Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eye-fi cards

• 11-01-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a fantastic new camera - Nikon SJ1000, the one with the built in project :D - from Santa, and have really gotten back in to taking pics since.

I was thinking about getting an eye-fi card, that uploads your pics to a nominated web page once you are within range of either your own network or an open wifi spot.

Anyone any experience of these, do they do what it says on the tin? Also, where would be best/cheapest place to buy?

I'm also looking for a second battery for the camera, is there any particular website that is recommended for batteries?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I saw these on sale in the Apple store. In the US only though.

I'd love to know where I can get one of these shipped to ireland. Look very handy for straight upload

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Hi Swingking, I saw these on amazon.co.uk, they ain't cheap but they certainly make uploading a cinch.

Plus, heard that a girl got her camera stolen somewhere in the States, had a wifi card in it and get this - was able to show the police a photo of who had stolen her camera as the eejits took pics of each other and the pics were uploaded straight to her webpage :D:D Brilliant!

There are a few options, so posting here to check if anyone has one or not, and would they recommend etc.

Reckon you're talking about approx 80 euro for a 4gb share, delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I think I remember reading these were quite harsh on the battery power...Could be wrong though,A great Idea none the less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

The OH has one. I seem to remember him giving out about something alright. I'll ask him later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

With the upload speeds we have here I'd imagine anything I took today would be uploaded in time for next Christmas. Handy for sending directly to PC or laptop though. Worth investigating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Valentia wrote: »
    With the upload speeds we have here I'd imagine anything I took today would be uploaded in time for next Christmas. Handy for sending directly to PC or laptop though. Worth investigating.

I did think about that,When I was on a 128kbps upload I'd rarely upload full res images,Now I'm on a 1mbps upload I'd still reduce some down..

As most people would be on standard connections,Unless they're in a city,Uploading 30 3mb photo could take an hour or more..Unless there's an option to resize them when you first program the card..

hmm, worth considering alright. I'd probably be fine using my home connection as its approx 4mbs & usually reasonably stable. However, would like to know more about what happens if you leave a wifi spot and only half the photos are uploaded etc.
    Wonder does it start again at the next spot or have enough cop on to just start from where it last stopped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

I've seed them in action on tv and they look REALLY slow... Like 2 mins to transfer a pic!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

wouldnt be overly arsed with one, ya not post pro?

• Advertisement

Ok, asked him - he said the most frustrating thing is that the camera (his is a G9) doesn't know it's active when uploading so tends to switch itself off during upload. I'm sure there's a setting for that but its a bit of a pain. Also he thinks it'll only upload jpeg and not raw. And yeah it kills the battery. But otherwise its good. Even when your computer is off it'll upload to their website, and flickr (as private if wished)/facebook if you want. And you can pre-select the ones to upload and the ones not to using the 'protect' feature.

Oh and if it switches off or loses signal half way through an upload it does resume from the cut off point. And it only takes his a few seconds to upload a jpeg - obviously depending on signal.

So there :)

Thanks Sinead, good info there. Do you know where he purchased off, what website or did he pick one up in the States?

He got it through Amazon US as they weren't available in Europe at the time.

Advertisement