Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the grit - roads lethal?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I don't know why I pay road taxes we were told the roads would be open and fine, as our 'fearless' leaders were saving grit/salt to treat our roads to allow us move.

Well didn't see grit, didn't see a snow plow, didn't even see a council worker with a shovel trying to clear pavements in Cork City center. Sure I didn't even see the lanes on the ballincollig by-pass as there was so much snow and that was at 11 this morning!

I had to shovel snow ice off my drive to get out, the least I expect is that the Council have the main roads at least some where cleared.

Once again left down by the top heavy over inflated jokers that collect our taxes but never actually do anything for us, but yet say all is fine the country must go on, we will have the roads open etc etc.

End of rant, needed to get that out, I must 96fm now :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I saw a gritter drive past the house about an hour ago. We're not on a main road either, I guess they are getting around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

cornbb wrote: »
    I saw a gritter drive past the house about an hour ago. We're not on a main road either, I guess they are getting around to it.

Still doesn't explain why the Ballicollig by-pass wasn't treated overnight, if they were saying the main roads would be fine, seems a pretty main road to me.

Also doesn't take much to give a Council man a shovel and send him out to scrape the streets, it is not like they didn't know this weather wasn't coming. The number of students I saw falling while trying to get to college this morning was unreal. That was in around Washington street as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

the gritters are a myth!! they dont exist

Driving to Limerick last night there was both a gritter and a plough on the main road before Mallow. BAdly needed too, even behind the plough 'twas quite bad to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

*Rabble Rabble Rabble* Taxes paid, gimme what I want a fcuk everyooe else. *Rabble rabble rabble*

The whole of Mahon has been done and alot of other places, the best thing that can be said, is wait your turn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

The whole of Mahon has been done

That's a shame. I was hoping a few more of those would get wiped out. :(

That's a shame. I was hoping a few more of those would get wiped out. :(

Naughty naughty :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

*Rabble Rabble Rabble* Taxes paid, gimme what I want a fcuk everyooe else. *Rabble rabble rabble*

The whole of Mahon has been done and alot of other places, the best thing that can be said, is wait your turn.

Yes - saw the gritter leaving Mahon at Lunchtime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

RoverJames wrote: »
    Naughty naughty :rolleyes:

I meant the roads, not the people, matey. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

It is not a case of fcuk everyone else, I left my journey too work later, to allow time for the roads to be treated. At 11am you would expect the main road to Ballincollig to be treated, if I knew it wouldn't be, I would not have risked injury to get to work. Also the amount of crap on the roads means that my tracking is now out in the car big time (which I dont have the money to fix), I would expect this on the lesser used roads and not complain, but on a road that is classed as a 120kmh road it is a joke.

Also in the city center around Patrick Street, Washington Street, Grand Parade the footpaths were not cleared. Come on like it is the main business area of the city, if they couldnt even oraginse to clear them with a brush and shovel what the hell where they doing.

Also yet again like an idiot we are without water, being considerate, we were not putting on as many washes, leaving our taps run all night unlike all the fools who were wasting water filling baths and leaving taps run all night. So it is not a case of "give me what I want fcuk everyone else", as everyone can get along as long as there are small compromises, but in Modern Ireland this has all but dissapeared as is seen by the fools wasting all the water, so now me and a good bit of the city cant have showers yet again.

I don't think it is to much to ask that I have Major Roads cleared, and running water in the year 2010.

• Advertisement

Spindle wrote: »
    Also the amount of crap on the roads means that my tracking is now out in the car big time

Snow and slush on the roads has knocked your tracking out ? I think not to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I have taken all of the grit. It is now mine and if you want some you will be required to dance a merry dance.

Spindle, would you like to begin?

*extends hand to lead*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Heard today from the AA that the country used a years worth of grit in less than a week - its gonna take time for them to come around

Not here to defend the city council, but they have lost a lot of staff since last year, something like 50 per cent is the figure I heard. So they don't have the man power to get to everywhere. Out in UCC, the students and the SU had to go out and clear the college, even though they were told that the college would be safe and gritted on Monday - it wasn't and all the roads and footpaths were lethal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Heard today from the AA that the country used a years worth of grit in less than a week - its gonna take time for them to come around

Not here to defend the city council, but they have lost a lot of staff since last year, something like 50 per cent is the figure I heard. So they don't have the man power to get to everywhere. Out in UCC, the students and the SU had to go out and clear the college, even though they were told that the college would be safe and gritted on Monday - it wasn't and all the roads and footpaths were lethal

Netherlands is the same, have already used 100,000 tonnes of salt and normally 70,000 does them the whole winter.

They even started using bath salts.

http://www.gadling.com/2010/01/10/snowy-roads-in-the-netherlands-may-be-smelling-sweet-this-winter/

Advertisement