Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Hugh Taylor jinxed me with Final Verse.

I should of went e/w on the other but didn't.

@Rekop Dog : They lay me decent bets still, haven't limited my account in any way yet anyways. I do have to spread my bets out among different bookmakers though. I just post the best prices here for the thread records, Bet365 usually have the best price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

x PyRo wrote: »
    Hugh Taylor jinxed me with Final Verse.

I should of went e/w on the other but didn't.

@Rekop Dog : They lay me decent bets still, haven't limited my account in any way yet anyways. I do have to spread my bets out among different bookmakers though. I just post the best prices here for the thread records, Bet365 usually have the best price.

Meh, maybe they've improved, haven't used them in over a year but they always had a reputation for not liking winners!

Anyways had a browse back through the thread and it's obv you put in the hard grind needed to be successful, and I suppose doing it at an ungodly hour at least stops that pesky Hugh Taylor getting to the horses for value first especially on days with few meetings like today.

I've a mate who works for them so he keeps it sweet anyways. They are notorious for getting rid of anyone who has half a notion though, I'm just hoping they don't get rid of me anytime soon! They usually have the best prices for anything I'm backing.

Cheers, I went long enough as a losing punter so it had to change. Doing well this year, although the last couple of months have been relatively poor but the weather is hampering me big time. I find it much tougher to find winners on soft ground on the turf so October was shockingly hard, this AW crap isn't much better but I need something to do. Laying is brilliant at the moment though, much easier to find short priced losers when the quality of races is so bad. Can't wait for the NH to actually get a proper run of meetings, this fecking cold snap is awful. Thanks for your comments. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Meh, maybe they've improved, haven't used them in over a year but they always had a reputation for not liking winners!

They have more or less lost that reputation. Great bookies and willing to take a bet.

Great specials too:

Bets odds guaranteed
    SP+1 last Saturday
    4/1+ offer
    Match best odds on Saturdays from 10am onwards.

One of the first to open up a book too with some races priced up at 6pm the previous day.

Pity the rest aren't like them.

x PyRo wrote: »
    I've a mate who works for them so he keeps it sweet anyways.
    How does that work?? He must be very, very high up?

Pj! wrote: »
    How does that work?? He must be very, very high up?

He is high enough up but not a top dog by any means. Can't say too much else on here. I don't use them as much now as most of my betting has been on Betfair of late. I usually set an in running trade on my selections now to lock in profit, a fair few of mine end up trading quite short, even some of the longer priced ones, then they lose!

2:20 Lingfield - Big Bay - 1pt e/w @ 20/1 (Bet365)

Quite overpriced here, hasn't been in the best form of late but he's a pretty decent animal on his day and could well cause a shock here if running to his form of last autumn. Big Bay is now back to his last winning mark which was off 85, he has struggled since coming back in 2010, only managing to beat 6 horses home in 5 races, shocking form to say the least but he may just find things a lot more in his favour today. He shaped well for a long time last time out over 9 furlongs at Wolverhampton, he broke relatively poorly and ended up being held up, a tactic that I believe to hinder him. He was absolutely cruising for a while before being unlucky enough to run into a barging match with another horse, he then seemed to respond to pressure before being caught for room, another piece of bad luck. He was last going around the bend, ran on slightly to finish 9th of 12 but could be considered quite unlucky, although he wouldn't of won but would of been a lot closer than the 6.5 lengths he was beaten by.

Big Bay should find this race much more to his liking now back over a mile trip, he's also likely to get a quickly run race which should play into his hands as the likely stamina test that this should turn into will suit perfectly. The only worry I have is the young 7lb claimer on his back, he's not a good jockey in my opinion and this horse seems like a tricky sort but the 7lb claim leaves him running off 8st 7lbs, his lowest riding weight in quite some time. Lewis Walsh is the man on his back, he has had 3 rides for Jane Chapple-Hyam at Lingfield, resulting in 2 second places and one poor showing. I'm hoping it could be 4th time lucky for the pairing here with his only ride and her only runner of the day. The yard seem in good knick of late having had a couple of winners in recent weeks, they also have a good record at Lingfield, particularly with the older horse having seen 7 of their 33 4+ year olds winning here, that gives Chapple-Hyam a mightily good 21% strike rate. 8 of her last 10 runners here have placed at least, with one winning. Big Bay is drawn in stall 6 which isn't a bad place to be around here and with the likely pace coming from the lower numbers, I'm expecting he'll get a nice position for a late run. He is fully effective on polytrack having won and placed at Kempton, the even speedier nature of the Lingfield surface should be in his favour but with the extra harrowing due to weather conditions likely to ensure a good test of stamina I'm very interested how these two factors will see him perform. He has the ability to go well here and he's well handicapped, it's just a pity he's out of form but I believe he showed enough last time out to suggest he's still a good horse despite the result being poor on the face of it. Interestingly, Big Bay is now tried in cheekpieces having seen first time blinkers on last time out and now removed, which is a bit odd and slightly interesting. If it has a positive effect and can get him back to his form of this time last year then we could see a much better horse than we have done this year. He certainly has the turn of foot to do some damage here and if he can grab the lead in the last couple he'll be very hard to catch. Everything is to suit here and the only worry for me is the jockeys ability to ride a tricky horse, I'll take my chances at the 20/1 odds, he's only 8's in my book and not without a chance. Risky bet so only minimal each way stakes for me but he could prove to be a huge price after the race if he shows what he's capable of.

• Advertisement

He was awful today, last again. Terrible ride by the jockey too imo but the horse wasn't on the ball today anyways.

Might pass over him from now on, just seems to have lost his way big time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Horse was not in mood today or jockey never got him to respond, to finish that far off pace was very strange, it done same at sandown earlier in year, finsihed 45 or more lenghts off pace in a 7f race,
    its one of those horses that drive people mad, as it has showed it can win when in the mood,
    hard luck

2:20 Kempton - Love You Louis - 3pts @ 11/2 (Bet365)

Wide open contest where cases could be made for the majority of the field but I fancy one of the three joint favourites to claim victory. He's a fairly exposed 4 year old having had 33 career runs to date but comes here in flying form having won & placed over C&D on his last 2 runs. The first run resulted in victory with Richard Hughes taking the ride on one of the last days of his failed charge for the jockeys championship, he gave a wonderful front running ride to make all from a poor draw in stall 4, showing wonderful speed to win by just shy of 2 lengths. He then ran a few weeks later off a revised mark of 6lbs higher and was also upped in class. He ran a creditable 3rd having ended up in stall 1 which forced him to run wide on the bend, it took a while for him to pick up before running on again inside the final furlong to nab a clear 3rd. He has things much more favourable today having picked up a plum draw in stall 8 of 12, he's also the likely front runner of the higher drawn horses and I'm hoping he does indeed try and make all once again having proved so hard to catch when winning on his penultimate start. 5 furlongs at Kempton is notorious for favouring speedy front runners and he may well prove the beneficiary of this once again if the talented Eddie Ahern can take full advantage. Even if he doesn't get the out and out lead, he should have a nice sit alongside the leaders on the rail, the place considered to have the fasted ground at this track. There's also a nice short run in over this minimum trip at Kempton and that's why it's so favourable to those who race handy, he's the one who fits the bill perfectly.

Love You Louis may be considered a little high in the weights having to carry the burden of that 6lb penalty for his win here but he has also won another race over C&D from a 2lb higher mark when scoring by a relatively comfortable head off a mark of 75. That was in a higher class race in February of 2009 and he once again showed that bright pace after the home turn which proved him impossible to catch. He didn't handle the bend that day, nor did he looks to comfortable on it last time out and I believe that was due to his poor draw on both occasions which forced him to run on the outer, he should have it much more to favour today should they decide to take the inside route, assuming he can get ahead of the 4 higher drawn horses. He's from the Jim Jenkins yard who have had a few winners in recent weeks and seem to have their runners in good order, although they've 0 wins from the 37 times they've paired up with Eddie Ahern at Kempton, which is awful but I'm willing to pass that over on this occasion. Ahern is a top notch jockey in my opinion and should be an ideal partner for this speedy 4 year old. Love You Louis clearly loves it around here, his form over C&D reads : 1-3-6-1-3, hopefully followed by another '1'. He has a lot going for him and although it's a tough race I'd make him the 7/2 clear favourite, he's thriving at the moment and has a very good chance to gain his 3rd C&D victory at odds of 11/2, which seem generous. Medium sized bet for me and I'm expecting a good front running performance.

3:20 Kempton - Franco Is My Name - 5pts @ 10/3 (Bet365)

This fellow has an absolutely huge chance if following on from his run last time out where he won by an official margin of a neck, but that doesn't tell the whole story. He was held up in rear, as is traditional for him, he traveled through the race absolutely cantering along before being switched wide in the home straight. He picked up wonderfully to lead around 100 yards out and won a shade comfortably, even though his jockey lost his whip over a furlong out after giving him a little reminder. That was a fairly good race and I'm expecting him to follow up after the handicapper say fit to give him a considerably small rise in the weights of 3lbs. He's also one to follow up as he proved between Novermber of 09 and February of 2010 when he rattled up 4 wins in a row, winning most of the with relative ease. He's only 5lbs higher than the last of those wins which was a comfortable 1.75l defeat in a 14 runner class 5 event. He was then running off a mark of 85 but put in 7 average performances before coming back to form with a bang last time out to score off of 78 after being well punted throughout the day.

Franco Is My Name is a 2 time C&D winner so he will have no problems with the surface and with the likes of Kidlat in the race I'm expecting a very well run race, which suits my selection to perfection and really helps to ignite his perfect mix of speed and stamina. He's from the Peter Hedger stable who do quite well on the all weather of Kempton having seen 6 of their 39 runners gain victory, which gives them a respectable 15% strike rate. Kieren Fox takes the ride again having won on him first time up and he's a jockey I consider to be very talented, he's strong in a finish and takes off a valuable 3lbs from his claim. He wouldn't be a regular jockey for the yard having only ridden for them on 3 occasions and I reckon they feel he's full value for his 3lb claim, so I find it interesting that he's retained for this ride yet doesn't ride Hedgers other charge, whom he rode last time out. Franco Is My Name is still relatively unexposed having only seen the track on 15 occasions, I believe he could be open to a lot more progression and a mark of 81 may not be beyond him, especially giving how he performed last time out. He's certainly the one to beat and should rightfully go off favourite come race time. Amazingly he opened at 6/1 when the early prices were posted on Tuesday evening, at the moment he's now a 10/3 shot having had a nice few quid punted on him already. I expect this price will shorten even further and even though I wouldn't normally get involved having missed a price, I still feel he's exceptional value. He's the 6/4 clear favourite in my book, that's how highly I rate his chances here. It's a tough race by all means but it's all set up for him to run a massive race and he'll only carry 9st in weight due to Fox's claim. Maximum bet for me and I really feel that assuming he's out to try, he should win, but as we know, it doesn't always go that way. Hopefully it does here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I haven't looked at the form so I'm going on trust - gonna stick a fiver on Franco and try and pay for my lunch :P

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭stingerro

What a crazy race for Franco Is My Name to win! WOW! It can't get any closer than that :D
    Great call Pyro!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Ship it !! Good call!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Fair fecks Pyro B-)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Moffo

Good call Pyro :) well done

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mookie2007

Fair play Pyro. Cheers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Yipppeee, thanks Pyro :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

thanks pyro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nice one Pyro. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Crowie13

Good call on Franco is My Name and Love you Loius was only beaten by a gambled on bottom weight :D

• Advertisement

Cheers all. :) About time too. Kieren Fox made it much more difficult than it should of been, the horse was sent to the front way too early. Thankfully he just about held on.

Love You Louis ran a good race too, just found one too good. Got the price right, although there was non runners.

+13.67pts today.

Bank - 389.53pts (+289.53pts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Well done XP, was on the third in the place market, but great pick all the same.

See Fox took a helicopter to Kempton from riding earlier at Lingfield, you owe him a pint :p

Well done, 5pts bet too.

Cheers dude, Fox was great in the end but nearly threw it away. The horse shouldn't of been leading so far from home, you can even see that from the way he was holding his head, just didn't like it. Plus Fox made his move on the bend, which was odd I though. The horse usually runs wide after the home turn when he has won at Kempton but I suppose he was probably under instruction.

Instead of having to pour a pint over him, I now owe him one. :pac:

Anyone giving odds on what day Pyro hits that elusive 300pt profit? It keeps hovering so close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

always good to see a 5pt bet come off, good call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Just saw your tip this morning. PP app was acting up so I rang in my bet but the silly person on the phone didn't hear me correctly so put on a fraction of what I said. Had to ring them and explain. They played back the taped conversation and eventually I got the correct payout.

Nice one- this will pay for a good few pints the w/end :D

Cheers Argosy and glad to hear that Iggy, they're sly feckers!
    Anyone giving odds on what day Pyro hits that elusive 300pt profit? It keeps hovering so close.

I've reached it numerous times, probably 3 or 4 times now, I just can't stay above it. :(

Yep thats what I meant. Just worded it wrong lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Good call Pyro, had Kidlat e/w at 10's in the race, didn't think FIMN was as progressive as you did, thought the handicapper had just about got hold of him for the time being but alas he just about shaded it:)

• Advertisement

Cheers dude, he's still open to more progression imo. The move on the bend was madness, cost him a couple of lengths when combined with his dawdling out in front. He's still a few pounds well in I'd say.

Could notch another win when we see him again, assuming he doesn't have to take the bend 4 horses wide.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement