Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXFISH1

now into 5.50 on bet365/willhill/p.power

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Ladbrokes still go 5's, price must of changed mid write up/after I got my bet on.

2:50 Haydock - Ballyfitz - 1pt e/w @ 33/1 (WillHill)

Now time for my crazy outsider of the day. He was highly progressive in staying hurdles, winning 4 of 7 starts over 3miles when hurdling, including a win over C&D from 23lbs lower. He improved again to win next time out when scoring by 3 lengths off a mark of 132 in a Listed contest at Cheltenham. He then went chasing after a couple of poor spins over hurdles, he looked a bright prospect including when beating Big Fella Thanks quite easily and running 2nd to What a Friend, let down by his jumping in the latter and that has been the story of his chasing career to date. He's a poor jumper over the larger obstacles but returns to hurdles now at a course he likes and with conditions likely to suit. He's only 4lbs higher than his last winning mark and although he has to contend with top weight and looks handicapped to the hilt, I do not think he's not without a chance here, even though it's hard to oppose the favourite, Grand Crus. 33/1 is absolutely huge though and I certainly think he's in with place claims, especially with 4 places paid.

Ballyfitz made his seasonal comeback last weekend, he was a well backed 17/2 shot over fences in a Grade 3 contest at Cheltenham, as usual his jumping let him down as there was such a rapid gallop set that he couldn't keep anywhere near. He really needs to race prominently to be at his most effective and there is a much better chance of this 10 year old getting his wish, the ground is also perfect for him and if he can contend with so much weight on his back he is not without a chance. David England takes the ride today, his only one at Haydock, he's a very good jockey in my opinion and usually does well for Twiston-Davies. They've a 16% strike rate together and the Twiston-Davies yard have been bang in form of late. Ballyfitz should strip much fitter for that run last weekend and he has often needed a run in the past so I expect we'll see a better horse today, he also has dealt well with short gaps between races before and that shouldn't be of bother to him either. He has an each way squeak at a price much to large, he loves conditions, he's 1 from 1 over hurdles here and he may get a race run to suit. I've him priced as an 18/1 shot, not a huge chance by any means but looks worth minimal each way stakes in the hope that reverting to hurdles once again will make him click.

Awful day to try and call anything, too many shorties look like 'good things'.

Going to leave it at that and hope one of them clicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

x PyRo wrote: »
    Awful day to try and call anything, too many shorties look like 'good things'.

Was thinking the same ..

Clerk's Choice & Master Minded look two of more solid shorties, double pays around 9/4.

A few of my thoughts...

I was going to lump on Zaynar in the 2:35 at Ascot, 6/4 is value in my book, big value. I just can't bring myself to back anything at that price nowadays.

Consigliere in the 3:10 caught my eye big time, priced around 9/1. Might back him tomorrow morning actually but not at the moment, the Nicholls and Hobbs horses are scaring me. Plus the fact that mine has top weight to contend with.

I wouldn't touch Master Minded with stolen money at that price, too risky given he may get an easy race after having a breathing OP in the summer and he hasn't won over this trip either, too risky.

Clerk's Choice looks a solid proposition if it doesn't get too soft, I still wouldn't be gone on the price but it's quite justified.

Am I Blue in the 1:30 looks a nice horse, currently around 8/1 or so, may make the frame but it's a tough race and too many with chances for me to get involved.

Going backwards in time yet again but Royal Collonges looks sure to make a good chaser, well bred to be one and Nicholls will have him ready to do the job first time out (over fences) I reckon. 11/4 wouldn't get me excited enough though and McCoy's mount scares me.

Gringo in the 1:15 at Haydock was another, ran a cracker at Listed level when way out of the handicap last time out but too short (3/1 mark) and can't put too much holes in the oppositions form.

Imperial Commander should and will win, 4/5 though, no thanks. What a Friend had a breathing OP and that could make him even better, still won't be good enough to beat IC though, I wouldn't think.

Fecker of a day, just going to watch all of them that caught my eye instead of backing. Not a day for people who usually avoid the market leaders.

• Advertisement

There has been a fair few large bets on Palypso De Creek, hopefully it's "good" money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Was thinking the same ..

Clerk's Choice & Master Minded look two of more solid shorties, double pays around 9/4.

Master minded is anything but a solid shortie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Can't go near Master Minded or Imperial Commander. I'm staying away from the shorties today. Backed New Zealand in the handicap that's bout it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Crowie13

2:20 Haydock - Palypso De Creek
    fell
    2:50 Haydock - Ballyfitz
    4th at 40/1

Nice one man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Ballyfitz finished 4th and at 40/1 cheers Pyro

• Advertisement

+6pts today.

Bank - 396.86pts (+296.86pts)

Palypso De Creek was travelling lovely when he fell, quite gutted about that. Backed in to 5/2 clear favourite too which makes it all the worse. I think he'd of given the winner a mighty run for his money if he stayed up, just not to be.

Ballyfitz looked well out of it with a mile left, luckily he stays on all day and plugged on for 4th, returning a massive 40/1, happy days!

12:35 Aintree - El Maintenant - 1pt e/w @ 14/1 (VC)

Risky selection here as the horses who are likely to do better in this race can't afford to make any jumping mistakes and this selection is prone to the odd one but on his day he's a very good jumper so I'm hoping everything could click today. He's a bold front runner who goes hell for leather into the majority of his jumps and shaped as if still in good form when coming 2nd last time out over 2m 4f at Carlisle. He handles all ground and will love the testing conditions here at a track that should suit his abilities, he ran reasonably well here when coming 5th of 11 in October of last year. In previous seasons he has needed a few runs before coming into his run but that 2nd place was only his 2nd run after making his return in October, he came 7th that day but was badly in need of the run but showed his true self next time out. He runs off a career high mark here but only has 10st 11lbs on his back with Campbell Giles taking the reins, he's a jockey I rate quite high and he's 2 from 4 when riding over fences at Aintree. He does really well when riding for Lucinda Russell, especially when on board her chasers. They've a 21% strike rate over fences with many more placing and a very impressive LSP of £25.62. The Russell yard aren't in great knick when it comes to winning but the majority of their horses have been running well and El Maintenant comes here having had 2 runs already so he should be flying fit and raring to go, whether he's good enough is another question but I think he has a lot in his favour here.

El Maintenant likes to run from the front but interestingly his last win was the result of being held up in mid-division, with so many front runners in the ranks here he may have to apply similar tactics. There's also a doubt over the 2m 6f trip as he didn't impress on his only try this far but reserved tactics could pay dividends in that respect. When he won after being held up he scooted home by 5 lengths off a mark of 113, he's 9lbs higher now but that run suggested there could well be more to come from this heavily raced 8 year old. He has had 40 career runs already, winning 5 and placing on a further 13 occasions. He has a lot going for him here with the ground being well in his favour and against many of the others so it's all down to how he jumps. The fences here are quite tough but if he gets a few good ones to start him off then I can see him running a cracker here. There's also 4 places being paid which further increases his chances of giving a return in what is a very trappy contest in which claims could be made for every runner in the field. At 14/1 I think he's a very good each way bet, just minimal stakes but I had him priced up as an 8/1 shot. It's a risky one, hence the low staking but he has good claims with much in his favour.

1:10 Aintree - Ramsden Boy - 2pts @ 10/1 (Ladbrokes)

This looks an absolute mammoth price for a horse who was so progressive over hurdles last term. He won his only 2 runs over hurdles, in April and May of this year, the latter of which came off a 7lb lower mark when winning by an easy 8 lengths despite a couple of jumping mistakes. He spent the majority of the 09/10 NH season over fences, in which he made little impact having been let down by his jumping on numerous occasions but he's highly progressive over hurdles and should prove much happier now back in this code. He handles all ground and the only worry is how he'll be first time out after a 7 month break but I don't think it should be a problem as he has run decently after a break before. He has a wonderful engine and finishes out his races very well, with a likely decent gallop I think he should be staying on as well as anything and the testing ground could well be ideal for him, he won his maiden hurdle race by 18l on similar ground when beating Frankie Figg without breaking sweat, that horse is running in the race before this one.

Ramsden Boy fell at the first when last seen over fences, he just never clicked over them and I think that has been factored into his price, wrongly, in my opinion. He's so much better over the smaller jumps and this 2m 4f trip is his optimum trip. He also has the benefit of Sam Twiston-Davies taking the ride and he's a wonderful man to have on board, he also takes off a valuable 3lb from his claim which leaves a riding weight of only 10st, that'll increase his chances very much so. He was fitted with a tongue tie for the first time when completing the first of his 2 wins over hurdles this year, that brought even more out of this well bred 9 year old and I still believe there could be even more to come from him if feeling no ill-effects from his fall when last out. The trainer has a good strike rate when bringing his horses to the UK from Ireland and the booking of young Twiston-Davies is very interesting to say the least, although he rides both of Wilson's horses at Aintree. The track should be perfect for Ramsden Boy and with ground causing no concern I'm expecting a big run from this fellow now that he's stepped up in grade. 10/1 looks an absolute gift and I'm playing small/medium win stakes as it's only 1/5 the odds for a place and I couldn't be bothered risking more money for little return. He has a good chance here and I think he'll run really well if coping with the lay off.

1:45 Aintree - I'moncloudnine - 1pt e/w @ 12/1 (Bet365)

From the bang in form Mulholland stable who have had 10 winners from their last 40 runners (25%), which is highly impressive. He's a 7 year old with a fine strike record over fences having notched up 5 wins from 13 attempts, only finishing outside the top 4 on 2 occasions. He's a fine jumper at the best of times and will need to give his all if he's to gain victory in this Listed contest. He was sent off a 6/1 shot when finishing well behind Meanus Dandy 2 weeks ago, although that was on rapid ground which doesn't suit my selection and he's 12lbs better off here on soft ground, I think he could well reverse that form if he gets his jumping spot on as that was one of the reasons he was so far off last time out. He loves testing conditions and is still potentially on an upward curve having had 2 relatively decent runs since coming back from a break. He's a course winner having scored here over 1f less than the trip he faces today, that was his only run here and the course clearly suited him as he hacked up by 17 lengths in Good to Soft ground, he's even better with softer ground and he gets that here today.

I'moncloudnine is tactically versatile and can be held up or ridden to lead, there's quite a few front runners here and I can't see him racing too handily, which will be a plus as I'd prefer to see him held up over this 3m 2f trip. He should improve for having those 2 runs this season and with the in-form Dougie Costello in the saddle he has a lot going for him. Costello is riding out of his skin of late and has won aboard this fellow on 3 occasions from 7 rides, with 2 seconds. He rides the Aintree track brilliantly and has an excellent 18% strike rate here, that jumps up to 24% when it's over the Aintree fences, he also shows a nice LSP. With both jockey and trainer in such good form I'm expecting to see a lot more from this fellow now, he can change that form around with Meanus Dandy and gain victory here. He's a massive price at 12/1 and he's only an 8/1 shot in my book, which is a significant difference in such a tough race. Small each way stakes for this one and there's also 4 places being paid, which is another positive. Hopefully he'll run well here once again and continue his fine progression.

That's me done, good luck if anyone plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭almat1981

Backed them all today . Good luck .

12:35 Aintree - El Maintenant - 1pt e/w @ 14/1 (VC)

Like all good each way bets he came 1 away from the places. There was 4 places here and he came 5th. Jumped quite well throughout though and I'll be following him for the season, at least until he wins again. Looks like one who could win again off his current mark.

1:10 Aintree - Ramsden Boy - 2pts @ 10/1 (Ladbrokes)

Thank God I didn't go e/w on that one, he was either badly in need of the run or was just outclassed. Well supported before the off too so it could well be the latter.

All on I'moncloudnine who's being backed in the market too.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭johnny_cash

Hi pyro well done yesterday with the 40/1 good call.I seen where you were laying horses a while ago and you were doing well just wondering have you stoped laying now?I hope i'moncloudnine comes in for you.

I'll be doing it again soon, just haven't had any time of late at all.

I'moncloudnine was traveling best of all before Costello managed to fall off him, or jumped off!

He'd of taken a hell of beating if he stayed up, damn.

-6pts on the day.

Bank - 390.86pts (+290.86pts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭johnny_cash

Hard luck today i'moncloudnine was going really well untill the jockey somehow managed to fall off of him anyway you'll be back to winning ways again soon enough monterosso :D

Really stuck for time of late so haven't had the chance to go through the cards. I've had to look after our own horses so the sleeping pattern has been normal! I'll be back in full swing by Friday, one quick one for tomorrow.

2:40 Lingfield - Faithful Ruler - 2pts @ 11/2 (WillHill)

Has very solid claims here off lowest mark in quite a while, now 2lbs lower than last winning mark (on turf) and comes here in decent form having performed creditably last twice on very testing ground. The return to an AW surface should help, especially now that he's in a race where they could go a decent gallop. He's a very strong traveler who often flatters to deceive but could be right at home on this speedy Lingfield surface. He's not well drawn stats wise but considering he's a hold up horse, I don't think it should have any great effect at all. He has a new jockey on board in Phillip Makin, a jockey I rate very highly and he's a very interesting jockey booking for Richard Fahey. They've only teamed up once at this course and that ended up being a winner, if all goes to plan I reckon they'll make it 2 from 2 here with the only horse they pair up for today. This is a relatively tough race but plenty of horses come here either handicapped out of it or in bad form, I think that Faithful Ruler doesn't fall into either of those categories and can gain his first victory since September of 09, assuming they go a decent gallop. He has the ability to win this and the return to this surface could make him click, 11/2 looks generous and he's the 7/2 clear favourite in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Crowie13

Drifted to 8/1 before the off and only managed 4th. Thought it was travelling well coming around the bend but got blocked off and then ran on once it got the break. Not a great ride, thought the jockey could have done better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mookie2007

No bets today pyro.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Pyro was last seen in St Lucia tanning himself by the pool with a blonde Lindsay Lohan lookalike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Pyro was last seen in St Lucia tanning himself by the pool with a blonde Lindsay Lohan lookalike.

With his tipping accuracy, maybe it was Lindsay :p

I wish. :pac: Lindsay is some lady.

lindsay_lohan_1.jpg

Omnomnomnomnomnomnomnom.

I'll be back in action soon, the racing is so bad I just can't be bothered looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I wish. :pac: Lindsay is some lady.

lindsay_lohan_1.jpg

I'll be back in action soon, the racing is so bad I just can't be bothered looking at it.

Oh the state of that lampshade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

darsar wrote: »
    Oh the state of that lampshade.
    and the beds all messy as well she must have being rid.... well ya know what i mean

• Advertisement

No selection for the thread as I don't want to give anything without reasoning but I really fancy Shostakovich in the 2:25 Southwell. 7/4 still available in numerous places.

It's a shorty, which I don't usually like backing but the horse is 2/2 here, seems very progressive and could still be well handicapped based on what I think he can do. He was beaten at a short price last time out when running at Wolverhampton over this trip but he was trapped wide from a poor draw, probably lost at least 5 lengths because of that but flew after coming around the home turn. This is a decent little handicap by all means but the horse has enough room for improvement to ensure he'll run very well and he seems to have a mighty good turn of foot for a low grade handicapper. Definitely worth getting on at these prices but I wouldn't get involved once he shortens, which I believe he will, quite significantly too. Even money would be a fair price I think, the David Evans runner scares me though but not enough to put me off. Here's hoping, really big bet for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement