Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I don't get it at all!

De Sousa is 7-12

Horse X should be carrying 8-12 but De Sousa's on board.

Where is the other stone after going?! Edit : I've always assumed the horse MUST have the required weight on board? Which is pretty obvious no?

You've confused me. :pac:

If I don't get it by the end of the night I'm just going to stick with my theory that it's in the saddle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ah nuts

Following you Pyro for a whille, what a great day. Pity I didn't do double. But again thank you and suck it to the bookies

Cheers mate, thanks for commenting and I'm delighted you made a few quid. :) Let's keep trying to destroy those bookmakers now!

Hope you stick around.

http://www.ramtips.me.uk/jargon-buster.htm
    WEIGHT CLOTH: A cloth with pockets for lead weights placed under the saddle.

WEIGHTS: Lead strips placed in a weight cloth (as above) to bring the jockey up to the handicap weight of the race.

In the saddle. :D

Edit : Although I now think I understand what you were on about Nulty, I think we had wires crossed!

4.20 Goodwood - Desert Icon - 2pts e/w @ 8/1 (Bet365)

Been keeping an eye on this one of late as I feel a return to winning ways could be fairly soon. Likes to be ridden prominently and usually stays on very well near the end of his races too which could come in very handy here with 3 potential challengers for the lead, he doesn't need to get out in front and may just get a race run to suit here today. He came a gallant second last time out in a small field, they went a bit slow for his liking and he was pulling very hard and wasn't settling at all. He was probably 5th out of 6 coming into the final furlong but ran on gamely to finish second and a good length ahead of anything else. That wasn't the toughest of races at all and he should of been doing a lot better but despite his problems in running the style in which he ran on at the end despite running all over the place, pulling on the bit throughout and not getting a race run to suit.

Desert Icon has had a poor 2010 and wasn't really seeing out his races but it was a good sign to see him run on well last time out. At his peak he was previously rated 86 and runs here off 70 with a 7lb claimer also effectively giving him a mark of 63 to race off a featherweight 8st 4lbs which should surely help the cause. He is used to running in higher quality races than this and even came 2nd of 19 in a big Heritage Handicap at Newmarket last year, only beaten by a neck that day but it's a clear indication that when this horse wants to try he certainly has the ability to do it. He hasn't won since '08 in his 2 year old days but surely a mark of 70 and a featherweight in a handicap like this should see him up his game sufficiently to challenge at least. The visor has been tried on him on the last 3 races he has run and seems to have him interested again and it's left on today, he hit 4.1 (From 22.21) in running in a good class 3 race at Newmarket when tried in the visor for the first time and seemed a big danger but faded near the end, wasn't so much of a danger last time out but stayed on which he didn't do when looking likely to place at least in that class 3 race. The bigger field will suit him perfectly and with 14 declared he should be able to get settled and his better performances have come in larger fields. He should get soft ground here which is ideal based on his only win in a maiden coming on a soft surface in a race which he won easily. There is plenty of decent form along the lines of this fellow and he has been unlucky in a few races and I'll be following him until he wins, he certainly has enough ability to pick up a race like this and has conditions to suit tomorrow and a good young 7lb claimer on board who has a 26% strike rate when riding for William Knight, which is obviously impressive. Knight's horses usually go well here and he has a decent 10% strike rate, sends 3 here today and Desert Icon could well be his best chance in my opinion. He's worth decent each way stakes with plenty of things going for him today and could be finding that spark returning, 8/1 looks generous and he's an 11/2 shot in my book which makes 8's look fine each way value with 1/4 the odds. Will hopefully go well at a nice price and it's my only bet of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Pyro man , well done the good run of form yesterday. Wasn't on them myself as I'm up in college at the minute however, I have one tip for you.

Perhaps take a day off?
    Your write-ups often go until 4 or 5 in the morning.

I know I sound like an auld granny, but rest it awful important, and staying up till those hours in the early morning are indeed unnatural for the human body.

That said, if it's making ya money then you can't complain, but just try get some more rest!

*Awaits "I can sleep when I'm dead" comment*

:d

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

x PyRo wrote: »
    I don't get it at all!

De Sousa is 7-12

Horse X should be carrying 8-12 but De Sousa's on board.

Where is the other stone after going?! Edit : I've always assumed the horse MUST have the required weight on board? Which is pretty obvious no?

You've confused me. :pac:

If I don't get it by the end of the night I'm just going to stick with my theory that it's in the saddle. :D

Yes, the weight differential is put in the saddle in lead weights...I thought you knew that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭OneForTheTeam

Doocey wrote: »
    Pyro man , well done the good run of form yesterday. Wasn't on them myself as I'm up in college at the minute however, I have one tip for you.

Perhaps take a day off?

I know I sound like an auld granny, but rest it awful important, and staying up till those hours in the early morning are indeed unnatural for the human body.

That said, if it's making ya money then you can't complain, but just try get some more rest!

Pyro is not human, he is a machine sent back in time to clean out bookies:cool:

Nulty wrote: »
    Yes, the weight differential is put in the saddle in lead weights...I thought you knew that

I was pretty sure that was it yeah but you confused me with all your "force" stuff!

Doocey, no. :p I'll be OK. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Being backed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

4.20 Goodwood - Desert Icon - 2pts e/w @ 8/1 (Bet365)

3rd place. SP was 9/2 on PP!:eek:

I'm happy with the place money, stayed on well despite getting hit at the start and getting little racing room until the final furlong, excuses and all but it's the truth! He was well punted from 8/1 > 9/2, so I'm happy with the selection. Hope they step him up to 7f next time out, that'll do the trick IMO.

+2pts today.

Edit : Putting in the bank too, forgot!

Bank - 313.39pts (+213.39pts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Bah I take a week off the horses and everyone does well...! Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

Excellent tips, xPyro. I've been browsing over them the last while and they always seem to win or place! Good to see somebody who just might have an edge against the bookies in the long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭YohanCabeye7

Doocey wrote: »

Perhaps take a day off?

You don't know what time he wakes up at :pac:

@ Pyro: You ever look at doing insurbet 1st place on your shoter priced picks? 3 - 6/1

scopper wrote: »
    Bah I take a week off the horses and everyone does well...! Congrats.

That's always how it goes mate. :( Cheers though.
    Excellent tips, xPyro. I've been browsing over them the last while and they always seem to win or place! Good to see somebody who just might have an edge against the bookies in the long run!

Thank you very much TNF, after the first 4 or 5 months of the thread being a learning process and a massive yo-yo effect (In and out of profit) I've finally managed to get a routine of constant weekly profit thankfully, although I do have the odd losing week but since learning a few more things (bookmaking for value etc) it has certainly helped me get that bit of an edge needed. Into the 9th month of the thread and it's in good profit and hopefully I can keep it going, certainly helps when I know people actually look at it which keeps me wanting to do better! :) Thanks for your comment and hope to see you around.
    You don't know what time he wakes up at :pac:

@ Pyro: You ever look at doing insurbet 1st place on your shoter priced picks? 3 - 6/1

I go to sleep at around 6 in the morning and get up at 10 or so. I don't need much sleep anyways! :pac:

Nope, not my thing mate, I'm more all or nothing and I'd have to lose out on some points just to get my stake back if it placed. I'd rather go each way but I prefer not to go e/w unless it's 8/1+ with 1/4 the odds or 10/1 with 1/5. Insure place betting just doesn't do it for me!

4:20 Musselburgh - Boundaries - 2pts @ 6/1 (PaddyPower)

Consistent 2 year old who finally got off the mark at the 10th attempt last time out over C&D, made all that day and went away from the other 3 competitors in decent fashion. He's very consistent and has only been out of the top 4 once in his 10 race career. He has been campaigned at various trips from 5f as far as 7f but has only ran over a minimum 5 furlongs on 3 occasions with form reading 2-2-1, which is obviously impressive. Two of those runs came with cut in the ground which he seemed to love, including a 1 length defeat to Dingle View in a stronger field than this. That horse has since went on to win a Group 3 at The Curragh in good fashion beating some fine horses. Boundaries was hampered at the start of that race and ended up being held up, had to switch right to get a run with 2f to go to get some racing room and ran on extremely well and could of gone a lot closer with a bit more luck. The form of that race doesn't stack up too well bar Dingle View winning and only one other horse won since and that was off a lowly mark of 69 on the AW at Kempton. Before that race he ran a good second to Richard Fahey's horse, Chiswick Bey, who placed in the York Yearling Stakes behind stablemate, Wootton Bassett, and was ahead of many other good types.

There is some nice pieces of form to be found with my selection and if the rain comes at Musselburgh as forecasts predict then the bit of cut in the ground should help Boundaries greatly, although he handles all ground. He's well drawn in stall 1 and if attempting to make all he has the perfect chance to hug the rail and try and blitz his opponents here but he has 4 contenders for the lead, which based on tactics used lately, would suggest that isn't ideal for him but if he sits in behind them I think he can be equally effective as he finished so strongly in the race behind Dingle View coming off the back of a strong pace, suggesting that he could well prove better ridden that way. David Allan takes the ride and he's a very good jockey in my opinion, he has been on board this fellow 5 times, coming second twice and fourth three times. He was on board the two runs (2nd place finishes) behind the horses I consider to have franked the form to no end. Allan is riding out of his skin so far this month and his strike rate for September is just slightly about 33% from 23 rides (8 won) which is highly impressive. Boundaries is trained by the wonderful Tim Easterby who has seen his yard run into a good run of form over the last month after having a poor enough time of it and interestingly this is the only horse he sends to Musselburgh, which is a course that he has a fine 15% strike rate and 5 of his last 17 (30%) sent here have won. His horses clearly enjoy the course and this fellow seemed to run very well on it last time, though this is a lot tougher. He's now visored for the first time and hopefully that will spark a bit more improvement and get him to concentrate on the job at hand and if it does I feel he's better than a 78 rated animal. I think he has a lot going for him and despite being up against good horses he has a solid chance of coming on for that experience of getting his head in front and could well follow up if getting some luck in running. He's a 4/1 shot in my book so the 6/1 looks generous and worth small stakes. Sharp 5f should suit perfectly and has a perfect draw to decide whether to make all of sit in behind as the likely challengers for the lead are drawn 8, 9 & 10. I expect a good run and even if he doesn't win today I'll be keeping a closer eye on him in the future, he has the ability to do better than he has and seems to have a good attitude. This is my only selection for the day.

Definitely no more selections, no really good racing until Thursday. Can't wait until Saturday!

Dr. Doocey, I'm going to sleep now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I was pretty sure that was it yeah but you confused me with all your "force" stuff!

Doocey, no. :p I'll be OK. :)

Yeah, but its better that all the weight that the horse is carrying is the jockey and not 1/8th lead weights. I'm gonna drop it here. You should take a keener interest in the the sport. You'll likely make you tipping even more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭domino123

as a matter ov interesnt pyro....
    wat do u look at in a horse before making ur selection?

• Advertisement

domino123 wrote: »
    as a matter ov interesnt pyro....
    wat do u look at in a horse before making ur selection?

Couldn't be saying that dude, it'd give away everything I do. :pac:

i had the winner in the first in listowel:)......bit ov o poets place job ;);)

another winner in listowel 4 me.....pirateer??......satu in the next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

domino123 wrote: »
    another winner in listowel 4 me.....pirateer??......satu in the next

Hi Domino

first of all congrats on the winner, hopfully you can keep it up

May I suggest you ahve a read of the forum charter, especially the bit about after timing, it is something that is frowned upon here as it is akin to boasting

Basically we post up bets before the event so we can celebrate or comiserate if they win/lose and we give reasons for why we think the bet will win that way others might be able to benefit from it

Posting up that you won after the vent really adds little to the discussion

The serious punters here (of which I am not one yet) keep logs where they post their bets so they can track how they are doing, this might be of interest to you or there are usually thread about meets in the Horse/Greyhound Betting forum

Happy Betting!

Hi Domino

first of all congrats on the winner, hopfully you can keep it up

May I suggest you ahve a read of the forum charter, especially the bit about after timing, it is something that is frowned upon here as it is akin to boasting

Basically we post up bets before the event so we can celebrate or comiserate if they win/lose and we give reasons for why we think the bet will win that way others might be able to benefit from it

Posting up that you won after the vent really adds little to the discussion

The serious punters here (of which I am not one yet) keep logs where they post their bets so they can track how they are doing, this might be of interest to you or there are usually thread about meets in the Horse/Greyhound Betting forum

Happy Betting!

greatest apologies:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Agree with you on Boundaries Pyro, think he's too big a price at 6/1 but it's a competitive and open race. I'd have 1. Boundaries, 2. Orchid Street.

Backed it anyhow, hopefully it runs well.

4th in the end. They went an awful rapid gallop and Boundaries couldn't go with them.

Keep an eye on the form of that race, I'd say there'll be quite a few of them worth backing next time out or in the near future.

William Hill Ayr Gold Cup (18th Sep 15:20) - Poet's Place - 5pts @ 7/1 (StanJames)

Barron said if he comes out of the race he won today OK that he'll run, I trust him and if he runs he'll go mighty close. Only 6.2 on the fair, 7's looks generous after todays win and the extra half furlong will be a major plus. Pray for rain too. :)

Best priced 11/2 now. As short as 4/1 in places.

3:30 Haydock - Lochan Mor - 2pts @ 6/1 (VC)

Consistent four year old who rarely turns in a bad performance, he's very much a "nearly" horse who only has one career win to his name, yet he has finished second on eight occasions. He has only been out of the top four on one of his thirteen runs which is obviously impressive, he has lots of speed and will get back to winning ways soon enough if he keeps putting in these performances, he's currently rated as a 79 animal and hasn't been penalized much for his consistency as we sometimes see. He certainly has a race in him off this mark and he's coming back to Haydock where he put in a good performance last year when finishing 4/10 on his second handicap start. He's still relatively lightly raced for a four year old with only thirteen career starts and he's still open to some more improvement and with the ground likely to have a bit of cut in it, he should have ideal conditions come race time.

Last time out Lochan Mor was stepped up to 7f after staying on strongly in his penultimate race over 6f but he found little in the final furlong over a trip that seems to stretch his stamina a step too far, he's dropped back to 6f here which, in my opinion, is by far his most effective trip. Combined with the slower ground I think he has a great chance of notching up win number two at the fourteenth attempt, his form on Good-to-Soft reads 2-2-2 and with a little bit of luck I feel that elusive "1" could be coming fairly soon, hopefully today. Jamie Spencer was on board for his last three races but now Hayley Turner gets the leg up again and she has been on board him four times, with form reading 4-2-3-4. She clearly gets on well with the horse and she has been riding reasonably well of late, she and Michael Bell have only teamed up 21 times at Haydock with 4 winners (19%) and they come down here with two tomorrow to a track here Bell has a decent 14% strike rate from 199 horses sent to Haydock. He came here with just the one horse at the start of this month and that was a winner. The last time Lochan Mor ran over 6f on GS ground in July, he came in a dead heat for 2nd place with Ginger Ted, who has since won on GS off a mark identical to the Bell horse. The 4th placed horse, River Falcon, has also won since, although off a mark of 70. The 6th placed horse, Commando Scott, has since won twice off marks of 60 and 65. Bravely, who was 10th of 11 runners that day has since won also but on a 6lb lower mark. That form stacks up fairly well and Lochan Mor had top weight to contend with that day, he's up against better horses here but carrying 9st 1lb as opposed to top weight against worse horses is certainly something I like to see. He should go very well as usual and with a bit of luck in running from a poor draw in stall 2 should see him have a good chance, he's 4/1 favourite in my book so the 6's available are quite generous in my opinion and I wouldn't be surprised to see him punted in tomorrow. Should run well, especially if the ground softens as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭whitts

pyro, i was told of a tip, vaguely remember the name... think it was something like "will-jimmy-run" ... said to do very well... ring ay bells???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement