Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Can anybody tell me if Fuchs Titan atf 4000 is a suitable replacement for MTF-94 for use in an R 380 defender gearbox
    I have been told by the local motor factors that it is but I'm hoping some wise heads on here can confirm and maybe save me wrecking the gearbox thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Are those YELLOW!!!! Defenders on Donedeal worth a look or have the balls been rung out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

O.A.P wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me if Fuchs Titan atf 4000 is a suitable replacement for MTF-94 for use in an R 380 defender gearbox
    I have been told by the local motor factors that it is but I'm hoping some wise heads on here can confirm and maybe save me wrecking the gearbox thanks for any help.

Had a look at this and all the literature keeps referring to it as ATF - so as far as I can see it is not a suitable replacement for the MTF-94.
    As you are probably aware the R380 suffered because LR recommended the use of ATF in the box originally , to 'cover up' a gear selection problem.
    The fluid/oil used in a manual box is not suitable for an auto box.
    Hence The MTF (Manual Transmission Fluid) is designed for a manual transmission.

dooroy wrote: »
    Had a look at this and all the literature keeps referring to it as ATF - so as far as I can see it is not a suitable replacement for the MTF-94.
    As you are probably aware the R380 suffered because LR recommended the use of ATF in the box originally , to 'cover up' a gear selection problem.
    The fluid/oil used in a manual box is not suitable for an auto box.
    Hence The MTF (Manual Transmission Fluid) is designed for a manual transmission.

Yeah I have read up a fair bit about it and the problem is ( as I understand it anyway) that an auto box takes a lot more oil than a manual and the oil is meant to pass through a cooler to keep it at the correct operating temperature .
    An R-380 gearbox only takes 2.75 liters I think and it has no cooler.
    Thanks for the reply Landrover want 20 euro a liter for MTF- 94 mad.png cheaper than fixing the gearbox I suppose.

I know its expensive but as you say cheaper than a gearbox.
    Have a look at this http://www.difflock.com/evolution1 expensive I know .
    A few years ago I had a D2 with the R380 and a while after buying it the box started to get noisy.
    I drained it and what came out was like dirty water - the previous owner had maintained it well but it was ATF that was used and was at this stage giving no protection to the bearings etc .
    I refilled it with the Difflock oil and got another 2 years out of it - had this been used earlier it would have been even better.
    There is more to the 'oil' than simply a matter of quantity - the manual and auto boxes require very different properties from their lubricants .

• Advertisement

dooroy wrote: »
    I know its expensive but as you say cheaper than a gearbox.
    Have a look at this http://www.difflock.com/evolution1 expensive I know .
    A few years ago I had a D2 with the R380 and a while after buying it the box started to get noisy.
    I drained it and what came out was like dirty water - the previous owner had maintained it well but it was ATF that was used and was at this stage giving no protection to the bearings etc .
    I refilled it with the Difflock oil and got another 2 years out of it - had this been used earlier it would have been even better.
    There is more to the 'oil' than simply a matter of quantity - the manual and auto boxes require very different properties from their lubricants .

More to it than quantity I know .
    I brought an empty 5 liter bottle of MTF 94 to a local motor factors (a good shop ) hoping they would have or order the equivalent oil. They did not have anything in stock so took all the details off the bottle I had and ordered 3 liters of Titan ATF 4000 (that's what their supplier recommended )
    I paid 30 euro for 3 liters of it Saturday morning but had my doubts when I got home , ATF is ATF no mater what bottle its in and yes I knew all about the trouble before MTF 94 was recommended .
    I went to landrover yesterday got 3 liters of MTF , I just knew the other stuff was wrong before anyone answered my post but I'm stuck with 30 euro worth of oil that's no good to me now .
    I have a receipt but they ordered for me and probably wont sell it on so I hate bringing it back frown.png

Its a pity suppliers don't put more effort into finding out whats what - bloody annoying to be left with 3 litres of the Titan .
    Maybe someone with an auto will take it off your hands .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Howdy defender fans.
    Seriously thinking about taking the plunge but sadly my knowledge of these babies are very limited. Was thinking about having a look at something like this:
    https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/land-rover-defender-series-3-2-3-56-tax/10381137 or should I be looking at something a bit fresher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

That's a very nice late Series 3 (not a Defender!!) and more of a collectors item than everyday transport. Prices are climbing for good ones but that's probably a bit over the top. Similar money would get you a later 110 Defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Howdy defender fans.
    Seriously thinking about taking the plunge but sadly my knowledge of these babies are very limited. Was thinking about having a look at something like this:
    https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/land-rover-defender-series-3-2-3-56-tax/10381137 or should I be looking at something a bit fresher?

It's a big jump buying a Series, even a fairly late one, if you haven't had experience of driving bangers. They all require lots of maintenance, and fuel, and bits drop off. Nothing on the road looks cooler but there is a price to be paid for the cachet of owning a classic. And fresher won't necessarily be better. Defenders (came after Series) are the same. Its a different type of vehicle ownership. Sort of bi-polar. Lots of ups and lots of downs. smile.pngfrown.pngsmile.pngfrown.png

• Advertisement

Definitely a love/hate thing, no in between! Some of us get it so bad we have a fleet (in two countries in my case)

Get a drive of one if you can, not many can live with the experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Charlie 22

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Are those YELLOW!!!! Defenders on Donedeal worth a look or have the balls been rung out of them?

I have the same question if anyone knows anything good/bad. Obviously ex ESB but would they have been taken care of?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

Charlie 22 wrote: »
    I have the same question if anyone knows anything good/bad. Obviously ex ESB but would they have been taken care of?

My defender 90 is a 1999 and was a ex esb , a garage in caven bought it and sprayed it green. You can see thr yellow coming though and the doors and windows but they sprayed the bulkhead and all. The chassis is solid as a rock , I know of some newer 90,a that the chassis is rotten. Mine has very high milage but runs like a clock. I'd say get someone to check it through as so many things could need changing. I spend 1000 on mine to get it though the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Paint is done :D

12036510_978687955486956_2864087878780627682_n.jpg?oh=abb99b5ab9a5f6f5a4f4dbbdf249bf63&oe=56957E80

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

Lovely job. Did u paint the wheel arches aswell? Mine are plastic and lookin a bit rough. Double side windows nicely done too. Also on my list for my 110...

Paint is done :D

12036510_978687955486956_2864087878780627682_n.jpg?oh=abb99b5ab9a5f6f5a4f4dbbdf249bf63&oe=56957E80
    Looks very smart , nice job
    It looks like you have the same problem with your wipers as I do

sparkman wrote: »
    Lovely job. Did u paint the wheel arches aswell? Mine are plastic and lookin a bit rough. Double side windows nicely done too. Also on my list for my 110...

for some reason these wheel arches stay in great nic, dont think the lads painted them. down the road i want to tint the windows, and put some nicer tyres onto it, I'll hopefully paint the wheels gun metal grey myself the weekend.
    Its pretty much the first time since i bought it that there is nothing really wrong with it :D, new engine/gearbox + power steering last year, had to do a fair bit of welding after it failed the doe this year (both foot wells and some of the bulkhead) which is why i went and painted it

Looks very smart , nice job
    It looks like you have the same problem with your wipers as I do

thanks :) excuse the ignorance but whats up with the wipers? I am so used of everything not working properly I've forgotten what properly working stuff is haha

thanks :) excuse the ignorance but whats up with the wipers? I am so used of everything not working properly I've forgotten what properly working stuff is haha

Unless they are working in the pic they have stopped hallway up the screen,
    Mine did that so I replaced the park switch, it worked for a week or two but now they have their own idea about what needs to be wiped . From the drivers side wing mirror to the bonnet hinges and anywhere in-between.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Unless they are working in the pic they have stopped hallway up the screen,
    Mine did that so I replaced the park switch, it worked for a week or two but now they have their own idea about what needs to be wiped . From the drivers side wing mirror to the bonnet hinges and anywhere in-between.

Mine do that but seem to park right if the windscreen is wet. Give a full sweep when wet. If wipers are running and it dries the sweep gets shorter and park half way up the screen.

• Advertisement

Mine do that but seem to park right if the windscreen is wet. Give a full sweep when wet. If wipers are running and it dries the sweep gets shorter and park half way up the screen.

The very same if the screen is very wet they have a better chance of stopping and wiping where they are supposed to.
    At this stage I have replaced everything apart from the motor and worm gear and have ordered a set of brushes (RTC 198 ) for the motor . I hope that works.
    Feel like burning it to the ground sometimes,frown.png

The very same if the screen is very wet they have a better chance of stopping and wiping where they are supposed to.
    At this stage I have replaced everything apart from the motor and worm gear and have ordered a set of brushes (RTC 198 ) for the motor . I hope that works.
    Feel like burning it to the ground sometimes,frown.png

think we all get this from time to time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I've a 1993 110 200tdi and the engine and gearbox haven't leaked since the rebuild 3,000 miles ago. I've been to Belfast and Dublin twice in her with no problems.

Today however she started making a bad noise and the rear wheels locked up about 300 yards from home. Bad smell of gearbox? oil??? She wouldn't go forward but then I reversed a few feet and put her in first and away she went, the grinding noise disappeared after a few seconds. Made it home keeping her in first. then noticed oil where I park her looks like its from the rear axle and under the transfer box or perhaps......

See the previous comment.

Sounds like the diff. Sometimes to the only way to disengage the difflock is to drive a few feet in reverse. I wouldn't know enough about it to comment any further but I'm sure a quick search of the main 4x4 boards will throw up something.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 electrichunter

Hi guys I am currently in a jiffy with regards buying a 130 defender or a hilux .I'm a tradesman and the 130 is attractive as load space is larger . And I like the defender but no nothing about them . It's a o8 so what if any are problems with them and what would fuel consumption be on average. I know the hilux are more comfortable but a bit of rough won't bother me as into the shooting and dogs so an all purpose for me.thanks for reading.

No easy way to sum it up. Read back through this thread if you want to get a sense of what its like to own one. Unless you spend a great deal of time off road they are not and never will be a sensible choice. Most owners (those that keep and cherish them) don't do it because they are economical or comfortable or easy to own. You either get them or you don't. The best advice I would give is buy the cleanest and most basic truck you can find (less to go wrong) and look after it. Chances are it will see you out if you are prepared to actively participate in ownership. Landrover Defenders (and I suspect all other models) do not like to be ignored. Take your eye off them and they will cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Anyone know of any Land Rover (Defender in my case) savvy mechanics in the Carlow/Laois area? Mainly a small bit of wiring (lights on roof) and two bits of welding.

Electrichunter
    An 08 will be a 2.4tdci (transit engine) and 6 speed box, reckoned to be pretty reliable but you'd still want to see some service history on it especially as there were some recalls on the transmission.

As Banjiolin says, they aren't for everyone, definitely a love/hate thing with a Defender, get a drive of one. An advantage over the Hilux and other jap pickups is it's permanent 4x4, handy if you do a lot of towing.

My Bro in law runs a 05 130 with 266k km on the original clutch and it tows most days when it's used. He now uses a van for smaller jobs as you'll get 25-28mpg out of it at best so that needs thinking about, Hilux may give 30 (as does my works Navarra). He had an L200 crewcab for a couple of years but it wasn't man enough.

Electrichunter
    An 08 will be a 2.4tdci (transit engine) and 6 speed box, reckoned to be pretty reliable but you'd still want to see some service history on it especially as there were some recalls on the transmission.

As Banjiolin says, they aren't for everyone, definitely a love/hate thing with a Defender, get a drive of one. An advantage over the Hilux and other jap pickups is it's permanent 4x4, handy if you do a lot of towing.

My Bro in law runs a 05 130 with 266k km on the original clutch and it tows most days when it's used. He now uses a van for smaller jobs as you'll get 25-28mpg out of it at best so that needs thinking about, Hilux may give 30 (as does my works Navarra). He had an L200 crewcab for a couple of years but it wasn't man enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Cracked my handbrake cable last week. I fitted a new one last night. Bit of an ordeal to tension it but got there by taking out cubby box and plate beneath.
    Just one question how many clicks should i hear when i pull before handbrake locks on? Currently counting 5 but Haynes manual says 3.

Advertisement