Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Fr Tierney

Well done. I got 7/2 earlier and watched in disbelief as it went out in the beting. My bookie pays best price so happy days. I thought it would be coming in in the beting like what usually happens your tips. But well done.

Keep em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Well done Pyro!! Great return to the log (in both ways)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,169 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play nice price

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

x PyRo wrote: »
    11/2 SP for Sea Moon? lololol, layers.
    Welcome Back Pyro!

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Cheers for all the comments lads, really appreciate it. :)

A more than pleasing return to action due to the brilliance of Sea Moon at York. The beautiful, long-striding colt landed the spoils in a most impressive fashion, eventually scoring by no less than 8 lengths. 7/2 looked a wonderful price last night and once he began to drift before the off, I couldn't believe my eyes. In the end, he eventually went off at 11/2, 7.8 on the exchange. Crazy stuff indeed. Regardless, he traveled supremely well throughout the race, took up proceedings on the bit, changed his legs, and flew away to a decisive, easy victory. The Leger and many more Group 1's await and he'll take a hell of a lot of beating against any opposition over 1m 4f upwards.

In the earlier race, both Shropshire and Mon Brav proved to be disappointing. The former was too free early on (possibly didn't like the ground) and not overly well positioned, whilst the latter was too slow over the extended 5 furlongs at a speed track. Both remain of interest and are capable of much, much better. We'll get them some day.

+12.50pts on an enjoyable day of racing.

2:00 York - Electric Qatar - 1pt e/w @ 20/1 (Bet365, 4 places)

The inclusion of a well-fancied Richard Hannon runner in this competitive contest leads me to go and look for some each-way value in those without any fancy form to their name. The one of most interest is Tom Dascombe's colt - Electric Qatar. This attractive looking 2 year old spurned great chances to win on his opening pair of outings, which despite being disappointing, leaves him well overpriced in an attempt to finally get off the mark.

The first of those outings was at Newcastle in June over 6 furlongs, the same trip that he faces today. Connections got stuck in as the Manor House Stable runner was backed as if defeat was out of the question, eventually going off as the 5/4 favourite of 16. Despite breaking a shade tardily, he moved kindly throughout and took up proceedings going quite well on the rain-softened ground. However, once asked to quicken by Richard Kingscote, he edged left onto the rail and began to flounder. The uphill finish at a stiff track may not be ideal for one who seems to have superior speed and in the end, he was caught by a couple of the opposition.

Electric Qatar may have failed to win that day but it was a fairly eye-catching debut and one he was expected to build on. Next time out, over the same trip on quicker ground over the galloping plains of Haydock, Tom Dascombe's charge lined out in a 3-runner affair. The lack of any sort of pace really caught him out (could of done with cover too) as under the hands of Jamie Spencer, he took a keen grip early and most certainly over-raced. Despite moving into the lead going well once again, his earlier exertions took their toll and he eventually came home in last place, beaten a length (second horse has run well at Group 2 level twice since).

Connections decided to step him back to 5 furlongs at Newbury last time out (in the Super Sprint), just over a month ago. This didn't prove to be a positive move as he was outpaced with relative ease in a contest that I wouldn't imagine was to his liking. He finished with a solid rattle though and came home 10th of 25, which wasn't a bad effort at all. The return to 6f will suit, the York track will most certainly suit and the dead-ish ground should pose no problems. I think he's more than capable of getting involved here if stall 1 doesn't go against him and with plenty of pace being towards the lower end of the draw, it really shouldn't.

Electric Qatar originally held Group 1 entries before he had even seen a racecourse, so that would give the impression that he's highly regarded at the Manor House Stables. Also, before he had run, he was the most selected horse in the stables "5 to follow" competition - another indication that he's well thought of, albeit a pointless one! The fact that he hadn't run until the end of June would lead me to believe that he may have taken a bit of time to come to hand, so with more experience under his belt, more improvement could well follow. It'll be a tough task to land the spoils but Tom Dascombe makes the journey to York with just one runner and jockey Richard Kingscote does likewise. I think they've a useful one on their hands and before too long, he'll be in the winners enclosure. 20/1 with 4 places being paid is worth a small go (25/1 available with 3 places) and this tank of an animal could be up to troubling the market principles if all goes well. Hopefully it will and small each-way stakes should do no harm.

• Advertisement

2:30 York - Shumoos - 3pts @ 11/2 (WillHill)

This is another type of race in which I don't like to punt, but Shumoos looks to be an outstanding price at 11/2 - despite tackling rivals who have beaten her before. I was on track at Haydock when Brian Meehan's 2 year old filly made her debut and to say that I was taken aback by what I had seen was an understatement. Over 5 furlongs on quick ground, this US bred $375,000 purchase showed a sublime turn of foot to land the spoils in what turned out to be a very useful looking maiden, simply down to how good the second placed animal has proved to be since.

That was none other than Royal Ascot winner Frederick Engels, a horse who has since went on to win a shade cosily at Group 2 level. He was no less than 4½ lengths behind my selection in the contest and although it's understandable that he wasn't at the peak of his abilities on only his second career outing, he routed a decent field in what you'd think would be a better race just a week later (put in a much better performance). For Brian Meehan's filly to put a horse of that calibre away in a matter of strides was breathtaking. All of this was achieved on debut and despite both going green to post and over-racing throughout the contest. It was surely the best 2 year old debut performance seen all year to date.

That led to Shumoos being deemed one of the "good-things" at Royal Ascot. She was sent off as the 6/5 favourite in the Group 2 Queen Mary Stakes, a race which contained many horses who re-oppose today. In the end, despite trying like a really determined animal, she found one too good in the shape of the Richard Hannon trained Best Terms (8/1 here). That runner is 3lbs worse off with my selection for a short-head victory and with an extra furlong and an easier track being in the favour of Brian Meehan's filly, the form can be turned over with relative ease, assuming she gets a bit of luck mid-run.

Connections lined up a tilt at the Cherry Hinton next time up. This was the first time that Shumoos tackled 6f and as connections had said after her defeat at Royal Ascot, it was expected to bring out further improvement. The overall impression I get is that the Newmarket July course just wasn't to her liking and despite traveling fairly well, she couldn't show that good turn of foot. It's quite possible that racing too keen for her own good contributed to it too but I've a feeling that she'll be much more at home now that she's returning to a track with more emphasis on raw speed. There's a risk that the slower ground today will blunt her finishing kick but I'll take my chances as slower ground didn't seem to be much of a hindrance last twice and the stiffer tracks are what I'd blame.

In the end, she was beaten 1½ lengths (came 3rd) by the impressive Gamilati, a 7/2 shot in this race. I think that animal enjoys the stamina test that Newmarket provides and could well get done for toe here, even though she looked most impressive last time out when belying odds of 14/1 to score readily. She's also 3lbs worse off with Shumoos and that - combined with the track - could be enough to help swing the form right around. There are a number of other dangers but with Brian Meehan's charge being freshened up on the back of a 6 week absence, I think she's more than capable of showing the old spark that made her look so impressive on debut. Settling mid-race and getting a pace to run at will be key, but 11/2 does look quite generous and I have her down as favourite in my own book. Medium sized stakes for me and hopefully she'll take a walk in the market before going on to score easily!

3:05 York - Vainglory - 1pt e/w @ 20/1 (WillHill, 4 places)

Plenty of things will have to go right to see Vainglory win for the first time since May of last year and although the best he may be able to hope for is a place, his odds seem much too big. David Simcock's 7 year old has run many sound races this year, usually finishing off well when all hope of landing the spoils have come and gone. He nearly got his head in-front when just denied by Leviathan (opposes, 2lbs worse off) over a stiff mile at Salisbury in June. It wasn't until the very last stride in which my selection for today's race was finally run down and although the winner probably deserved to land the spoils, the Simcock runner ran a very good race off the same mark as he runs off today.

Previous to that, Vainglory had run some cracking races in similarly hot handicaps, thus giving hope that he could be up to landing one of them some day soon (all handicap wins in small fields, even though big fields suit). He has form behind a couple of useful and progressive handicappers and today, I don't think there are too many of those types favoured by how things will be happening here (either poorly drawn or in need of quicker ground). I'm not really sure about how quick they'll go front the front here (doesn't seem to be a lot of pace) and although my selection would definitely want a solid pace to run at, I'll take a chance due to the odds. He also comes here in good form having made eye-catching late headway at Goodwood last time out, a race in which nothing went to plan.

Vainglory has some good form at the track, including when unlucky from a 4lb higher mark in this race last year (denied a run before staying on well). With a bit of luck mid-run and a good pace to chase after, he is more than capable of getting involved under the guidance of the last jockey to get him into the winners enclosure - Martin Lane. It's the first time in a while that Lane takes the ride on this exposed handicapper and although Laura Pike is a very talented 5lb claimer, I'm much happier to see more a experienced jockey in the saddle. If he has a positive effect on this fellow, his long losing run could come to an end, even though that's wishful thinking! At the very worst, he's capable of running into a place. Conditions should be grand, the track does suit and the race will hopefully be run right for him, so there should be no reason not to expect a big run. 20/1 looks a nice each-way price with 4 places being paid - but due to the risk involved in backing a horse like this, I'll only play minimal stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Electric Qatar (great name) is 28/1 on PP, fyi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

prospect wrote: »
    Electric Qatar (great name) is 28/1 on PP, fyi.

33/1 now 365

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Must have given you great pleasure that you tipped Sea Moon and pricewise abandoned it even though he tipped it up for the ledger. Good for the challenge anyway !

• Advertisement

Shite day, sorry lads.

Was surprised he left Sea Moon but then again he's not overly keen on tipping up the relative shorties as far as I can see. Pity, as I'd imagine Tom would of left his 1pt range for once!

No luck on the second day of the Ebor festival. It proved impossible to come from off the pace in the races ran over a mile or less. Straight away, that ruled out the chances of Electric Qatar - who was held up in rear and raced on the wide outside. I think he saw too much daylight anyways and wasn't racing on the best part of the track, so excuses are fairly easy to make for him. He plugged on to come home in mid-div but it was a poor effort given his obvious ability. He remains one to be interested in and perhaps quicker ground is a necessity.

Shumoos was subject to plenty of support, all of which was in vein. She over-raced early on as usual and came under the pump a lot earlier than I'd of expected. There were some slight traffic problems when she was fading but it had no effect on the end result. She's starting to become quite disappointing now, given that she looked like a world-beater when making her debut at Haydock. However, that was on fast ground and she hasn't encountered it since, so it could be a valid reason as to why that potent turn of foot seems to have disappeared completely. I'll back her again when she's getting quicker ground to run on and hopefully it'll do the trick - as today wasn't a true reflection of her abilities at all.

Vainglory ran yet another solid staying-on race in the big handicap that he tackled. Once again, it paid dividends to race handily and he done best of those to come home from the rear, by a long way in-fact. He didn't get the smoothest of passages either but Martin Lane was shoving along a fair way from home, so he did brilliantly to finish in 6th place. A stiffer mile may be what's needed nowadays but even if he gets that, he's a hard horse to win with and doesn't seem to want to put it all in until his chances of winning have gone. This rates as another solid effort though and he remains of interest - like them all I suppose!

-7.00pts on the day. Disappointing effort but them's the breaks.

2:00 York - Sharaayeen - 3pts @ 12/1 (StanJames)

Very competitive mile-and-a-half handicap in the offing here but Sharaayeen deserves yet another chance to gain his first win of his 4 year old campaign. If I tallied up the amount of money I've lost on this animal, it'd be quite sizable and although I should probably quit putting myself in for more punishment, I'm convinced that there's a big handicap in this fellow (and possibly more). The original plan for Barry Hills' relatively unexposed stayer was to have a crack at the big Ebor handicap on Saturday. He didn't get in and this will be his consolation race, one he's more than capable of winning at a track that should suit.

Being a relentless galloper, Sharaayeen does need things to fall his way mid-race in order to win. His recent races haven't exactly gone to plan (badly hampered last time out when moving well) but now that he has dropped 4lbs in the handicap to now run off 94, I feel he's very well-treated on some of his placed efforts off similar marks at Newmarket. I always thought he was a horse for the galloping tracks with stiff uphill finishes and although he probably is, this easy track on easier ground will be an adequate test, as it should help negate the fact that he lacks a potent turn of foot. Richard Hills being on board is a worry, as he has given this horse some modest rides - not least on his penultimate start at Haydock (had him completely unbalanced in closing stages, well-backed beforehand). He rides this track well though, so I'll overlook that negative yet again.

The opposition are no mugs but I've always thought of Sharaayeen as a potential lower-level Group horse plying his trade in handicaps. He previously held some lofty entries and connections seem to think a lot of him, also saying that he has a big handicap win in him and that he'll enjoy the hustle & bustle of the big fields. A solid pace to run at will be key (lack of pace in races done him previously this year - not least at Royal Ascot) and with 20 runners lining up here, I'm hopeful that he'll get exactly that. Plenty of solid handicappers line out in opposition today but I think he's one of the better treated animals and should be able to get off the mark before too long, especially on easier ground. Yard form is a slight worry (they're not going well at this meeting) but it was this time last year when he came alive and hopefully it'll be the same case again. 12/1 is a cracking price (non-BOG, can see price shortening) and I'll play medium win stakes on him. I should probably go each-way but I'll be greedy for once and put the whole stake on him to win. Hopefully he'll oblige.

3:05 York - Dux Scholar - 4pts @ 3/1 (WillHill)

10 runners are set to go to post in what should be a very entertaining race, with current favourite Dux Scholar being the one I really fancy to follow up on his decisive victory at Newbury last month. Sir Michael Stoute's 3 year old is an exceptionally talented colt and although he's yet to add Group success to his record just yet, there's a fair chance that he's up to contesting hotter contests than this. Today - I hope - is the day that he'll get a Group 3 victory to his name - something that he should already have achieved having lost a couple as a juvenile when looking a surefire winner.

Last time out, Dux Scholar took the step up to 1m 2f in his stride (previously unraced past a mile) when capturing a Listed contest in impressive style (beating some very useful types). Ryan Moore, who is injured and replaced by Richard Hughes, caught the field unaware with a storming run a few furlongs from home. He powered on to the line to gain a decisive success and his first in stakes races. Sir Michael Stoute is convinced that there's more to come and this 7-times raced colt is sure to improve again. The step back to just under 1m 1f at this York track will suit and ground conditions hold no fears, as he's best when being able to get his toe in a bit.

Green Destiny is an obvious threat, as his win in the John Smith's Cup over a furlong further at this track was quite taking. He has always been viewed as a Group horse running in handicaps and finally gets the chance to prove himself at a higher level. His run last time out can be completely written off - as track, trip and ground were all against him. I expect to see a big run for him but he'll prove to be a Group 3 horse and Dux Scholar is one I expect to go on and tackle Group 1 races - although whether he's going to prove to be quite up to that level is up for debate. I'm very hopeful though.

Dux Scholar is potentially very, very progressive and gets 7lbs from the previously mentioned animal and all of the older horses. That's a massive advantage for a well-developed 3 year old and with ideal conditions, he's sure to run a cracking race. The yard are in brilliant form and Richard Hughes is an ideal man to replace Moore. 3/1 isn't exactly a massive price to take in a race of this nature but if I'm correct about how good this animal is, it should prove to be exactly that. The lack of horses coming from off the pace yesterday does make this a risky proposition though, as many just couldn't seem to pick up in the ground. He moves wonderfully on this type of ground though, so I'm willing to take my chances that he'll find that extra gear when it's needed. Borderline max bet for me and it's one that I'm very hopeful will yield a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

i was just looking at the prices tomorrow just now and wondering
    if you were gonna tip this one up again
    fancied it also esp with the weight allowance but the 4pts
    makes me feel a whole lot better about it
    best of luck, must go awful close

Very keen on it mate but like with anything in racing, I could be very wrong. Don't think there's a better horse in the race though and would be surprised if the older horses have the beating of him giving away that weight. He really impressed my last time out, just hoping that he'll show the same sparkle again. If he does, he'll go really close at least. Fingers crossed and best of luck.

3:40 York - Margot Did - 1.50pts e/w @ 33/1 (StanJames)

The sprint division can often throw up some shocks and Margot Did could be capable of doing exactly that in this Group 1 contest. Michael Bell's 3 year old filly faces a very tough task here but since reverting to positive tactics over the minimum trip, she has looked potentially very useful indeed. She was a brilliant juvenile and was arguably unlucky not to have a couple of Group wins to her name, over a furlong further than what she tackles today. However, she has clearly trained on and wintered well - all of which was most evident in her pair of Listed wins so far this season.

The first of those wins came on soft ground at Sandown, a notoriously stiff track that obviously suits a filly who stays further than the trip. She came 5 lengths clear of a useful field (had a good draw mind, slightly flattered) and made up for a couple of unlucky runs since coming back for a new campaign, including one over this C&D (saddle slipped & hampered - should of won). The strict form of any of the races wouldn't exactly give Margot Did a big chance here but her ability is there for all to see and the nature of her strong travelling ways always give her a chance of further improvement. With a solid pace assured and ground to her liking, there's no reason that she can't run into a place if performing at the top of her game, although she will have to excel herself.

It's obvious that it'll take an amazing effort for a filly of her age to land the spoils here, it's just that I don't think this is a strong division at all and you're better off taking on the fancied horses as they can go off the boil so quickly. Hoof It looked most destructive when putting plenty of useful handicappers away in big field sprints this year, but that's exactly what those performances were. He's a big tank of a horse and carrying 10st to victory at Goodwood (off mark of 111) hasn't impressed me as much as it has others. Connections have always said that he's a Group horse in the making but to hop from a handicap to tackle some very talented individuals at the top level will be tough - thus making 3/1 look much too short. He could win but he's not unbeatable at all.

Masamah is another that's clearly going places and he has taken the step up from handicaps exceptionally well, winning Listed (C&D) and Group 2 contests since being tried at a higher level this year (won 6f Listed race last year). It doesn't seem as if he's completely ground dependent but he always looks better when getting genuinely fast ground, so to accept a price tag of 15/2 in a contest of this nature on relatively easy ground isn't something I'd be keen to do. He'll have things run to suit though and should be in the firing line come the business end of proceedings. I can see him fading out of contention when the going gets tough though and he's set a tough task here - unless the ground dries up significantly. Then he'd be the one I'd want to side with.

Plenty of others can come into the equation and I wouldn't be surprised to see Captain Dunne run a big race at fancy odds. Although he's another who seems to relish genuinely fast ground and may end up setting the race up for the fast-finishing animals. I'd imagine that we'll see Hayley Turner sitting right in behind the fast pace on board Margot Did and assuming she travels with her usual prowess, she should be in with some sort of a chance come the final furlong. She's well positioned in stall 11 and will gladly take a lead from the few potential front-runners who are likely to ensure this is a true test of both speed and stamina. She has both in abundance and could be capable of giving Miss Turner her second win at the highest level - the other was also achieved in a sprint.

Hayley is riding well of late and knows this filly well, often saying in the past that Margot Did is one of her favourite animals in the Michael Bell yard. The yard are also in cracking form (6 wins from last 16 runners) and this animal was said to have been most impressive in recent racecourse gallops, with this race being the target since she excelled herself at Sandown in June. It'll be an amazing performance if she's capable of landing the spoils here but stranger things have happened and with everything likely to be run to suit, 33/1 may prove to be much too big. This is more of a play based on the odds rather than a realistic chance, but she's got undoubted talent and is surely worth a small each-way bet. I can't see this price getting much bigger so I'll take the price with the non-BOG firm once again. Fingers crossed that she'll run a big race.

300,000 views on the thread now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Imagine how much money you've won for fellas at that rate!

Disappointing. Both given way too much to do, especially Dux. Ugh. We'll get him again.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOLOL!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

Pyro saves the day once again... Thank you sir!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Ha ha, you fukking pox! ;)

No ****in way! the one time i didnt get a chance to follow :(

GREAT STUFF!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Nice one pyro.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭CriticEyes

x PyRo wrote: »
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOLOL!!!!

GET IN THERE YOU RINGADINGTHING!! Get in!! Well done mate. You my man are a frickin genious!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Absolute beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my word. Best. day. ever.

Cheers men, buzzing in the extreme!

Don't ever leave us Pyro!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

was thinking to myself after the second race, ah well, not a great day but these things happen. Might check on the last race to see if i broke even maybe. Next thing the hands went up and a shout went out. Everyone at work looking over...

Great pick man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

Excellent, glad I was awake to get the big price thank you Pyro :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'm bouncing my head off the table right now, followed you on the first two... and went elsewhere on the third.

Well done lad, great stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement