Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Wow! Happy Morning Pyro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

WTF it's eleven o'clock

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

haha, knew there'd be some smart ones. :p

Might have more to come yet.

x PyRo wrote: »
    haha, knew there'd be some smart ones. :p

Might have more to come yet.

Haw haw haw,he he he,I'm the gayest christmas tree

3:50 Catterick - Klynch - 2pts @ 25/1 (StanJames)

Taking another second string on my side here and this time it's Ruth Carr's Klynch - a talented 5 year old who thrived this season when winning 4 times between May and June. Overall, he improved from a rating of 57 to achieve his last race victory by 4½ lengths off a mark of 76 (soft ground, 6f at Ayr). He's obviously found things a lot tougher since being hit hard by the handicapper but in his 8 races since, he has run 3 exceptional races of a mark of 85 - thus showing that today's rating of 84 isn't insurmountable at all.

Ruth Carr isn't exactly banging the winners in over the past few months (only 5 since August) but plenty are still running well (a lot better than the stable were going this time last year) and hopefully the useful Klynch could manage another victory here. This fellow actually hasn't won in 5 tries beyond 6f but today's soft ground over 7f at a very sharp could bring out the best in him and staying the trip isn't an issue.

Klynch is a real soft ground animal (despite having won on quicker) and today's conditions are spot on. He's also taking a drop back in grade and given how well he ran in tougher contests off a similar mark in the past few months, I can't understand the extremely large price. There seems to be a lot of pace on here, which should suit James Sullivan's charge if he's patient on him and hopefully the pair will still have some sort of chance if it collapses. 25/1 is just too big and I'll have another small/medium win bet on a horse who is well-positioned in stall 4.

Edit : 25's with SJ just popped up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Clockmaker forecasted at 33s now into 11s! Few euro each way on him, hope he has a nice run, good luck!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :D Lovely. Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

x PyRo wrote: »
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :D Lovely. Yes.

Respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Great pick and great ride by Mr. Gibbons i owe you both a pint after that ! Nice one !

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Nice run (and pick!), followed you on that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Some man for one man, had very little on it, but fairplay, great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

schweet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Ah feckin legend!

That'll pay for the weekends partying almost.

Cheers everyone. :)

Just watched it, didn't expect him to make the running but glad he did given how everything went. Won handily in the end. Happy out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Mr Gibbons now had the last three winners. Congrats Pyro:cool:

Didn't even hear Klynch mentioned on the radio but apparently he was up there for 5f and faded. Didn't want him leading with so much pace in the race but I haven't seen how it went yet. After 16 starts this year he may well have had enough.

Ah well, can't be greedy. Happy out for a change. Makes going through tomorrow's cards a lot easier.

Cheers for the messages lads. That actually brought the seasons tally to a high-point of +240pts. :)

Well done,I thought you were on something else for some reason

One up for the Pyro 'Morning Line'.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickey1979

crap did not see this

Feck, was hoping people wouldn't of missed him. :(

Spent a fair while going through tomorrow's cards but going to get to sleep early (:eek:) and hop up in the morning (should be finished by 10-ish) to post them. Morning time might be a lucky omen for me!

• Advertisement

Lol. Youve just fcked up the sleeping pattern of loads of unemployed Boardsies :-o

Graham Gibbons provided me with a lovely winner when guiding Clockmaker to victory at Catterick yesterday. The pair had plenty to suit with the ground softening throughout the morning and eventually went on to score a shade comfortably in the end. Given that the horse goes on the all-weather and hasn't had a tough season at all, he may be of interest again over the winter when getting conditions to suit on polytrack. He's still potentially well-treated off the rise in the weights that he will face and in hindsight, I wish I had a bit more on him as the 14/1 price-tag that was proved to be massive.

The other selection, Klynch, showed plenty of pace for 5f but it was a pity that the race had another couple of furlongs to go when he began to fade away! A long season probably took its toll on Ruth Carr's progressive sprinter and he'll get a deserved break now.

+26.00pts on a brilliant and very welcome day. Badly needed that for a well-timed confidence boost.

1:30 Nottingham - Ridley Didley - 1pt @ 20/1 (Bet365)

It's very tough to be confident about anything in this 17-runner 5-furlong sprint and plenty come into it with a chance of going well. Given how it's beneficial to have a high draw over this trip at Nottingham, Ridley Didley looks to be the one to side with from the highest stall in 17. Noel Wilson's speedy 6 year old will have to overcome a mark of 66 and win in a C5 contest for the first time if he's to return the money here but he's just the type to be massively favoured in these conditions and looks worthy of small stakes support.

Riddley Didley hasn't run up to his best on his recent 4 outings but I'm finding it quite easy to find excuses as to why that was the case and if he can come here in the same vein as his last win, he's not without a chance at all. That victory was achieved 5 starts ago at Musselburgh over this flying 5 furlongs, a race in which Noel Wilson's charge won by nearly 2 lengths with relative ease. He's only 2lb higher in the ratings now and although plenty suited him on that occasion, a similar run may just suffice here for a horse who has much more speed than one would expect from a seemingly exposed sprinter. The problem is that he usually can't sustain his effort but he'll have the favoured rail to help here.

On that occasion, Adrian Nicholls partnered Ridley Didley and he does so again for the first time since. I wouldn't exactly be the biggest fan of him but some horses go for certain jockeys and having him hop back on board may just be a bigger positive than it looks. He's also riding well of late and doesn't venture down to Nottingham too often, so hopefully he's heading down with the intention of grabbing a nice-priced winner with what looks to be his best of two rides (the other is in a seller for Dandy). The horse also does exceptionally well at the track having won off 60 and finished 2nd off this mark of 66 in just two runs here. He does face an uphill task against some useful types but he's talented on his day and having a very small win bet at a fancy price-tag of 20/1 will do no harm.

3:40 Nottingham - Desert Romance - 2pts @ 14/1 (Bet365)

Another very tough contest to solve with 15 runners set to go to post to contest this extended 1-mile C4 Handicap. The one of most interest at the prices is the David O'Meara trained 5 year old, Desert Romance. This exceptionally game front-runner hasn't been at his best of late but a return to form could be on the cards now that he's returned to fast ground and dropping in grade to contest a race at Class 4 level having been outclassed in the main all season - despite running well more often than not.

Desert Romance hasn't actually run in this grade since making his debut for David O'Meara over 1m 2f at the stiff Newcastle track. On that occasion, he set out to make all of the running and wasn't for stopping as he went on to score by 1¾ lengths - beating a comfortable next-time-out winner in the process. Now that was only 6-runner race in which he had plenty to suit but it proved how useful he can be on a going day and a similar effort now back in trip (which should suit) would see him run a big race here off the same handicap mark of 84 (has since placed at C2 level off 89, just a length behind winner Nanton).

It's also interesting that O'Meara sees fit to book useful 5lb claimer Ashley Morgan and if they're sending this fellow out with the intentions of running his race, he should do well. Morgan has ridden on 11 occasions for the stable and barely any of them have run well (although all were double-figure prices and seemingly unfancied), so fingers crossed that Desert Romance doesn't follow that trend. Getting 5lbs off his back is no bad thing though and overall, he has plenty to suit with ground, track and potentially the trip all being in his favour.

Chapter And Verse would be my second choice at the prices, as he's got plenty in his favour here and could potentially win quite easily if he was on a going day. It's just a pity that he finds those days hard to come by and may have to settle for a minor role yet again. 8/1 is a decent price about him though and a small saver bet wouldn't do any harm. Nelson's Bounty is another interesting one at 14/1 but he's very frustrating and being from Paul D'Arcy's stable, how he'll run is anyone's guess. He's potentially well-treated though and not one to dismiss too lightly - especially if there's money around for him.

Overall, Desert Romance is the one I'll stick with and his price is just too big (8's would be fair I'd say). He's fairly well exposed but he's talented on his day, suited by these conditions (which he hasn't got often this year), well-handicapped and if he's lining out to give his best, he'll make a bold bid. Small/medium win stakes for me again and hopefully there's some support for him in the market, as that's a solid sign with this yard. I'll also be interested to see how my selection from the other day gets on, as Daneside lines out again and has plenty to suit. He couldn't land a blow at Leicester when the track was favouring those on the pace and if he's a bit more fortunate here, he could make the frame at 25/1. I just hate backing horses turning out again so quick and although it has suited him before, this is a tough race for him. Actually now that I've mentioned him I think I'll have to play another very small saver, as they often win when I don't follow up next time out!

Final one.

4:55 Musselburgh - Rothesay Chancer - 3pts @ 7/2 (Bet365)

Backing favourites is something I'm not overly keen to do but Rothesay Chancer was a horse I said I'd keep in mind after seeing him a few times this season and he's worthy of taking a chance on here at a track where he goes exceptionally well. Since becoming a very progressive sprinting 3 year old this year, Jim Goldie's charge has C&D form reading 2-1-1-2-3. The wins were achieved off marks of 59 & 65 when notching up successive wins between May and June.

Today, Rothesay Chancer is rated 10lbs higher than the last of those wins but he has since won off 70 at Newcastle (good-to-soft) and finished 2nd and 3rd off 76 & 77 respectively - the latter coming over C&D in a much more competitive contest. On that occasion he got too far back for his own good and was the only one to make any sort of inroads into the pace, as the race favoured those racing handy (5 of first 6 raced prominently). That efforts can be upgraded somewhat and a slightly better performance would suffice here I'd imagine.

That was on his penultimate start and I backed Rothesay Chancer last time out when he ran at the Ayr festival nearly 6 weeks ago. He tackled a 22-runner race and as was the case with his previous outing, it favoured those on the pace. He finished 3rd of 10 in his group and again was the only one to make up any ground from the rear. The general consensus is that he needs to be stepped back up to 6f but I don't think that's the case and he just needs a fair chance of getting involved when waiting tactics are used.

Jim Goldie now sees fit to drop Rothesay Chancer back in grade after the handicapper dropped him a pound since his last run and I think he's more than up to landing the spoils today. Ground conditions are spot on for him and he should get a very solid gallop to run at - which is needed for him over this trip. I don't think there's anything as good as him lining up here and if he's on a going day and gets the breaks mid-race, he's bound to have some sort of say in the finish under his regular pilot - 3lbs claimer Gary Bartley.

Jim Goldie seems to have his yard in good knick of late and although Rothesay Chancer has had a long season for a young sprinter, he's held his form well and should be freshened up sufficiently on the back of a 40 day lay-off. 7/2 (missed 4's with the BOG firms whilst writing - annoying!) is a very good price about him if he's as useful as I think he could be and I'll play medium stakes in the hope that he can run another big race. Of the rest, Tongalooma would be the biggest danger as the betting suggests but she may just not appreciate this test and looks a bit high in the handicap now that she's 10lbs higher than her last (easy) win. Some of the others are interesting if showing more than they have of late but Jim Goldie's charge can run a big race here and looks the one to beat with plenty being in his favour. Hopefully he'll go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Gonna follow you on the last one, good luck

Sorry bud. Had his chance, just not good enough on the day.

No luck on Wednesday with all 3 of the selections failing to run up to their best. Doubt any of them will be lining out again in the closing stages of the season so there's no point recording why I thought they lost. Definitely going to keep an eye on Jim Goldie's horse next season though, as he's got a good bit more to give as a 4 year old sprinter.

-6.00pts on the day.

3:00 Newmarket - Artistic Jewel - 2pts @ 11/2 (Ladbrokes)

Hardly the most exciting Listed race we've ever seen and with doubts to be had over pretty much ever one of the runners, it's hard to be overly confident about anything. The one I fancy to run a big race is Ed McMahon's Artistic Jewel, as she's ultra-consistent, lightly-raced (like them all I suppose) and capable of improving significantly with much more being in her favour today compared to some of her career outings so far.

Artistic Jewel was an impressive first-time-out winner (July 25th) when scoring by nearly 3 lengths in a modest Windsor maiden over the minimum trip. She was then sent off as the 3/1 favourite for a Listed contest over the same trip at Newbury when lining out a couple of weeks later. Things didn't go to plan as she received a bump just after the off and then couldn't quicken when brought into contention in the closing stages. She ended up getting beat by just over 3 lengths, finishing 5th of the 12 runners. She was also 2½ lengths behind today's 4/1 favourite - Bryan Smart's thrice Listed-placed Excelette.

A step up in trip looked like a good move for Artistic Jewel when connections brought her to Doncaster for a 5-runner conditions race a few weeks later. However, the race turned out to be a sprint within a sprint and she had to settle for a half-length 3rd behind Richard Hannon's very useful colt Eureka - a horse who dictated a slow tempo early on and gradually wound it up a couple of furlongs from home.

This didn't suit Ed McMahon's filly at all and she did very well to finish so close given how reliant on a strong gallop that I feel she is. She was also a bit unlucky mid-race and could of finished even closer if not for being on the receiving end of a few bumps when the race started to get interesting. All-in-all it was a good run and probably represented a step up on anything she had done before.

Artistic Jewel got back to winning ways when scoring at Salisbury in another conditions race (4 runners) when last seen a month ago to the day. It was another unsatisfactory race for McMahon's filly, as she didn't look one bit happy on the soft ground but still managed to win a shade cosily in the end. It wasn't a great race by any means and one that she was entitled to win but she was never better than at the closing stages of the race and seemed to relish the stiff track.

Today's track is quite testing too and Artistic Jewel has got plenty to suit, including much better ground to run on. There should be a solid end-to-end gallop and that's something she will also relish. The only worries I have here are how McMahon and Graham Gibbons get on at the track, as the trainer is 1 from 25 at Newmarket whilst Gibbons is 2 from 42. I know that statistics aren't the most important things in the world but I'd much prefer them to be more favourable than that. Regardless, the pair have a horse that is open to a lot more improvement, suited by conditions and nicely priced at 11/2. Small/medium win bet again, as it's very tough to be overly confident but this one should run a big race with plenty being in her favour. Previous selection Besito is worth having a little bit on too at a fancy price of 16/1.

First National Hunt bet (God help me). Not going to write much about them for a while.

3:20 Wetherby - Phidippides - 1pt @ 7/1 (Boyles)

The 7-year-old Phidippides is very highly thought of at Evan Williams' yard and if he's readied first time out, he's potentially well-treated off a handicap mark of 136. He won his opening pair of hurdle contests (both 2m 5f) in 09/10 before failing to give his best in a G1 at Aintree (3m 1f) that same season (travelled very well but dropped out). Last year he ran well first time up (cause for optimism here) when finishing a length behind the talented Jonjo O'Neill trained Rock Noir on his chasing debut and duly went one better with a 12 length win when sent off as a 2/7 shot in a poor contest at Ludlow (2m 4f).

Phidippides then disappointed on his other pair of starts that season, with ground being a valid excuse for the first occasion and poor jumping under pressure costing him a chance on the second. Williams has since reported that he has strengthened up well since taking a break and he's still hopeful that he can live up to the previous high expectations. If he can, a mark of 136 is very workable and I see no reason why he can't have a say in this contest with ground, trip and track all being to suit. It's all a case of whether he's forward enough to take this race but the yard are in good knick and 7/1 looks a price worth taking a small chance on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Is this the start of the National Hunt bets recovery !

The start of gambling hell probably. Should be good craic anyway.

• Advertisement

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMERANG! :D

Won so easy. Geeeeerrrrin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement