Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Tip o the cap to you !

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Cheers everyone. That got me excited to say the least! Some buzz being right for a change. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

sweet sir just pure sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXFISH1

Take a bow Sir Pyro!

The Giant Bolster unseats at the first. That's more like it!

Scudamore seems completely unable to stay on board when his horses make mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

threeatpc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Think the horse whisperer should have spoken a bit louder :-S

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

x PyRo wrote: »
    The Giant Bolster unseats at the first. That's more like it!

Scudamore seems completely unable to stay on board when his horses make mistakes.

As a rule I never back Scudamore over fences.

Bresner done some job with him. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Nice call P

• Advertisement

when things like that happen it makes me question if you are God at all,

walks slowly to kneel at the foot of the sofa to recite my new horse prayers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

Didnt see the race but nice one man ;) did it win well?

Cheers lads. Yeah he won easily D and that was despite a few sketchy jumps. Travelled all over them and scooted clear before being eased down.

Just watched The Giant Bolster's first fence jump at few times since and my initial thoughts of what went wrong was so wide of the mark. The horse jumped it perfectly and Scudamore bounced off a few strides after he landed. What a clown.

Another good day at the office courtesy of Galaxy Rock and his supreme cruising speed. Jonjo O'Neill's unexposed stayer tanked along throughout his race, jumped well more often than not and eventually went on to score by an easy 5 lengths, value for a fair bit further. He landed a 2pt bet for me at a brilliant price of 9/1 and looks like a horse who has plenty more to give in the future over staying trips.

Hennessy, my other selection in the race, was never really travelling too well nor did he jump good enough to get involved in a race like that and he eventually pulled up when it was obvious that he wasn't going to land a blow. Given who he's trained by, I'll be keeping a close eye on him in the future and he'll be of interest again for sure.

Originally, I thought The Giant Bolster was let down by his usual poor jumping again but having watched his first fence leap a few times since, it's evident that the eventual unseating of Tom Scudamore had nothing to do with the horses jump. He went over it beautifully but landed fairly hard and the jockey fell off a few strides later. Given his risky profile, he's bound to be a nice price when next contesting a big-field handicap and I'll be keeping a close eye on him too.

Five Star Junior was relatively poor at Lingfield, although he didn't get the rub of the green at all when getting forced wide as the sprint for home began. He's one to watch this winter and I'm sure he'll pay his way eventually over the same C&D if connections can find a suitable race, as I'd say he was just outclassed today at Listed level.

+8.00pts on the day. The last 4 betting days have provided a +35pt profit, so things are going well after a slow start in which I couldn't find a winner at all. Hopefully there's plenty more to come.

1:10 Cheltenham - Bellvano - 2pts @ 8/1 (Boylesports)

Taking on Al Ferof mightn't be the smartest thing to do but Nicholls seems to think that he'll be in need of his first appearance over the bigger obstacles and that he should improve throughout the season, as happened last year. Whether he's messing about or not is beyond me but I feel the horse is worth taking on at best-priced odds of even money and Bellvano, who represents the in-form Nicky Henderson team, could be the one to oppose him with.

This lightly-raced 7-year-old will have to concede 4lbs to the Nicholls trained favourite but he's got previous experience of jumping fences having raced in this code twice last year. After getting turned over in a novice chase at a price of 1/5, Henderson's charge went back over hurdles to run at the festival (ran poorly) before obliging in Ireland when sent back over fences. He jumped well in the main, travelled well and found plenty for pressure, which hasn't always been the case with him. That was on ground which is considered to be more than soft enough for him and I feel it was a very good effort when everything's taken into account.

Bellvano now steps back to the bare 2 mile trip and that's something I feel will help him (ran over 2f further when last seen), as he has plenty of speed. He does stay well too and although Henderson says Cheltenham isn't his sort of track, I don't think that's the case. He has all the attributes of one that should go well here and I fancy him to do exactly that. It may end up that he will be simply outclassed but he was always highly thought of and looks open to any amount of improvement once he gets his act together.

Being fresh from a break shouldn't be an issue for Bellvano and with ground to suit being combined with a likely strong pace to run after, he could run a very big race. 8/1 is just too big about this very talented animal and small/medium win stakes will do no harm. He may not be the most likely winner of the race but he's overpriced due to the inclusion of Al Ferof, who really could be anything over fences and isn't worth the risk (at the price) on his first run over fences.

2:20 Cheltenham - Sanctuaire - 3pts @ 14/1 (Bet365, Ladbrokes, WillHill)

I'm going to continue to go down the route of having risky selections by backing Sanctuaire, who will either run a cracker or run poorly. It will all depend on how he is mentally on the day, as he can often throw away his chance by being too keen for his own good. Regardless, if it all comes together for the Paul Nicholls trained 5-year-old, he could well become the fifth top-weight in the last decade to land this Grade 3 Handicap and given his undoubted class, a rating of 150 is not beyond him in the slightest.

Sanctuaire is 4lbs higher than when he tackled this race last year and although he probably wasn't going to get involved when his race was ended with a crashing fall 2 out, I don't believe the testing ground was to his liking. With better ground today and the race being weaker than it was last year, it could be a different story if he can relax mid-race. He disappointed on his following pair of runs after contesting this race but then had a breathing operation and made his comeback in the Grade 2 Scottish Champion Hurdle at Ayr, a race in which he won quite easily off a 6lb lower mark than he faces today. His next outing was a week later and ended up being a complete write-off, so it's safe to ignore it.

Sanctuaire is one that will probably always give his best when fresh and coming here on the back of a summer break is no bad thing. It's clear that he handles the course as he bolted in by 9 lengths in the Fred Winter as a 4-year-old at the 2010 festival and course form is always very handy to have around here. The likely end-to-end gallop is something that he'll thrive on and it'll help him in so many ways, yet another positive. Everything looks geared towards Nicholls' charge running a big race under Ruby Walsh and I think he could be the pure class horse in the race if all is well in his head. If he settles, 14/1 is a gigantic price and I'll play medium win stakes on him obliging. Hopefully he will.

I'm also going to back Viva Colonia - 1pt @ 40/1 (VC); David O'Meara's 6-year-old is not the most obvious winner in a race of this nature but prior to disappointing last time out on ground quicker than is ideal (also hampered), this fellow bolted up off a 9lb lower mark on soft ground at Cartmel. He lacks the class of many in the field but he travels oh so well when getting a solid gallop to run after and he will get that here. His jumping is sound in the main and if there's a horse that could cause a shock at a giant price here, it may well be this one. He's also fairly unexposed at this sort of trip over hurdles having been campaigned over further for most of his hurdling career to date. With regard to the track, it should be right up his street and overall, 40/1 just looks very big. I'll play a small win bet just in case the impossible happens.

PP giving stake back if 2nd to SP fav... Bellvano odds 7.00 and 1/5 1,2,3
    bet 365 odds 7.50 and 1/4 1,2,3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I just saw you picked Bellvanno there. One of the most fustrating horses I've ever seen. He constantly races at short odds and it's only on his hurdle form where he was meant to be one of the next big things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Sanctuaire had that but for traffic at the last,Making huge ground,Then Lost all momentum ,
    Was cantering along most of race, Had Ruby jumped in center of last fence like he wanted to he would have took it up, had to pull wide to his left to jump last fence to avoid all the traffic
    Hard luck

If Sanctuaire didn't act the pup in the preliminaries and over-race in the early stages of the race he would of went close for sure.

Travelled like one of the best horses in the race and he would have been a lot closer if it wasn't for that mess at the end when he got mauled big time by Moon Dice. That was his race over, although he wouldn't of won anyway (would have been different if he didn't act up beforehand and pull hard early on; bound to have taken a fair bit out of him). He's a class horse, just a pity he needs everything to be spot on and his headstrong ways constantly let him down.

Viva Colonia ran a cracker to come out of the clouds and place in 5th, pity I didn't back him each-way but thought it was really an all-or-nothing sort of bet.

Anyway, I can't be greedy. Made a +22pt profit from the 3 day meeting (from 7 bets in 5 races) and now I'm 100% sure that I can profit over the whole season. Toppin' weekend!

Edit : Just watched Bellvano again. He barely had a race at all.

Jumped poorly towards the end (put in a couple of nice ones early on) but wasn't even put into contention by McCoy having travelled well. Pulled too hard for his own good early on anyway - would imagine he was just too fresh (given how he pulled despite a strong pace being set from the off) and needed the run to put him right.

Frustrating or not, the horse has plenty of ability and there's lots to come from him over fences yet. A nice flat, galloping track will probably bring out the best in him and I'm sure there's a nice race in him this season. I'll be following for sure.

took a little e/w on Viva..... nice one Pyro! :)

FOXFISH1 wrote: »
    took a little e/w on Viva..... nice one Pyro! :)

im confused on this 1 did it place?

• Advertisement

im confused on this 1 did it place?

Plenty of the firms paid 5 places. Just wish I went each-way on him myself. Fuuu.

x PyRo wrote: »
    Plenty of the firms paid 5 places. Just wish I went each-way on him myself. Fuuu.

I see, well I would think the firm I used will only pay 4 places, sometimes its hard to even get them to do that,

I did it EW @ 40s so I must go check.

I taught as much, no chance,

so now I am going to change firms as this is not the 1st time they have done this while other firms pay the 5 places,

nice pick sir once again.

No luck yesterday. Too lazy to go through how I thought they ran but the pair in the Greatwood did well; the 40/1 shot finished 5th and the other was staying on when hampered. Henderson's charge was disappointing, although never put into the race.

-6.00pts on the day.

Keeping it brief today.

3:10 Wolverhampton - Dark Dune - 3pts @ 6/1 (PaddyPower, WillHill)

On paper, this isn't the most entertaining race ever seen but Dark Dune should appreciate the likely strong gallop and if connections revert to more prominent tactics, I'm sure that he can exploit his current handicap rating of 69 in this contest. He runs off the same mark as when finishing strongly over C&D to come home in 4th place last time out and he met plenty of trouble in-running on that occasion. I quite like how he picked up on the back of a modest gallop and given that he stays further, it certainly wasn't to suit, especially given he was held up right out the back. The effort is certainly one that can be marked up. Overall, he looks to be a very exposed horse for his age (only a 3-year-old) but he's completely unexposed on polytrack and also over this trip, so he's worthy of support in what is a modest contest. Medium win stakes will do me and if he races handy, as he did for both of his wins on turf, I feel he'll get involved in the finish at the very least.

4:40 Wolverhampton - Frequency - 2pts @ 8/1 (Ladbrokes)

It'll take a career best effort from Frequency if he's to land the spoils here off a mark of 75 but with the way Keith Dalgleish is getting his horses to run, it'd take a foolish man to bet against him improving this one again at some stage. The way in which the horse can travel always gives him a chance of being the type to improve further and although he disappointed when sent off as the 4/1 favourite last time out at this track (6f), the effort is easily forgiven as he raced so wide throughout and just had nothing left to give in the closing stages. His penultimate run was quite impressive, as he scooted in off a 5lb lower mark over 6f at this track and was never stronger than at the finish, so the step up to 7f (which he stays easily) is another plus. This race should be run at a frenetic pace which will suit him and if Joe Fanning can get the horse a nice position from his sit in stall 7, I feel he'll be bang there to pick up the pieces when the pace collapses in the home straight. 8/1 is a very nice price about him but it's a tough race to call and I'll play it cautiously with a small/medium win bet, even though I'm tempted to have more on. Hopefully he'll go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Dark Dune wins gud man pyro

WOW! Won with complete ease. Get in. :D Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Killed

Doesn't get any easier than that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Pyro you legend Dark Dune hacked up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

Pyro your beautiful :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bruckey2345

Thanks Pyro , done very few bets before , saw your tip and decided to bet on it :D

• Advertisement

Oh man, nobody will ever know how much I love this game! What a cracking change of fortune lately.

Cheers for all the comments lads and well done. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement