Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacCurtain Street Pubs, recommendations?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hey All,

Staying down in Cork for a weekend in a hostel on MacCurtain Street soon, with a GAA team. any good pubs nearby? I see from google that there seems to be loads of bars on that street. recommendations?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

There are a few but you'd be as well off having one on the way into town there and then go somewhere like washington street. Its only a 5-10 min walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

The Bru bar is a great spot!

http://www.bruhostel.com/

Quick service, ran by really lovely people who have thankfully and kindly tolerated our excessive drinking many times now! Music is great and it's a great place to hit for a match if you get the great tables near the back.

The buzz there is usually pretty good too as it IS a hostel so you meet some cool people in there and there hasn't been any trouble any of the times I've been there.

I knwo this won't help you much but for future reference, in the summer they do BBQ's and offer the food around to people in the bar!

Hope you enjoy your weekend youthacademy. :)

gpf101 wrote: »
    There are a few but you'd be as well off having one on the way into town there and then go somewhere like washington street. Its only a 5-10 min walk.

You've a good point here. As I stated the Bru is a good spot on MacCurtain street - but if you don't HAVE to stay there DO head into the centre for something a bit more lively!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

Hey All,

Staying down in Cork for a weekend in a hostel on MacCurtain Street soon, with a GAA team. any good pubs nearby? I see from google that there seems to be loads of bars on that street. recommendations?

Cheers

I'd recommend Flux on McCurtain Street.

I'd recommend Flux on McCurtain Street.

Flux is another class spot but I can't imagine a GAA team would enjoy it as much? Hate to be the stereotype but just a heads up as it's a gay bar.

• Advertisement

NoDice wrote: »
    Hate to be the stereotype but just a heads up as it's a gay bar.

I have no doubt the OP won't mind that heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

Flux is another class spot but I can't imagine a GAA team would enjoy it as much? Hate to be the stereotype but just a heads up as it's a gay bar.

lol, cheers, that could have been a funny situation....unless there are some closet donal og's on the team! (please see that funny side to that comment) I wonder how long it would have taken for the penny to drop??

it was just to get an idea, the bru sounds good for a starting point anyways, no doubt a couple of more lively pubs will be visited around town!

Funnily enough my ex was in Chambers recently without knowing it had been changed to a gay bar. He went right up to a fella wearing an Ospreys jersey giving out about the game and noticed the other fella had started rubbing his arm and touching his back. Ha ha! Then suddenly noticed the people around him and what they were doing. :D

Hope you enjoy your weekend anyway! Washington Street, as already stated is a good spot for clubs and the more livelier pubs too though a bit of a trek from MacCurtain street!

I used to go to Chambers about once a month or so on a Saturday night before it changed the target clientelle. Not a bad spot at all, occassionally a few sham type muppets on there but not too bad. One less place on the list of pubs to go to on a weekend evening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Funnily enough my ex was in Chambers recently without knowing it had been changed to a gay bar. He went right up to a fella wearing an Ospreys jersey giving out about the game and noticed the other fella had started rubbing his arm and touching his back. Ha ha! Then suddenly noticed the people around him and what they were doing. :D

Hope you enjoy your weekend anyway! Washington Street, as already stated is a good spot for clubs and the more livelier pubs too though a bit of a trek from MacCurtain street!

Brilliant!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

you could also try Dan Lowry's...it is next to the everyman theatre...you'll get a decent pint in there which can be hard to come by in cork city centre...

http://www.danlowreystavern.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Sorry OP. Flux is no more.

Come to Chambers tho', we rub everyone who comes in 'cos that's what us gay people do.

:rolleyes:

BanzaiBk wrote: »

Come to Chambers tho', we rub everyone who comes in 'cos that's what us gay people do.

In fairness Ms NoDice was just mentioning what happened to her boyfriend in Chambers. No one is thinking that there are orgies going on in there or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Flux is snoopy's now I'm pretty sure, seemed like a grand spot. It'd be Dan lowry's or Brú for me anyway, Sin é is only down the road aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

you could also try Dan Lowry's...it is next to the everyman theatre...you'll get a decent pint in there which can be hard to come by in cork city centre...

http://www.danlowreystavern.com/index.html

loved this place when I first visited it. definitely my pub of choice on MacCurtain st, charm and character to beat the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Personally I wouldnt bother with any pubs on Mc Curtain street, just head straight to Washington street, theres loads of good pubs there,
    Id recommend Reardans and then Havana Browns night club is upstairs from that if you fancy a boogie afterwards! :)

BanzaiBk wrote: »

Didn't mean to insult anybody, I even said Flux was a great spot! :)
    RoverJames wrote: »
    In fairness Ms NoDice was just mentioning what happened to her boyfriend in Chambers. No one is thinking that there are orgies going on in there or anything.

Cheers man!

I'll admit I never really go to Havana's anymore but it's pretty much the only good club IMO in town. Has anyone been to Da Vinci's yet? Next to the Quad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭rockchik

Sometimes a few of the pubs on Oliver Plunkett St can be good fun, you could always start there and then I would defo head to Washington St, if there is a big gang of ye Reardans is good fun, and they generally have good bands there at the weekend too!:D Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Another recommendation here for Reardens on Washington St. Pretty much guaranteed a bit of craic there so it'd be the safest bet for a GAA team I think, it's very popular with GAA teams/supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

the bodega is a good spot, no knacks usually

• Advertisement

The music in the Bodega is good since the new owners/makeover. I doubt the muppet bouncers who insist on having a queue even when the place is half empty would embrace a GAA team though. Also though there is no knacks as mentioned there are quite a few of folk at the complete opposite end of the spectrum ie total knobs, too many of them isn't good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

true, haha

its the best laid out pub/club in cork without a doubt, some serious money spent on it, the main downstairs bar is really cool

and the upstairs heinekin bar is like its off one of the tv ads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

You don't have to be restricted to MacCurtain St. OP. +1 for Sin É. Give Henchy's a try at St.Luke's Cross - it's a nice traditional pub with great drink. Turn left when you come out of The Bru and start walking up the hill, you can't miss it when you're at the top of St.Lukes Cross.The Mutton Lane is also worth checking out. Give Reardons a miss, it's an absolute dump. The Pavillion can be good if you're going out clubbing. All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Reardens wouldn't be my kettle of fish, but if you've got a big gang of GAA heads you'll get on grand. The Pav for me if I was out for the night.

Calling Reardens a dump is a bit harsh isn't it, being a city lad I rarely go there but when I do there isn't much wrong with the place, very GAA/country folk orientated though me thinks, probably narrow minded of me but such is life, I call it as I see it. Sticking to my narrow minded stereotypes lots of the Pav brigade strike me as magic mushrooms type folk, groovy like, well trying to be anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

RoverJames wrote: »
    Calling Reardens a dump is a bit harsh isn't it, being a city lad I rarely go there but when I do there isn't much wrong with the place, very GAA/country folk orientated though me thinks, probably narrow minded of me but such is life, I call it as I see it. Sticking to my narrow minded stereotypes lots of the Pav brigade strike me as magic mushrooms type folk, groovy like, well trying to be anyway :D

Perhaps you're right about the Pav brigade. lol. I don't go there a whole lot but just recommended the nightclub part as it's the only one I've been to (dragged there) in the last 12 months and thought if was ok, albeit a bit drunk anyway. Not a clubbing man myself. It's probably not a great recommendation for a GAA team tbh. The Crane Lane has a late licence and is fairly nice with a great smoking area..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Head to Larry Tompkins bar - GAA friendly and you might get to meet a legend.

Advertisement