Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop advice

Options
  • 11-01-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a new laptop for my sister by Thursday after accidentally wrecking hers. Looking for a standard laptop, main use internet browsing, MS office etc. In other words don't need a very high spec, a good deal would be nice. Are Dell the only way to go here? I know they have an Outlet with refurb stuff...but my sis might not be happy about that! If it looked new, however, I would go for it. Thoughts please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Hey, not an expert or anything but maybe look at:

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computers/cat/Laptops

What specs are you looking for? Windows 7? etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

nellyshark wrote: »
    Hey, not an expert or anything but maybe look at:

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computers/cat/Laptops

What specs are you looking for? Windows 7? etc

Looks nice. Windows 7 would be good. However that laptop would come to around €440. I was hoping to put a cap of €350 on it. Possible anywhere? I'm basically looking for the cheapest decent laptop possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Try Elara.ie but for that price you might only get a Celeron processor - not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭almat1981

I'm in a simlar boat looking for a genral laptop around the €400 mark.Has anyone used ebuyer before, this is the first time i've herd of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Most laptop's costing less than €350 are junk, think €450-€550 for something that will last 3-4 years if looked after.

I think people have reported problems with ebuyer, a search might help you out
    there.

It's very hard to beat Dell in value for money. They are the Ryanair of laptops, take that as you will ;)

I'd recommend the Studio range but will be more than you were hoping to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

On the Dell website , the Inspirion 15 is €377 for the basic model - Celeron , 160GB HD , 1 GB RAM , Vista , no webcam though if that is important.

I am buying one shortly but will spend an extra 100 to get the Inspirion 17 with Pentium Dual Core ,3 GB RAM , Win 7 , 250 GB HD , Webcam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mmcm888

Check out the dell outlet dell.ie/outlet - I've bought two laptops there in the past three months for less than 330 incl. shipping. The are both Celerons but for Internet/MS-Office use they are excellent - one included a webcam. You also need to factor in the cost of getting MS-Office.

As for reliability, I've a 5yo Dell Laptop & a 3yo Dell laptop that are both still running 100% despite being dragged around daily. The newer two (used by the kids) have had no problems (yet!).

m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

check out laptopsdirect.ie usually have some good offers

Advertisement