Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭dennymin

Crossbar again today, we'll get em again

2nd. Feck him anyway.

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Ah so damn close. :(

Birkside 2nd. :(

Now for some evening loss chasing!

5:10 Hamilton - Sheiling - .5pts e/w @ 8/1

Donkey! No more for me today.

Hopefully the weekend will go better than the last two days.

New Bank - 171.90 pts (+71.90pts)

chin up mate ! you'll get em back tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Pyro... Just be honest... Do you work for Boyle's or Paddy Power? :P

Seriously though, hopefully this luck will turn around :) Sure look on the bright side. You might have lost your money, but at least you're keeping people in jobs and other such recessionary key words.

Until you start winning again, you're just investing in people's future ;)

dennymin wrote: »
    chin up mate ! you'll get em back tomorrow!

Cheers Denny. Hopefully. Thanking of having a big bet on Aviate in the Oaks tomorrow, Should hopefully have a good chance of winning.
    Pyro... Just be honest... Do you work for Boyle's or Paddy Power? :P

If I did they'd be down money from me. ;)

Just need to quit picking the 2nd's all the time.

Or just bet that they will come second ;)

Hmm... Wonder what kinda odds you'd get for that. :P

Well since I've been following you (only about a week or so) I'm after breaking even. Noting lost or gained, so I'm in no position to complain, plus this thread gives me something to do and reading your posts is always insightful.

Investec Oaks - 4:05 Epsom Downs - Aviate - 5pts @ 6/1 (Ladbrokes)

Class filly in my opinion, Battled brilliantly to win last time out in a Group 3 when unable to get a clear run but managed to get up after showing a class turn of foot. Cecil has a great record in this and she looks sure to be up there. Should relish the step up in trip and will hopefully be able to run on late to take this and prove her undoubted class.

Queally has had the choice between Aviate and Timepiece and has chosen the former, He says she's working brilliantly at home but that it was a tight call between the two and he said 'I just hope she rises to the occasion once more but it was a tough choice and it would be no surprise to see Timepiece win.' Nor would it be a surprise to me, She's got the class according to Cecil she's also working great at home and I think it could well end up as a Cecil 1-2. I'll have a 1pt saver on Timepiece @ 8/1 (Boyles) but I really think Aviate has the class and speed to win this, She settles well and hopefully it'll all fall right tomorrow.

Investec Diomed Stakes - 1:40 Epsom Downs - Mabait - 2pts @ 7/2 (Will Hill)

Very good handicapper now taking a step up in class to a Group 3. Ran brilliantly in the Ascot Victoria Cup off top weight only losing by a neck. Fallon is on board and knows this one well having been on board for its last 5 runs including 4 wins during that time. Cumani's horses are in good form of late too and this is only one of two he's sending to Epsom tomorrow, Should have him tuned up to give a good account and hopefully win. Speedy sort who will probably come off the pace to try and win and should be suited by this track.

Alexandros is the obvious danger but flopped last time out at Meydan and I don't think being 3lbs heavier than Mabait will help his chances.

Penitent won the Lincoln on return but that was on slower ground, Has no real form on quicker ground bar a maiden race and should probably be in receipt of a few lbs from Mabait if this was a Handicap but they're off level weight here. I don't think any of the others will trouble him. The top three in the market will probably fill the places IMO.

• Advertisement

Investec Coronation Cup - 2:45 Epsom Downs - Sariska - 3pts @ 10/3 (Ladbrokes)

Classy filly who has won 2 Group 1's and placed in 2 others. Won the Middleton Stakes last month impressively considering the ground was probably a bit quick and tomorrows good ground will suit her down to the floor. She gets this trip no bothers at all and I think she's the value in the race compared to Fame And Glory who's only Evens at the moment and way under priced in my opinion. Has finished behind Sariska before in the Champion Stakes at Newmarket on quicker ground than tomorrow's and I think the ground will suit Sariska more. Youmzain is another danger but hasn't won for two years, Although he has been running exclusively in Group 1's for a while now but probably makes the best e/w appeal of the race.

Sariska gets the 3lb Filly weight allowance too which only makes me more convinced of her chances. She also has won at this course and the distance here which is vital around here and none of the others have won here. Spencer also knows her inside out and will know exactly what to do tomorrow, And hopefully guide her to victory once more. Sariska to get the better of Youmzain and Fame And Glory in that order.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

how many pts were backed so far

argosy2006 wrote: »
    how many pts were backed so far

Today - 10.

Overall - No idea.

Why ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

x PyRo wrote: »
    Investec Oaks - 4:05 Epsom Downs - Aviate - 5pts @ 6/1 (Ladbrokes)

Class filly in my opinion, Battled brilliantly to win last time out in a Group 3 when unable to get a clear run but managed to get up after showing a class turn of foot. Cecil has a great record in this and she looks sure to be up there. Should relish the step up in trip and will hopefully be able to run on late to take this and prove her undoubted class.

Queally has had the choice between Aviate and Timepiece and has chosen the former, He says she's working brilliantly at home but that it was a tight call between the two and he said 'I just hope she rises to the occasion once more but it was a tough choice and it would be no surprise to see Timepiece win.' Nor would it be a surprise to me, She's got the class according to Cecil she's also working great at home and I think it could well end up as a Cecil 1-2. I'll have a 1pt saver on Timepiece @ 8/1 (Boyles) but I really think Aviate has the class and speed to win this, She settles well and hopefully it'll all fall right tomorrow.

Whats your opinion of rumoush? (I backed her in all her starts so far...but got 1pt on 10s on Aviate after the Musidora)This looks an awfully sticky race to have a bet in at this stage...one of them has to win I suppose but are you that confident abaout Aviate?

Nulty wrote: »
    Whats your opinion of rumoush? This looks an awfully sticky race to have a bet in at this stage...one of them has to win I suppose but are you that confident abaout Aviate?

Finished way back in the Guineas plus I wouldn't like any of the Guineas runners in this, Won a poor maiden and a poor enough listed race. I don't like Richard Hill as a jockey either plus I don't think she's in the class of Aviate who I was really impressed with last time out, If she doesn't run into trouble and if Timepiece doesn't show up as usual then she'll win imo. Timepiece is the danger, Hence the small saver!

Another one I fancy at Epsom.

Investec Mile - 2:10 Epsom Downs - Set The Trend - 2pts e/w @ 15/2 (Bet365)

Lightly raced and hasn't been seen for 272 days but had a good 3 year old campaign winning twice on the AW. Ran better than the 8th position would suggest when last seen at Kempton Park. Ran off a mark of 100 that day and comes here running off 93, So I think he has been given a chance by the handicapper. No better man than Jimmy Fortune to have on board at the minute as he's riding out of his skin and even had a 33/1 winner at Sandown. Can definitely improve enough to take this could well swoop late on if he gets a good run and has place claims at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Just wondering what you think of the hurdles/fences jockeys?
    Are you a McCoy man, or Walsh, or either ?

My personal favourite is Robert Thornton.

Just wondering what you think of the hurdles/fences jockeys?
    Are you a McCoy man, or Walsh, or either ?

My personal favourite is Robert Thornton.

I've grown to like McCoy, Used to hate him as he's a dry arse altogether but I like him alot more now for some reason! Ruby is a class act altogether and Paul Townend will be class in time too but some clowns say he's better than Ruby already, Crazy stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

x PyRo wrote: »
    Finished way back in the Guineas plus I wouldn't like any of the Guineas runners in this, Won a poor maiden and a poor enough listed race. I don't like Richard Hill as a jockey either plus I don't think she's in the class of Aviate who I was really impressed with last time out, If she doesn't run into trouble and if Timepiece doesn't show up as usual then she'll win imo. Timepiece is the danger, Hence the small saver!

I can accept most of that apart from the Richard Hills part...he is a very good jockey. Can't see why you dont think so.

I can accept most of that apart from the Richard Hills part...he is a very good jockey. Can't see why you dont think so.

I think he's an awful weak jockey, Anytime I back one of his rides and he's going head to head against someone in the final 50 yards he always loses! Although anytime my money isn't weighing him down he wins. :pac: Could be the pocket speaking. ;)

• Advertisement

New Bank - 163.90 pts (+63.90pts)

2 seconds, 1 third and Aviate didn't cope with the draw and didn't stay the 1m 4f.

Poor day.

tell me about it, all we can do is get back on the saddle again mate!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Respect to your dedication. Do you have an overall profit/loss since you started?

dennymin wrote: »
    tell me about it, all we can do is get back on the saddle again mate!!:)

Cheers Denny, It's hateful to be one one of these losing streaks, Everything either places or turns into a donkey! I'll hopefully pick a winner tomorrow. :)
    cullen5998 wrote: »
    Respect to your dedication. Do you have an overall profit/loss since you started?

Thanks for the comment Cullen.

+63 points from a starting bank of 100 points dude, Nothing major but happy to be up money! Was constantly losing before I started the thread so it has helped my gambling, Even though the last week or so would suggest otherwise! It went from going great to losing days every day. Ah well, Onwards and upwards.

The Derby - 4:00 Epsom Downs - Rewilding - 2pt e/w @ 13/2 (Bet365)

Will relish the step up in trip to 1 1/2 miles. Should love this quicker ground and after his extremely impressive debut at Goodwood on debut for new yard I think he has a great chance here. Shown last time out that he should get the trip with ease and I think the likely Ballydoyle front runner could set it up perfectly for him to pounce in the final furlong. No better man than Frankie to have on board and he gave him a lovely ride last time out where he did a good time over 1f shorter than tomorrows trip and blew the rest of the field out of the water. Should improve for that run too and I think the quicker ground tomorrow could suit him big time. Jan Vermeer is far too short for me but is on the drift and could go off a decent price but I'm just not convinced he's that good, Won easily last time out but didn't beat much of note in my opinion. Can't be having Bullet Train in stall one either and Workforce didn't impress me that much either last time out. Midas Touch is the main danger for me but he's drawn on the other side too which had poor results on day one although he posted a really quick time last time out and won well in a Group 2. I'll side with Rewilding e/w for my bet and hope he runs to ability, Extremely well bred and should be well able to step up to the plate here if things fall his way which I think they will.

1:40 Epsom Investec Vincent O'Brien Stakes

Taking two in this race. First of all going for Power Series who at the moment is a massive price at 14/1 at the moment and looks serious value. He's very well bred and gets this trip no bothers, Last time on the Turf he finished 3rd in a race of this class at Newmarket which was a quick enough time on GS ground and I think he should enjoy the quicker ground tomorrow, Based on breeding anyways. I think if taking to the quicker ground then Power Series can have the beating of the Favorite here and most of the others. Drawn high which produced most of the winners today and William Buick on board and he's more than capable of getting this one to place at least.

The other one I fancy is the Hannon horse, Quick Reaction, Who is stepping up in class from class 4 where he came second last time out, But probably should of won it. They turned in a quick enough time on Good ground too. He has also won here, Albeit in a Maiden over 1 mile but has proved he can stay this with ease last time out and Hughes on board and only carrying 8-10 in weight could put him in the frame. Likes to come off the pace which has proved dividend for the horses on day one in a few of the races and Hughes will know exactly what to do. Drawn high too, And could be in with a squeak.

Verdict :

Back - Power Series - 1pt e/w @ 14/1 (Bet365)
    Back - Quick Reaction - 1pt e/w @ 10/1 (Bet365)

8:45 Pontefract - Elijah Pepper - 2pts e/w

Backed this fellow last time out when he came 6th but didn't get a clear run at all and was only 3 1/2 lengths away from the winner. I think he'll go better here today and is forecast to be about 7/1 and looks a cracking e/w price if he's tuned up for it. Gibbons takes the ride for David Barron and both of them are in great form of late. Elijah Pepper won here off this mark in '08. He'll appreciate the quick ground and if he gets a good position and a clear run I think he'll win this. Finished behind Klynch last time out but I'd say he'd of beat him with a clear run through. Elijah Pepper is the only one David Barron is sending out tomorrow and he'll hopefully be trying to get a win out of him soon, The market will tell its own story more than likely and if there's a move on it then hopefully it'll be The Barron's money. Solid e/w chance hopefully and looks a winner waiting to happen.

Only posting now because the forum was down yesterday! 6/1 taken on Elijah

2:15 Folkstone - Yurituni - 1pt e/w @ 12/1

Looks back to a winnable mark, 2lbs higher than last win. Good jockey on board and will enjoy the quicker ground. Would have my doubts about the three ahead of her in the market for various reasons and no doubt the Dettori horse will be all the rage but I think my one has solid claims at the likely good price. It's the only horse the Houghton yard are sending out tomorrow, Although they've never had a winner from 28 attempts here records are there to be broken!

This horse is the most exposed out of the lot of them but has got her neck in front twice winning one decent nursery and a better quality nursery handicap the time before that. Ran ok here on her one run at Folkstone last year and should have a chance here again, Handicapper has been generous with a 5lb drop after a disappointing run last time and has been dropped 9lbs since her first run this year, Sure to win one of her next few races and quite possibly could have a good chance tomorrow in this small field if finding her form again.

Only carries 8 stone 11lbs tomorrow and that could help her get into the frame against others that look a bit high in the weights to me. Duster is the main danger in my opinion, Carrying little weight and looked dangerous on return and probably will come on for that run also, Looks to have lots of speed which the ground will help and the step back to 6f could well help. I'll dutch the two of them and have a 2pts @ 7/2 bet on Duster also.

Duster wins. +5 points from that race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Hill is a great tactician from the front and I wouldn't hesitate in putting him up there with Dettori and Robinson in relation to riding a horse positively from the outset.

I wouldn't class him as a very good rider. He's decent. He's been fortunate in his career and fair play to him for landing a nice retainer but as an overall horseman, I think he is down the pecking order.

Kevin Darley for instance would be a much stronger jockey who again usually had a positive mindset from the off. In comparison between two similar jockey's, Darley would be ahead. Neil Callan is another who fits into this category. Cool jockey with a lovely action.

Apart from the usual suspects in National Hunt, I always thought highly of Leighton Aspell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement