Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

The engine will come with PAS pump, the £350 will probably be for a secondhand box, reservoir and pipes plus fitting, new PAS boxes are around £370 alone. S/H is fine provided it doesn't leak.

140k is ok IF it's had regular oil changes, should be OK for 250 - 300k (miles not km) if looked after.

Ye lazy fecker, wash it yourself! Powerwash mine only when I start getting dirty just walking past it! I'm not sure a garage wash machine would do a good job plus I'm reckon mine would wreck it anyway with so much bolted to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

What do you mean, washing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Want to get a clear picture of the underside as tis a bit mucky! Been at my mechanics for the last few months, got it back today and noticed some surface rust on the underside

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Want to get a clear picture of the underside as tis a bit mucky! Been at my mechanics for the last few months, got it back today and noticed some surface rust on the underside

Most washes are 2.2m so should just barely fit once nothing is added to the roof

Spend some time with a powerwash and get wet and mucky if you want to clean the underside, there's a lot of places that trap mud. I have fairly high water pressure at home and find an ordinary hose and nozzle good at getting in to corners, Defenders are one massive mud trap! Then get underneath with a wire brush and a big screwdriver (wear eye protection) and be prepared for a few shocks!

Hopefully you'll find nothing but on my 2000 110 a small hole in the rear crossmember ended up as the whole thing being replaced!

• Advertisement

Well im sending her out to a landrover guy next week for the conversion so il be asking him to give it a going over for anything really bad, although my normal mechanic tells me it is in very good nic for something 26 years old haha, ive a feeling it would probably drive until its wheels fall off

oh btw the 2.5 petrol engine that il be taking out of her, is it worth anything? Or do mechanics just hold onto them as part exchange or something

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

101sean wrote: »
    The latest diesel craze though if you are seriously in to fabrication is is a Cummins BT6 and gearbox out of Leyland DAF 45 mated to the LT230 transfer box.

Just saw this, Sean. Hadn't heard of this conversion.
    Is that the same engine as a Case/International 5150 tractor? Big 6 cylinder lump of metal to have sitting up front I would have thought. great engine though!

Nekarsulm, I don't know if it's the same engine but there's a fair number of conversions around in the UK and at least two in Ireland, one of which is a work of art in polished stainless piping. There's a FB group for them.

It's a very tight squeeze and needs a fair bit of fabrication for pipework but someone is producing an adaptor to match the gearbox to the transfer box.

Icyseanfitz, probably little demand for the engine. I'd have it off you but the vehicle that would want it is at my other place in the UK and it's a heavy lump!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Nekarsulm, I don't know if it's the same engine but there's a fair number of conversions around in the UK and at least two in Ireland, one of which is a work of art in polished stainless piping. There's a FB group for them.

It's a very tight squeeze and needs a fair bit of fabrication for pipework but someone is producing an adaptor to match the gearbox to the transfer box.

Icyseanfitz, probably little demand for the engine. I'd have it off you but the vehicle that would want it is at my other place in the UK and it's a heavy lump!

Probably the same engine. Neighbour bought one from Conaty in Kells to replace a cooked engine in his tractor, and it came from DAF truck. Seriously reliable engine. I changed a water pump on his, and its a comfort to work on as well. He changed the injector pump and ditched the compressor to suit the tractor.

she starts first time, most of the time :D, in all seriousness though it only has 54k miles on it, il ask the mechanic if he wants it i suppose.
    Drove her to work today, god i forgot how much i love these things! just a big stupid grin on my face toddling along, and i am quite partial to the noise the petrol makes at times :pac:

Quick question Sean, would a lack of oil in the petrol engine have caused it to lose power while driving and break down, was having awful problems half a year ago with her just randomly starting to lose power while driving (kind of felt like the fuel was empty) and just cutting out, not able to turn her over.
    Before i sent her to the mechanics i checked the oil and it was very very low so i am just wondering would this have been the root of those issues?

• Advertisement

The Cummins are seriously reliable, one I saw had 300k on it before it was transplanted!

The low oil level on the 2.5 petrol won't have done any harm, it sounds more like a fuel issue or intermittent point problem.

I seriously miss my 110 and 101 for the grin factor, I'm in the UK most of the time with a company van and a 73 Lightweight neither of which have the same effect!

my wheels are looking a little bit tired/rusty, can i just get some spray paint and do them myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭O.A.P

my wheels are looking a little bit tired/rusty, can i just get some spray paint and do them myself?
    What wheels have you ?
    The standard 16" x 5.5" Landrover wheel I have came up well when I sanded them back to metal, sprayed them with primer and then satin black .
    When I got it the wheels were a white cream color and looked bad with scratches and rust but I sprayed them the original color that time and after about a year they looked just as bad again
    They have been black for about 5 years now and need redoing but not nearly as bad looking as when they were white.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

Currently on the hunt for my second defender. The pricing is annoying! Trucks originally advertised at €17.5 are down at €14k in the space of a month. I'm not in this price bracket but it is a CSW I'm after and has to be TD5 so I need to spend 10k at very least for a 2005. People are chancing their arms and over advertising their vehicles, which is affecting the whole market. You can generally knock 1k off the asking over the phone. We don't seem to know the value of a Defender in Ireland right now. We know there is a market, but we're not sure who they are or how big it is. 2015 hysteria at it's worst. There is a 2003 110 CSW on Donedeal with 170k miles that looks rough in the pictures with an asking of 15k (seems to be a trade sale). It has been for sale for 6 months and seems to be the inspiration for the price on every similar CSW that hits Donedeal. I spoke to a man who was offered 9 for a very clean, newer and lower miles truck against a 2015 defender. Is the trade mark up €6000!! I will be viewing a CSW next week that I found on the forums that may fit the bill, so wish me luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Hello Moffett,

Defender prices have bamboozled me for years. In 2006 when living in the UK I bought a 2005 90 XS model for 20.5k sterling. I've done over 90k miles.The retail price on similar in the UK now is £13k-£15k (Less than 1000 pounds depreciation per yearicon7.png) That's pounds sterling. 16k-19k in Euro. Add VRT to import one.

On the Irish Revenue site the same is valued at about 6.5k in Euro, so VRT is not bad, but the difference between their valuation and the actual price in the real market (the UK) is mind boggling.

If I was selling mine, which I might, I would ship it back to the UK. Irish punters just won't pay that kind of money for that age of truck.

Interestingly, when I returned here in 2006 I would see maybe one defender every week. People used to crane their necks to look at it. Now on the drive into town I could see half a dozen. So someone is buying them.

PS Just saw pictures of the 2015 Defender. Jaysus, its a Skoda Yeti. NOW I see what all the hysteria is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

I agree, but folks in the UK are realistic about maintenance. To get top dollar, you need a complete and documented history and the truck must be in top condition. Ones that don't have this end up on ebay. My way of thinking is, that if you've been trying to sell it for more than a month, it's too dear. If I get in a good one I'll be keeping it for a long while, the only reason I sold the last one is that my family has grown larger. I think the overly optimistic pricing is fooling the domestic market, and a lot of folk are getting stuck with them. You can spot the ones that will sell fairly easily. I've always seen Defenders about my home town. The owners have changed though. Very few are worked! My search so far has revealed poor condition vehicles at high prices. Things were better the last time I went looking for sure. Just needed to get it off my chest I suppose! Also, what's the point in a 6 speed TDCi when it has no front flaps? Sacrilege.

It is a strange market indeed not helped by the stupid road tax and VRT system here.

I currently work in the UK, getting back home every 5 -6 weeks. As a result my 110 CSW is declared off road most of the time due the the private road tax cost. I'm seriously considering taking it back and re-registering it in the UK and selling it, it's a 00 CSW, a bit shabby round the edges (all 4 door frames are going) but still worth £5-6k. Got to pull the knackered gearbox when I'm home next week and replace it first though! :rolleyes:

Trouble is every time I come back and get in it, I realise how much I miss driving it.

It is a strange market indeed not helped by the stupid road tax and VRT system here.

I currently work in the UK, getting back home every 5 -6 weeks. As a result my 110 CSW is declared off road most of the time due the the private road tax cost. I'm seriously considering taking it back and re-registering it in the UK and selling it, it's a 00 CSW, a bit shabby round the edges (all 4 door frames are going) but still worth £5-6k. Got to pull the knackered gearbox when I'm home next week and replace it first though! :rolleyes:

Trouble is every time I come back and get in it, I realise how much I miss driving it.
    How many miles on it Sean, or what screwed the gearbox.
    The r380 box is normally strong enough if maintained, or so I have read.

I bought it with 75000 on the clock with no proper service history but the price reflected that as did the ep90 the gearbox had been topped up with! I fitted an Ashcroft recon box at 85k when a layshaft bearing went.

I put about 75k on that box but it had a slight bearing whine for ages which I couldn't pin down until it let go back in June, layshaft bearing again! Annoyed as I'd only just fitted a D2 transfer box and have got to pull it off again.

Going to pull the box next week and send it to Dixson 4x4 in Castlebar who have a good reputation.

My own had 80 k up when I bought it off a farmer in Wicklow. He maintained the engine and running gear well but it looked like it had been dragged through a hedge backwards (It needed to function not look nice )
    I have kept up the maintenance since and transmission wise the only trouble I've had is a striped halfshaft (my fault) and the transfer box linkage slipped off its pivot point.
    The gearbox has been fine though, I hopefully haven't jinxed it now.

• Advertisement

You should be OK. My bro in law has a 05 130 with 260k km on it since he got it new, still on original clutch and gearbox, and he tows every day! Only problems he's had are electrical.

Mine is getting to the age where bits are beginning to fail. Trouble free for years which was a joy, but in the last two years I have replaced a wiper motor, a rear door lock, a wiper spindle (both wiper jobs are dash off jobs and every time it comes off I have more screws left over, sitting in the ash tray), a fuel pressure regulator (just the diaphragm bit from ebay) and most recently the power steering pump. The ABS has seized (apparently its a sticking pump) but I can live without that until NCT time. Other than that its been totally trouble free(ish). Okay, it leaked all over the place, and there is a frequent whine from the auxiliary belt, the heated windscreen is shot and the rear one hanging on for dear life. Wheel bearings go occasionally and bushes replaced practically every service. But these are things you can live with:rolleyes:. Just glad nothing major has gone wrong mechanically.

The big problem here (in Ireland) in my experience is a lack of knowledge or expertise when it comes to diagnosing problems. Complete waste of time giving it to mechanics with a fault and asking them to fix it. Usually I find I have to trawl the web to find likely issues and possible solutions, then give it to a mechanic, with the new parts. Most are clueless when it comes to the TD5. That could contribute to the poor state of many a Defender here.

ABS pump seized? Have you had it plugged in and faults read? Usual thing that brings the lights on is either sensor failure or shuttle switch failure. The latter is a cheap fix but a dealer will tell you it needs a new modulator at €1000!

Wiper spindles, that's one fault my bro in law has had twice, don't fit Britpart wiper boxes!

Yeah. Plugged it in. Says pump is sticking. That's it. Nothing else. No mention of shuttle valve or usual quick fix options. I could buy a decent project vehicle for the cost of a replacement module. I've read elsewhere that a a couple of people have used a replacement module from a Disco 2. Same type but wheel sequence is different. Could not find out what adjustments they had to make.

The freaky thing is my wife has an 01 BMW Mini. All the same things have failed. The TD5 is BMW, is it not?

The disco unit is basically the same but the pinouts on the plugs are different. If you download a RAVE manual you can compare them. The WABCO abs unit is used in lots of vehicles including US Army Humvees! You an download a manual for them from WABCO

The Td5 engine had nothing to to do with BMW, it's the last pure Land Rover engine. There were supposed to be 4 and 6 cylinder versions until BMW took over and put their own engines in Freelander 1 and P38 Range Rover.

BMW sold LR on to Ford when they'd got what they wanted for their own X5. They also realised that Rover cars side was a complete lemon so sold that to a bunch of pirates who lined their pockets and destroyed what was left :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

hi all. been driving a 110 td5 for a few weeks now so i've joined ye. i have two questions ye may be able to help with? where do ye buy your spares? also does anyone know where i would get a stereo for mine, there was a single din sized unit in the defender when i bought it that was flopping abbout in the gap in the dashboard with some homemade plug connecting it to the landrover loom. i can tune it in to radio stations but can't get any sound, i believe it used to work but stopped all of a sudeden. i would like to get an original one to fill the gap as i don't believe an off the shelf double din head unit will fit this gap?

Rob

Cheapest spares can usually had from the UK from Paddocks, LRseries and Island4x4 amongst others. I'm actually at Island 4x4 as I type this! They all do reasonable postage to Ireland. Otherwise you have Croziers in Moate.

Reckon your speaker cables are unplugged or chaffed. You should be able to fit any radio but get one of the comics and look at Raptor or Mudstuff for consoles to fit something better.

got my 110 back :D shes running beautifully after a full engine swap, power steering, radio+speakers and a few other little bits and bobs.

im still not sure whether the fuel gauge is working though, was near the red 2 days ago so i put 20 diesel into her and she moved up a small bit to just over 1/4, and since hasnt really moved down :confused: is the tank massive in a defender so that 20 would do little on the gauge? should still have moved down with a little bit of use right :confused:

have to get her doed and taxed now, will i have big issues with doe because of the engine change?

16 gallon tank, 20 yoyos worth will just about coat the bottom of the tank! 20l would be 1/4 full. I usually brim fill mine so I can keep an eye on consumption, getting on for €100 to fill from empty though.

After the petrol I'm not surprised you think the gauge is broken, you're probably doing around 30 mpg.

Not a good idea to constantly run under 1/4 tank, fuel pumps don't like it.

You'll need to change the fuel type on the registration document otherwise I think the tester may have problems with computer wanting to test for emissions rather than just smoke.

Glad it's worked out well anyway.

• Advertisement

Id love to just put 100 quid into it to see does it move or stay where it is, if only i where rich :) thoughts of going through registration again after the coversion from ambulance to van which was a nightmare!!! Some power off the 200tdi when you put the foot down

Advertisement