Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dunno?

well done Pyro, Glad I was on that to thanks mate

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Cheers mate, Taking a more cautious approach now. Hopefully it'll pay off.

Bank 211.22pts (+111.22pts)

Was the race with scorn a close one? heard it finished second

Yeah she came second again, 4 lengths back, Hadn't a hope of winning. Was hoping they'd bring her off the pace like last time but she led most of the race. That just set it up for the Stoute horse. She'll win soon though, It's only a matter of time.

Hopefully mate, I'm taking names of all your winners for future reference :)
    Do you ever go by jockeys when picking a horse? Does that matter much?

• Advertisement

I do take it into account but it's not a huge thing to me, Although I always prefer to have a jockey with at least a 15% strike rate at the track or a similar rate for the trainer. Obviously I'll back ones that don't meet that criteria but it's always a good factor when they are around that mark, Like todays was 18% at the track for the trainer Gosden and 15% when Robinson rides for Johnston. Every little thing counts, But it's not a massive factor.

2:50 Doncaster - Swansea Jack - 1pt

Well bred with lots of speed and stamina, Should prove alot better than his opening three starts but I wouldn't be surprised if that's just to get him a lowly handicap mark. Likely to be better over further than this but is related to a couple of speedy sprinters. Andrea Atzeni takes the ride and he's a jockey I really rate plus he's as good as any in a finish and could be a big asset to getting this horse over the line in first. He gets in here off bottom weight only carrying 8st 1lb. He's trained by Stuart Williams who has a pretty shrewd stable so any market support would only boost his chances. It's the only horse he sends to Doncaster and it's Atzeni's only ride too, He has rode 6 of Williams' three year olds and has had 2 wins, Therefore having a 33% strike rate for him so hopefully he can increase that tomorrow. The horse is soundly drawn and likely to enjoy the ground and if running to his full potential he could have a good chance. Tentative bet though. Bilash was the one who also interested me and I'd rate him as the main danger but I'm not gone on the jockey booking and he's likely to be short enough in the betting so I'll side with Swansea Jack to show his potential in a weak contest off a very low mark. 8/1 on the exchange at the moment and that'd be a lovely price come morning but it could be alot shorter.

One more for tomorrow.

8:50 Chester - Straversjoy - 1pt

Caught my eye last time out when coming 5th behind Captain John Nixon who has went on to win since. Ran into trouble a few times that day and looked like she would of been alot closer if he wasn't short for room. Related to many winners over similar distances to this 10 furlongs and looks to have a sound mix of speed and stamina. Should come on for that last run and prove even better for it, Has to run here from 4lbs out of the weights but with jockey Paul Pickards 5lb claim she'll only be carrying a bottom weight of 7st 9lbs. Well drawn and likely to enjoy the quicker ground. Forecast price of around 16/1 would be nice but I doubt she'll be near that. She could have a decent chance if coming on from her last run and not running into trouble, But it's another tentative one.

Found one more.

9:30 Newcastle - Ya Boy Sir - 3pts

Won easily last time out in an apprentice race despite being short of room at one stage, Gets no penalty for that win but has to run from 4lbs out of the weights here. Still only carries 7st 12lbs with Paul Hanagan on board and he's on fire this season. He also has a decent record here with a 10% strike rate and a small profit to level stakes. He doesn't ride often for Wilson but had one ride for him a couple of weeks ago and won well. Ya Boy Sir has lots of speed and has the potential to kick on and improve after gaining the win that eluded him for 10 runs. At these weights I can't see past him although Patch Patch looks like he could be a big danger after his win last time out but Ya Boy Sir is open to more improvement and could well strike whilst the iron is hot. Medium sized bet for me, Likely to be around 3/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭dennymin

x PyRo wrote: »
    One more for tomorrow.

8:50 Chester - Straversjoy - 1pt

Caught my eye last time out when coming 5th behind Captain John Nixon who has went on to win since. Ran into trouble a few times that day and looked like she would of been alot closer if he wasn't short for room. Related to many winners over similar distances to this 10 furlongs and looks to have a sound mix of speed and stamina. Should come on for that last run and prove even better for it, Has to run here from 4lbs out of the weights but with jockey Paul Pickards 5lb claim she'll only be carrying a bottom weight of 7st 9lbs. Well drawn and likely to enjoy the quicker ground. Forecast price of around 16/1 would be nice but I doubt she'll be near that. She could have a decent chance if coming on from her last run and not running into trouble, But it's another tentative one.

N/R today mate!!

• Advertisement

Found one more.

9:30 Newcastle - Ya Boy Sir - 3pts

Won easily last time out in an apprentice race despite being short of room at one stage, Gets no penalty for that win but has to run from 4lbs out of the weights here. Still only carries 7st 12lbs with Paul Hanagan on board and he's on fire this season. He also has a decent record here with a 10% strike rate and a small profit to level stakes. He doesn't ride often for Wilson but had one ride for him a couple of weeks ago and won well. Ya Boy Sir has lots of speed and has the potential to kick on and improve after gaining the win that eluded him for 10 runs. At these weights I can't see past him although Patch Patch looks like he could be a big danger after his win last time out but Ya Boy Sir is open to more improvement and could well strike whilst the iron is hot. Medium sized bet for me, Likely to be around 3/1.

3/1 taken.

Swansea Jack ran well but just not well enough.

Getting my Derby bet up early, I've already got a nice wedge on @ 5/1 from a few days ago but I'm going back for more.

Sunday - 5:10 Curragh - Monterosso - 5pts @ 7/2 (Bet365)

I can't see past my new favorite horse in this race, I've been banging on about him since he won a maiden way back in January. I thought he'd just go on to be a very good handicapper but then realized there's a few Group races in him at the very least, Won so impressively last time out in the King Edward Stakes (Group 2) at Ascot beating some good types like Buzzword, At First Sight, Green Moon (A horse I really rate) and Bullet Train. He impressed me so much that day and there's more improvement to come and I don't think current favorite Cape Blanco is as good as him, Although everyone seemed to be banging on about him before he flopped in the French Derby but Monterosso has the turn of foot to beat him and should be suited by the likely pace set by At First Sight. The other main danger is probably Jan Vermeer but I don't believe the hype about him, He beat some statues at The Curragh and somehow went off favorite in The Epsom Derby but he's not as good as he's hyped up to be in my opinion. I wouldn't be too worried about the rest of them, They don't look up to the mark, Although Midas Touch could turn out to be a better horse than he has shown but he was behind Jan Vermeer in the Derby and I don't see him reversing that form.

Monterosso has been supplemented for this race at a cost of €150,000 so they obviously aren't making the trip over for no reason, Frankie gets the ride despite originally being touted to ride Chabal but they've let him choose Monte. Frankie clearly knows exactly how to get the best out of this fellow having guided him to two very impressive wins so hopefully he can make it a third here. He doesn't make too many trips to The Curragh but has a 17% strike rate here. Mark Johnston usually gets the best out of these special horses once they come around and he'll have him tuned up perfectly for it. Monterosso will stay all day and is likely to get the race to suit his style, He has pace to burn and the determination of a lion, He always looks like he wants to get to the front and win which is what I love about him. Plus he has won me a few nice sums before. :p If he doesn't win he'll put in one hell of a fight but I think he has it all and can do the job, A bit short in the betting at the moment but I'd say he'll only get shorter so I'll go in for some more now. I've two max bets on him already! Let's hope he does himself justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭whitts

Getting my Derby bet up early, I've already got a nice wedge on @ 5/1 from a few days ago but I'm going back for more.

spill the beans lol :D

whitts wrote: »
    spill the beans lol :D

Ah I've more than I should have on him. :p

Poor effort yesterday.

Bank 207.22pts (+107.22pts)

2:30 Newcastle - Poet's Place - 3pts @ 4/1 (Bet365 - BOG)

Son of a former group performer who was 4th in a Group 1 and placed in Group 2 and Group 3 races. Won first two starts by 4l including a handicap last time out on the AW at Lingfield where The Barron has a great record. Ran well last time out on turf debut coming 5th, 2 1/2 lengths behind the winner. Probably would of won that race had he not met trouble along the way, He showed plenty of speed in the final furlong and if getting a clear run today he can go alot closer than last time and prove his undoubted ability. He's the only horse sent out by David Barron today and could go on to be a very classy individual, Unexposed, With only 3 runs to date despite being a 5 year old and has plenty of scope for improvement. Should put in a bold bid in what looks a slightly easier task than last time out.

Phillip Makin takes the ride and he's a very good sprint jockey in my opinion and he was on board on Poet's Place's only two races so far, So he should hopefully know how to get the most out of him. He and The Barron have been in good form in the last couple of months and with a bit of luck in running I think they could add to the tally. Depending on how the market goes tomorrow I might go back in for some more if there's a decent move as there usually is with Barron's fancied horses, Should have a good chance regardless.

Disappointed with Monterosso. :( He ran ok, Just not good enough. Apologies to anyone who followed. He'll get ye back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Disappointed with Monterosso. :( He ran ok, Just not good enough. Apologies to anyone who followed. He'll get ye back.

You shouldnt be apologizing to anyone, you dont force anyone to bet!!!
    Sorry to know you missed out man, you mentioned you lumped quite a bit on him.
    Sure theres always tomorrow :D

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    You shouldnt be apologizing to anyone, you dont force anyone to bet!!!
    Sorry to know you missed out man, you mentioned you lumped quite a bit on him.
    Sure theres always tomorrow :D

Cheers Mr Yellow, I just hate it when I select a loser and the chances that I cost someone else a few quid too. He ran a game race coming 4th beaten by 3 lengths but just couldn't do it. I had alot on him but it wasn't even close to the amount he won me since I started backing him way back in January. He's a brilliant horse for me. Hopefully he'll do the job in the St Ledger if all goes well, There's a few pound to be made on him yet I hope. :D Thanks for your comment much appreciated, Hopefully I'll have a couple of winners tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Cheers Mr Yellow, I just hate it when I select a loser and the chances that I cost someone else a few quid too. He ran a game race coming 4th beaten by 3 lengths but just couldn't do it. I had alot on him but it wasn't even close to the amount he won me since I started backing him way back in January. He's a brilliant horse for me. Hopefully he'll do the job in the St Ledger if all goes well, There's a few pound to be made on him yet I hope. :D Thanks for your comment much appreciated, Hopefully I'll have a couple of winners tomorrow.

I hear ya man, but thats life sure!! Was listening to the race in the car with me ould ones, was thinking will they pay out 4 places ha! (not up there with how it works!). Think i won on him before, thanks to you prob!

Keep the head high, you have made alot of folk money on here in the past & i'd bet half havent even given you a measly thanks...

Keep the faith :cool:

I hear ya man, but thats life sure!! Was listening to the race in the car with me ould ones, was thinking will they pay out 4 places ha! (not up there with how it works!). Think i won on him before, thanks to you prob!

Keep the head high, you have made alot of folk money on here in the past & i'd bet half havent even given you a measly thanks...

Cheers again, Pity he couldn't just place at least but he ran a creditable race, Although I thought he'd win it but not to be! Yeah I put him up here a few times so maybe you seen him here. He always gives his best anyways, Just couldn't cope with being turned out so quickly again I'd say. There's a Group 1 in him yet. ;) 12/1 for the St Ledger in September, Hopefully he'll drift a bit more.

Thanks again, Hopefully a couple of winning days are coming up. :D I'll have the bets up in a couple of hours when I'm done going through the cards. All the best dude.

2:45 Pontefract - Nurai - 2pts

Yet to get off the mark but ran well for long times during those races before fading, Takes a drop in trip now and that could well do the trick. The trainer doesn't often visit here, Has only run 8 horses here before but the last two he sent out in 2008 won. This is the only horse he's sending to Ponte tomorrow and she could be in with a decent chance. Bred with plenty of speed and this should be her optimum trip. Doesn't look the most difficult of races and it's probably alot less competitive than the races she has ran in previous to this and I think it could be an ideal chance to get her off the mark. The two recent winners, Abu Dubai and Silly Gilly will probably be all the rage so hopefully that ensures a decent price, But I think them two could be vulnerable under 7lb and 5lb penalties respectively.

Nurai is dropped a further 2lb's by the Handicapper and 6lbs overall from her first H'cap run and she may have been given a decent chance of winning this. She comes out top on alot of the speed ratings and could well run these into the ground in the last couple of furlongs depending on what tactics are used, Was fairly prominent last time out, But raced from the rear on most other occasions, But has the speed and ability to win this if the drop in trip does the trick, Which I think it will. Drawn soundly in stall 2. Franny Norton takes the ride and he's a more then capable rider, He has won 5 from 17 for this trainer on the flat giving them a 29% strike rate which is very impressive. She's one of only two rides for him tomorrow at Pontefract. Has to have a decent chance in a weak looking affair, Forecast around 5/1 would be nice but I doubt it'll be that high, Here's hoping for a winner.

• Advertisement

4:15 Pontefract - Sheiling - 1pt

Very well bred and related to alot of winners for 7f to 12f. Shaped as if needing further than 11f last time out and has now been stepped up to 12 furlongs which could help bring out the best in her, I backed her last time out and thought she ran a creditable race and stayed on for a decent 4th, 6 lengths behind a typical Prescott improver, Bona Fortuna. Dropped a further 2lbs for that race which only helps the cause, She's unexposed and open to alot of improvement especially with the step up in trip. Last time out she was in an apprentice race with a poor jockey on board but today she'll have Tony Hamilton on board and he's a capable jockey with a 11% strike rate on the turf for Fahey, And despite Fahey not being in great form of late I think he could have one in the winners enclosure tomorrow if she runs to ability. Richard's horses usually go well around here and he usually has a winner every time he comes here, He has a 10% strike rate at the track too. With a good jockey on board, Potential improvement, Step up in trip and likely to get a truly run race which will suit, Then I think she could well be the value of the race, Currently hovering around 8/1 on the 'fair and that'd be a nice price to get come morning if it's available.

The Prescott horse, Cheyenne Chant, Strikes me as the obvious danger, Running off a low mark and well supported last time out but looked as if she needed the run, But I think she mightn't win on her turf debut and could be one for next time out. Meetings Man should be on the premises as usual but finds winning tought and with a high enough mark and an average jockey I also feel he's opposable. There's a couple of others in with chances but Sheiling caught my eye and I fancy her to improve into a decent enough sort and she's sure to pick up a few of these contests in the future, Hopefully starting tomorrow.

Well said mellow! you never force anyone to bet mate, and you shouldn't have to say sorry, you win some you lose some, but in your case its more in favour of the former than the latter!! keep at it fella! your playin a storm!;)

dennymin wrote: »
    Well said mellow! you never force anyone to bet mate, and you shouldn't have to say sorry, you win some you lose some, but in your case its more in favour of the former than the latter!! keep at it fella! your playin a storm!;)

Thanks very much Denny, Top man. :)

3/1 taken for Nurai. Nearly woke up to late.

7/1 for Sheiling.

Lovely, Needed that.

how'd your last one run ? saw they came in second, but never got to see it?

Didn't see it either, Pulled well clear of the rest but had no chance with the winner I'd say. Was well supported went off @ 9/2. Should of went each way on it but no harm.

+5 today. Which pays for one of my Monterosso bets thank God!

Bank 204.22pts (+104.22pts)

7:10 Windsor - Feeling Fragile - 1pt e/w @ 8/1 (Bet365)

I think there's each way value to be found in this race by opposing Fazbee who is extremely short in the betting @ 11/8 and not worth backing at that price. Feeling Fragile caught my eye on a few occasions and is worth another try here, She shaped decently on return this season coming 5th off a mark of 72 but flopped on next two occasions, Failing to settle last time when beaten by 6 lengths. Well in here at the weights due to age and sex allowances and that could put her well in the mix if she settles during the race. She's soundly bred and has the ability to pick up a few of these races, She's unexposed and open to improvement. Andrea Atzeni takes the ride and he's an exceptional jockey in my opinion, He doesn't often ride for Pay Eddery but he has had a few winners for him lately and is 5 from 23 overall, Giving them a 21% strike rate which is more then decent. Drawn high in stall 10, Lower numbers tend two have the best results here over 6f but the highest stalls usually do quite well too so it may not be much of a hindrance. Should have a good chance of placing and could well do even better if she settles. Looks a decent e/w proposition to me.

7:25 Musselburgh - Bateleur - 2pts @ 5/1 (Victor Chandler)

Took advantage of a falling mark to win last time out, Only risen 4lb's now and down in grade here. Won impressively last time out and was given a good ride by Chris Catlin who is on board again today, He won by just over a length and is likely to be suited by the strong pace here and could well get the chance to pounce late when the front runners start to tire. Drawn widest of all which is a grand place to be here, Should love the ground and the likely pace will be ideal for him. First time in a long time running over the minimum 5f trip as he usually races closer to 6f but has plenty of speed and will hopefully get the race to suit his tactics. Mick Channon trained, And he has a good record around here with a 16% strike rate and his runners usually run with credit here. He and Catlin have had a nice few winners over the last month and can hopefully add to that here. Looks a very winnable race with C&D specialist Raccoon being the most likely danger but he's 10 now and carrying top weight. Bateleur is also entered in the 5:15 at Hamilton tomorrow, Hopefully they're trying to strike whilst the iron is hot. Good chance of winning this at a decent price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

PyRo, follow a fair few of yours, and probably owe ya a few pints at this stage, but hope you're wrong on Fazbee ! was in bookies earlier doing wc bets, did a quick treble with fleetwoodsands and yashrid at 9/4 and 15/8 running onto Fazbee at 13/8.............only 10 but have to go against you this time !

• Advertisement

ghosttown wrote: »
    PyRo, follow a fair few of yours, and probably owe ya a few pints at this stage, but hope you're wrong on Fazbee ! was in bookies earlier doing wc bets, did a quick treble with fleetwoodsands and yashrid at 9/4 and 15/8 running onto Fazbee at 13/8.............only 10 but have to go against you this time !

Cheers Ghost. :D He's the most likely winner alright and probably will win but I couldn't go on him at that price, Plus I'm trying to lower my stakes so I went for the e/w value. Hope it wins for you, It'll be a nice €250 for you hopefully. :D I'll be happy with 2nd or 3rd to be honest. But I can't trust Fazbee who seems to like coming second. :pac: Best of luck Sir.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement