Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭eliza64

Happy Christmas PyRo

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Thank you and the same to yourselves. :)

Hopefully there's still some time for a few winners between now and new years! The weather is doing its best to scupper that though, it's a disaster.

I hope you all have a good day and get lots of presents. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Think its time you adjusted your system to the cartoon racing Pyro.
    It seems to be the only thing thats happening these days :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Happy Christmas Pyro and don't worry you will be back on top form soon. :)

Cheers guys. :) With the donkeys I've put up lately I'd be better off backing in cartoon races! Really struggled since October onwards but hopefully that'll change soon. I really do need the flat back, that's my forté. All we can do is live in hope that things get better, hopefully there's loads of winners for everyone in 2011. We're all due some luck, apart from Coughlan. :pac:

• Advertisement

I just had the best present yet... Martin Lane said 'Happy Christmas' to me in a private chat on facebook. Probably mistaken me with the trainer who has the same name as me but it's still cool. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

We had Frankie Dettori round for dinner. Must have mistaken me for Sheikh Mohammed,suppose we all make mistakes.

To be fair to Frankie, I can see the similarities between yourself and the Sheikh.

I lawled

Yeeeah, racing time!

1:25 Leopardstown - Thegreatjohnbrowne - 5pts @ 10/3 (PaddyPower)

Nice looking 6 year old who has barely broken sweat in winning his first 2 chase outings, both coming at Punchestown. He's a wonderful jumper, who displayed 2 high class jumping exhibitions to win a very competitive maiden over 2m 4f and then successfully stepped up to Grade 3 company over 2m 6f, winning by an easy 7l on testing ground, that of which he'll face again here today. He was average at best over hurdles but has taken to fences so impressively that I believe there's many Graded wins to come from this fellow yet, and he should be very competitive in the better staying chases at Cheltenham in the future. He travels very well throughout his races and likes to make most of the running, usually resulting in the opposition being under pressure constantly, as he gains a lot of ground from his high class jumping alone. There seems to be a fair few potential front runners in this race but I think it'll be vital for him to get the lead and he could be left alone, which will be dangerous for the opposition and perfect for him. Paul Carberry takes the ride on him today, he was on board for the maiden success but not for the Graded win, Paul is a top jockey in my opinion and exactly who you'd want on board to get this fellow into the jumping rhythm needed to win a race of such quality.

Another key to the success of Thegreatjohnbrowne has been a wind operation in the summer. His trainer, Noel Meade, seems to think it has been the key to unlocking the door and I tend to think this too, as he never looked like a potentially top class chaser when he was running over hurdles, he looks potentially top class now. The wind operations tend to work first time up and see little effect thereafter but he followed up in equally effective fashion second time up, I expect he should notch up the hat-trick and continue his progression to bigger things in the near future. The 3m trip should also be a plus as he seems to have the speed and stamina to suit the extended distance. All in all, he has an absolutely wonderful chance of gaining his first of potentially many Grade 1 events, in what looks a relatively weak race considering its status, in my opinion. Noel Meade has also won this on the last 2 occasions and really rates this fellow as top class, as do I. The second favourite, Chicago Grey, is a very good animal too but I don't think he'll be at his optimum when jumping under the likely pressure he'll face here and he tends to smash the odd fence every now and again, I certainly can't have him at 7/2 and wouldn't back him with stolen money, never mind my own. I'll stick with the progressive, stylish, classy and fluency of Noel Meade's charge to rout the field here. He certainly has the ability to do so and I think it's his race to lose. His current price is 10/3 with Powers, and 3/1 generally. I expect this will shorten significantly and I think he could justify being around the 7/4 mark on what he has already achieved. He's a rare maximum bet for me and one I expect to be collecting from assuming he jumps with his usual supremacy and gets his own way upfront. There's many more races to come from this fellow and I'll also be taking 25's with Powers for the RSA Chase at Cheltenham, a price that could come down significantly if he wins here, hopefully he actually goes for the race!

• Advertisement

12:35 Lingfield - Spinning Ridge - 2pts e/w @ 20/1 (VC)

A large priced selection here but one that warrants a lot of respect on these terms and has thrown up wins before on the back of seemingly terrible recent form. However, he's now back to a mark that he has been competitive off and has won from 2lbs higher. His last 2 runs were off the back of a 6 month break and he should strip much fitter for having had them. He came last on both occasions but has won twice after similar results and like most lower grade handicappers, usually picks and chooses what day he'll turn up on. His customary blinkers have returned having been fitted with cheekpieces on the last 2 occasions, yet another interesting move by his trainer, Ron Harris. I always keep an eye on Harris' results and although he hasn't had many winners of late, his charges have been running quite well, so I'm hoping this fellow is out to break the recent trend and actually win. He has went in at 50/1 and 12/1, so winning at decent prices isn't unknown and the drop to an awful class 6 contest could bring this 5 year old back to his optimum levels of performance.

The return to Lingfield would be a positive for me too, he has run well here on a number of occasions and also won here over a mile, although off 13lbs lower, but he did place in a class 5 event over 1m here off 2lbs higher. His form at Lingfield reads ; 0-1-2-5-3. They're very good results for a horse who'd be considered very inconsistent and rarely runs so consistently at any track. 4 of those runs where over a mile and I think he's much better suited to running on the back of a slow pace, which should see the return to 7f work in his favour. He has a decent turn of foot, one which could cause bother in a field where many of the horses like to race from behind, Spinning Ridge does too on occasion but he's tactically versatile and has run very well from the front many times, it could pay dividends to race handy here. His draw in stall 9 is good too and he could get a chance to dictate the pace from that position, should David Probert choose to do so. Probert has ridden him on many occasion, including 2 of his wins and many other good performances. He's a jockey I really rate and he, like the horse, is prone to the odd big priced winner. Hopefully this happens again here today at odds of 20/1, which are absolutely massive in my opinion. He'd be no more than 10/1 in my book and I could make a case for his odds being even shorter than that. It's an awful race, wide open and very winnable. I believe that Spinning Ridge justifies pretty large each way stakes as he's most certainly the value bet of the race. I think he'll place at least, assuming he's out to try and actually turns up as he has done in the past. This may be a risk as he has blown up on many an occasion but I think it's one worth taking. There's a lot going for the horses here today and the price is simply too good to refuse. He should run well, really well if things go as I expect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Cant wait for the racing tomorrow:)

Me too. It's like going without a smoke for a couple of days. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

the last of my free moolah that i had in my betfair account is on this. let us pray

I'm sending this message from the church.

The lord is on our side.

stained_glass_blowjob.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Well Pyro, I don't normally touch the horses but do you think Joncol has a fair shout in the 2:35 in leopardstown? I saw a documentary on RTE last week about paul nolan's stable and he heaped praise on this horse.

He has a very good shout as he's a classy enough type but he jumps right and this is a left handed track, that's not good. Think I heard the yard are out of form too, too lazy to check! It's a mighty tough race and I'd want a bigger price before getting involved but he has the ability to win and will love the ground. If he jumps straight, he'll go very close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Sir Vival wrote: »
    I saw a documentary on RTE last week about paul nolan's stable and he heaped praise on this horse.
    That documentary was made in 2009 and the horse has ran four or five times since.

x PyRo wrote: »
    12:35 Lingfield - Spinning Ridge - 2pts e/w @ 20/1 (VC)

Went off 9/1 (10's in my book), good support for him near the off. Got the easy lead as expected but completely folded after taking a few lengths out of the field. Hit 2.3 in running and my lay clicked so I'm happy. Ended up 5th or 6th I think.

Edit : Came 8th. Pity he blew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

went with the great john browne and got 10/3
    also did mossy joe 11/2 and royal tune (ffos las) 4/1
    in doubles and trebles which i did last nite in case i slept out
    mossy now only 7/2 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Slept out the first one so a good lump on this one. Did a r/f with the steamer as well so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

x PyRo wrote: »
    He has a very good shout as he's a classy enough type but he jumps right and this is a left handed track, that's not good. Think I heard the yard are out of form too, too lazy to check! It's a mighty tough race and I'd want a bigger price before getting involved but he has the ability to win and will love the ground. If he jumps straight, he'll go very close.

Ah i'll stay away from it so. Really enjoyed the documentary (didn't realise it was so old, that's probably why it was on well after 12 o clock at night)

Thegreatjohnbrowne threw that away with constantly jumping right. The winner was beaten by him before, easily too. Very annoying to see him jump right handed throughout but that's how it's going lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

UL on thegreatjohnbrowne, very novicy run, clearly not used to going left but prob still the most talented of that bunch.

I think Joncol has a favourites chance FWIW, he's 4/4 on officially heavy ground and as seen this 3m takes some getting. The percieved poor form of the Nolan stable is rubbish as it's over a small sample due to the lack of racing recently! I'd price it at 10/3-7/2

I can't make a case for backing any horse in the Lexus today. Pandorama is the least exposed and would very begrudgingly get the nod from me. Joncol has a chance against this bunch,I thought at the start of the season he could be a GC horse,but good ground around a left handed track would worry me come March.

Cheers Rekop, very novicey to say the least, might avoid him going left from now on. Which rules out my ante-post bet if he continues to jump like that. It's so surprising considering his last 2 performances, where he jumped flawlessly.

Best of luck with Joncol if you're on, fecker of a race and I'm just backing Kempes e/w for the interest. Not a race I want to get in heavily on. Too open for my liking but having no luck in ones I think aren't so open!

Bank - 346.53pts (+246.53pts)

Things must change soon, getting some awful luck and picking out some poor horses of late. Hopefully 2011 bring back the old luck I used to get. I really miss the flat. :(

I've only small bets on these for the next 3 at Leopardstown.

2:00 - Rigour Back Bob
    2:35 - Kempes
    3:10 - See U Bob

Stakes not worth mentioning here but they'll all go well now that I haven't put much on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

yeah on e/w at 11/2. I'll eat my hat if he doesn't place at the very least!

Sir Vival wrote: »
    Ah i'll stay away from it so. Really enjoyed the documentary (didn't realise it was so old, that's probably why it was on well after 12 o clock at night)
    A brilliant documentary alright.
    There should be more like it.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1087697
    A link for anyone interested.

I've eaten many a hat! I thought Thegreatjohnbrowne was borderline bullet proof today, I was shocked to see him jumping right at nearly every fence, such a heartbreaker!

Best of luck with Joncol, I really like the horse and Nolan so hopefully he runs well. Such a beast of an animal. He wins on looks alone!

• Advertisement

To get back on topic, keep at it Pyro.

Losing runs all part of the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement