Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

The Nifty Fox missed the break slightly and finished well coming 3rd. I should of went e/w. The win will come for him soon so keep an eye on him. I'm happy that I got the price around right, 5/1 in my book and was backed into 9/2 favourite.

Keep a very close eye on Beat The Bell, switched to the David Barron yard, well backed from 20/1 into 10/1, missed the break and finished best of the rest to come 4th. He'll do very well in the future and I reckon he'll win next time out. One for the tracker.

Goodwood Starlight didn't travel at all. I be on him next time he's out over 12f on ground no better than Good. Clearly worth avoiding on the AW, unfortunately.

Bank - 272.25pts (+172.25pts)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

hard luck,

Cheer mate, I rarely have two good days in a row for some reason, apart from at the big meets.

That's a good sign for tomorrow, it means it'll be a profitable day. :D

I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

x PyRo wrote: »
    The Nifty Fox missed the break slightly and finished well coming 3rd. I should of went e/w. The win will come for him soon so keep an eye on him. I'm happy that I got the price around right, 5/1 in my book and was backed into 9/2 favourite.

Cheers Pyro, I did him e/w at 8/1:)

Might let it ride on the irish game to be a draw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Cheer mate, I rarely have two good days in a row for some reason, apart from at the big meets.

That's a good sign for tomorrow, it means it'll be a profitable day. :D

I hope.

Haha,I'm the same. You have a great day one day and say the next 'That's it,i'm gonna be loaded by the end of the day' and you end up right where you were at the start of the day before :pac:

I just looked at the winner of that second race,it drifted from 7/2 out to 7/1,completing a 5 timer!

These are for Eliza, I'm not backing them myself. Using the points scale to show how much I'd fancy it, not what I'm staking! Not typing out the reasoning but they've been thoroughly checked. :)

2:10 Leopardstown - Rose Hip - .5pts e/w
    2:40 Leopardstown - Bethrah - 2pts @ 4/1 (VC)
    3:10 Leopardstown - Ask Jack - 1pt e/w
    3:45 Leopardstown - Twice Over - 2pts @ 4/1 (WillHill)
    4:30 Leopardstown - Notalossonya - 2pts

Best of luck and enjoy your day. As I say Irish racing isn't my strong point so apologies if all over them run like mules but they all have solid claims IMO bar maybe Rose Hip but that one showed enough LTO to suggest that a return to it's Listed win abilities should come around any time soon.

Busy busy busy fun filled day. :D C'mon Starspangledbanner.

2:00 Haydock - Cityscape - 1pt @ 11/2 (PaddyPower)

Been waiting for this fellow to come back since his run in April. He was a very smart two and three year old, placing in Group 2 & 3 contests and was sent off 16/1 in the 2000 Guineas in which Sea The Stars won. He finished out the back of the field but was reported sore and wasn't seen for nearly a year. He came back to finish an excellent 4th in the Newbury Spring Cup off top weight. Next time out he was backed from evens into 4/9 in a Listed race, he finished a neck behind King Of Dixie mainly due to running all over the place which cost him a victory. He clearly has lots of ability and looks over priced considering his placings at Group level. Robert Charlton has hit a bit of form lately with 20% of his horses in the last couple of weeks winning their races. He has a good 18% strike rate at this course and 4 of the last 15 he has sent here have won. Steve Drowne takes the ride today and he has been on this fine colt 5 times, winning once and coming second 3 times. He rides the course well and has an 11% strike rate and has won on 7 of his last 26 rides here. Cityscape clearly has a lot of ability and if he copes with the 4 month absence I think he'll be on the scene today and should push Awzaan all the way, he is the horse who I consider his biggest challenger here. He may find 1m a bit far and has no form over this distance bar coming 2nd last in the 2000 Guineas this year. He looks too short at 11/4 and despite being an impressive 2 year old and a Group 1 winner I feel he's certainly opposable. Cityscape should love the quick ground and the track will suit him so hopefully he can put his break to one side and prove up to the task here, just a small bet but he warrants a lot of respect in this company and is overpriced at 11/2. He's a 7/2 shot in my book and seems underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Can we expect a lot of selections from ya tonite Pyro? I'm in work tomorrow so I think I'll be glued to my phone all day!

• Advertisement

Quite a few I'd say mate, all will be up by 4 or 5am anyways. Back to the racing for me now. Speak later. :pac:

I've gone for Cityscape too,hope he comes in for both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Not a chance! A horse with that many problems is no value at 11/2. He first has to show hes fit and healthy, then go and win the race!

Good Luck!

;)

EDIT:
    Well, hes got a chance :P

Depends on what you consider value. Plenty of things there suggest to me that he's too big at that price. Although I actually mis-read the ground, I though it was quick but I had the Leopardstown page open at the same time. :o It's actually going to be Good/GS I'd expect, which doesn't enhance his chances. He's still value in my book and that's all that matters to me!

Good luck too. :)

2:30 Haydock - Archers Road - 1pt e/w @ 14/1 (StanJames)

Trained by my favourite trainer, David Barron. Ran well last time out when a 3l 4th behind the ever improving Perfect Blossom, he veered badly right at the start of that race and ran well considering, it was on rapid ground also which isn't his forte. The ground today should be Good/Good-to-Soft which should be perfect for him. He's an ultra consistent horse and has only been out of the top four on 5 of 19 occasions, 4 places are paid here assuming things stay as they are which should help. He had many a good run at Listed level and now is making his 4th handicap start, I expect he'll win again pretty soon, he won first time out off this mark for his new stable and David Barron has a very good record in these sorts of races and with this sort of horse. He was a good 2 year old for Mick Channon winning 3 times during a hectic season in which he ran 16 times. There is a lot of impressive form throughout his previous races and I expect he'll give a good account of himself here, he's severely overpriced at 14/1 and I had him as an 8/1 shot in this race. Paul Mulrennan takes the ride which is interesting as he rarely rides for Sir Barron and he has also been riding well of late. David Barron has a good 14% strike rate on course and only comes here with this fellow today. He is 5/15 (33%) at the course since this time last year and his horses clearly go well here, I expect a big run from Archers Road and he has a lot going for him bar the low draw, but with his running style I don't expect that to be too big a problem and the lowest stall won this race last year. 14/1 is great value for his chances and if he's that price come race time I'll be surprised, also if there's money from him tomorrow I may also have to jump in again as any well backed Barron horse is worth following. He should go well. Last years winner Cheveton took my eye for a long time but he hasn't been in good form this year but he won impressively last year from a 7lb higher mark and also is 2/2 at the track. The ground should be ideal for him and despite being drawn in stall 1 he stands a decent chance, he won this race from that stall and was in poor form before the race too, looks well treated and could end up as a big danger to my selection. I'll also select him with smaller stakes just in case he runs to the undoubted ability that he has. He's a massive price at 16/1 too.

Cheveton - .5pts e/w @ 16/1 (StanJames)

Nulty's just in a huff that he's picked the wrong horse :P

Hahaha pyro I swear I was thinking of throwing a fiver each way on Archer's Road before you put it up :pac:

Mind-readers. :cool:

That means we're both class and gonna win loooooooads tomorrow.

I reckon 11/2 is fair at best. Sure he has promise, but how many times would you have to back him to get your money back? The 2.00 is a tough race and I'd personally prefer to have a horse whos won in the last two years at that kind of price.

But hey, its a game of opinions

• Advertisement

Now for my favourite races, Heritage Handicaps. :)

3:05 Haydock - Kansai Spirit - 3pts @ 5/1 (Ladbrokes)

Constantly improving sort who took 8 runs to get off the mark but done it in good style in an AW maiden. Went on to race on the turf off a mark of 83 and won with ease, traveled well throughout and glided past the rest of the field. Seemed to enjoy the step up to 13f and is now up to 14f which should suit based on the way he was running on last time out, I don't think the 9lb penalty should be of any concern as he is clearly improving at a rapid rate and gets in here carrying 9st 2lbs which is a good help over this distance in my opinion. The form of that Newbury win hasn't stacked up very well but I think this horse has a lovely high cruising speed which will be suited to this course, he's come on leaps and bounds over the past two runs and could go on to prove well ahead of this mark of 92. The Gosden yard is in flying form with 9/25 of their most recent runners winning and he has an exceptional 21% strike rate and this course and of the 4 horses he sent here during August, 2 of them won. His horses clearly go well at the track and I fancy this fellow to follow in their footsteps. William Buick was on him last time out for the first time and he gave him a lovely ride, got him settled out the back and cruised up on the outside of the field and accelerated past them in a matter of strides, if he wanted he could of won by 8-10 lengths with ease. That was on soft-ish ground and he should get similar today if forecasts are to be believed and that will be ideal, he clearly enjoys the cut in the ground and has everything going for him. He should get a good steady gallop also which is another positive. Buick will have learned from his ride on him LTO and clearly got the horse going very well, another canny ride like that should see him in the winners enclosure again. He's a 3/1 shot in my book so the 5's available look very generous and he's worth a medium sized bet and hopefully he can continue his progression here, certainly looks to have a solid chance and if he beats the ever-improving Lady Eclair then I think he'll have the race won. She's the biggest danger but at the weights the Gosden horse gets the nod.

And now for the big one, as mentioned here.

3:35 Haydock - Starspangledbanner - 5pts @ 9/4 (PaddyPower)

No longer near that price now and now a best priced 13/8. There's not much I can say about this fellow apart from he's the best horse in the race, has an electric turn of foot and should be well able to win this. The ground is grand for him and even if it soften a bit his record on soft-ish ground in Australia is quite good. The quicker it is, the better, though. He won two Group 1's for AP O'Brien already, landing the Golden Jubilee Stakes at Ascot and the Darley July Cup at Newmarket, both in impressive fashion and both over 6f, showing plenty of guts in the July Cup especially to repel the charge of Equiano. He then stepped down in trip to 5f for the Nunthorpe. He didn't have the best draw and he's a better 6f horse in my opinion, he ran very well that day all things considered and was finishing like a train but the line came too soon and eventually went down to shock winner Sole Power. He's back up at his best trip now and on a more suitable track and I fully expect him to win this race, especially after Equiano has been pulled out. Colm O'Donoghue gets to ride him instead of Johnny Murtagh who will be riding in Leopardstown instead, that looks a big step down in jockeys but O'Donoghue rides him out every day and should know how to get the best out of this fellow. He's drawn in stall 5 so it will be a tactical affair and he more than likely won't get the lead which isn't ideal but he showed last time out that he can be ridden either way and if that was a 6f race he would of won it. He's the best horse in the race and I fully expect him to go very well on the back of a likely strong gallop set by Markab, who I feel is a bit short at 10/1 and should be at least double that. Starspangledbanner should stand a very solid chance at winning this race, he was great value at 9/4, not so much now but I was expecting him to be around 5/4 so I'm happy with my price. Max bet, first in a while and hopefully it'll be worth it.

That's more than enough for me, just going to watch the Leopardstown and Kempton racing and select nothing from it. Too tired also!

Total Staked - 12pts

Should be a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Should be a great day.

Yep and thanks for posting the selections. Wanted to add them to a mini-bet I had for the interest over the day :cool:

No problem mate, keeps me disciplined so it's well worth posting them. :D

Here's hoping. *crosses fingers*

Markab, who I feel is a bit short at 10/1 and should be at least double that."

Jaysus!?! There not much I can say to that! Your the man in the profit....

hahaha I knew I'd get ya. :pac:

Forgot to remove it from my posts on other forums though. :D

Markab is by far the weakest horse in the field,I wouldn't take him at 66/1.
    I heard he's running in a claimer at Sligo when he doesn't win this one.

Got ya Nulty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

And now for the big one, as mentioned here.

3:35 Haydock - Starspangledbanner - 5pts @ 9/4 (PaddyPower)

No longer near that price now and now a best priced 13/8. There's not much I can say about this fellow apart from he's the best horse in the race, has an electric turn of foot and should be well able to win this. The ground is grand for him and even if it soften a bit his record on soft-ish ground in Australia is quite good. The quicker it is, the better, though. He won two Group 1's for AP O'Brien already, landing the Golden Jubilee Stakes at Ascot and the Darley July Cup at Newmarket, both in impressive fashion and both over 6f, showing plenty of guts in the July Cup especially to repel the charge of Equiano. He then stepped down in trip to 5f for the Nunthorpe. He didn't have the best draw and he's a better 6f horse in my opinion, he ran very well that day all things considered and was finishing like a train but the line came too soon and eventually went down to shock winner Sole Power. He's back up at his best trip now and on a more suitable track and I fully expect him to win this race, especially after Equiano has been pulled out. Colm O'Donoghue gets to ride him instead of Johnny Murtagh who will be riding in Leopardstown instead, that looks a big step down in jockeys but O'Donoghue rides him out every day and should know how to get the best out of this fellow. He's drawn in stall 5 so it will be a tactical affair and he more than likely won't get the lead which isn't ideal but he showed last time out that he can be ridden either way and if that was a 6f race he would of won it. He's the best horse in the race and I fully expect him to go very well on the back of a likely strong gallop set by Markab, who I feel is a bit short at 10/1 and should be at least double that. Starspangledbanner should stand a very solid chance at winning this race, he was great value at 9/4, not so much now but I was expecting him to be around 5/4 so I'm happy with my price. Max bet, first in a while and hopefully it'll be worth it.

C'mon Starspangledbanner.

Ihave a good wedge on him @9/4 as a single and have him in a double with Van winkle.

It could be a good night or a quiet night :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Dont make me quote my SSB ante post bet for the Golden Jubilee @ 16/1 14/1 (i remember how they changed the odds on ToteSport as soon as I made an account :mad:) lads

:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement