Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

already down to 11/2 in powers, keep up the good work pyro, by far the most consistent gambler i've ever seen and not afraid to share his knowledge with us, which in my opinion is a really amicable thing to do and not seen very often in the gambling community.

Really appreciate all the time and effort you put in pyro.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fifty dollars more

tongue tied first time today bell 2/6 with this

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

The drought will come when i start following you again :mad:.

starting today
    I'm on :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Ah crap, Regeneration just wasn't at the races there at all. For once I can't find an obvious excuse for him and he just emptied straight away. Didn't really travel with much fluency either and I was expecting that he would. Very disappointing.

Will hopefully find one or two to go much better tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Hard luck Pyro at least requisite placed though so not all is lost. Looking forward to tomorrows selection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭stingerro

Pyro - great job so far with a new season. And reading your previews is always a pleasure (even not knowing anything about horse racing).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

now sir it is going to take me some time to lose my winnings which you created,

onwards and upwards sir, to the bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Can I ask if you have had many accounts restricted or closed yet by those nice "we do not want your type betting with us" ie winners bookmaking people yet , though I noticed you said you were betting on the exchanges a lot.

Most of them are just limited to small stakes now and the odd one is blocked completely. Quite annoying but the exchanges do the job for me at the moment anyway.

Regeneration was well-supported in the market at Lingfield but he was very disappointing, unfortunately. He got a prominent sit under Jamie Spencer but may have burned up too much energy getting across early from a wide draw (first 4 home drawn 5, 4, 3, 6) and couldn't quicken when asked. In the end, he dropped out tamely (shaping as if not quite right) and finished well beaten. It was another poor run from him but he's going to be of interest again given that he's on a very workable mark and I'm sure that he's a lot better than that performance. I can never get horses to go well at Lingfield anyway, so my track jinx may have ruined his chance!

-2.00pts on the day.

4:20 Kempton - Ereka - 2pts @ 5/1 (Bet365, Ladbrokes, VC)

This is an awful contest and certainly not one for big stakes but Ereka should prove to be a lively contender for John Best on what is just her second outing for the yard. She's still a maiden after 12 contests but shaped very encouragingly when sent off as a 20/1 shot at Wolverhampton over this 7f trip last time out. I don't particularly like horses being held up in rear around there and due to a poor draw, she also had to sit wide throughout. Given all of this being against her, the resulting running-on 1 length 3rd place that she achieved was ultra-encouraging on the back of a 2 month break (stayed on strongly on the back of a very good pace, which she never usually does) and she looks capable of building on it here.

Being a Class 7 race, this represents a drop in grade for Ereka and I'm really struggling to find anything to oppose her with if the race is run properly at all (lack of pace a worry). The fact she's much better drawn today from stall 6 is another plus and I'm hopeful that connections will decide to make a lot more use of her, as they just couldn't last time out. That run did prove that she's capable of winning a lowly race though and today could be the day, with a little bit of luck of course.

Ereka has run fairly well here before (on the back of a long lay-off) and with improvement to be found being quite likely for her new yard, I feel she's fully deserving of being the favourite here. 5/1 is quite an attractive price about her but purely down to the nature of the race and the possibility that she won't give a similar running again (due to a possible lack of pace ruining her chance), I'll just play small/medium win stakes and hope for the best. She's definitely one to keep on the right side of - as despite being such a moderately talented animal, she has a win in her off her current rating on this surface.

6:50 Kempton - Al Aqabah - 2pts @ 6/1 (Ladbrokes, WillHill)

Another tough race to be confident about anything but I liked how Al Aqabah went about business when scoring here over a furlong shorter last time out and a 3lb rise in the weights may not be enough to stop her if it's all systems go once again. Another career-best performance will be required from Brian Gubby's 6-year-old mare but she's quite lightly-raced for one of her age (17 starts) and based on how well she asserted in the closing stages last time out (despite being keen early, returning blinkers being the cause; on again), the extra distance could be what she's in need of nowadays, despite the fact that she managed to win over 7f when last seen.

If we just concentrate on Al Aqabah's form when running at Kempton in blinkers, it reads; 1-2-1-2-4-1. That's obviously impressive and it's clear that she loves it around here. Her biggest defeat at the course (with blinkers) was just over 2 lengths and if she's going to achieve another win any time soon, I'm sure it'll be over this C&D. A good pace to run at isn't assured and although that's a worry (as she mightn't settle, nor stay on as she can), I think it's worth taking a chance on her regardless, as 6/1 is a bit too big.

Luke Morris is on board for the first time and although he isn't riding many winners of late, most are going well for him and he's a very good jockey on the all-weather tracks. The pair also have a nice sit in stall 1 and overall, I'm not too keen on many of the opposition. It's another one for small/medium win stakes but she should go well and may have a good chance of winning it. Sweet Secret (8/1) would be a very interesting contender with a kinder draw but she may even get into the lead anyway and a small saver on her mightn't be the worst idea ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭luvlyjubbly

Hey PyRo, thanks for todays tip. First time I came across your forum had a read of your pointers and backed sweet secret each way at 12/1. Happy dsys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXFISH1

(note to self: Always read ALL of PyRo's write-up)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

FS every time I thank you it redirects me, telling me i am not allowed to thank you, now I know your some type of god, which pisses the true gods off (like we believe them, your the true god) but im OCD i need it fixed.

lol, you crazy 3!

Note to self: Back the saver. Fuuuu.

No cigar yesterday. Ereka was well-positioned in her race but they went slow throughout and she just couldn't go on when the tempo lifted, negating any advantage she had by being close up. In the end, she wasn't beaten by too far and held on to 3rd place, so I feel it was a very good effort in the circumstances. She'll be winning a race before too long, when getting a good pace to run after, and I'll definitely be interested again depending on the price.

Al Aqabah was also the victim of a slow gallop, as she pulled very hard throughout and couldn't quicken when it mattered. She's always going to be a risky proposition but could pop up again over the winter and will be another to consider when there's a good pace on at this track. The eventual winner was the Jamie Spencer ridden Sweet Secret and I said that she "would be a very interesting contender with a kinder draw" and that "a small saver on her mightn't be the worst idea ever." Pity I didn't take my own opinion seriously!

-4.00pts on the day.

Just one today and keeping it very brief, caught for time.

4:15 Wolverhampton - Ad Vitam - 2pts @ 9/2 (Ladbrokes)

Ad Vitam was an obvious eye-catcher last time out when running over a sprint trip on polytrack for the first time and if he's in the same mood here, he should go very well. That run was over this C&D last week and in the end, David Griffith's charge was 2¾ lengths behind the winner in 4th place. Having been caught wide throughout (could be similar story from wider draw today), he covered more ground than anything in the field and probably would have won if it wasn't for an inexperienced 7lb claiming jockey being on board. In the end, he ran into all sorts of trouble when brought into the pack to try and get a run but finished very well on the bit. I'm obviously crying out for punishment by backing him with the same jockey on board from a wider stall but if the pair can get some luck in running, Claire Murray could be celebrating her first career win as a jockey after the race. It's a bet full of risk but at 9/2 it's one worth taking a small/medium chance on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

wolves s pyros stomping ground this is a winner!! cant wait to pick up my winnings!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

x PyRo wrote: »
    lol, you crazy 3!

Note to self: Back the saver. Fuuuu.

Can't wait for what's left of my pp balance to not be locked into NCAA bets so I can get on a few of these tips :p

wolves s pyros stomping ground this is a winner!! cant wait to pick up my winnings!!:cool:

Loving the optimism, hating the extreme jinxing. Hugh? :p
    Leeg17 wrote: »
    Can't wait for what's left of my pp balance to not be locked into NCAA bets so I can get on a few of these tips :p

I'm due a bad run dude, so it might be the best time to avoid 'em. We'll see though and looking forward to a good raid on Saturday. :) /wishfulthinking

get on early i think hugh taylor put this up as an eyecatcher the other day which will shorten up if thats so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

get on early i think hugh taylor put this up as an eyecatcher the other day which will shorten up if thats so

Lads I have to ask, who in the blue hello is Hugh Taylor? I've seen him mentioned a few times on this :o

tipster on attheraces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Never got any sort of run :(

• Advertisement

Wasn't that really, just never got in contention to get a run (trapped wide in rear throughout at a track that favours front-runners). The jockey was a massive hindrance but I knew that would be the case before, so it's my own fault.

Will be interesting to see where they go next and what they do with the jockey situation. If there's a half-decent jockey on board and he gets a nice draw (so they'll make more use of him), I'll be on again. If not, I won't!

Ah well, that's how she goes. At least there's some good stuff up tomorrow.

Backed this fellow on the 3rd of November...
    1:40 Southwell - The Name Is Don - 1pt e/w @ 20/1 (Bet365, Boyles, VC)

The Name Is Don doesn't come from a stable that does too well when it comes to getting winners but the step up in trip to 7 furlongs should help this juvenile and given his sires 18% strike-rate on the fibresand, he should appreciate the surface too. Off a mark of 59 in such a poor race, he could go well under the guidance of the excellent Adam Kirby and I'll have a small each-way bet on him doing the business. He'll either run a cracker or drop out and finish towards the rear of the field, hopefully it's the former.

Said this after he ran...
    The Name Is Don couldn't get a position early (despite a sound draw) and hated the kickback by the looks of it. He also had to come awful wide into the straight too but ran on well (into 6th; nearest at the finish). He'll be interesting if he's running at Southwell again over the winter. Step up in trip suited and if they can make more use of him early on (as I expected they would today), there's a lowly race for him before too long.

He had his first run today since then... wins @ 40/1 on his second outing over 7f, this time at Wolverhampton in a maiden having been made to make the running. Why didn't I just persist with him. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

Backed this fellow on the 3rd of November...

Said this after he ran...

He had his first run today since then... wins @ 40/1 on his second outing over 7f, this time at Wolverhampton in a maiden having been made to make the running. Why didn't I just persist with him. :(:(
    No way, ya must be ragin about that

Quite annoyed with myself for not even having a cheeky tenner at such a price (69/1 BSP!). Knew the 7f trip was going to bring out more improvement in him on any surface that he'd go on and he seemed to have little problem with polytrack before over shorter trips. Won handy enough too. This sport would drive ya insane!

Just thought I'd point out that persistence can pay off sometimes, but not for me. :pac:

Oh well, back to tomorrow's stuff. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

El oucho :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Unlucky,do you ever back in maiden races though?

Only if I'm following one and it's a big price. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Ad Vitam couldn't get involved at Wolverhampton and again he was the victim of a "modest" ride from his very inexperienced 7lb claiming jockey. The high draw inconvenienced him as he was caught so very wide throughout (as was the case on his previous outing) and could never land a blow as a result. He stuck on well in the home straight to be never nearer than at the finish and if connections opt to put up a more experienced jockey sometime soon, I'll be on board.

-2.00pts on the day. Probably serves me right for backing a horse in an apprentice race.

Keeping things brief today.

12:50 Haydock - Indian Daudaie - 3pts @ 5/1 (Boyles, Ladbrokes)

Indian Daudaie is yet to win in 4 outings since joining the Paul Nicholls yard at the beginning of this year but it's clear as day that this 4-year-old has plenty of ability and recent comments from his trainer have been quite promising. How he'll be on his first outing of the season is anyone's guess but he's said to have improved significantly over the summer and a rating of 138 should not be beyond him at all.

The Nicholls trained animals are also going exceptionally well of late and Ruby Walsh is on board for just the second time, which is obviously a plus. I think this C&D will suit him perfectly and the likely bit of ease in the ground will be no hindrance, so hopefully it will all come together for a horse who has obvious talent. A couple of interesting rivals line up in opposition but he may well be the best of them and medium win stakes will do the job. 5/1 is a nice price about him and he looks to have a very live chance of running a big race.

2:30 Haydock - Rival D'Estruval - 2pts @ 10/1 (WillHill)

This is an awful race to try and solve but Rival D'Estruval looks capable of running a big race before he goes novice chasing and I fancy Pauline Robson's lightly-raced 6-year-old to do exactly that. He's upped in grade on the back of a 9lb rise in the handicap for winning a competitive Pretemps Qualifier when 4lbs "wrong" at the weights. That came over 3m and half-a-furlong at Aintree nearly a month ago and although it wasn't really a true test at the trip, he was never stronger than at the finish (despite taking a while to assert) on his first attempt at 3 mile.

Today's race should be run ideally for Rival D'Estruval and given how well he can travel throughout his races, further improvement in a big field like this cannot be ruled out. Timmy Murphy hops back on board and given how well he's riding of late, that's no bad thing either. Overall, 10/1 looks like a decent price about a progressive horse like him and I'll play small/medium win stakes again, even though he'll have to find quite a lot more improvement in order to win.

3:20 Ascot - Torphichen - 3pts @ 13/2 (Betfred, VC)

This is a very competitive handicap chase and although it's hard to be confident about anything, Torphichen should prove to be a lively contender for the in-form Alan King stable. This 6-year-old gelding only joined the King yard recently but put in a very good performance on debut over C&D when finishing just over 6 lengths behind Anquetta (9/2 fav here on 8lb worse terms) in 4th place a few weeks ago. He also reopposes the 2nd & 3rd placed horses too but I'm quietly confident that the form will be turned around with all of them.

Torphichen travelled like a dream over this C&D last time out, despite the fact that he was running on ground thought to be quicker than ideal. If it wasn't for sloppy jumping in the latter stages then I'm sure he would have troubled the easy winner and with such a swing around in the weights, he can do a lot better today. Ground conditions may still be a bit lively for him but based on how he travelled, it shouldn't be an issue. King now reaches for a first-time visor and if that helps him to concentrate at his fences, as connections are hoping, he should go close. 13/2 is a grand price about him off a mark that he will surely prove up to defying and I'll play medium sized win stakes on him to do the business here.

Also; Takeroc - 2pts @ 15/2 (Boyles, Powers)

Paul Nicholls' 8-year-old gelding, Takeroc, also ran in that race over C&D when last seen and although he disappointed back in 5th place after being well-supported in the market (into 15/8 fav), I'm willing to give him another chance here to prove that he's still up to winning this sort of contest. He's up another 4lbs in the weights as he was running under a penalty having scooting in at Aintree less than a week before but I just think that race may have come too soon for him and despite having to line up off 145 (once rated 161), he should still get competitive.

Takeroc travelled very well under the guidance of the talented, 7lb-claiming Harry Derham (on again) and was another that would have done a lot better if it wasn't for some very poor jumping. I don't think he was overly good at many of them and if the longer break in between his races can help him in that department, he's bound to have some sort of say in proceedings. 15/2 is a good price about him and I'll play small/medium win stakes on him. Hopefully one of the pair will win it, although I think King's charge may prove to be the best of them in this race but we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Solid looking bets there. Good luck. Apparently Nicholls really likes Indian Daudaie

Such a contrast from last week but there'll be plenty more of that.

Something must have been amiss with Indian Daudaie (halved in price to 5/2), as he found absolutely zilch. Was under pressure a fair way out and I wasn't expecting that.

Rival D'Estruval started off in rear and stayed there throughout. Was well backed too, just not up to it on the day. No excuses.

Torphichen just didn't jump but traveled well enough. I'll be really interested in him when the softer ground comes out to play. His two runs for King have been very encouraging imo, despite the end result not being too good.

Takeroc traveled like a dream and was one of the last off the bridle but he flattered to deceive again unfortunately and couldn't go on when it mattered. Came 3rd in the end having lost a place near the finish. Good run but would have been nice if he won!

You know what... it was all worth it just to see Kauto Star win again. What an absolute hero he is. Delighted to have witnessed that.

• Advertisement

No joy on Saturday. All bar Takeroc (3rd) failed to run well and ended up disappointing. Not much else to say!

-10.00pts on a very poor day. Seeing Kauto scooting in made it all worth it though. Brilliant.

Still keeping things brief and just one bet for me today.

2:35 Kempton - Fontano - 2pts @ 7/1 (Boylesports)

Fontano isn't the most fluent hurdler that you'll ever see but I think there's plenty of value to be found in backing horses who have had their form held down by jumping issues and he fits the bill here. Emma Lavelle's lightly-raced 5-year-old grey shaped very encouragingly on both of his runs so far this season and connections now step him up to this 3 mile trip for the first time (both runs over 2m & 2m 3½f this season). I suspect that this will suit him given how he was flying at the death over the stiff 2m 3½f at Ascot last time out, where he finished a 5 length 5th in slowly run race having jumped poorly. If his hurdling improves then I'm sure he'll be defying his current rating of 115 before too long and the return to this track will suit (won 2m bumper here on debut). The yard are also in cracking form of late and they do very well at this track. It's a tough race to call but 7/1 is a nice price about a horse who hasn't given his best over hurdles yet and I'll play a small/medium stake on him doing the business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement