Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Legend!

That is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Well done Pyro! Even better I backed it twice by mistake. Its been some week (and its not over yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

If I may make a suggestion.

Can we have more 33/1 winners and less 3/1 losers?

Thanks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I can't handle the jealousy, how did ya manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,169 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jesus it wont be long before you will have to have paid description to see this thread;)

Well done PyRo and anyone lucky to have backed it..

• Advertisement

That was savage picking, very well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

super picking to say the least
    only wished i followed you instead of hoof it :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Thank you all - who needs Tom Segal. :pac:

ONE+LOVE+FOR+ALL.bmp

*puts back to wall*

:-( Killjoy.

• Advertisement

Day 3 of the Ebor meeting provided me with what was possibly my best punting day ever. Margot Did - running in the Group 1 Nunthorpe - landed my 1.50pts each-way bet at 33/1 in most impressive style. She raced handily throughout and was still going best of all when some proven top-class animals were under pressure. In the end, she ran out a fairly comfortable winner under the more than capable guidance of now two-time Group 1 winning jockey Hayley Turner.

This was the 3 year old fillies greatest run by a long way and judging by the way she moved throughout, she could continue to be a force at the top level when getting things to suit. Connections have obviously found the key to unlock the door with her and it's great to see her threats to score at Group level finally come to fruition. +61.88pts from the bet and it was a great day at the office.

Sharaayeen done best of those held-up in a race favouring the prominent racers, eventually finishing in 5th place. He ran a solid race and will remain of interest in the future. I think he either needs 1m 4f on a stiff track or 1m 6f on an easier track - with cut in the ground being a necessity. He's very, very talented and will eventually get his day in the sun. Hopefully before too long, as I'm running out of patience having lost plenty of cash on him this season. It was a solid effort though and can be marked up quite a bit I feel - as things just didn't pan out in his favour.

Dux Scholar was also given too much to do and despite running on strongly, hadn't a hope of catching the couple who finishing in-front of him. There's going to be more to come from him and I think the return to the 1m 2f trip that he tackled on his penultimate start will help. Either that or a mile on a track with a stiff finish. He has speed galore and a fine turn of foot - but like the previous runner - a bit of cut in the ground will do no harm. It was a solid placed effort from him and he'll be back in the winners enclosure before too long, hopefully at Group level.

+54.88pts on a brilliant day. That takes the flat season profit to +212.08pts and things couldn't be going better. Long may it continue, as I've got to make sure that I've enough money to cope with all the losses that will come my way during the National Hunt season! Although stakes will be reduced dramatically during it. Woohoo!

2:00 York - Lechevalier Choisi - 1pt e/w @ 25/1 (Ladbrokes)

Taking a pretty wild punt here by backing Lechevalier Choisi to land the spoils in this 7 furlong Listed contest. His trainer, James McCabe, makes the journey from Ireland to run his stable star in what should prove to be a very good race. Quite how good this 3 year old colt could be is up for debate but his most recent outing - a 6 furlong Listed race at Fairyhouse - gives plenty of cause for optimism. In that race, this speedy animal stuck to the task well despite looking as if he'd drop out at one stage having show plenty of zip beforehand on the relatively stamina sapping track.

Lechevalier Choisi was only beaten by 1¼ lengths in the end (form well advertised since) and it represented a massive step up on previous form (rated 14lbs higher now) - most likely being down to the application of first time blinkers. Headgear is persisted with today but it's a visor that's on board and if that has the desired effect, we could see more from this progressive animal. The return to 7 furlongs should also suit, as he got the trip very well as a juvenile (on stiff tracks) and has obviously strengthened up and improved since.

I'm of the opinion that an easy 7 furlongs on ground with a bit of cut in it is exactly what Lechevalier Choisi is after and today is the first time that he'll get that. It's a big outside punt but the way the York track is riding seems to favour those racing up towards the pace, which he does well. His attitude is faultless and with the possibility of more improvement to come (relatively lightly-raced), 25/1 could look a big price after the race. Some disappointing and out-of-form Group performers line up here, so it'll be no mean feat to see this speedball land the spoils - but I doubt his small yard would bother making the journey if they didn't think he had some sort of chance. It's a bit of a shot in the dark but he's a nice price and could go well if the first-time visor - combined with the return to this trip - works the oracle. A small each-way bet will do no harm and hopefully he can get involved at the business end and run into a place at least.

2:30 York - Apache - 1.50pts e/w @ 12/1 (WillHill, 4 places)

It's not often that I entertain backing an Aidan O'Brien trained runner but Apache looks to have an ocean of potential and could bounce back to form having disappointed at Royal Ascot last time out. This beautifully bred 3 year old was sent off as the 4/1 joint-favourite in the King George V handicap and having got very lit up early on in the contest, he failed to perform to his abilities. Along with that, he was seriously hampered and stumbled badly a few furlongs from home, which obviously wasn't ideal. He was probably a spent force by then having pulled hard early but he was moving alright and could of performed a lot better, so I'm happy to write that effort off for a number of reasons.

Previous to that, Apache was a most impressive winner of a 1m 4f fast-ground maiden at Leopardstown just before he made the trip over to Ascot. In that race, he traveled sweetly, displayed a wonderful stride and put the race to bed in a matter of seconds under hands-and-heels riding. It was an expected win from a horse sent off as the 4/7 favourite and although he beat nothing particularly good, the visual impression he left is quite taking to say the least. If he can bounce back to the horse who performed so well that day and finds the improvement that's most certainly in him, 12/1 could look like a massive price after the race.

Apache holds a number of Group 1 entries, including both the English and Irish Leger's. It's probably fair to say that his future will lie over staying trips and this step up to 1m 6f does look like a smart move. The easy track should suit and with Ascot being a right-handed track, it's quite possible that going around the other way - like he did at Leopardstown - could make a difference. The softer ground shouldn't be an issue and with a likely strong pace to run at, I'd be hopeful that he will settle much better than he did last time out.

He's also fresh after a couple of months off the track and having had 3 runs in as many weeks, that may have taken its toll on him by the time he stepped out of maiden company to tackle some talented handicappers at Ascot. Today, he runs off a mark of 98 with Joesph O'Brien taking off 3lbs and that leaves him looking well-treated for sure. He's lightly-raced, open to a lot of progression and is clearly thought of as a much better horse than he's currently rated. 12/1 looks like a price worthy of snapping up and if he's back showing his previous sparkle, a finish in one of the four places would be the least I'd expect. Small each-way stakes though, as he clearly isn't one to trust based on his showing last time out. He's much better than that though, so the run can easily be forgiven. Of the rest, I could spend all night listing out dangers - it's a tricky race to solve but this fellow may provide the answer.

3:40 York - Sirvino - 1pt e/w @ 40/1 (Bet365, 5 places)

This is possibly one of the most confusing races I've ever tried to solve and although I probably should just leave it well alone, I'll take a punt on my old friend from the David Barron yard - the capable 6 year old, Sirvino. This tactically versatile animal remains unexposed over distances past 1m 2f, let alone over anything past a mile-and-a-half. Today, he tackles 1m 6f for only the second time in his 22-race career and having run a solid race over this exact trip last time out, I think he's capable of improving on that.

Sirvino lined out at Goodwood last time out in what was a decent race (not near as good as this mind). He didn't drop out of contention until the closing stages and I get the overall impression that the very fast ground on a tricky track like that caused him to feel the pinch - rather than his lack of staying prowess that seems to be questioned here. He traded at 2.2 in the run and really looked like he'd be a shoe-in to place in what was a messy race, although he could only manage a close up 4th in the end. It was a very solid effort though and he seems to have bounced back to his best having previously impressed at Windsor when cruising, literally, to a 7 length win off a 9lb lower mark. That rated as something close to a career-best run and if he's ever going to cause a massive shock in a race of this nature, it could be now.

The lack of any out-and-out pace leads me to believe that Sirvino may not need to have an excessive amount of stamina to run well here. He previously gained his best career win over 1m 2f at this course when landing the John Smith's Cup in '09 - a year in which he was the most progressive handicapper around, as he went from being rated 65 to running off 101 by the end of the season. He had always shaped as if he'd have no problems with longer trips than that over which he was racing and this was evident when - at the end of last season - he ran a cracking second over 1m 4f on very testing ground at the fairly stiff Ascot track. It seems as if he doesn't have the speed to cope with shorter trips nowadays and with extra time to get his 6 year old legs motoring at full tilt, he remains capable of defying his current mark when things go to plan.

An easy 1m 6f on relatively easy ground may not be beyond Sirvino at all and with both yard and horse being in great form of late, he will never have a better chance of running a big race against such talented opposition. It may well be a step too far - and it most likely is - but I'm more than happy to take a small each-way punt on him filling one of the 5 available places at a track where he goes well. This could be a messy affair, despite the large field, and those with proven speed for trip over less distance could prevail. Now that I've said that, something's bound to tear off and make it a true test of stamina! I still think that 40/1 is much too big and minimum stakes will do no harm. 50/1 is available with one firm but they're only paying 4 places, so I'll take the 5 places and hope the price drifts as it probably will. Hopefully he'll go well and the masterful Barron can add another big handicap to his resumé.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

May all 3 win and make you rich ;)

Just thanked you for all 3 selections, as I won't be online to thank you when they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Great run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Another great tip at a good price.:D

That will do for a start ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Thought we had that when he cut through the field . Good place though. Hope you did the e/w patent pyro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

So glad I found this thread today. Thanks pyro, you're a magician:D

• Advertisement

Cheers lads.

I was full sure Lechevalier had it when he didn't seem to be stopping. Massive bias towards those racing handy in the shorter races for some reason. Seems tough to get the pace to collapse. 33/1 place ain't too bad though. Plus he was very colty and acting up in the prelims - God knows how it would of went if he had of behaved. Could of sluiced up given how he ran in the end.

Apache would of won if he had of picked up the bit when he should of. Raced so free for well over a mile I'd say - just refused to settle. Happy enough with the place though as I'm shocked he managed to hit the front at one stage. Will be a very good animal once he learns to relax. Has a lovely, long stride and seems to stay well. Pity it didn't go to plan today.

8.25 point profit assured anyways - I can't complain for once! Would be nice if Sirvino could give me some sort of run.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Killed

Cheers, had an e/w trixie. Well done :D:D

Nice one Killed - good name too. :pac:

Pity none managed to win and Sirvino was disappointing but I'm happy out. Will update the stats soon and they're making for nice reading. Hopefully the people who think it's not possible to make money from simply backing things to win can get some enjoyment from it.

x PyRo wrote: »
    ............ Hopefully the people who think it's not possible to make money from simply backing things to win can get some enjoyment from it.

Don't think you'll find many of them perusing the gambling section of boards though :pac:

Great selections again today :cool:

Thanks P!!!

Managed to make a couple hundred today from your picks, and none of them won, impressive stuff.

Whatever it is your doing, keep doing it. Your making a lot of people happy.

Now off to the pub with myself to gloat about how I picked them out haha:D

I'l be having many double vodka and red bull in recognition of your sleepless nights!

RoverJames wrote: »
    Don't think you'll find many of them perusing the gambling section of boards though :pac:

Great selections again today :cool:

Probably not. I understand that the vast, vast majority of gamblers are losers but the amount who say it's not possible to win is nearly 100%. Even my father thought the same until he started following me religiously. :pac: Now he's a happy man!

Cheers dude.
    ft9 wrote: »
    Thanks P!!!

Managed to make a couple hundred today from your picks, and none of them won, impressive stuff.

Whatever it is your doing, keep doing it. Your making a lot of people happy.

Now off to the pub with myself to gloat about how I picked them out haha:D

I'l be having many double vodka and red bull in recognition of your sleepless nights!

Nice work man and thanks. Enjoy the drink! I'll be having a few myself, courtesy of good ol' Margot. What a babe!

Pity all of this will end when the NH season comes around. I've a gigantic edge on the bookies on the flat, just can't get to grips with the jumps yet. :( Maybe some day.

I think your as well of away from NH Pyro. In Ire anyway. At nothing without information, England I'm not so sure of, not as corrupt as Ireland.

Even with information its still tough, I could tell many a story about horses being pulled for bookies when gambles are on, but I don't think a public forum is the place for that.

What your doing is working well, NH best avoided in my eyes anyway.

Greed imo is the problem with a lot of gamblers, win or lose they go back for more.

Not calling you greedy or telling you what you should do, just my opinion, and what I've learnt, be happy with what you have and enjoy it.

I'm definitely better off keeping well away but there's a code there to be cracked too and I want to do it! If I could end up making all-year-round handy cash then I'd be away with it. I'll just go down to 10% of the stakes I'm using now and work at those stakes until I keep hitting more often.

The money I've made this flat season alone will keep me sweet for a good while yet anyways. It couldn't of went any better.

The flat is just so easy for me - all I have to do is be patient (especially during spells in which I post 49 losers in a row - although loads placed and didn't lose much during that period). I never back anything that isn't posted here, so my discipline is easy to keep.

For what it's worth, I'd never go near any Irish racing. It's crap anyways but the fact that it's so bent puts me off even more.

I just need to spot the previous "non-triers" over the jumps in Britain and keep following them until they eventually win - then I'll be happy out. I've a bit of a knack for spotting horses who may not of been putting it all in and when I back them, they're gambled on and lose. Inevitably, they go on and win at fancy prices next time out when I'm not on.

We'll see how she goes anyways, could be massively profitable for all I know! Doubt it though.

It's also piss easy to pick horses to lose, so I'll just keep laying different horses in other races to cover the potential losses from my win bets. Laying is free money imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

I have a question Pyro, How come your accounts are still open when your winnin so much from the bookies? :D

• Advertisement

The vast majority aren't any more. They were at the start.

I punt on Betfair all the time - the only reason I use bookie prices here is for posting up the night before and it's simple to keep track of records.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement