Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Great going :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mookie2007

Your class pyro. Well done an cheers:D

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Cheers for the comments lads, mean a lot. Glad to have a good day anyways, especially before tomorrow. Could of been so much sweeter if Barwell Bridge got some luck in the run in. I agree with HB that the fav was absolutely tanking along and would of won if he stayed up, not to be though.

Bank - 397.53pts (+297.53pts)

So damn close to the +300 mark again, just can't get there!

Roll on tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

x PyRo wrote: »
    Knowhere is off my radar now.

Midnight Chase is class, just pure class.

+12pts today.

Reckon Midnight Chase could be the next Imperial Commander? He shows the same love for the course as Imperial...gonna see what price I get for next seasons Gold Cup...

EDIT
    Oh wait hes 8 now isn't he....

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Moffo

Well done Pyro, not a bad days work at all at all.

Excuse my ignorance, i've heard this term a number of times 'off the bridle'.

What does it mean exactly when a Horse comes off the Bridle ?

• Advertisement

Moffo wrote: »

Off the Bridle

Nulty wrote: »
    Reckon Midnight Chase could be the next Imperial Commander? He shows the same love for the course as Imperial...gonna see what price I get for next seasons Gold Cup...

He could well be but I doubt he'll be as good. (Obviously I suppose!) Wouldn't overly fancy him for the GC but you never know, he's just so unbelievably well in the head. I've never seen a horse with such a good attitude. His jumping is class most of the time too, would love to see him run in a GC but he'd be caught out imo. So progressive though, I wouldn't write him out of any staying chase around here.
    Moffo wrote: »

Cheers Moffo, just seen Nulty covered it so I'll not. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Crowie13

Good man Pyro nice to see ur back, had bets on all ur selections today and had barwell bridge E/W so something in the account now to play with the weekend :D

Missed ur selections when u were off for awhile and it really hurt my bank so keep them coming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXFISH1

Well done today PyRo!

Cheers folks. Nice to have a good day for once! :)

11:40 Cheltenham - Fiendish Flame - 2pts @ 10/1 (Bet365)

Front runner who comes here on the back of a couple of good efforts after a 6 month lay off. He's a progressive chaser who has improved for his switch to the larger obstacles. In 8 runs he has won 3, came 2nd twice and 2rd twice. Only failing to come in the top 3 on 1 occasions when 3 consecutive poor jumps cost him the chance of landing the Jewson Novices' Chase at this course during the festival. I also think that trip of 2m 5f really stretched him and he'll be much more at home over this extended 2 mile trip on ground that is ideal. He looks handicapped to the hilt off a mark of 145 but I think there's still more to come and he posted a very impressive result last time out. It was only a 4 runner race at Bangor but he easily beat last years Gold Cup 6th, Calgary Bay, by a whopping 8 lengths when 5lbs 'wrong' at the weights. Although, that opponent was running over a 2m 2f trip that wouldn't be near ideal for him but Fiendish Flame was on soft ground, he's much better on the good ground that he'll get today and I reckon the result is a lot better than the bare dissection of the race would suggest.

Fiendish Flame has numerous jumping problems early on in his chasing career, often jumping right on left handed tracks and clattering fences when looking like a 'good thing'. He seems to have cut that out of late and I fancy we could see much more from this energetic 6 year old. He has raced twice at Cheltenham, once when coming 5th of 17 in a NHF race over 2 miles, that was his racetrack debut and he was running very well for a long way. The other was the aforementioned run in the Jewson. He made a few costly mistakes under pressure that day but hit 2.50 in running, looking like the likely winner for a long time. I believe he has improved significantly since then and having had 3 runs since October, he should strip much fitter and possibly show up even more effective than last time out. Calgary Bay is a very good yard stick in my opinion, even if he didn't have the speed for that trip, the way my selection spun away from him in a matter of strides was highly impressive. Trip is ideal and good ground is a must for this fellow, the way he took off on soft ground was impressive and I think he could be even more effective here. He's showing much more consistency with his jumping nowadays too, he was always good jumping but always managed to make the odd silly mistake, which has seemingly been cut out of his game. He'll face a tough battle to get into the lead but even if they go at breakneck speeds from the front, I would fancy him to run a good race. He's one of these tough and game front runners who keep plugging on even when under pressure and this is vital around here in a race of this nature. He also has the in-form and highly talented, Jason Maguire, on his back. He's his regular jockey and knows how to get a good tune out of him. Donald McCain is his trainer, his yard are in mighty good knick of late and despite having a poor record here, I'm willing to take a chance. Fiendish Flame has a mighty tough job here, he'll have to jump well, travel well and keep on well, but he's so progressive that I think he could do all of that and let his stamina kick in on the hill and ensure he'll fly away from the rest of the field. There is many dangers in the race so I'm not going to go through them but the 10/1 looks good value for this fellow, he's a 7/1 shot in my book which is a significantly lower price in a race of this nature. Small/medium stakes and hopefully a nice winner to start off the day.

• Advertisement

Cheers folks. Nice to have a good day for once! :)

11:40 Cheltenham - Fiendish Flame - 2pts @ 10/1 (Bet365)

I backed him last time when he beat Calgary Bay but its just too hard a race tomorrow. Hes got a good chance and I hope he runs well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

11:40 Cheltenham .

11.40am??

Sure that's middle of the night :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Early racing. I like to see it myself.

Tis madness. :( I'll have to stay up for the morning line, sleep for couple of hours, then back up again. Crap!

12:45 Cheltenham - Chicago Grey - 3pts @ 4/1 (Coral)

Very game horse who has shown a great attitude on many occasions and will certainly have to show it again here if he's to get the better of the favourite, Time For Rupert. I think he can do it if he feels no ill effects from his fall last time out when he was running on to possibly beat the potentially high class, Wayward Price, over this C&D. He was very unlucky not to go on to win but he went through the top of the 2nd last fence and came down in a heap on the other side, lucky to escape an awful injury. He's a very good jumper at the best of times and often travels very strongly throughout his races, which makes him very likely to be suited by the potentially fast gallop here. That run last time out was on good to soft ground, he handles all conditions but I believe the good ground he gets today is much more to his liking and could irk even more out of this constantly improving 7 year old.

Chicago Grey could still yet be aimed at the RSA Chase here at the festival today he'll get the chance to go up against that races current favourite. I think we could well see a relative shock as the Gordon Elliott trained horse clearly has enough potential to improve even more than he has shown already, despite being a 149 rated chaser as of this moment. His demolition of Picture This on his first appearance over the Cheltenham fences was mighty impressive despite making a number of silly mistakes. He won by 6 lengths on ground similar to that of what he'll face today and if he manages to put in a clear round then he'll be right at the business end of proceedings come the final couple of flights. The Elliott yard aren't in great form of late but that wouldn't put me off as they're a shrewd lot and form rarely matters too much with them. They're sure to have him firing on all cylinders in anticipation of this race and they do well at this course having had 6 winners and 7 seconds from 43 runners, a win rate of 14%. When Paul Carberry is on board here for them the form reads : 2-1-1-F-1-2. Impressive stats for an interesting pairing at this course. Carberry is a class jockey in my opinion and does really well for Elliott, with the pair striking up an overall strike rate of 22% after 44 winners from 202 runners. This is one of two rides for Carberry today and interestingly, he's not on board the other Elliott trained runner. Chicago Grey, assuming he has no ill effects from his fall, will be a tough proposition, even for a horse of Time For Rupert's ability and potential. I feel the 4/1 available is much too big, he's the 2/1 second favourite in my book and I reckon he could well go off a lot closer to that price than he is now. Medium stakes are the order of the day and I expect he'll make his presence felt once again, if he stays on his feet.

Tis madness. :( I'll have to stay up for the morning line, sleep for couple of hours, then back up again. Crap!

12:45 Cheltenham - Chicago Grey - 3pts @ 4/1 (Coral)

9/2 Ladbrokes

Oh and the morning line is pants

1:20 Cheltenham - Zaynar - 5pts @ 9/2 (WillHill)

I fancy the return to Cheltenham combined with the first time blinkers to see this impressive hurdler gain his first victory for 5 runs. He has 2 wins from 3 runs at Cheltenham, including when winning this race last year at odds of 1/5! He also won the Grade 1 Triumph Hurdle here back in '09 and his only defeat here was in this years Champion Hurdle, in which he finished a respectable 3rd behind Binocular. He went to Aintree after that race and only managed to come 3rd, 8 lengths behind the impressive winner, Kyber Kim. My selection ran very odd that day, constantly running in snatches before being outpaced in the last half mile, although he was also hampered in the race forcing the jockey to lose an iron briefly. I don't think that was a true reflection of his abilities and we'll see a lot more today.

Zaynar also has a run behind him now having made his seasonal reappearance at Ascot on the 20th of November in the Coral Hurdle. He was sent off a well backed 13/8 favourite but jumped slowly on occasion and ran very awkwardly throughout. I think the application of blinkers is very interesting, most people seem to see it as a negative but it could be exactly what he needs as he seems disinterested at times and these may perk him up back to the required amount of concentration that he needs to be competitive. He's a very classy horse on his day and I'm expecting he'll have a good season over hurdles, despite many writing him off already. He's from the Nicky Henderson stable, one I rate as absolute class and Nicky will be intent on getting this fellow back into the winners enclosure, I'm sure he'll have him in tip-top shape for this one and he may prove to have needed that reappearance run. He's the class horse of this race in my opinion and I fully expect a very bold showing. He's virtually assured a fast gallop which is needed to see him perform at his optimum and this extra furlong could also bring out more in the gallant grey. He'll have to overturn form with Karabak to win this but I think the Henderson trained animal is a different machine around Cheltenham and has previously defeated that opponent by 6 lengths when he was at the top of his game. The Nicholls runner, Celestial Halo, is also interesting now back over hurdles but his jumping was awful over the larger obstacles and his confidence may be shattered. He's now value at his current price, despite being the highest rated hurdler here. There are many other dangers but Zaynar is the best horse in this race in my opinion and I fully expect him to dispose of these with everything in his favour. He's the 2/1 miles clear favourite in my book and I'm using maximum stakes on him today. I rarely go the whole hog and launch into a 5 point bet but I really think this race is his to lose. All he needs is the blinkers to work in his favour and he'll prove very, very tough to beat. Here's hoping he does the business, he has the ability to rout these and there's no better place than Cheltenham to do it in.

1:55 Cheltenham - Gauvain - 2pts @ 7/1 (Bet365)

I'm opposing Master Minded here as he comes up way too short in my book and I'd be wanting a fair bit bigger than his current price of evens before I'd be getting involved. I'm going to side with a horse who was a shock winner last time out over just shy of this trip at this course on the 14th of November. He hadn't been seen since April of 09 when he won a Novice Chase over this C&D, winning impressively but not half as impressively as after his 18 month comeback, which was on debut for the wonderful Nick Williams yard. He was a decent hurdler and was progressive over fences but the way he demolished the field LTO was quite spectacular to say the least. He finished 4 lengths ahead of Forpadytheplaster, whom he raced against off level weights despite being rated 25lbs less than the horse who finished 2nd in this years Champion Chase. Quite amazing really but the way he done it was spectacular. He traveled well on the back of a good gallop, jumped supremely well and showed a nice turn of foot, barely having to break sweat to score at a whopping 16/1, he won the race like a 1/5 favourite, it was never in doubt.

Gauvain has won on his last 2 visits to Cheltenham and I think he has a decent squeak of making that 3 out of 3. He's highly progressive, unexposed and also speedy enough to cause the short priced favourite a lot of trouble. He can also match him in the jumping department based on his supreme leaps in that class 2 chase here in November. The funny thing is that I don't believe he's at his best after a short break, never mind an 18 month lay off. He's likely to come on from that and we could potentially have a Champion Chase winner on our hands if we continue to see him progress as one could now believe he will. I expect he'll reach a very high level and that could start with victory here. He has only run 10 times over fences, which isn't too often for an 8 year old, he has won on 5 of those occasions. The only thing I worry for here is the lack of a good gallop and we may see a slowly run race, which will not suit Gauvain. He will need it quickly run to ensure he won't have to get involved in a 'who has the quickest acceleration' battle in the final half mile, as if he does, he will lose. If he gets a good gallop going and builds up to nearing on his optimum speed then I think he can grind the field down and out-jump and out-battle the risky Master Minded. The change to the Evan Williams yard has clearly helped us to see this horse in a greater light and with that yard flying at the moment, I sense another big scalp being claimed here, to add to the Hennessy Gold Cup that will be on the mantle piece. The horses best form seems to be on softer ground but I think he's potentially a relatively fast ground horse and I'll be interested to see how he handles the likely Good ground. He has a great jockey on board too with Daryl Jacob taking the reins again, he got a top class tune out of the horse last time out too and hopefully similar tactics will be pursued as the waiting game worked perfectly, which was different to the horses norm as he's usually ridden prominently. 7/1 may look right given how many people think this is a formality for the favourite (even I did at one stage) but he's only a 9/2 shot in my book and the most logical opposition for anyone wanting to try and get Master Minded beaten. Small/medium stake out of hope and belief more than anything, I don't think the Nicholls star is as good as he once was and I do think the Williams horse is an up and coming potential star. Here's hoping he runs to his ability, because he has a hell of a lot.

2:30 Cheltenham - Matuhi - 1pt e/w @ 20/1 (Bet365)

Now time for my daily longshot. This fellow has proved a much reformed character since joining the David Pipe yard from Ben De Haan. It paid dividends first time up when he scored by 9 lengths in a 2m 3f chase at Ascot, making most to win comfortably. That was after a 6 month lay off and he's not usually one to go well fresh so I was highly encouraged by that effort, especially given his numerous laboured efforts after a break in times gone by. After gaining that easy win he then dropped back to 2m 1f to race at Newbury. He ran a gallant 2nd in the end, finishing in between 2 very well handicapped horses. I think that wasn't a true reflection of his abilities as he wasn't suited to the speed test that day over such a short trip and will relish the mix of speed and stamina tests over this 2m 5f trip at a course that I believe will be right up his street over fences, assuming he gets into a good rhythm. His tongue tie, recently fitted by new yard, has also seen him in a better light, I expect now with 2 seasonal runs and the added effect of that, should ensure that he'll be bang in contention here, despite being a massive price.

Matuhi comes here in the form of his life after looking something like the horse that beat the high class horse named The Package, before they became stable mates. That's a mighty good yard stick as he's now rated as a 147 horse, 14lbs higher than my pick. They raced on level weights that day too. My selection has the ability to be much better than a 133 horse and although people would assume he's handicapped to the hilt running off 135 (2lbs out of H'cap), I do not. I think he's progressive enough to be open to significant improvement and the fact that he'll be carrying a featherweight of 10st should certainly help his chances against quality opposition. He's also getting to run on good ground for the first time in a while and that's ideal, much better than when he runs on soft ground despite his numerous good performances on soft or good to soft. He has a good bit to find for a 22l defeat by Dave's Dream in 09, but he had numerous excuses in my opinion and there's a massive 17lb shift here, plus the fact that both horses have improved significantly. This should be a cracking race and I think a shock winner could be on the cards. He has a great jockey in Tom Scudamore on board and his trainer should have him well drilled for this, I also think the bigger field could be in his favour and help to settle him as he often runs as free as the wind. The yard was going well last month for a long time too and they've a decent record over fences at Cheltenham and won this race in '07 with a 22/1 outsider. Hopefully lightening strikes twice, it may not but the 20/1 available is huge, he's a 12/1 shot in my book and fine each way value currently. Minimum each way stakes but he's not without a chance if some of the market principles blow up!

Final selection..

3:05 Cheltenham - Clerk's Choice - 3pts @ 14/1 (Coral)

I may be absolutely throwing my money away here and people will think I'm mental but I really believe this classy animal was beaten by the ground last time out and will go on to fulfill all the hype and promise that his penultimate run suggested he would. Had he of won last time out then he wouldn't be much more than 5/1 here, and that's the price I believe to represent his true chances. I'd even go as far as saying he has a better chance than Menorah does. His only run at Cheltenham was indeed on that penultimate start in which he blitzed a decent field by 21 lengths, beating a well regarded Nicholls runner on similar ground to that of what he will encounter here today, ground that is absolutely ideal for this talented hurdler. Barizan was the 3rd horse home in that race too and he's a might good yard stick in terms of form reading, although he was very rusty that day but had things to suit, yet he set it up perfectly for my selection and I feel another shock win could be on the cards for the Michael Banks trained 4 year old. This is by far his toughest assignment today and the odds compliers and experts give him little, if any, chance of beating the well hyped trio of market leaders. He showed in that race over half a furlong less then he gets here that he is a smooth traveler with a rapid turn of foot, 2 of the 3 market principles pull very hard and find it tough to settle, he will not have such problems here. He'll love the ground and the 2m 1f trip will be no problem as there's likely to be a good pace set by Nicene Creed who seems to have been entered to be a pace setter for his stable mate, Menorah.

That entry may actually favour Clerk's Choice more so than his own horse as I think this horse needs to travel through his races on the back of a good gallop, something he's nearly assured of getting in this race. He's also a wonderful jumper at speed and absolutely pings the majority of his fences and proved he can jump at rapid speed when Barizan went off in his traditional bat out of hell speeds when they met at this course in October. My selection usually needs a run so he really sprung a surprise when scoring that day and really disappointed when coming 4th last time out, behind Barizan, which is very odd given how he trounced him previously and leads me to believe it was totally ground related and not due to a lack of ability on the horses part. He didn't travel or jump with his usual authority and looked a shadow of the horse who sprouted wings only 4 weeks previous. I'm not giving up on him here and I think the handicappers rating of 159 could prove to be right, that was a massive 31lbs for that win here in October, testament to the visual impression he gave on the day, it was stunning. He's rated the same as Silviniaco Conti and gets 4lbs in weight from him, he's on level weights with Cue Card and only rated 1lb less by the handicapper, and rated 3lbs less than Menorah and on level weights with him too but I believe that one could struggle after having such a tough race in the Greatwood Hurdle here last month. It's going to be a very exciting contest but I'm going completely against the run of play here and backing the Bank horse, he has the potential, the class and the ability to be a top hurdler and I think he has been written off too quick. The ground beat him last time out and if he's beaten today it'll be by better horses, but he's never a 14/1 shot, not in a million years. Medium sized bet for me and I'm surprisingly optimistic that I could well be collecting after this race. Hopefully!

Nulty wrote: »
    Oh and the morning line is pants

OUT! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm a big fan of Chicago Grey,he was the winner last time out definitely if he hadn't fallen. A horse who has won around Cheltenham before is a big plus. Favourite really is a big danger though,hope he comes through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Huge fan of Chicago Grey aswell will be backing him, good luck today Pyro. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

i lumped on clerks choice last time out thinking he only had to
    jump around to collect
    hopefully it was the ground and 12s looks a great each way price
    backed him today ew and only after seeing it here
    hope its a good omen
    thanks to a night of booze i missed master minded so im gutted about that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Clerks ran a good race but Menorah still remains unbeaten at Cheltenham...what a win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

i thought clerks choice had it in the bag, then menorah came out of camera shot , to take it up ,
    i wanted clerk to win

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

shocked i didnt get at least a place the way it was travelling 2 out:(

Oh lord, not a day for opposing favourites. That's my excuse. :o

Bank - 380.53pts (+280.53pts)

No selections for today, as of yet anyways.
    Also, sorry for anyone who lost money on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

with regards losing money on saturday..... im sure most people were well up from friday anyway hahahah :D

• Advertisement

1:25 Southwell - Silaah - 3pts @ 6/1 (WillHill)

Tough race to solve, especially with Dandy Nicholls having 3 runners in the field but I believe this fellow has the best chance of winning and looks on paper to be Dandy's first choice, especially with his son Adrian on board. Silaah comes here in good form having 3rd in a competitive 7 runner handicap last time out off a mark of 84. He has been dropped a pound for the run which will come in handy and has a much better jockey on now too. The official distance of his defeat was 6.25 lengths, but that doesn't tell the whole story as he took up the running over 2 furlongs out and hung very badly left as a result. He chance was blown once he got to the front so early as he tends to run around under pressure and I think that won't happen again, especially with a more experienced jockey on board. That race was over this C&D and the track was riding very slow, which certainly wouldn't help my selection. Todays conditions should be perfect and I'm expecting he could build on what was his first run at the Southwell track.

I also believe that racing so prominently didn't help this fellow, he got into a battle for the lead and came out all the worse for it. I'm hoping that Silaah will be dropped in behind the likely strong pace which I expect to be made by his stable mate, Sir Geoffrey. They're drawn right beside each other and are right down the middle of the track, which is said to have a severe bias, with the majority of winners at this course often coming home down the center. My selection should be suited significantly by his positioning and should be coming home as strongly as anything with a likely strong gallop pretty much ensured with so many speed merchants in the race. Silaah has proved in the past that this is when he's most effective and he nearly grabbed victory on the 30th of November in a claimer when coming back from a 50 day break. He was unfavoured at the weights yet ran within a neck of Ebraam, who has since dotted up in another claimer. In a handicap my selection would of been in receipt of 7lbs but was carrying 5lbs more on these terms, and that doesn't even include the winners jockeys 7lb claim. A repeat of that performance would see the inform Dandy Nicholls horse gain victory here. I think Silaah would be worthy of a 3/1 price tag, and I think he's the one to beat here. Normally this would be max bet territory for me but the fact that Dandy has 2 other runners does worry me so I'm going to place medium stakes at what is a mightily large price given that everything is likely to suit. 6/1 is a gift and I'll be surprised if it lasts. Jockey bang in form, trainer in form, and success very likely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement