Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

was reading through the thread as i havent been on in a while,
    i noticed that you calculated your days bets on the 10th as -0.5 but ive just done it der and i get -1.5 for the day..
    i dont usually work off points so not sertain am i correct..??;)

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Correct as always, Coughlan.

It'll be changed with the next update.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Good luck with the selection. I couldn't pick one out of that race. Thats probably a good thing though!

Reve De Nuit was one of my more fancied ones though, the others were Play it Sam and Shavansky.

Those were my 2nd and 3rd choices too! Not messing either. I just wasn't sure about Play It Sam over the extra distance and I'm not mad on Shavansky's jockey.

I think that's my only selection for the day, keeping my money for a weekend raid, hopefully! Could do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭colly54

x PyRo wrote: »
    Those were my 2nd and 3rd choices too! Not messing either. I just wasn't sure about Play It Sam over the extra distance and I'm not mad on Shavansky's jockey.

I think that's my only selection for the day, keeping my money for a weekend raid, hopefully! Could do with it.

What's your opinion on Shadows lengthen?

• Advertisement

colly54 wrote: »
    What's your opinion on Shadows lengthen?

On his day he could win it but he's a much better All Weather horse and this could be a fitness run out before a winter campaign on it for him, he doesn't really go well on the flat and he's 0 from 10. I'd avoid him but you never know! He certainly has the ability to get involved but the AW is his strong point. He could be rejuvenated after 3 months off and the slowish ground may well help too, I couldn't confidently say he'll run well or badly as he's a mixed bag. Nice price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭colly54

On his day he could win it but he's a much better All Weather horse and this could be a fitness run out before a winter campaign on it for him, he doesn't really go well on the flat and he's 0 from 10. I'd avoid him but you never know! He certainly has the ability to get involved but the AW is his strong point. He could be rejuvenated after 3 months off and the slowish ground may well help too, I couldn't confidently say he'll run well or badly as he's a mixed bag. Nice price though.

He has won me money in the past so im going to stick a small e/w stake on him :D

He's not the best but he got a claimer to win by a nose at Kempton last night. Gave it a great ride, she was hanging to the right almost the whole way down the straight. Best horse in the race but wasn't an easy ride

Won me plenty when he won 6 in a row at Southwell! Good luck with the bet Colly, not too much though. :p

Damn, I'm going to have to go in now...provided what happened at Ascot hasn't left its mark (Ascot form annoys me anyway), Shavansky has got to be better than a 14/1 shot. Pintura has come out and run well on his next 3 starts and Nationalism is better than his Cambridgeshire effort

• Advertisement

Talked yourself into it? :pac: I hate when that happens but sometimes pays off.

Good luck with it dude, I just can't catch that jockey right at all.

Quick one for the Cesarewitch on Saturday.

(Saturday) 3:40 Newmarket - Plymouth Rock - 1pt e/w @ 50/1 (Ladbrokes)

4 places paid, reasoning to follow on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭almat1981

4:10 Nottingham - Reve De Nuit - 1pt e/w @ 9/1

Went with oratory . Thought it was a close race and it had a good chance . Reve de nuit was my second choice . Dam it thought you weren't gonna pick one today but should have waited. Ah well best of luck . Here's hopeing it gets you back to winning way's at least.

Very poor there.

Some good races to get stuck into tomorrow but I can't buy a winner at the moment.

Bank - 377.66pts (+277.66pts)

I feel a good run coming soon, it's fecking long overdue. 15 losers in a row, the majority well backed and the majority running like donkeys. Bad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Moffo

They'll come good again Pyro..keep the faith

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Amigomenor

Pyro the winner will flow again. You show a good level of discipline and that is to your advantage.Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭whitts

Quick one for the Cesarewitch on Saturday.

(Saturday) 3:40 Newmarket - Plymouth Rock - 1pt e/w @ 50/1 (Ladbrokes)

4 places paid, reasoning to follow on the day.

pyro, if you go into paddypower now to place that they will just tell you they have now odds until saturday?. so if i was to place it wat odds do u end up with if it does come in???...
    bit of a bad spell i c, hopefully ya will get back to your usual ways soon!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

whitts wrote: »
    pyro, if you go into paddypower now to place that they will just tell you they have now odds until saturday?. so if i was to place it wat odds do u end up with if it does come in???...
    bit of a bad spell i c, hopefully ya will get back to your usual ways soon!:D

pp had odds of 33/1 this morning for plymouth rock.Its under" future racing" online

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭whitts

pelliven wrote: »
    pp had odds of 33/1 this morning for plymouth rock.Its under" future racing" online

i dont have an a/c...?.. do u think they will give odds in a shop then?.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

I presume that anything that can be backed online can also be done in the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Make sure they have gone Non Runner-No Bet just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Yes they will have prices in store on it. Go to the computer and look at 'future racing' otherwise just ask at the desk and they'll tell you.

3:30 Newmarket - The Cheka - 1pt e/w @ 20/1 (StanJames)

Lightly raced 4 year old who is yet to prove he's up to a task like this but if handling a 3 month absence and putting his best foot forwards I certainly think he has the talent and scope for improvement to take this race. He has only had 7 starts to date in a stop-start career, he won on debut, came 2nd to Sri Putra in a Group 3 next time out and wasn't seen for a year. He came out and won on his reappearance in a decent conditions race over 7f and didn't re-emerge until 2010. Regardless, that proved he doesn't mind a break and after 3 months off he could prove as good as ever. When coming back this year he was beaten twice by Paco Boy, once at G1 level and once in a G2, only going down by 5.25 & 4.75 lengths respectively. He certainly has enough ability to win at this level and with the in-form William Buick in the saddle I see no reason why he shouldn't make his presence felt. Buick is in the form of his life and at the moment he's a big plus to any horse, he's aboard this fellow for the first time and with a likely strong gallop on offer I think Buick should be able to get a good sit in rear to run on late if the gaps open at the right times. In the past few days William has won on 5 of 15 rides (33%), including a number of highly impressive rides when looking short of room with nowhere to go. If that happens here today I feel there's no better man to get The Cheka out of trouble. Buick rides the course well and has an 18% strike rate on horses 4 years old and older, he rarely rides for Eve Johnson-Houghton and I find it interesting that she has booked him for this, when they team up they've an 11% strike rate.

The Cheka is versatile with regards to the ground so the good ground today should pose no problems, he has a grand draw in stall 15 of 15 and is being tried at this 1m 1f trip for the first time. I reckon it'll suit him perfectly and based on breeding it shouldn't hinder him. He should be suited to this galloping track and with a bit of luck in running I feel he will relish todays conditions and run on in the final couple of furlongs, if held up. Eve has obviously been very patient with him and she's usually very good at placing her horses in the right races, she obviously feels he needs the step up to this trip and hopefully he's out to get his head in front, his record fresh is good and I'm just hoping he's not in need of the run. She doesn't visit here too often having only ran horses at Newmarket on 16 occasions, winning twice. Hopefully she can add another win to that and prove her constant claims that this horse is very talented correct. I can't really understand how he's a 20/1 shot, I had him priced up as a 9/1 chance and either I'm completely wrong or the odd compliers are, hopefully the former. He has big place claims at a minimum and the price is far too tempting, he's worth a small bet and has a lot going for him if running to ability.

4:05 Newmarket - Eldalil - 1pt e/w @ 14/1 (StanJames)

I'm quite a fan of this 3 year old filly, I've backed her on a number of occasions and I reckon she has quite a lot more to show. She won 2nd time out over 7 furlongs when beating some decent sorts in a maiden. She was then jumped up to a mile and a half for the Group 2 Ribblesdale Stakes at Ascot. She was relatively un-fancied that day on rapidly quick ground but came 2nd, just finding the fast ground lover Hibaayeb too good. She was barely hit that day and cruised past the rest of the field, a very good field at that. She ran in the Group 1 Irish Oaks next time out, she never traveled throughout and possibly wasn't suited by the slow and soft ground. Eldalil didn't run well last time out when dropped to this level, I thought she was given a poor ride and kept too close to the leaders and with more reserved tactics she would of done a lot better. She should have a good chance of sitting in rear today, in the hope of running on late as she did at Ascot. She's not tried over 2f shorter and I reckon that could suit her even more, she'll relish these conditions and with no out and out pace I think she could prove to have the best turn of foot in the race and over this trip it should prove dangerous. The jockey booking of Tadhg O'Shea is a bit odd but he's a capable jockey on his day, doesn't have too many days though!

Eldalil is trained by the wonderful Michael Stoute, he has only had 1 winner so far this month but most of his horses have been running creditably and he was in good form in September. This is the only horse he runs here today and hopefully it'll change his recent fortunes. O'Shea doesn't ride too often for Stoute and has only won once from 27 rides. He gave Eldalil a good ride in the Ribblesdale and if enforcing a similar ride and tactics I think he could be a good jockey for her, he's without a winner this month too but this animal should be able to change that if she runs to her undoubted ability. I reckon she has a lot going for her, ground is ideal, trip should suit, the race should be run to suit and she'll enjoy the galloping nature of the track. If all goes well she should hopefully grab a place at least and possibly more. She has had the last 2 months off and has went well after a break too. Timepiece is the one to beat but she's hot and cold at times and is very poor odds at 2/1. I think she's certainly opposable at that price and if my selection turns up with a similar run to that of Ascot she'll push her all the way. 14/1 is far too big and I had her down as 5/1 second favourite, hopefully she'll justify my confidence but in a race like this she's only worth small each way stakes. She's still unexposed and open to more improvement, a Listed race is certainly not beyond her and she has the perfect mix of speed and stamina to be suited by this 10f test. Hopefully she'll show her true abilities today. Stoute also won this race last year, hopefully it's a good omen.

Short write up for this one.

5:15 Newmarket - Spirit Of Sharjah - 1pt e/w @ 50/1 (Bet365)

Another will he, won't he, sort of character. You never know what you'll get with this fellow but on his day he's a big threat to any horse and in a race resembling a lottery he's certainly worth a few pound. He has won at this course before and ran quite well here last twice, both of which were last year. He came 4th of 9 over a mile, just 1 length behind the 2nd placed Credit Swap (Cambridgeshire Winner). He was then 4 1/2 lengths behind Aldermoor in a decent handicap, he was quite one paced that day and done well to get within that distance of the winner. He tends to do well in big fields when on song and with a draw right down the center of the track he should be handily positioned to attack late on if he shows up. A mark of 98 is not beyond him and he has placed off this mark before, Adam Beschizza takes the ride and he has been on him for his last 3 runs. He takes off a valuable 5lbs and is a positive booking for any horse. The ground is no problem for my selection and it would be even better if it was riding a little quicker than Good come race time. With plenty of pace from the stalls beside him I think he should get a race run to suit and if getting some luck in running he may not be too far away. He has the speed to trouble the opposition and if everything clicks today he should be able to use that to his advantage. I think 50/1 is far too big, it would take me all day to price up this 30 runner field but with 5 places paid and 1/4 the odds for a place I think he's worth a small each way bet, in the hope that he finally gets his head in front in one of these big handicaps. You could make claims for every one of the field so I'm not even going to bother pointing out the dangers, this fellow has as good a chance as any, if putting his best foot forwards.

Now for the final one and the big one.

3:55 Cheltenham - Calgary Bay - 4pts @ 7/1 (Bet365)

On his day he'd beat the lot of these quite easily, in my opinion. The only problem is that he doesn't have enough "days" to prove his class. Sometimes he seems uninterested and half arsed about the job at hand, regardless of that, I think that every one of the opposition has things against them today and he looks the most likely winner with more things going in his favour than in comparison to the field. He is a 2 time course winner, ran well in the Gold Cup when last coming here, possibly unsuited by the softer ground against that calibre of opponents. He made a few jumping mistakes that day which cost him but he was out of his league, a class 2 handicap off a mark of 149 is not. He tends to throw in the odd sketchy jump but if on song today and avoiding these mistakes he has a massive chance in this grade. He has only run on 2 occasions this year, both in Grade 1 contests. Before those races he ran at Doncaster over half a furlong less than this trip in a good handicap, he ran off 142 and routed the field, won by an eased down 7 lengths. If he can replicate that run, he will win. He has run well on softer ground before but he gets Good ground here, bordering on Good to Firm. His record on Good or better reads : 2-1-2-2-4-1. He should also stay this 3m 110yd trip without problem and with impressive young jockey Hadden Frost on board I think he has a capable pilot to get him home in front.

Calgary Bay obviously enjoys the Cheltenham track and the only times he didn't perform to a good level here were in 3 Grade 1 contests. He did win a Grade 2 here over fences and a decent Novices hurdle. He has to overcome a 190 day absence but has ran well after a break before and with so much in his favour today I'm just hoping he's not in need of the run. There seems to be quite a lot of pace (if you could call it that over 3miles) in this race which could well pave the way for something to win from the back, Calgary Bay fits the bill perfectly for me, he should enjoy this test and go on to bigger and better things. His trainer, Henrietta Knight, says he's being aimed at the Grand National, possibly this year. If she has him in tip top shape he will take a lot of beating here, with a clear round and no mistakes I think he has the beating of all of these. He has top weight to contend with but he is the best horse in the race and all going well he should prove it, I just hope he's out to try. 7/1 looks very generous and he was 3/1 clear favourite in my books. Borderline maximum bet for me and I expect a big run from him today, he is a class act, when he wants to be.

I'd nearly advise everyone against backing any of these, such is my luck of late. I couldn't hit myself never mind a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Funny how you predicted a winner in the laying thread though, :pac:

Gonna throw the first 3 in an each way treble.

Just a small one though :o

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Funny how you predicted a winner in the laying thread though, :pac:

Yeah that was annoying. :mad: I also had a very hefty tricast in the previous lay to that.

Fuck my life!

:pac:

Good luck with the best dude, as crazy as it is. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Don't be beating yourself up X.

The gambler that the bookies are most afraid of in Europe is Patrick Veitch.

He is the guy on every single bookmaker's mind each and every day, as he is so well organised, has hundreds of people working for him placing bets around Europe in the different Bookmakers.

He hits the track with a clipboard, that has twenty mobiles velcro'd to it.

Yet, he has only around 70% profit on his outlay.

Anyone that is consistently following your selections to level stakes is well in profit.

If you were a bank, you'd have a queue outside your house with your profit margins :p

You'll come good again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement