Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Stples

Been following you for a while now. Dont let a few losers get to you. Had 20 e/w on Aegean Destiny. :D . Keep up the good work.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DCUlad

Anyone gone for Here to Eternity? 12/1 PP at the minute !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

DCUlad wrote: »
    Anyone gone for Here to Eternity? 12/1 PP at the minute !
    ya i did only have 2euro in my account so it be a max bet of 1euro e/w

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sinjim

Kinda new here and new to racing but looked to me like when everyone else start hitting the horse with the whip, the bloke on here to eternity stopped hitting him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

tink he came 2nd last.not to worry there will be others;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Stopped whipping her because she was beat at that stage, which is what you want to see. No point giving a horse a hard race for no reason. There'll be other days with her.

Roll on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sinjim

x PyRo wrote: »
    Stopped whipping her because she was beat at that stage, which is what you want to see. No point giving a horse a hard race for no reason. There'll be other days with her.

Roll on tomorrow.

Ah i see, i taught they all had to whip all the horses as hard as they could for the rules about riding out the best finish ?(i looked it up) :)

Was exciting to be involved all the same :)
    Cant wait for the next one

sinjim wrote: »
    Ah i see, i taught they all had to whip all the horses as hard as they could for the rules about riding out the best finish ?(i looked it up) :)

Was exciting to be involved all the same :)
    Cant wait for the next one

They usually don't do that when they're beat thank God (it'd turn many a horse quite sour), plus the ones in contention are limited to the amount of times they can strike a horse in the closing stages. It doesn't hurt anyways, I smacked myself a few times with one of the whips they use and even I could barely feel it! Just makes a weird pop noise.

Welcome along to the game anyways but make sure you take it easy on the betting front until you know enough. Start picking out horses without putting money on and you'll find that the game is easier to learn then, and you'll get the same buzz from being right when they win or run well.

Watch videos, read peoples opinions and look at different forums where they're discussing racing - it'll help you find out things quicker. Takes a long, long time to learn about it though. I've still got loads to learn, which is why it's so enjoyable! Best of luck mate. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

They usually don't do that when they're beat thank God (it'd turn many a horse quite sour), plus the ones in contention are limited to the amount of times they can strike a horse in the closing stages. It doesn't hurt anyways, I smacked myself a few times with one of the whips they use and even I could barely feel it! Just makes a weird pop noise.

Welcome along to the game anyways but make sure you take it easy on the betting front until you know enough. Start picking out horses without putting money on and you'll find that the game is easier to learn then, and you'll get the same buzz from being right when they win or run well.

Watch videos, read peoples opinions and look at different forums where they're discussing racing - it'll help you find out things quicker. Takes a long, long time to learn about it though. I've still got loads to learn, which is why it's so enjoyable! Best of luck mate. :-)

Jaysus what goes on in Leitrim at all lads????:eek:

ft9 wrote: »
    Jaysus what goes on in Leitrim at all lads????:eek:

It's the Cavan women I tells ya. Durtay. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Haha those Blacklion beures

Poor effort on Tuesday. Here To Eternity disappointed by finishing out towards the rear having showed very little. It may just happen that she needs much faster ground and I'm convinced she has a lot more ability than her recent outings suggest. Maybe the straight tracks don't play into her hands either and I'll be on again when I think things are going to be more suitable. This race just didn't go to plan at all.

-2.00pts on the day.

2:00 Doncaster - Magic City - 2pts @ 8/1 (Bet365)

There's no getting away from the fact that Magic City has proved to be massively disappointing since producing one of the best debut juvenile performances seen this year. However, the step up to 7 furlongs is taken to suit Richard Hannon's talented 2 year old and I can't help but thinking that he could completely outclass this Nursery if he's on song. Today, the handicapper gives him a good chance by letting him run off a mark of 88, which is one that he ran above when scooting in on debut in what was a useful 5f contest.

It has proved to be a disappointing rise through the ranks for Magic City, as he hasn't managed to win any of his following 6 races - 3 of which he was sent off odds-on for. Regardless of that, his penultimate run when finishing ½-a-length behind West Leake Hare (6/1 here) over 6 furlongs at Newmarket was more than encouraging, especially as he was doing all of his best work late on at that stiff track. This easier track combined with an extra furlong could well unlock the door, assuming he manages to settle over this longer trip (can often race keenly). Connections have said that they've been teaching him to settle and with a good pace being likely, I'm hopeful that it won't be a problem.

Since then, Magic City finished in mid-div at York when tackling a very valuable sales race over 6f. He traveled fairly well under the guidance of Pat Dobbs (Richard Hughes back on board today) on that occasion but the track was favouring those racing handy and he could never land a blow from the rear. There's a good chance that this test will be much more to his liking and with the Hannon yard being in good form over the past while, it will be no surprise to see him bounce back to his best. This isn't the best of races and I'm finding myself discounting plenty of the rest quite easily (my selection is a class above if on song). Due to the overall profile of Magic City, I'm only going to play small win stakes as he's not one to trust, but he should get involved here if all goes well. Here's hoping it doesn't lash down with rain, as the likely decent ground is about as bad as he wants it. The faster it is, the better.

2:35 Doncaster - Eureka - 2pts @ 9/2 (WillHill)

Hopefully it'll be a good day for Richard Hannon as I'm also backing Eureka, another one of his impressive 2 year olds. This animal - a £20,000 purchase as a yearling - took little time to get used to this game having opened his account first time up in a useful 6 furlong Nottingham maiden, belying odds of 16/1 in the process. The second placed horse - Burwaaz - has went on to frank the form by running well at Royal Ascot (4th in G2 Norfolk Stakes) before finishing in the places at G3 & G2 level last twice. The third - Caledonian Spring - landed a Listed race in impressive style last time out, although that was over a mile. I'm not one that pay much attention to form being franked but it looked a decent maiden at the time and the front three - who were separated by a nose and a short-head - are clearly very useful animals.

Eureka improved on that form when upped in grade to tackle a conditions race at the stiff Salisbury track, also over 6f. He traveled exceptionally well once again and took over the running well over a furlong out. However, the eventual runner-up came with a strong looking challenge and once he got to within ½-a-length of the Hannon colt inside the final furlong, Eureka took off again to score by over 2 lengths under the guidance of Pat Dobbs (again, Richard Hughes is back on board). It was a very impressive performance and was that of an animal who would surely go onto contest Group races in time. The form of that race is average but the visual impression was more than enough to justify the high rating that he got for that win.

Connections decided to step Eureka back to 5 furlongs in an attempt to land the Weatherby's Super Sprint at Newbury. He was sent off as a well-backed 4/1 joint-favourite in the extremely competitive 25-runner race. However, playing up in the paddock and being reluctant to load may have take its toll on such an inexperienced animal and he didn't run to his best, although he was a fast-finishing 5th place in the end, just 2½ lengths off the pace - shaping as if a return to 6f was needed. It was a good effort when all things are considered. He then returned to 6f to contest the Group 2 Richmond Stakes at Goodwood, a race in which Richard Hughes deserted him to take the ride on his stablemate - even-money favourite and eventual winner - Harbour Watch (who looks pure class).

Eureka finished a good 5 lengths behind that one and I'm not convinced that the awkward track was to his liking. He was much too easily outpaced for a horse of his ability and I'm willing to overlook the run. Today, he tackles a 5-runner race and I'm surprised that he's not a shorter price - even though some impressive and more unexposed animals line up in opposition. Apart from Gold City, the rest haven't proven much at all and even though the likely favourite - Michael Bell's one-time-raced Alaskan Bullet - is well thought of, I just couldn't take 7/4 based on his debut run alone. Richard Hannon's colt has a lot more to give, steps back down in grade and returns to a more suitable track. He could be the class horse of the race if his stubborn ways don't cause havoc once again, but I'm willing to take the risk at a price of 9/2. He'd be a 5/2 shot if I was pricing up the race but again, it's a risky race to punt in and small win stakes are all I'll play. Hopefully he'll go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Two Hannon/Hughes combos for tomorrow, I'm liking!:D

Fingers crossed dude. :-)

3:10 Doncaster - Dinkum Diamond - 2pts @ 6/1 (PaddyPower)

3 year old's have filled the runners-up spot in this 5 furlong Listed contest in the past couple years and I'm hopeful that they'll go one better this year, with the winner hopefully being Dinkum Diamond. Henry Candy's charge was a top-notch juvenile last year and got within a ¼-length of the exceptionally speedy Richard Hannon trained Zebedee over this C&D in the Group 2 Flying Childers. I had thought that this fellow would make the grade at Group level this year but all he has to his name so far is a conditions race win, achieved on his penultimate start (July) over the minimum trip at Newmarket.

Dinkum Diamond stepped back into this grade eleven days ago when coming up against a few of these at Beverley and although he ran a solid race to finish a ½-length 3rd of 10, I think he's a much, much better animal than that. The soft ground on that occasion wasn't ideal - although he does handle it - and today's quicker ground is in his favour. Whether or not he wants a stiffer test at this trip is up for debate but he will get a solid pace to run at and that's what he needs - plus we know he goes at the track based on that fine G2 performance last year (in which I feel he was unlucky not to win).

Duchess Dora finished a neck ahead of Henry Candy's charge at Beverley and although she's clearly thriving of late, a stiffer track would help her cause in a race of this nature. She's a 6/1 shot also and that looks a bit too short for my liking, plus she seems to move a lot better on a softer surface. I wouldn't rule her out at all but I expect to see the form turned around at the same time. Medicean Man is another on a steep upward curve but with all of his recent impressive form coming at Ascot, I'm keen to take him on as he's away from that venue now, plus 4/1 looks short. Others come into the equation but the 6/1 price-tag about the speedy Dinkum Diamond is couple of points too big. He'll get his conditions, a race run to suit and his yard are in good form of late (2 of last 5 have won). Small wins stakes again, as it's not the sort of race I like to get heavily involved in.

4:50 Doncaster - Shesastar - 3pts @ 11/2 (VC)

My favourite trainer, David Barron, is brilliant at getting horses like Shesastar to continue on progressing up through the ranks and he looks to have found another winnable opportunity for his lightly-raced 3 year old filly. This fairly cheap purchase has won 3 of her opening 9 career starts and 2 of her 5 so far this season. She's yet to follow up on a win with another victory but I'm hopeful she can buck the trend here on what is only her second start over 7 furlongs. Jamie Spencer - 2 from 2 on board her - is booked again and it seems like it's all systems go in a bid to land this £12k prize.

Shesastar scored comfortably in a very competitive 17-runner handicap at York last time out on what was her first outing over 7f. The York track was favouring those racing on the pace and under a well-judged waiting ride from Jamie Spencer, the Barron trained filly was able to make up plenty of ground from off the pace before going on to score by 1½ lengths, with the second being a nice way clear of the rest. That form looks quite good (her effort can be marked up IMO) and although she's up 7lbs in the ratings and taking on better animals, I feel there's still plenty more to come from an animal who's still clearly on the upgrade.

It's also good to see that Shesastar goes well at this course, as she has won 2 of her 3 outings when coming here, placing on the other occasion. All of those came over 6f and she's now 23lbs higher than the first of those - testament to her progression. The general consensus is that she's better on a slower surface but anything around the good ground mark should suit over this trip and with a good pace to run at being very likely, everything should be run to favour her. Spencer is riding well of late, Barron's horses are going well and this horse is still going the right way, so I feel that she's a nice bit of value at 11/2 and should give me a good run for my money at the very least. Medium win stakes and hopefully she'll go well. Of the rest, Bryan Smart's progressive Roninski may be worth a quid or two each-way at 12/1, as he's another who's overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Dinkum Diamond would be my pick in that race but it's too close to have a bet. Break a leg Pyface

Richard Hughes, you're a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Where'd he finish? i got paid for a place on Boyles

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

What happened? I know he came 3rd...had him backed e/w thanks to you.

• Advertisement

That's more like it Richard. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Nice one Pyro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Nice one with Eureka...had him too. Well done!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Nice one.

I've followed you with all 4 so here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

I'm following you on all these but going each way on them so at the moment I am borderline in love with you Pyro :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DCUlad

Nice one, had Dinkum Diamond for a place !

Sometimes I hate racing, and finishing second. Ahhhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Were ya tempted at all by Taurus twins in the 5.20 at Doncaster? I think I remember him doing well for you before

Nah, wouldn't be keen on him at all mate. I've backed him twice, at 8/1 and 16/1, and he won both times! Lovely horse! :pac:

Might need the run after a couple of months off and he won't be able to dominate that field. Even if he gets to the front he'll be hassled and harried throughout. He's 33/1 though, so I wouldn't put you off and each-way bet but I won't be on anyways.

• Advertisement

Richard Hughes...........

I didn't see the race but I can only imagine, he's that sort of jockey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement