Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using dried herbs instead of fresh..OK?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, when a recipe calls for fresh herbs e.g. Thyme or Basil, is it OK to use the dried variety? I was looking through my cupboard yesterday, and half of the dried herbs I have are out of date...I tend to buy fresh if asked for and never use the dried.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I would avoid using dried herbs where fresh are specified. Dried herbs, basil for instance are really pungent in comparison to the fresh equivalent.

If I was stuck and hadn't the option for fresh, I would use a reduced amount of the dried herb but I've never been in this situation yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

If I buy fresh herbs like parsley/thyme and only use half of them, i chop them up finally and put them into an ice-tray with some water. Then the next time I need them I just pop out the ice cubes and throw them into the cottage pie or whatever. I do the same if my fresh herb plants are looking miserable...

Works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

If I buy fresh herbs like parsley/thyme and only use half of them, i chop them up finally and put them into an ice-tray with some water. Then the next time I need them I just pop out the ice cubes and throw them into the cottage pie or whatever. I do the same if my fresh herb plants are looking miserable...

Works for me!

That is an excellent idea...I will start to do the same. Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

http://www.gourmetgarden.com/
    I sometimes use gourmet garden herb tube thingies because they last a lot longer than fresh herbs and I have it in my head that they are better than dried herbs.

I've seen mixed reports on them on the internet. Anyone have any thoughts on them? Are they actually better than dried herbs?

Advertisement