Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nhoj88

Yes i know, and dont mind for now as i dont have a centre seat i have a cubby box so will just leave it out for a couple of months until i can afford a reconditioned defender gearbox, thanks for the reply

nhoj88 wrote: »
    Yes i know, and dont mind for now as i dont have a centre seat i have a cubby box so will just leave it out for a couple of months until i can afford a reconditioned defender gearbox, thanks for the reply

Leave the cubby box out i mean and have the gearstick in the seat box have seen it on the internet doesnt look "too" bad will only be for about 6months until i can get the money up

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

101sean wrote: »
    Sparkman, when my seal needed replacing my windscreen developed a couple of bad chips so it had to done under insurance ;)

Yes - I think there's a crack developing on the windscreen as we speak...
    I better get it replaced ;)

Just in case that approach doesn't work though - this seems to be a long way from the 90 euro someone else paid for a seal: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER-DEFENDER-WINDSCREEN-GLAZING-RUBBER-SEAL-CPE500020-/360416343048

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Ok, got a leak in my lannie, I think it's from the slave cylinder. The heat is aggravating the leak, making it run out a bit quicker. A slow leak overall but a pain so gotta spend some more money next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Cheap fix if it's the slave, change the the flexi hose while you're at it. You'll probably end up changing the master eventually, they tend to go together ;)

They can be a bugger to bleed, I usually just do enough for the clutch to work and the rest of the air will work it's way out with use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

I don't have a defender at the minute and to be honest I don't need one but Jesus, I'd love one! Just saw this online and I know from reading 80 something pages that the true enthusiast won't be too keen but to me, this is just gorgeous!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Land-Rover/Defender/110-LWB-/36313748498715890/advert?channel=CARS

Would it be safe to test the zf 4hp22 auto box by puting the lt230 transfer box into N and accererate listening to the gear changes all the way up and down??

And what other things should i look out for testing this box, there is 130kms on it not sure of the history

Yes, done that numerous times with manual boxes. No experience with auto boxes but I assume you'd have to shift manually as there'd be no load?

Thanks for the info, I thought the kickdown cable changed the gears in D in relation to the location of the accelerator position?? Not the load?? As theres no ecu on this box....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

There is no new model Defender yet. the DC100 concept has been rejected (but may turn up as a new model in it's own right) I think there is derogation to carry on building current utility Defenders until 2017.

The replacement is looking more like 2017 now, if it happens at all. LR say they are saying it will but Tata are making huge money making the luxury models, they can't build Evoques and Freelanders fast enough so they don't need the Defender despite it defining what Land Rover is.

One good thing is the uncertainty is keeping Defender values high :D

You mention Evoque in your post, hope you are confusing models and the replacement Defender isn't related to it :eek:

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I haven't been boarding much recently ...

It wouldn't surprise me if they dropped the Defender. Its following is a massive drag on them because they prevent them from modernising it, I personally would like to see them go back to the drawing board and produce a true modern Defender from the ground up with the same design brief but a wholly modern approach. In a way this is what DC100 attempted but it had to make some concessions to the market and safety rules. Those concessions and a fanbase made up of people who actively resist any change for better or worse are what killed DC100 even though I think LR should have stuck to their guns, I think the Defenders fanbase would have accepted it once they'd had a chance to get used to it.

I heard a while back that LR intended on making the next gen Disco less plush and more practical so what we may see is a phasing out of the Defender (which is, let's face it a very niche product) with the 90 being replaced with a "farm spec" Freelander and the 110 being replaced with a less Chelsea Discovery. This would also help with their goal of moving people onto auto boxes as it's less "sacrilegious" to have an auto Freelander or Discovery than Defender*.

* I have an autodisco, I wouldn't have it any other way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Stonewolf wrote: »
    I know I'm a bit late to the party but I haven't been boarding much recently ...

It wouldn't surprise me if they dropped the Defender.

I heard a while back that LR intended on making the next gen Disco less plush and more practical so what we may see is a phasing out of the Defender (which is, let's face it a very niche product) with the 90 being replaced with a "farm spec" Freelander and the 110 being replaced with a less Chelsea Discovery. .

* I have an autodisco, I wouldn't have it any other way

My brother had a freelander a few years ago [1.8 petrol] and it is the only one that I have first hand experience of, it was an awful car hardly fit for a normal everyday commute
    . I have a small farm and use a 110 defender on it and other jobs loosely farming related.
    I realize that engine wise my brothers freelander was about the worst one but if landrover expect to sell freelanders as a farmers vehicle they must have the biggest piece of marketing in history planned.
    They might aswell sell their share of that market to Japan now while its still worth a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

I'm replacing the radio on my TD5. the slot is much bigger than any radios I can find (even land rover radios) so I want to fill empty space around it. Managed to find a photo online. Attached to this post (I hope)....
    Anyone got any suggestions? I could get something made I spose but would prefer to just buy one if available.

You're probably looking for a single in to double DIN adaptor plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Sorry to jump in lads but i think this is just a continuous thread is it ?...Anyway im in the process of trying to buy a Defender 110,i had a look at one today,I only need one too be able to pull a horsebox now and again,, and a few things are concerning me,,,It is sound underneath chassie wise,the queries i have are just 2 things,,one is in the 2 top front corners there is some clear silicone on the outside it looks as though it was slapped on to either stop a water leak or maybe a wind whistle,the guy selling it didnt own it so he has no idea what the story is,,im thinking maybe it is a common problem with them and this may be a rough way of fixing it,,,any help would be great,,And another thing i noticed is a lot of oil on the diff rear axle,is this a common seal leaking thing i wonder,,Other than these two things it seems OK,,,It is a 2003 110 by the way with 75000 on her,,,,Are there any other known problems to look for with this model van anyone tell me,,,,thanks in advance folks

Yea, it's a continuous thread, post away.

By front top corners do you mean the roof or the top of the bulkhead below the screen?

First is probably a futile attempt to stop rain coming in the doors, almost impossible to stop Defenders leaking somewhere!. Second you may see on older ones as the bulkhead top corners rot, shouldn't be happening yet on a 2003. Could be the screen rubber cracked as well

The oil on the diff is the pinion oil seal, post 02 they have a 4 pin Rover diff in the rear, changing the seal on them is a piece of cake. Check the breather isn't blocked first though.

No other real issues, TD5s are very reliable and 75k is low miles. Pull the red plug on the ECU under the seat to check for oil. Post 02 have a different injector loom but I've still seen oil migration in them, simple fix though.

If you not going to be use it often, keep the battery charged or the alarm ECU will get upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Thanks for the reply,,,,yes i mean the silicone is at both front roof corners,,There is not dint on them or anything to show they may have got a bang or anything,,,,,and now you say it yes the screen rubber is very cracked and perished but i dont know if its leaking or not,,,,,So you wouldnt be worried about the diff oil leak,its a easy enough fix yea,,,,,The chassie seems fine although i will be getting it on to a lift to have a good luck before purchase,,when should the timeing belt be done on them,i suppose as its 10yr old it should be done anyway due to age if not mileage if it hasnt ever been done,,, I suppose it would be no harm plugging her into diagnostics to see whats what aswell,,,a buddy has a great snapon unit so it would cost anything,,,thanks again,,

TD5s have timing chains so no rubber band to snap.

Worth getting it plugged in if you have a mate with the kit, hopefully it wont show anything untoward.

In case anyone didn't see it, the world as we know it comes to an en on 20th December 2015 with the end of Defender production :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/motoring/8654/land-rover-the-end-of-a-legend.html

Knew it had to come but still sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Got my Defender back from Australia today - sitting in the back yard now as we speak :D

In case anyone didn't see it, the world as we know it comes to an en on 20th December 2015 with the end of Defender production :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/motoring/8654/land-rover-the-end-of-a-legend.html

Knew it had to come but still sad news.

Sorry to hear it confirmed, this should make our landrovers more valuable though. It might take ten or fifteen years I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

any idea how much it will set me back to buy a second hand diesel engine (1988 110 currently has a 2.5 petrol in it thats killing me both on upkeep and petrol) and what sort of money id be looking at to get a mechanic to put it in?

Best bet is to buy a DOE or NCT failed late Discovery 1 300Tdi and take the engine, intercooler, etc out of it. It will fit your gearbox with the backplate off the petrol engine. 200tdi used to be common but are getting hard to find plus the turbo in the Disco version is in the wrong place.

There's engines come up now and then on DD and on the 4xforum, expect to pay €5-700 for an engine.

As for fitting, it's reasonably starightforward as you can use mostly stock parts, new engine mounts will need welding in. It's a couple of days work, no idea how much a mechanic would charge as I do all my own work!

There was a lad up north who did this but his website is gone. Look at the links on this UK site for the amount of work involved including costs, very informative site - http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200tdi.htm

You can drop a range of jap diesels in but then you need to add the cost of a conversion plate etc at around £750.

You may also have to change your transfer box, yours is probably a 1:1.67 which will leave a diesel screaming it's nuts off at 55, fit the transfer box out of the disco you've just broken ;)

The cost will pay for a lot of petrol, the petrol is a nice engine apart from it's thirst!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CiaranIRL

I have oil leaking from my clutch pedal. Besides Stuarts, is there anywhere else in Dublin that would check teh master cylinder for me? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jmjjeremy

Hi Guys,

Moved to Dublin and living in an apartment so no longer have a garage or the tools to do some basic servicing on my defender.

I want to renew gearbox oil, top up transfer box oil, top up front and rear axle oil and renew the wheel bearings and propshaft grease.

Does anyone know a good independent garage in Dublin who would do these jobs for a reasonable price?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Hi guys !
    Have been reading through this as although I don't have a Defender I did have 2 Discovery 1's and a D2. I still take an interest in Land Rovers and would still have the D2 only for the cost of tax etc .
    My brother had a 96 D1 ES for a while ( which I sold him ) but last year he opted to go for a crewcab - D1 tax was very high also. It is a 7 str with leather and AC .
    A few months before he 'parked' the Disco we fitted a complete new clutch + rear crank seal + slave cyl + tbelt kit + water pump + LR fuel pump .
    The Disco was running perfectly (about 150 K I think )and he still has it .
    I hope its OK to mention it here as I feel it would be a shame to just let it rot away when it has a lot to offer - and as he has a lot on his plate as they say he hasn't done anything about selling it . His son still drives it around the land.
    The Discovery is in Co. Galway and if anyone is interested I could put them in contact with him .

dooroy wrote: »
    Hi guys !
    Have been reading through this as although I don't have a Defender I did have 2 Discovery 1's and a D2. I still take an interest in Land Rovers and would still have the D2 only for the cost of tax etc .
    My brother had a 96 D1 ES for a while ( which I sold him ) but last year he opted to go for a crewcab - D1 tax was very high also. It is a 7 str with leather and AC .
    A few months before he 'parked' the Disco we fitted a complete new clutch + rear crank seal + slave cyl + tbelt kit + water pump + LR fuel pump .
    The Disco was running perfectly (about 150 K I think )and he still has it .
    I hope its OK to mention it here as I feel it would be a shame to just let it rot away when it has a lot to offer - and as he has a lot on his plate as they say he hasn't done anything about selling it . His son still drives it around the land.
    The Discovery is in Co. Galway and if anyone is interested I could put them in contact with him .[/QUOTE

How much?
    If it was a 300 tdi defender he would have no problem shifting it at the right money, but why would anybody that has any interest in landrovers pay more than ??? euros for a 17 year old discovery with at least 150 k on the clock?
    He might get a 1000 or two if he sells it in parts though. Stick up a few pics anyway, prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Afternoon folks, long time reader first time poster :D

What is the general consensus on ex-military Defenders? There's one up for auction in Wilson's tonight
    http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/vans-location/56

The prices are very high in the UK,
    e.g. http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,25,47,/58016/Land_Rover.htm

I'd love to know how much the Wilson's one will go for. If I had known about it before today I'd probably head over and see for myself!

Great thread btw, hoping to enter the world of Defender-ownership in the near future, I'm about halfway through this thread so I'll probably have a bunch of n00bie questions for you all soon :)

Hi and welcome to the thread!

That's a Tithonus 110, refurbished 5 years or so ago, they go for £4-5000 in the UK. The Tithonus project refurbished loads of 110s sorting any corrosion out, new seats and soundproofing, roll cage, TUM spec hood or hard top, chequerplate etc. Unfortunately they didn't change the engines, they are still the 2498cc Naturally Asthmatic diesel!

Ex MOD Land Rovers have always held a premium, they are maintained to a budget, when that runs out they are cast. They've been let go with new chassis or engine before now and then cast because a wing got bent. The Wolf XDs 110s go for £10k or more, Pulse ambulances at least £15k although 90 prices are dropping. Ordinary MOD 90/110s (which mostly date from 86-89) are usually £3000 or so.

The only cheapish military LR at the moment is the armoured Snatch, mainly as they are so impractical and the 1.5s are V8 petrol engined!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dighire4u

Hi am just looking to fit a over drive to my 130 crew cab defender Td5 for top end speed has anyone here fitted one and what is the best make to go with from it experience. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

You won't have much luck finding an actual overdrive unit.
    What people do is stick a Discovery transfer box on there instead. That does the job nicely.

Advertisement