just spent €130 for a new tailgate lock (supplied only) I'm trying to avoid any unnecessary bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Your buddy is right, it will almost certainly be an earth problem. Basically go back through the trailer wires and clean any earth points. Also remove the cover inside the RH rear of the vehicle over the back of the lights and clean the earth point there as well. If it's an older defender the wiring in there will be a real birds nest of Lucar connectors so have a good root around and clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Ok. Thanks for that. This will be another journey into the unknown on the good ship Defender. My poor knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 shaycoll

Hello. I was wondering if anyone had a solution for noisy brakes. There are lots of suggestions online but I don't know what to try first. I had the pads changed a few days ago but now I sound like a train braking! Could it be crap brake pads? If so, any suggestions on what brand to use? Thanks in advance.

Probably down to pads. I've found Mintex ones tend to squeal where Ferodo ones don't. It's only rears that seem to do it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 shaycoll

Thanks. Got onto the guy who did the job and it was Mintex pads he used so he'll change them for me. Hopefully that will fix it. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

My search for my 1st Defender took off again this week, during the week I looked at a 1990 110 and today I looked at a 1989 90 on northern plates. The 90 is alot better nick than the 110 and it is very likely I will buy it. It's received a transplant in the shape of a Nissan 2.8 engine, it's local too, only 3/4 miles away. We thought I'd be able to change it over as a commercial for whatever the van rate is at the moment but from viewing the Ros calculator it seems not, or am I missing something ?

Will post pics of the 90 if and when I get some but in the meantime here's the 110 I had a look at;
    2012-06-07143052.jpg?t=1339081782

You should be able to commercially tax it if you have the required proof. As it's on northern plates you'll have to pay 13.3% VRT on it. I thought it was illegal to sell a vehicle on that wasn't registered here though?

That 110 shouldn't have a DOE, has bald crossply tyres on it!

The 89 90 will have started out most likely as a 4 pot petrol or possibly a V8. There were some well executed jap diesel conversions done before Tdi engines became widely available.

Hey Sean,
    I'm back on the trail again. Yeah the 110 doesn't have DOE and the tyres are cat, it needs a fair bit of tidying up. The 90 was bought down from Cavan a few years ago but never changed over cause it was used off-road for shooting and the like. Do your forsee complications transfering ownership ? I'm close with this one ( I think), very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Just out of curiosity tinofapples, what price are they selling for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

Hi lads, there's a nice defender for sale that has side windows and rear seats, but currently the seats are out and it is DOE'd as commercial. I'm tempted to pick it up but I would be sick if it failed the doe next year based on the windows. What's the deal did the current owner get lucky or is seats out enough to claim fully commercial? Cheers

Do your forsee complications transfering ownership ? I'm close with this one ( I think), very close.

There might be a little hassle. We bought in a Series III from the UK a few months back.
    Part of the registration process was giving proof of what date the vehicle was brought into the country (I had a transport company bring it in, so had receipt with date on that).
    There might be a wee bit of an issue as you wont be able to verify when it was brought into the country.
    If unsure, VRT is dealt with through local NCT offices now, you could always pop into one if you're near one & ask them?

What's the deal did the current owner get lucky or is seats out enough to claim fully commercial? Cheers

If it was done some time ago when things were more lax you should be OK. Either that or they've stuck windows and seat in a plain hardtop, easily done and easily reversible.

tinofapples, check first because since they gave the checking of imports to the NCT it's got harder as caprilicious says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭O.A.P

My search for my 1st Defender took off again this week, during the week I looked at a 1990 110 and today I looked at a 1989 90 on northern plates. The 90 is alot better nick than the 110 and it is very likely I will buy it. It's received a transplant in the shape of a Nissan 2.8 engine, it's local too, only 3/4 miles away. We thought I'd be able to change it over as a commercial for whatever the van rate is at the moment but from viewing the Ros calculator it seems not, or am I missing something ?

Will post pics of the 90 if and when I get some but in the meantime here's the 110 I had a look at;
    2012-06-07143052.jpg?t=1339081782
    That looks a lot like what I bought, when I was richer, younger and lucky. Make sure to give it a dam good look over before you part with cash.
    The front bumper was not green when it left the shop, so have a good look at the rear crossmember if its green too its hiding rust, (I do it with black paint) but I'm only fooling myself.;);)
    Well ware, it looks straight on that side so if the other side matches it and its not rotten.:cool:
    What engine has it 200tdi, 300tdi or v8.

