Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Footballer in need of some guidance!

Options
  • 11-01-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Ok guys Iv been searching through different threads and Iv seen lots of conflicting opinions and recommendations, so i thought the best thing to do would be to ask here in a new thread, since i cant find anything that applies to my situation.

First off Im a GAA footballer, Im 6"0 and i weigh 72.5kgs and im 22 years old.
    I have been doing weight training for a few years, but i have plateaued for a while now and i want something new and most importantly that works. Im currently recovering from a groin injury which has bugged me for about two years so im not able for cardio for another few weeks but i can weight train. I also want to strengthen my core big time. Iv done the usual plank and bridge to death so im looking to step it up from that

My problem is that iv never been able to put on much weight. I have experience squatting benching cleaning and all that im just looking for someone to lay it out for me really!! And if anyone has any experience with a particular program that would be great, Or if someone knows of a program that high level footballers use that would be great too

So to sum up!!
    Im a footballer, want to develop my core and build my power and strength

All help would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

hey,

I can't answer any of your questions but what strikes me is that if you want someone to put together a programme for you you need to provide them with more info. Maybe you also need to have a think about what you're looking for specifically. Will Heffernan posts here sometimes and has a blog post specifically on Strength and Conditioning for GAA players.

Hope its useful, you can find it here: http://informedperformance.com/will/2009/12/gaa-strength-conditioning/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

What's your current stats in the squat, clean, press, etc?

Please post out your diet in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shane166

Diet currentyl is probably not what it should be

Breakfast: Wheatabix and yoghurt
    Lunch: Ham/Chicken Sandwich on brown bread
    Dinner: Generally Chicken stir fry with veg, Spaghetti bolognese
    Snack on fruit yoghurt during the day

I think dinner may be where i am falling down, Im working nine to six and head straight for the gym so my dinner is quiet late and generally needs to be something that can be cooked quite fast

Squatting rep at 80 - 85
    Bench Rep at 70
    Dead lift rep at 82.5
    Cleans- Not known

Thanks for the input guys

Advertisement