Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Simple, needs a 12V supply to the gauge, and a cable from the gauge to the sender. Best bet is to use the correct gauge as it will be calibrated to the sender but they are standard 52mm dia.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

whats the main areas to look at when buying a defender or problems on the older ones

Have a browse back through this thread, it's been covered a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

Anyone know of good storage boxes for the back of a defender 110 must have pull out drawers similar to these:

http://www.masai-land-rover.com/defender/sporting-box-rear-storage-drawers-defender/

Or am I best asking a joiner to make something up?

Cheers

These guys do some nice stuff but pricey - http://www.mobilestoragesystems.net/

There's plenty make their own and joiner should make a nice job.

I did my own wheelarch boxes in ply, one of them keeps getting wet inside though! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

Thanks Sean. Yes pricey is right though look heavy duty and would last a lifetime but £600 pound is a bit on the rich side! This guy does a good job here of describing how to DIY it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBgpCdqKwOg

Think It will be a friend who's a joiner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ei7fzb

Anyone have a preference in engine in a Landrover Defender, 2.4 or the 2.5 diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

ei7fzb wrote: »
    Anyone have a preference in engine in a Landrover Defender, 2.4 or the 2.5 diesel?

I have td5 (2.5) defender. Parts for engine are very expensive. Injectors are about 600 euro each.

The new defender with 2.4 engine has a ford transit engine. Which can't be a bad thing

The 2.5 Td5 engine is very robust engine despite what doom-mongers out there say. A minority of heads can crack, a stronger Spanish head from Turners is around £2500 or a normal head around £1200 from the usual suspects. Injectors are less than £200 but rarely need replacing. Mine is on 160k miles and going strong. It was the last true LR engine and easily tuneable.

Earlier 2.5 200 and 300tdi engines are simpler but 200 parts are getting hard to get. Good 300tdis can be dearer than a shabby Td5

From 2007 they have the Ford 2.4 tdci Puma engine and a lot of interior upgrades. The current engine is the 2.2 tdci. They are both Transit engines much modified to suit LR's needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Suckler

I have a 300 TDi defender, TD5 Discovery and 2.4 TDCi defender. Each one was a refinement on the previous without doubt. Each one has it's own flaws. Senas Post gives a good summary of them. Major difference with the new Puma defender is the 6th gear, it cruises at 120KpH and will do 140 when needed. As usual insulation (thermal and acoustic) was lacking, but a nice drive. The TD5 always had great grunt when towing and never failed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭happybob

emaherx wrote: »
    I have td5 (2.5) defender. Parts for engine are very expensive. Injectors are about 600 euro each.

The new defender with 2.4 engine has a ford transit engine. Which can't be a bad thing

2.2 I believe.

Separate, but related ...

What is the use of a USB port on the BACK of a dash mounted car sterio system?

And, related ...

It may interest you to know, that if you order steel wheels, the factory automatically delete the Anti-Roll Bars from the spec. Not sure if there is a technical, or just marketing reason for this, but, be aware.

Also read a separate anecdote that steel wheels are beyond the ratings for the the ABS/TCS system so for ABS/TCS, allows are required. Have not tried to validate that.

These f--kers are very hard to buy -properly- ... I think the purchase process itself is a right of passage.

And the bonus question for tonight ...

Does the Defender have a cigarette lighter socket? For charging phones (though I think I might be inclined to take up smoking fairly soon) ...

The specs do seem to vary from what you'd expect, my 2001MY CSW should have a body colour roof but it's white. Should also have anti-roll bars but it doesn't :confused:

When my bro-in-law ordered his new 130 in 2005 he asked for blue, same as his previous 02 one. It turned up in green, never told him that for that year they were only doing white or green 130s. :rolleyes:

As for ABS and steel wheels, can't see how they affect it other than LR being awkward.

I'll be bringing my spec. out and crawling in every nook to make sure it is what it was supposed to be ... (ordered!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ei7fzb

Does any one here have a tubular winch bumper with no winch and might be willing to swap it for a non winch tubular one? Cheers!

Tum Tum Tum ... wait August Delivery ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

happybob wrote: »
    Tum Tum Tum ... wait August Delivery ...
    That's two months of rusting, before you even see it.:D
    Make sure you post a few pics when you get it, please.

Guys: Was there six seat TDCIs or did the new 2.4 and seating arrangements arrive together?

• Advertisement

They arrived together.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

I see 1 or 2 places in the UK are doing ex MoD Avon Rangemasters with rims for pretty decent prices. Anyone ever had them shipped over here or is there anyone in the Republic doing them? I don't fancy spending a fortune on tyres if I can get a set cheap that will last me for a year or 2. One crowd - think they're called "Country Vehicles" seem to have them for about £60 incl. rims but I can't get them on the phone :(

There's lots of new factory take off steel rims and Rangemasters on ebay and at dealers. Very good general purpose tyre usually taken off for shiny alloys and bigger tyres.

Try LW Vass as well, they stock lots of military take offs.

I bought a pair for £50 off ebay for my Rapier trailer but it cost another £50 via shiply.com to get them shipped here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

Thanks 101sean...didn't think of dealers actually...
    Ya, my spare is a rangemaster and it looks grand on my 110, not really into the flashy brands and only I end up in a field a few times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

So, we're headed to America to find our fame and fortune! Have a non-farm 05 Defender. So iets in pretty clean condition - well, really clean for a Defender!
    Not in a huge hurry to sell as we won't be leaving for 60-90 days.
    How to get the best price? Just some nice photos and post on Done Deal/Carzone or is there a better way? Any suggestions?

You can put it up on here via adverts.ie (see the rules in the for sale section), otherwise DD probably.

You could see if any of the lads on the 4xforum would be interested, link in my sig vvv

OK - got a strange one here. The rear view mirror came out of it's socket - OK, with a little help from me trying to get it out of the way! Came out of the ceiling mount pretty easily and cleanly - nothing broke in other words.
    The arm has a tab on the bottom and a fierce spring loaded brass fitting on the top. It's going to take some kind of force to compress the spring. And, it has to be done with the mounting plate screwed into the ceiling.
    Its an 05 Defender, BTW.
    Anyone had the inside rear view mirror arm off before? How did you get it back in? There must be some kind of twist that I'm just not seeing.
    Thanks!

Right - got this one figured out! They must hire some gorillas at the factory! I got it to snap back in with the top spring loaded part going first. Just had to muscle it a bit more than seemed reasonable at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

Does anybody know what is the story with the New Model Defenders (similar to the Evogue) due to come in in 2015, will the existing styles be taken completely off the market? I currently have a 08 commercial pathfinder which I was hoping to keep for a couple more years before getting a new Defender however if they'll be gone from market then my plan is up in air...

• Advertisement

There is no new model Defender yet. the DC100 concept has been rejected (but may turn up as a new model in it's own right) I think there is derogation to carry on building current utility Defenders until 2017.

The replacement is looking more like 2017 now, if it happens at all. LR say they are saying it will but Tata are making huge money making the luxury models, they can't build Evoques and Freelanders fast enough so they don't need the Defender despite it defining what Land Rover is.

One good thing is the uncertainty is keeping Defender values high :D

You mention Evoque in your post, hope you are confusing models and the replacement Defender isn't related to it :eek:

Advertisement