Just out of curiosity tinofapples, what price are they selling for?

Very much the lower end of the market, sub €1500.
    There might be a little hassle. We bought in a Series III from the UK a few months back.
    Part of the registration process was giving proof of what date the vehicle was brought into the country (I had a transport company bring it in, so had receipt with date on that).
    There might be a wee bit of an issue as you wont be able to verify when it was brought into the country.
    If unsure, VRT is dealt with through local NCT offices now, you could always pop into one if you're near one & ask them?

Thanks.
    If it was done some time ago when things were more lax you should be OK. Either that or they've stuck windows and seat in a plain hardtop, easily done and easily reversible.

tinofapples, check first because since they gave the checking of imports to the NCT it's got harder as caprilicious says.

Thanks Sean.
    That looks a lot like what I bought, when I was richer, younger and lucky. Make sure to give it a dam good look over before you part with cash.
    The front bumper was not green when it left the shop, so have a good look at the rear crossmember if its green too its hiding rust, (I do it with black paint) but I'm only fooling myself.
    Well ware, it looks straight on that side so if the other side matches it and its not rotten.
    What engine has it 200tdi, 300tdi or v8.

Thanks O.A.P. I think I'll buy the 90, it's had a lot more work done to it leaving less for me, the Northern plates being the concern. The 110 had the 2.5 engine in it, only showing 131k, previous owners Parks and a lady owner as well as current. I was told it was originally green, painted (badly) red and returned to green (pretty badly) by current owner. I asked him what he painted it with, he told me Fleedwood:eek:

........ I was told it was originally green, painted (badly) red and returned to green (pretty badly) by current owner. I asked him what he painted it with, he told me Fleedwood:eek:

Pmsl I've heard it all now!!! Though we had a 90 a few years ago that had been owned by a garden centre who had hand painted it (roughly!) a glittery purple. The following owner had also hand painted it but had gone for black.
    Under the arches were red & some parts were mustard.
    It had a very colourful past!

I came across one recently on done deal when mooching & it seems like good value....(€1600)
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/3201098

I mailed the guy about it as my other half was looking for one & the owner has it fixed/booked for DOE.

Random topic altogether, but do Paddock spares ever give out discount codes?
    We bought a fair few bits for them recently rebuilding the Series III & I did mail them to ask if they could give a discount code for next time I got stuff, but they always 'forgot' to answer that query in my mails :rolleyes:

Never had a discount code from them and I've ordered from them loads.

Pmsl I've heard it all now!!! Though we had a 90 a few years ago that had been owned by a garden centre who had hand painted it (roughly!) a glittery purple. The following owner had also hand painted it but had gone for black.
    Under the arches were red & some parts were mustard.
    It had a very colourful past!

I came across one recently on done deal when mooching & it seems like good value....(€1600)
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/3201098

I mailed the guy about it as my other half was looking for one & the owner has it fixed/booked for DOE.

Random topic altogether, but do Paddock spares ever give out discount codes?
    We bought a fair few bits for them recently rebuilding the Series III & I did mail them to ask if they could give a discount code for next time I got stuff, but they always 'forgot' to answer that query in my mails :rolleyes:

I have seen that one alright and pretty much every other one on dd for the last 6/7 months !!

I have seen that one alright and pretty much every other one on dd for the last 6/7 months !!

I know I shouldn't say it on this thread, but I've been looking for a (cheap) diesel freelander the past few weeks & can practically recite each ad on it from memory now :o

Thanks Sean, would hate to think there was a freely available discount code that I was missing out on after all the stuff I've got from them recently!

A fair number of lads over on 4xforum have bought Freelanders as daily drivers, like you I think they looked at loads before they found ones that worked! Had a phone call late Thursday night and then an early one Friday from a mate who was looking for one and asking for advice, think he got the third one he tried. One of the calls was while he was driving round in circles looking for signs of a failed VCU!

• Advertisement

My interest has sparked him into selling:

this is the 90 I spoke about close to me. Thoughts ?

Would make a good off road toy with a decent set of tyres on it.
    Longer term, the amount of chequer plate would concern me, what's it hiding? Lot of shiny/bare paint on the bulkhead, would want a close look at that.

How do you rate the diesel Freelanders generally Sean? budget is low for this purchase (€2k tops) so it'll be an older one we'll get.
    Himself viewed one last week, apparently just needed fuel sender, he omitted to mention the missing propshaft!
    Some bogey one's out there!
    I know the petrol one's have the K engine notorious for the head gasket blowing, I had one a few years ago & found it fairly thirsty too.

Tinofapples, it looks like it could need a bit of tidying alright, did you test drive it yet? Was the current owner using it on the road or offroad/for farming?

How do you rate the diesel Freelanders generally Sean? budget is low for this purchase (€2k tops) so it'll be an older one we'll get.
    Himself viewed one last week, apparently just needed fuel sender, he omitted to mention the missing propshaft!
    Some bogey one's out there!
    I know the petrol one's have the K engine notorious for the head gasket blowing, I had one a few years ago & found it fairly thirsty too.

Tinofapples, it looks like it could need a bit of tidying alright, did you test drive it yet? Was the current owner using it on the road or offroad/for farming?

Yeah I had a spin in it on Saturday when I offered him 1000 cash there and then. It's only been offroad since he bought it, never changed the plates over. TBH I don't think its worth much more than I offered given that it will cost at minimum €250-300 to re-register. That's not to mention the hassle of trying to re-register seeing as the vehicle has been South for a few years now. I spoke with him this evening again and he's hoping to get as near as the asking price for it.

101sean wrote: »
    That 90 is tasty.

New Defenders are all Class N1 no matter how they are built so you can have a County Station wagon with windows. It isn't retrorespective though so any 90 or 110 Station Wagon pre 2011 can't be imported as commercial with windows or seats.

Looking at another that was imported as a station wagon but converted to commercial 18 months ago. Has a current DOE. It has rear side-facing seats removed, but they can be put back in easily. is there a risk that it could lose it's commercial status in another DOE station or is it a safe buy?

Owner looking for nearly €13K for a 2004 with 80K miles. It looks clean, but is this a fair price? Here are a few pics of undercarriage and chassis - I take it this rust is easily removable? I'd like to clean it up.

Any advise appreciated as I get closer to a decision. Looking at a freelander2 today also, to make sure I'm not going to miss creature comforts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Thats only the rear bumper you have pictures of and its surface rust.

You need to check underneath, especially where the chassis seams meet at the bottom. Both sides behind the rear axle is one area prone to corrosion.

If you put the seats back in it is highly likely that you will be failed for it in the DoE

You do get surface rust but it shouldn't be bad at that sort of age, there's only a thin skim of paint on it. A thorough spraying of shutz will cure that.

The door frames and the bulkhead want a good looking at plus anywhere you have electrolytic corrosion of the aluminium. Post 02 ones shouldn't be as bad (you should see the state of mine, a 00 )

It would have to be a very shiny spotless example with service history for that money.

Post 94 (I think) have tubular seat belt rails with struts through to the chassis in the back, they should have been removed for the conversion.

Freelander 2 is very reliable by all accounts and will be easier on the pocket.

Slidey wrote: »
    Thats only the rear bumper you have pictures of and its surface rust.

You need to check underneath, especially where the chassis seams meet at the bottom. Both sides behind the rear axle is one area prone to corrosion.

If you put the seats back in it is highly likely that you will be failed for it in the DoE

Cheers for the replies lads. I'd keep the seats out but nice to have the option. So if it passed DOE once, it can't be revoked provided it's in the same state I gather? Does this photo tell you much about the chassis:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

My other half is looking for a landrover defender 90. Preferebly one from 07/08 onwards. He has a isuzu trooper 3.1 but it's about to die so set his heart on a defender. It will be used as a farm jeep. We went to see one in Offaly but it looks like he might miss it.

We've looked at Stuarts and Newgate, where else sells defenders. They seem to be really hard to find.

• Advertisement

Try Cahir 4x4. 90s aren't plentiful here as I think new ones cop 13.3%VRT rather than the €200 on a 110 van or pickup.

Advertisement