Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How fit should you be for going skiing?

• 11-01-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭

Going in Feb, am not that fit. Dont go to the gym or anything. Will I be tortured from skiing for a week?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You'll ache a lot after the week of using muscles that you never knew you had before, but once you are fit enough to be able to stand upright on your own two legs you can ski. You won't be winning any medals or anything, but you'll have fun.

There will probably be someone else along shortly with some better tips on getting ski fit, but I can never seem to remember those things myself.

My fitness levels are shocking and I managed 3 weeks of skiing last July no bother. I did "feel it" in the legs after a few days but I was well able to keep going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

My fitness levels are shocking and I managed 3 weeks of skiing last July no bother. I did "feel it" in the legs after a few days but I was well able to keep going.

Same here, except the 3 weeks skiing part. 1 week for me. Have a bit of a belly on me but not otherwise fat or overweight. Lets just say I'd be in a heap after a 100m jog never mind a sprint.

However I was skiing in Livigno last year after a gap of 7 years skiing. Not only did I get my ski legs back in the space of 60 seconds, (it really is like riding a bike) but within a few minutes I re-applied the leaning forward intructions that only clicked with me the last 15 minutes of my last skiing holiday 7 years ago. Within minutes I was carving down a red at breakneck speed behind a qualified boarding instructor mate, ie,. controlled fast skiing using 10ft width of piste instead of the zigzaging using the full width of piste, ie 10 times slower down the mountain. And I was able to keep doing this day after day.

Its amazing the fact that this level of physical activity continuously over 7 days at home would have me wrecked and yet it was no problem maintaining that level of activity on the skiing holiday. Must be the mountain air. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The fitter you are, the more you will enjoy it.

Getting fit doesn't have to be torture. Climb stairs at every opportunity, two at a time if possible. During the ads, do bodyweight squats and press-ups. Pull-ups will pay off if you have much poling to do. If snowboarding, do lots of crunches, working up to V-ups, you'll need your core strength.

Lots of walking, cycling, or even dancing will all pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

If you are an intermediate or above skier, as your technique is good you may get away without being fit.

If you are a beginner you will use a lot more energy to ski and some fitness will be a big help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Babalons

k123456 wrote: »
    If you are an intermediate or above skier, as your technique is good you may get away without being fit.

If you are a beginner you will use a lot more energy to ski and some fitness will be a big help

Id agree with this for sure. I went snowboarding with a group last year and one lady, who was a bit overweight, found it very difficult to get up onto the board.

She changed to Skiing after a day and had a blast as she found getting up and started much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

T-rev wrote: »
    Going in Feb, am not that fit. Dont go to the gym or anything. Will I be tortured from skiing for a week?

Remember it is a holiday, u can do as much or as little skiing as you like.
    How fit or unfit you are isnt really a issue . go and enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

yeah suppose. altho with the amount of hangovers ill have fittness will prob not even come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

T-rev wrote: »
    yeah suppose. altho with the amount of hangovers ill have fittness will prob not even come into it.
    . . Thats the spirit :D . and hangover wont be so bad either, the fresh air . . a couple of runs down the mountain . . and a few gluvines/beers/jager bombs & you wont notice the hangover, mind you . .you wont notice the skiing either :D
    enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭magic roundabou

like said before the fitter you are the more you will enjoy it - less "rubber " legs at the end of the day ,
    even if you do some squats / lunges at home they will help a lot
    Just be prepared to be in a lot of pain and very tierd but it will be sooooo worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just back from a great week in Saalbach. (boo) I wasn't as fit or as strong as I would usually be this year - a combo of two colds in Dec & the ice outside, so I couldn't go running. I REALLY felt it - I had to leave school after lunch on Monday as I was burning from knee to hip and literally screaming from the pain on the way down. From Tuesday onwards I was fine, but I would have preferred to have been fitter.

Never again shall I go without being at top condition! You enjoy it MUCH more, you can do a run in one go without stopping and it all seems effortless. You're tired enough from the mental drinking and apres ski, without not being physically fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

You will enjoy skiing much more if you are fit.
    I concentrated on spinning,uphill running,body weight squats and i really noticed the difference in my endurance .Most resorts are above 1800/2000 metres so the air is thinner and its harder to breathe so the more aerobically fit you are the longer you'll be able to stay on teh slopes.Get your leg mucles fit and strong although i dont think you can mimick the actual practise of boarding skiing in a gym

Advertisement